View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Looks very odd, that Visa, with a single exposed row of keys. I'd doubt they'd release it like that.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 03:43 PM
    01-12-15 03:56 PM
    Short Interest
    12/31/2014 118,642,376
    Previous
    12/15/2014 111,509,772

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, W Hoa and 17 others like this.
    01-12-15 04:24 PM
    http://adtmag.com/articles/2015/01/1...pment.aspx?m=1

Explosive Growth Seen in Connected Devices Development -- ADTmag

News

Explosive Growth Seen in Connected Devices Development

As the Internet of Things (IoT) hype cycle gains momentum, connected devices of all kinds were front and center at last week's massive 2015 International CES show, further highlighting one of the hottest niches of mobile development in the coming year.

In fact, research firm Evans Data Corp.'s newest survey of mobile developers shows interest in connected device development nearly doubled over the past year.

The survey of more than 500 developers "revealed that connected industrial devices have increased 191 percent in 2014, from 9 percent to 27 percent of mobile devices being targeted by developers," Evans Data said in hawking its for-sale report. "Though connected industrial devices are commonly found in factory settings, they are helping businesses expand their productivity by moving information from devices to other aggregate data pools, and facilitating much more efficient real-time advanced data analytics."

In addition to the Big Data tie-in, connected device development also fits in well with cloud computing, one of the other primary industry transformations currently underway in the development world, further centering it as a lucrative target for today's mobile developers.

BlackBerry Ltd., former mobile device powerhouse trying to climb back into prominence, is banking heavily on this confluence of factors. At last week's CES show -- self-touted as hosting the largest-ever IoT showcase -- BlackBerry launched its cloud-based IoT Platform.

The new platform leverages technology from BlackBerry company QNX Software Systems, which powers embedded systems in autos, industry and medical devices, combined with BlackBerry's secure network and device lifecycle management software.

"By combining the BlackBerry global network and device lifecycle management proficiency with the embedded software experience of QNX, we have built a modular, cloud-based platform that gives customers the chance to build IoT applications in a secure, efficient and scalable way," BlackBerry said in a statement. "Looking ahead, we will extend the platform with other BlackBerry technologies to give developers additional control over the flow of information to devices on the network's edge."

The BlackBerry IoT Platform is initially targeting the automotive and asset-tracking industries.

Along with BlackBerry, many other companies exhibiting at the CES were targeting automotive technology also, showing its importance in the connected device arena.

Evans Data also noted the significance of automotive applications, pointing out that it provides proof of the maturation of the mobile development environment for connected devices.

"The measure for maturity isn't just the number of installations or percentage of people developing for it; it's also measured in terms of how much it is being extended to other new uses that were not originally envisioned for those platforms," said company exec Michael Rasalan. "For instance, in 2008, we would not have equated Android with car stereos, and now the majority of connected car application developers are targeting Android Auto."

And if you're targeting the Android Auto audio entertainment and messaging service, you're likely using Java, which according to the latest report from careers company Dice is still experiencing high demand from employers.

The demand is so high, Dice said in its January report, that Java is the No. 1 most sought-after skill on the careers site, with some 16,000 open positions advertised every day.

"Java was named one of the top 10 skills hiring managers search for when in the market for cloud candidates, according to our November report," Dice said in a release today. "And considering it's a basis for so many open source projects, demand for tech pros with this programming language doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon."

Industry analysts also emphasized the growing importance of the IoT and connected device development in new reports from John K. Waters, this site's editor at large, about development technology trends for the coming year.

Waters reported that Forrester analyst Jeffrey S. Hammond "sees the pressure growing on mobile and IoT developers to "go native and specialize" because of the quickly separating ecosystems of Google, Apple, and to a lesser extent, Microsoft.

"Whether it's smart watches, home automation or vehicle integration," Hammond said, "the challenge for devs will be to plug into mobile devices and the ecosystems of connected products that are designed to work with them without having to write (and maintain) the same functions in multiple code bases."

So, by all accounts, you're sitting pretty if you're a skilled-up Java coder working on connecting myriad devices that may one day form the basis of one big network serving everybody.

"The 'Internet of Things' is the hottest topic in tech right now," said CES exec Karen Chupka last week. "It's all about the opportunity to connect everyday items like cars, home security systems and kitchen appliances to networked devices like PCs and smartphones for greater control and management of our everyday lives."

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 04:34 PM
    Looks very odd, that Visa, with a single exposed row of keys. I'd doubt they'd release it like that.

Posted via CB10
    Don't jump to conclusion yet.
    Remember when the passport was first leaked, everyone (myself included) thought that it was ugly.
    But the actual device turned out to be both elegant and sexy.
    01-12-15 04:37 PM
    Getting ready to clear my oil shorts and buy more bbry calls...if anyone cares.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and anon(4086547) like this.
    01-12-15 04:37 PM
    Don't jump to conclusion yet.
    Remember when the passport was first leaked, everyone (myself included) thought that it was ugly.
    But the actual device turned out to be both elegant and sexy.
    The conclusion I'd jump to was that 'I'd doubt they'd release it like that'. That means I doubt it will look like that if/when it's released

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 04:59 PM
    Short Interest
    12/31/2014 118,642,376
    Previous
    12/15/2014 111,509,772

Posted via CB10
    The pressure gauge is into red territory and the right spark can send this grounded rocket to the moon.

So this is how many shares it took to keep BlackBerry down. The Nasdaq has been a drag for bbry this new year. Most of the down pressure came from the Nasdaq.

BlackBerry needs to stay away from the Visa and focus on a device that will win over current, past and future customers. John Chen Said it best (can't remember but something like) I will not chase the trend.

In regards to selling the hardware business, he also said BlackBerry security is from phone to software.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:20 PM
    The pressure gauge is into red territory and the right spark can send this grounded rocket to the moon.

So this is how many shares it took to keep BlackBerry down. The Nasdaq has been a drag for bbry this new year. Most of the down pressure came from the Nasdaq.

BlackBerry needs to stay away from the Visa and focus on a device that will win over current, past and future customers. John Chen Said it best (can't remember but something like) I will not chase the trend.

In regards to selling the hardware business, he also said BlackBerry security is from phone to software.

Posted via CB10
    The elastic shorts are stretched to the max there in for an atomic wedgie !!

Z10
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, awindsr and 1 others like this.
    01-12-15 05:42 PM
    Ugh... "too little too late" is an excuse made by those too ignorant to learn for themselves what BlackBerry currently offers and is capable of. I want to puke every time I hear that phrase in reference to BlackBerry.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1154 | Bell | via CB10
    01-12-15 05:42 PM
    I'm surprised you guys haven't been talking about Isis hacking the US twitter accounts...is this relevant news?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 05:58 PM
    I'm surprised you guys haven't been talking about Isis hacking the US twitter accounts...is this relevant news?

Posted via CB10
    Yes and didn't Crackberry have a glitch at around 4:00 pm eastern time ?

Z10
    01-12-15 06:04 PM
    OT: Some have criticized the CBC on here. This story shows the CBC has become a farce.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/am...c-who-paid-her

Even more http://canadalandshow.com/article/up...-reporting-rbc
    Corbu, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    01-12-15 06:05 PM
    Ugh... "too little too late" is an excuse made by those too ignorant to learn for themselves what BlackBerry currently offers and is capable of. I want to puke every time I hear that phrase in reference to BlackBerry.

I love hearing that idiotic expression...usually means it's time to start loading up again.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    01-12-15 06:11 PM
    01-12-15 06:15 PM
    The elastic shorts are stretched to the max there in for an atomic wedgie !!

Z10
    Nice one! To bad I didn't come up with it.
    Lmao
    Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    01-12-15 06:34 PM
    Man...
    01-12-15 06:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    The list just keeps getting longer

http://www.popsugar.com/tech/Crayola...acked-36546689

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-12-15 06:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Single exposed keyboard row is suppose to be touch sensitive and hence double as trackpad.

I think it'd be just cooler to have a slider form factor. 4 row keyboard that hides completely (slides in) and a tool-belt that's below the touchscreen.

Like Torch.

Instead of this gimmicky one exposed row which only serves half the functionality. Toolbelt would have given you trackpad, call/end buttons.

Posted via CB10
    iamagod and CDM76 like this.
    01-12-15 09:24 PM
    Hi _dimi_ !!!!

... and put in two nice golf holes"! Truth is, I need that waterfront to expand my dock further .

So...

Failing the $100 party at SF's, we will all meet at M8's(?)
    01-12-15 10:04 PM
    So...

Failing the $100 party at SF's, we will all meet at M8's(?)
    But just don't tell his wife where he met us...

bungaboy, CDM76 and Bacon Munchers like this.
    01-12-15 10:39 PM
    OT:

MorganPlus8: can you comment on XOMA, THLD, OXGN and AEZS? I've positions ($500 each) in all of them and they are all red (between 30 to 40% loss in each based on current value)
    01-12-15 10:58 PM
    01-13-15 04:42 AM
    Great article. Very well written and informative. Thanks for sharing!

"Network intelligence - our secret weapon". I like it!
    01-13-15 05:17 AM
    Is there or is there not going to be a market correction in a couple of months from now ?

Just want some of your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Z10
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    01-13-15 05:24 AM
113,256 ... 31173118311931203121 ...