View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think I am getting a Classic. I really like the Passport but short space-bar key and it being on the same row as other letter keys is messing with me. I don't think I can get used to that. I can get used to missing symbols and numbers on physical keyboard and using touch for it. But short space-bar key in between letter keys is messing w me.

Q10 to Classic is not really an upgrade. But what the hell, will get it anyway. Hopefully Passport 2.0 would be slightly narrower and have 4 row-touch-sensitive physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Just keep in mind, what you need the device for. Better reading and ability to work better or convenience. They both have cons and pros.
    01-10-15 11:01 AM
    Three weeks in on Classic as daily driver and I still try to use Passport/ Z30 gestures lol...it's a different animal for sure. Like it though...for what I need at work.

Classically Posted.
    01-10-15 12:21 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Have not tried the classic but i would love to see Classic II be a top tier version this time with best camera possible, high end processor and very premium... loving my Passport but would think there is a market for top end qwerty with the classic I form factor.... this way Classic I is mid tier priced and Classic II top end...

Let's first see how Passport and Classic do in the US with carriers and with carriers in Europe and also India...

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 12:27 PM
    I'm wanting the classic cause i like the small size but i've been using passport since its release and I dont think I can survive without the touch sensitive keyboard...sighh lol life decisions

Three weeks in on Classic as daily driver and I still try to use Passport/ Z30 gestures lol...it's a different animal for sure. Like it though...for what I need at work.

Classically Posted.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-10-15 12:52 PM

Classically Posted.
    Do the gestures still work with the Classics' OS? I read before that they do. If I get a classic I'd probably still use them to, to an extent...but nothing like that good ol' trackpad!

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    01-10-15 01:16 PM
    Do the gestures still work with the Classics' OS? I read before that they do. If I get a classic I'd probably still use them to, to an extent...but nothing like that good ol' trackpad!

Yes...most work the same...it's the keyboard gestures from the PP I continue to fumble over...no big deal really, just sharing my experience. Lol.

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, La Emperor and ZayDub like this.
    01-10-15 02:16 PM
    I'm wanting the classic cause i like the small size but i've been using passport since its release and I dont think I can survive without the touch sensitive keyboard...sighh lol life decisions
    Wise thing to do would be to continue using Q10 until Passport 2 (hopefully with 4 row keyboard) is released or Classic 2 with better spec is released.

Q10 to Classic is not really an upgrade. But I guess I won't be making a wise choice here. I'd probably get Classic (and would have gotten it yesterday, had it been in-stock!) and then few months later I'd end up 'also' getting Classic 2 or Passport 2. I am just foooooooolllissshhh.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 02:39 PM
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/01/bla...rtphone-plans/
    BlackBerry Clarifies Non-Smartphone Plans

BlackBerry Ltd executives shared more about their turnaround roadmap at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week, and apparently Wall Street isn’t very impressed. Shares of BlackBerry slipped as much as 2% during regular trading hours at the NASDAQ on Friday after trading mostly sideways on Wednesday and Thursday.

Meanwhile analysts from RBC Capital and UBS AG weighed in on BlackBerry’s CES announcements.

BlackBerry targets $500 million in software revenue

In a report dated Jan. 8, 2015 RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue and his team note that BlackBerry has a tough road ahead of itself as it seeks to fill the gaping hole left by services revenue. The struggling Canadian smartphone maker also must look beyond devices to fill that hole, which adds to its difficulties.

Services revenue is expected to be almost cut in half next year, and BlackBerry CEO John Chen emphasized that they have four main initiatives planned to replace that revenue. The four areas they’re focusing on are devices (going beyond smartphones), BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Messenger, and their QNX operating system.

The RBC team notes that these four areas are connected to each other rather than being “disjointed.” They note that BlackBerry’s Internet of Things platform is related to its smartphones and that it is seeking to monetize all of its assets. By next year, the company wants to have $500 million in software revenue, an increase from the $274 million in fiscal 2015.

The analysts say BES is probably going to drive most of the 2016 fiscal year software revenue growth. BlackBerry has been successfully pushing its EZ Pass upgrades to BES10, and the company relies heavily on enterprise customers. They add that the main drivers in BES include paid technical support and sales of BES 12 software.

BlackBerry unveils IoT offering

BlackBerry also showed off its Internet of Things platform at CES. The company expects to release it commercially in April. It uses BlackBerry’s already-existing assets like security, scale and global reach. The platform currently focuses on automobiles and asset tracking, but the company intends to push it out to the medical and smart energy industries eventually.

The RBC team points out that monetizing this platform will probably take longer than it will to monetize the company’s other plans. However, they say if the company has some “design wins” in its 2016 fiscal year, investors will be able to gauge its progress in this area.

QNX and BBM expansion

BlackBerry also intends to expand QNX from infotainment systems in vehicles to other automotive systems. QNX currently holds more than half of the automotive infotainment market, and monetization is mostly focused on royalties. The big opportunity here is increasing the content that’s available, and BlackBerry showcased plans to integrate QNX into other parts of vehicles as well.

BlackBerry Messenger is another bright area in the company’s turnaround progress. Management wants to see $100 million in BBM revenue in fiscal 2016. Currently the app has 90 million monthly active users, and currently BlackBerry doesn’t really monetize it right now.

In order to start monetizing BBM, the company plans to charge for additional services like BBM Protected, which offers secure messaging, and BBM Meetings for mobile collaborations. The company will also offer paid subscriptions to consumers covering premium features like ad-free usage.

The RBC team maintained their Sector Perform rating and $11 per share price target on BlackBerry.

BlackBerry should sell its devices division

In a separate report also dated Jan. 8, 2015, UBS analyst Amitabh Passi and associate Tejas Venkatesh also said BlackBerry’s devices segment is the least interesting part of the company’s story. They went a step further though and suggested that the company could eventually sell its devices division and that it probably should.

Indeed, it certainly appears as if the key to a successful turnaround at BlackBerry is a successful transition to software away from a focus on devices. The UBS team also referenced the company’s target of $500 million in software revenues, but to them, the strategy of achieving that target was less clear than it was for the RBC team.

The UBS team also provided a peek at BlackBerry’s fourth fiscal quarter earnings and say it was probably an “awkward” quarter because of the timing of the Classic launch, which was on Dec. 17. They maintained their Neutral rating and $10 per share price target on BlackBerry.
    01-10-15 02:43 PM
    I hope at&t has in store demo models. I might upgrade prior to the next all touch.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 02:44 PM
    Rob Enderle, positive as he mostly always is on BBRY... One of the few...
    Why PCs, Intel, Qualcomm, NVIDIA, QNX, Dell, Panasonic, and Jaguar Won CES | TG Daily

BlackBerry QNX

Just as NVIDIA had the hardware BlackBerry’s QNX division had the software and they announced they were already on a whopping 50M vehicles at the show. But they weren’t just connected to self-driving cars this platform was all over Internet of Things solutions and while the show seemed divided between vendors who were active in one area or the other QNX appeared to be the only vendor equally powerful in both efforts.
    01-10-15 02:47 PM
    Wise thing to do would be to continue using Q10 until Passport 2 (hopefully with 4 row keyboard) is released or Classic 2 with better spec is released.

Q10 to Classic is not really an upgrade. But I guess I won't be making a wise choice here. I'd probably get Classic (and would have gotten it yesterday, had it been in-stock!) and then few months later I'd end up 'also' getting Classic 2 or Passport 2. I am just foooooooolllissshhh.

Posted via CB10
    If an upgrade to update would be coming to passport 2, I would love for it to have an All Touch Passport version.

People would go nuts (in a good way). They love "big shiny screens", and a 4:3 ratio or 3:2 ratio would be king. imo

Doctors, professionals in med field, average joe consumers, architects, holster types in big industry, etc...I think would dig the big screen as it would benefit their type of work.

That way, for sure, a tablet would not be required.

The beauty of the Passport, aside from the OS, is that it is not a super big phone, extremely pocket friendly, extremely professional looking, compared to others on the market. I think it is the perfect size for big type phones.

For finance peeps or those that sport suits and fine dress clothes "might" prefer the Classic due to the pocketability factor.
    (honestly, the Classic is geared to the 9900 faithful, hence the slight upgrade and to assist with the transition to the new OS and having familiar hardware)

Again, people like seeing their work, or seeing things on a big screen, yet compact enough to carry. The Passport, with 3 rows, is ideal. An All Touch PP would cater to those who crave a big, professional, all touch phone.
    01-10-15 03:14 PM
    Like that idea. Same profile as Passport but all touch. Would be a 4:3 screen which is a popular document proportion

Posted with my flash Passport
    bungaboy and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    01-10-15 03:31 PM
    Yes...most work the same...it's the keyboard gestures from the PP I continue to fumble over...no big deal really, just sharing my experience. Lol.

Classically Posted.
    Oh I think I understand now. You were referring to the flick up for the word selection on the keyboard? I thought you were talking about the navigation gestures within the OS. Or are there other keyboard gestures on the PP, just curious. I know you can scroll and flick words, but that's all I thought...

01-10-15 03:33 PM
    Oh I think I understand now. You were referring to the flick up for the word selection on the keyboard? I thought you were talking about the navigation gestures within the OS. Or are there other keyboard gestures on the PP, just curious. I know you can scroll and flick words, but that's all I thought...

You are also supposed to be able to use the Keypad as a Track pad to navigate inside a text field in order to edit.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen and ZayDub like this.
    01-10-15 03:44 PM
    Correct on both counts...Classic you long press for capitals, PP has the Alt function...takes a bit of adjustment...no big deal.

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    01-10-15 03:57 PM
    Correct on both counts...Classic you long press for capitals, PP has the Alt function...takes a bit of adjustment...no big deal.

Classically Posted.
    Other way around mate....

PP long press for caps (no ALT key)

Classic has the "ALT" key
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-10-15 04:02 PM
    Just like apple raising their app prices in Canada. The demand is there so charge what the market will support. Nobody want to leave money on the table.

Also, bell (all carriers) doesn't care about what phone they sell you. They care about how much data you'll consume and what stock is not moving in the supply chain. Sammy is know to pump new phone out faster then everybody else. Bell doesn't want old stock lying around so they jack the price on phones that are moving and in limited supply and lower the price on stock that is clogging the channel.
    We all cheered when BlackBerry had their fire sale of old stock and moved, what was it, ~90% of the Zs and Qs out of the warehouse.

BB10 4 ME
    I think Apple raised the app prices for Canucks mainly due to the CDN dollar.

Regarding to carriers not caring which phone they sell is generally correct, but as a friend who works at Telus solutions told me, they would rather sell a phone who's supplier offers incentives, kick-backs, and key-point indicators. This is apparently what Samsung offers, which is why sales people push it so hard. Apple is sold because it is an easy sell due to popularity and the elementary UI. Blackberry, on the other hand, does not seem to offer these incentives, but that may have changed under Chen.

Oh, he also mentioned that Apple was a bully, and they dictate everything (no choice due to market share), much like Walmart tells vendors what they are going to charge them.

Hope that helps.
    Good day gang.
    bungaboy, rarsen and Corbu like this.
    01-10-15 04:02 PM
    How much do these comments from analysts actually affect decision making within a company such as BlackBerry? If not at all, why do they make them? They've been calling for the sale of the handset division for some time now. It doesn't seem as though BlackBerry are listening, which is good.

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    01-10-15 04:10 PM

Classically Posted.
    Hmm...so you can't use the alt for capital letters on classic? I use the alt on my Q10 all the time (you just taught me that I could long press though -- thanks lol)

01-10-15 04:14 PM
    How much do these comments from analysts actually affect decision making within a company such as BlackBerry? If not at all, why do they make them? They've been calling for the sale of the handset division for some time now. It doesn't seem as though BlackBerry are listening, which is good.

Posted via CB10
    If blackberry sells their handset division I'll be going back to android honestly. I like the security blackberry offers me but selling it to who knows who might as well just have top speced phones. I'll just go buy a Ford Mustang with sync 3

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    01-10-15 04:15 PM
    I think this is better reading material, just to keep it on the up side !

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2811...53631&uprof=75

Z10
    CDM76, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    01-10-15 05:12 PM
    Other way around mate....

PP long press for caps (no ALT key)

Classic has the "ALT" key
    Told ya I was confused lol

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, awindsr and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    01-10-15 05:14 PM
    This is totally anecdotal, and doesn't really count for anything but I've notice a change over the past few months.

I, like a lot of us on the thread, am a big BlackBerry fan. I have watched lots of people jump ship for an apple or an android and then endured the inevitable "look what this phone can do" as they explored their new ecosystems. We all remember the "Blackberry as black sheep" article that ran in the NYT back in late 2012. And I've had people "chirp" me for my continued use of a blackberry.

But a funny thing is happening and I was wondering if any one else is seeing it? Over the last few months anytime I've been out and about and the phones come out, any adult male who has an apple has been... almost apologetic (if it wasn't the latest model). It's like they are collectively realizing that the "emperor has no clothes". I try to not be "that guy" but sometimes I remind the odd one about dissing my lowly Z10.

Maybe I'm just imagining it.

go no go.
    01-10-15 05:22 PM
    Don't believe this has been posted yet. Another Classic review, for those who are interested:

01-10-15 06:22 PM
    Told ya I was confused lol

Classically Posted.
    Actually, long press the Classic and the PP...Alt is used for numbers and most common symbols (on the Classic) where the PP used software on the screen...yes, I had to fire up the PP to remember.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, CDM76, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    01-10-15 06:25 PM
113,250 ... 31133114311531163117 ...