View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Here is some additional information regarding timing of software revenue ramp - from Forbes:

This quarterly report indicates that the interest in BlackBerry�s enterprise mobility management software is quite strong, with the company reporting that it had issued a total of 6.8 million licenses, marking 100% growth over last quarter. Additionally, over 30% of the licenses were traded in from competing MDM platforms. However, the program�s real test will begin in Q4, as the company intends to end new EZ Pass enrollments this month, while existing EZ Pass licensees will have to begin paying for technical support beginning February 1, 2015.

=====
    I believe the program works as follows (I am sure there are BES gurus that can give us some more color and I hope they chime in):

Legacy perpetual licenses upgrading to BES12 get silver CALs and a free pass until Feb. 1. After this time they pay for tech support - as and when required - otherwise no recurring rev. This will be the bulk of the 6.8M.

Chen and team will be attempting to upsell this large base from silver to gold, as well as other software offerings.

All Android, iOS and Windows device management are considered new sign ups so will be recurring rev.

New signups as of Jan. 1 will begin paying immediately and will be recurring rev. Silver and gold.

This is why I do not expect to see meaningful revenue increase in the software category next quarter. FYI Chen needs to take software from $54M in Q3 2014 to $125M in Q4 2015 in order to achieve his stated targets. So he anticipates a big ramp when it starts coming on line.
    sati01 and anon(4086547) like this.
    01-09-15 02:59 PM
    01-09-15 03:32 PM
    Here is some additional information regarding timing of software revenue ramp - from Forbes:

This quarterly report indicates that the interest in BlackBerry’s enterprise mobility management software is quite strong, with the company reporting that it had issued a total of 6.8 million licenses, marking 100% growth over last quarter. Additionally, over 30% of the licenses were traded in from competing MDM platforms. However, the program’s real test will begin in Q4, as the company intends to end new EZ Pass enrollments this month, while existing EZ Pass licensees will have to begin paying for technical support beginning February 1, 2015.

=====
    I believe the program works as follows (I am sure there are BES gurus that can give us some more color and I hope they chime in):

Legacy perpetual licenses upgrading to BES12 get silver CALs and a free pass until Feb. 1. After this time they pay for tech support - as and when required - otherwise no recurring rev. This will be the bulk of the 6.8M.

Chen and team will be attempting to upsell this large base from silver to gold, as well as other software offerings.

All Android, iOS and Windows device management are considered new sign ups so will be recurring rev.

New signups as of Jan. 1 will begin paying immediately and will be recurring rev. Silver and gold.

This is why I do not expect to see meaningful revenue increase in the software category next quarter. FYI Chen needs to take software from $54M in Q3 2014 to $125M in Q4 2015 in order to achieve his stated targets. So he anticipates a big ramp when it starts coming on line.
    Don't give me yesterday news! Give me today's news, but don't repeat it tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bbjdog; 01-09-15 at 05:00 PM.
    01-09-15 03:34 PM
    Don't give me yesterday news! Give me today news, but don't repeat it tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    What I really like about this thread, it that we occasionally get tomorrow's news today and sometimes we even get it yesterday!
    01-09-15 03:37 PM
    A wise guy said, I believe no far from the times when U.S constitution was set ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-10931276_776298942464787_1710935885896284627_n.jpg

And modern rules added : but please, say it friendly.
    Posted via CB10

edit: FTR, he died 10 years before 1787
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-09-15 at 04:10 PM.
    jxnb, morganplus8, sidhuk and 14 others like this.
    01-09-15 03:49 PM
    What I really like about this thread, it that we occasionally get tomorrow's news today and sometimes we even get it yesterday!
    When we get that future news, then it's all good. Some contributors here do give us tomorrow news, and I appreciate what they give this thread. They know who they are and a big thanks from me.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    01-09-15 04:04 PM
    Was in Scarborough area. So, went to Scarborough Town Center - Wind store. They only had 3 BlackBerry Classic and all sold out today before noon. Not sure when next batch would come.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 04:05 PM
    01-09-15 04:11 PM
    Way off topic, but a good reading material. SORRY its long!

What to Watch in the Week Ahead and on Monday, Jan. 12 (Thomson Reuters)
    (The Day Ahead is an email and PDF publication that includes the day's major stories and events, analyses and other features. To receive The Day Ahead, Eikon users can register at . Thomson One users can register at RT/DAY/US. All times in ET/GMT) The equity market seems to be a bit a-twixt and a-twitter, alternating big upward moves with sweeping moves lower. With the first earnings getting out of the gate and earnings warnings likely to garner attention, individual stocks could be more actively volatile as investors react to company-specific news. The bond market could resume its yield-flattening, where short-dated yields underperform the long end. However, if the Fed is seen as moving more slowly, a steepening trend could take over. The dollar is likely to keep strengthening. JPMorgan Chase & Co reports quarterly results on Wednesday. The company could give a new indication of how much more it may have to pay to resolve government probes of its conduct. The bank, the biggest in the U.S. by assets, tried to put the bulk of those liabilities behind it in 2013 when it agreed to pay more than $20 billion in settlements. But additional allegations of misconduct in foreign exchange trading and other operations have pointed toward additional liabilities in the past year and left open the question of how much more it will cost the bank to clean up its affairs. Separately, the coming week will also see other major banks reporting their earnings. Goldman Sachs announces results for the fourth quarter on Friday, and on Wednesday, Bank Of America Corp and Wells Fargo & Co report their fourth-quarter results. Retail sales and consumer sentiment data next week will be watched for confirmation that consumer spending remains upbeat despite a surprise drop in earnings in December. The Commerce Department is expected to report on Wednesday that retail sales were flat in December as lower gasoline prices weighed on receipts at service stations. Core retail sales, which exclude gasoline and three other categories, are forecast rising 0.4 percent after increasing 0.6 percent in November. A Labor Department report on Thursday is expected to show that lower gasoline prices helped to push producer price index down 0.4 percent in December after it fell 0.2 percent in November. On Friday, the Labor Department is expected to report that the consumer price index fell 0.4 percent in December after dropping 0.3 percent in November. The core CPI is forecast edging up 0.1 percent after a similar gain in November. Also on Friday, the Federal Reserve is expected to report that industrial production was flat in December after jumping 1.3 percent in November. Manufacturing output is forecast rising 0.2 percent after advancing 1.1 percent in November. The University of Michigan's consumer sentiment index is forecast rising to 94.1 in early January from 93.6 in December. Citigroup reports fourth-quarter results on Thursday. In what some analysts have called a "kitchen sink quarter," the bank plans to report a tiny profit as it loads up on expenses to throw out costly business processes and settle legal claims. CEO Mike Corbat warned in December that the company would take $3.5 billion in charges in the quarter and barely breakeven. Analysts are expected to press him on whether he will win approval in March from the Federal Reserve to spend more on dividends and stock buybacks and then meet 2015 targets for profits and efficiency. Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia President Charles Plosser speaks on the economic outlook before the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce Economic Outlook event on Wednesday. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Narayana Kocherlakota speaks on "Goal-Based Monetary Policy Report" before the Financial Planners Association of Minnesota on Friday. Separately, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President James Bullard speaks on the U.S. economy and monetary policy before the CFA Society of Chicago on Friday. Schlumberger, world's No.1 oilfield services provider, reports fourth-quarter results on Thursday. The company may report a higher quarterly profit, helped by growth in its Middle East and Asia Pacific operations. A majority of analysts covering the stock have cut their earnings estimate by an average of 6 percent over the past month. Schlumberger, which provides drilling technology and equipment, said in early December that it would take a $1 billion charge in the quarter related to job cuts and the writedown of some seismic vessels as it responds to a slump in oil prices since June. Investors will look for comments on the company's outlook for 2015 following oil and gas producers' moves to scale back capital budgets and to deploy fewer rigs. The company is also under pressure from the planned merger of two of its closest rivals - Halliburton and Baker Hughes. Intel Corp. reports fourth-quarter results on Thursday, as investors look for new signs of meaningful demand for personal computers to justify the chipmaker's strong stock gains over the past year. Under CEO Brian Krzanich, Intel made meaningful inroads with its tablet chips in 2014 but at a heavy cost to profitability that many on Wall Street are not keen to see continue. When giant asset manager BlackRock Inc reports its 2014 earnings on Thursday, it is likely going to show the historically institutionally focused shop has made big inroads with retail investors despite continued struggles with its active equity funds. Federal Reserve Banks of New York, Atlanta, Cleveland and Philadelphia will release findings from a joint regional survey on small business credit conditions on Thursday. On the same day, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia issues Business Outlook Survey for January. American Bankers Association's Economic Advisory Committee, a group of chief economists from the nation's largest banks, holds a press conference on Friday to discuss monetary policy predictions and its consensus economic forecast for 2015. IHS Inc, which publishes the Jane's Defence Weekly, reports fourth-quarter results on Tuesday. The business research firm's revenue is expected to be above estimates, according to Thomson Reuters StarMine data, fueled by growth in its subscription business. IHS, which raised its full-year revenue forecast last quarter, has seen revenue from its Americas and EMEA division rise steadily. Friday marks the trading debut of Sutherland Asset Management Corp, a REIT managed by Waterfall Asset Management, and insurance outsourcing company Patriot National Inc on the NYSE. On Tuesday, The World Bank publishes its twice-yearly Global Economic Prospects that looks at key economic trends and how they affect developing countries. The bank is likely to find that the recovery from the global financial crisis remains sluggish, and urge emerging markets to use low oil prices as a chance to build up fiscal buffers. AltaCorp, a Calgary investment bank, holds its annual three-day conference in Toronto beginning Tuesday with a broad range of companies expected to attend. Presenters include a number of oil-service companies whose clients have been slashing capital spending in the wake of falling oil prices, as well as regional pipeline operators, airlines and engineering firms. Brazil November retail sales data expected on Wednesday. Retail sales disappointed last year, as the economy slipped into recession and consumer confidence weakened to the lowest in more than five years. Separately, data on country's capital flows and foreign reserves is expected on the same day. On Wednesday, Mexico's National Statistics Institute will release gross fixed investment data for October. The monthly indicator contracted in September after 7 months of expansion. On Friday, data will show whether unemployment increased in December, after remaining stable at 4.71 percent in November. Peru releases on Thursday data on economic activity for November. The country's finance minister has said November's growth rate could be slower than the 2.37 percent year-on-year expansion posted in October. Separately, Peru's central bank decides on Friday whether to hold the benchmark interest rate at 3.50 percent for the fourth straight month, amid sluggish economic growth. MONDAY, Jan. 12
    Aluminum giant Alcoa Inc will report fourth-quarter results and the market will be watching for signs that the company's business providing specialized products for the aerospace and automotive industries continues to grow. Analysts will also be looking to see what effect falling oil prices have had on Alcoa's business. Lower energy prices mean lower costs for Alcoa, but could mean lower demand for its products in the automotive industry. Analysts expect the New York-based company to report earnings per share of 27 cents. Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Dennis Lockhart speaks on monetary policy before the Rotary Club of Atlanta (1240/1740). The annual Detroit auto show and related conferences at which top executives speak will be held in the Motor City. Among the vehicles being shown include new pickup trucks by Japan's Toyota and Nissan, a new version of GM's Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric car and more. Among the executives present at the show are GM CEO Mary Barra, Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, Ford CEO Mark Fields, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn, Tesla CEO Elon Musk among more. Bank of Canada issues Business Outlook Survey and Senior Loan Officer Survey. The Business Outlook Survey summarizes interviews with management of 100 firms and gives a sense of the outlook for sales, investment and employment. Brazil's central bank releases Focus market survey results for prior week. The bank releases results of a weekly economic survey with more than 100 financial institutions. This will include forecasts for GDP, interest rates and inflation rates. (Compiled By Astha Rawat in Bengaluru)
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-09-15 04:52 PM
    FWIW: Nothing to be excited about, but still an uptick on Global stats from BBRY compared to its previous months. Supports the theory of bottoming in HW sales.

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Usage Share
    01-09-15 05:04 PM
    Random thoughts for a Friday

The Secret to Investing Success: A Good Case of Amnesia.......

Fidelity did a study about which of their accounts did the best, and they were the ones who had forgotten they even had a account.
    Buffet once said "inactivity strikes us as intelligent behavior"

The point of this is not to say one should not keep up on their investments and not take advantage of fear and greed in the markets (do the opposite). It is just if you buy something at a attractive price, sit back and wait, and wait.................

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 05:15 PM
    Respectfully disagree with you.
    Would you care to explain plz?

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    Yes, it's disagreeing by bullying those you disagree with. Nothing wrong with respectful debate. Y'all need to keep it on that level. Unfortunately, it then degenerated to mocking and repugnant comments.

[WARN]I'd like to remind you all. The forum require posts be family friendly. Please, keep within the rules you accepted when joining. [/WARN]
    01-09-15 05:23 PM
    How are people suppose to test out BlackBerry devices in-store if these stores tie them (wrap them midway through touchscreens)!
    This is Rogers store at Scarborough Town Center.
    They make it unusable.
    Not just BlackBerry but Android devices too.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150109_170606.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and thebroph like this.
    01-09-15 05:25 PM
    Yes, it's disagreeing by bullying those you disagree with. Nothing wrong with respectful debate. Y'all need to keep it on that level. Unfortunately, it then degenerated to mocking and repugnant comments.

[WARN]I'd like to remind you all. The forum require posts be family friendly. Please, keep within the rules you accepted when joining. [/WARN]
    So keep it civilized. Understood Sir. Will follow.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-09-15 at 05:40 PM. Reason: really?
    01-09-15 05:33 PM
    You guys are making my poor head spin
    tomorrow, yesterday and even after yesterday. Glad it almost the weekend I going to solve my yesterday's beer thirty!!
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, lcjr and 5 others like this.
    01-09-15 05:35 PM
    Great conversation all week gang! Thanks to you all and let's continue to keep it civil and respectful in here. Cheers!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150109_184556.jpg

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    theRock1975, rarsen, lcjr and 9 others like this.
    01-09-15 05:52 PM
    How are people suppose to test out BlackBerry devices in-store if these stores tie them (wrap them midway through touchscreens)!
    This is Rogers store at Scarborough Town Center.
    They make it unusable.
    Not just BlackBerry but Android devices too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150109_170606.jpg 
Views:	1638 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	326319

Posted via CB10
    It all depends on where you go, the one in Yorkdale you could take it up and get a real feel

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-09-15 06:01 PM
    Random thoughts for a Friday

The Secret to Investing Success: A Good Case of Amnesia.......

Fidelity did a study about which of their accounts did the best, and they were the ones who had forgotten they even had a account.
    Buffet once said "inactivity strikes us as intelligent behavior"

The point of this is not to say one should not keep up on their investments and not take advantage of fear and greed in the markets (do the opposite). It is just if you buy something at a attractive price, sit back and wait, and wait.................

Posted via CB10
    Really like your avitar!

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and kadakn01 like this.
    01-09-15 06:07 PM
    when everybody else was doing quotes I wanted to rush in and say "angels fear to tread here".

(see what I did there?)

LOL
    01-09-15 06:13 PM

This quarterly report indicates that the interest in BlackBerry�s enterprise mobility management software is quite strong, with the company reporting that it had issued a total of 6.8 million licenses, marking 100% growth over last quarter. Additionally, over 30% of the licenses were traded in from competing MDM platforms. However, the program�s real test will begin in Q4, as the company intends to end new EZ Pass enrollments this month, while existing EZ Pass licensees will have to begin paying for technical support beginning February 1, 2015.

=====

Good info.

I'm also not entirely clear on the pricing for existing perpetuals. Straight to silver subscription? Or free upgrade but paying for tech support?

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and Munx like this.
    01-09-15 06:25 PM
    Just found it'll be the most appropriate tune I've ever posted here...
    You'll probably understand within 5 seconds

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 06:26 PM
    Just found it'll be the most appropriate tune I've ever posted here...
    You'll probably understand within 5 seconds

Posted via CB10
    Nice...

Classically Posted.
    01-09-15 06:51 PM
    Good info.

I'm also not entirely clear on the pricing for existing perpetuals. Straight to silver subscription? Or free upgrade but paying for tech support?

Posted via CB10
    Free upgrade to BES 12 Silver. At this point, you can either subscribe tech support or pay for support per incident. Either way, your silver license is perpetual.

Existing BES users are already paying a recurring fee for BES5. When they upgrade to BES12- they continue to pay this fee. This is not a new fee or incremental revenue for BlackBerry.

Android and iPhone on competitor MDM (good, mobileiron etc) moving to BES12 - also get free license and only pay for tech support. So, this is also unlikely to add much to BlackBerry's bottomline.

So, where are we going to get additional revenue?

- Once a company installs BES12 as their MDM, any new devices they choose to manage would provide additional revenue (as the offer to exchange any competitor license for a perpetual silver license is already over).

- upselling of other services like BBM Protected, BBM Meetings, Technical Support, Upgrade to Gold license

So, it'd be a while (couple of quarters) before we start seeing BES revenue growth. For now, this simply prevents further decline of 'BES' revenue. BIS revenue will continue to decline as people move from legacy devices to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 07:15 PM
    Free upgrade to BES 12 Silver. At this point, you can either subscribe tech support or pay for support per incident. Either way, your silver license is perpetual.

Existing BES users are already paying a recurring fee for BES5. When they upgrade to BES12- they continue to pay this fee. This is not a new fee or incremental revenue for BlackBerry.

Android and iPhone on competitor MDM (good, mobileiron etc) moving to BES12 - also get free license and only pay for tech support. So, this is also unlikely to add much to BlackBerry's bottomline.

So, where are we going to get additional revenue?

- Once a company installs BES12 as their MDM, any new devices they choose to manage would provide additional revenue (as the offer to exchange any competitor license for a perpetual silver license is already over).

- upselling of other services like BBM Protected, BBM Meetings, Technical Support, Upgrade to Gold license

So, it'd be a while (couple of quarters) before we start seeing BES revenue growth. For now, this simply prevents further decline of 'BES' revenue. BIS revenue will continue to decline as people move from legacy devices to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Much appreciated although based on the reception my original post received this is well known, old news to many here.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-09-15 07:44 PM
    Nothing bad has been said... so everybody's welcome here !

Z10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-09-15 08:00 PM
113,256 ... 31113112311331143115 ...