View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BlackBerry Wants to Help Cure Cancer | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-453660-hbox-inline.jpg

LAS VEGAS— BlackBerry will interrogate your blood.

At BlackBerry's press conference here at CES, NantHealth CEO Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong showed off the HBox, a little gadget that acts as a secure health hub. But that's a boring way to describe it. Let me just give you a few quotes.

"You can have a genomic signal that can interrogate your blood, your cancer, your cardiac disease through a supercomputer, and then inform your doctor ... imagine us having an ability like Google Maps, but to browse every single human patient's genome, find the abnormal letter in real-time, and tell the doctor what treatment is to be given," he said.

He explained a little further: if you have a disease, you'd go to the doctor to get your blood drawn and your genome sequenced. Then NantHealth's computers would analyze your genes and tell a doctor, through his or her BlackBerry, what to do. The HBox is a BlackBerry-dependent platform because BlackBerry offers healthcare law-compliant data security, among other things.

With ongoing treatments, a patient could have an Android Wear smartwatch that would communicate securely through a doctor via the BBM messaging system. The watch would get and send BBMs alerting a patient to take medicine or checking up on treatments, for instance.

This is intense, amazing, and slightly scary stuff. Think about it: there's a database consisting of all of our genes now. Soon-Shiong also said that with an HBox in the home, your "quantified self" health-tracking information could be transmitted to your doctor, tracking your fitness, diet, and medication.

"We're about to launch 100,000 patients with pre-hypertension or hypertension ... we'll actually capture their weight, blood pressure, heart-rate and medication in real time, through the health box," he said.

Can Our Society Be Trusted?

This is all a great idea in a society that can be trusted. BlackBerry is selling this solution in part based on BlackBerry's renowned security, which is, so far, secure.

The potential problem with the HBox isn't hackers, but employers and health insurance companies. Those are the people who can't be trusted. Health insurance startup Oscar is already paying consumers bonuses for meeting fitness goals and transmitting them back to their insurers using a Misfit Flash wearable.

Science-fiction medical technology like this can far too easily lead to science-fiction levels of surveillance by the corporations who own us. I can see insurance companies—or even employers—requiring the use of an HBox and penalizing patients who don't meet fitness and nutrition goals, for instance.

BlackBerry and NantHealth can't address this problem, which is a larger issue with a society that does an extremely poor job of protecting individuals from the corporations they serve. But the HBox has amazing potential. We can only hope it will be used for good.

IBM is doing something similar, meanwhile. In November, its Watson Group announced an undisclosed investment in Pathway Genomics to create the first cognitive consumer app based on a user's genetic makeup.
    01-07-15 01:58 PM
    I wonder, is this the beginning of seeing BBM work the same way in cars or 3rd party car applications? where the manufacturer can state, "BBM supported" alongside there other features? and other types of IoT connected devices? TVs ?

Are other Messaging services offering/capable of this ?
    Facebook messenger, what's app and Hangouts are from my personal experience.

Here is a page of all apps that work with android wear:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...wear_all?hl=en
    rarsen and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    01-07-15 02:25 PM
    OT:
    Another guy here that bought into HALO from reading this thread,although I did not get into HALO when first mentioned in this thread.I waited awhile now up 50% on my investment in HALO.
    Thanks to morganplus8 and I can not wait to see any more thoughts you have for HALO after today's conference.
    01-07-15 02:47 PM
    I know we were all looking for a big pop in BBRY this week and we've yet to see it. There is a lot of great news soon to come out about bbrys offerings and with carrier support developing quicker than I honestly thought it would here in the states that will be our next bench mark to a big upward pulse. I know we have all been patient but let's remember these investors. Are still wary of the volatility here. Keep the faith and for those of us fortunate few enjoy the HALO pop! Not to be a parrot but thanks to all who contributed to the halo info

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    01-07-15 03:08 PM
    I know we were all looking for a big pop in BBRY this week and we've yet to see it. There is a lot of great news soon to come out about bbrys offerings and with carrier support developing quicker than I honestly thought it would here in the states that will be our next bench mark to a big upward pulse. I know we have all been patient but let's remember these investors. Are still wary of the volatility here. Keep the faith and for those of us fortunate few enjoy the HALO pop! Not to be a parrot but thanks to all who contributed to the halo info

Ironically this stock has not been overly volatile, at least not as much as one might expect. After today's news I expected a bit more movement ~shrug~

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    bungaboy, CDM76, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    01-07-15 03:10 PM
    With regards IOT:

BlackBerry said it is combining technology from its QNX platform, which powers systems in cars and industrial applications, with its secure network, for which the company and its messaging service have long been known.

"We own every component of the entire chain," Chennakeshu said.
    BlackBerry making its case for Internet of Things - CNET
    01-07-15 03:19 PM
    ^^^^^

Editing required. LoL
    01-07-15 03:37 PM
    Soumaila Somtore...

You have set a record for the most space consumed for a single post in this entire thread...lol.
    01-07-15 03:37 PM
    OT

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20150107-220344.png

And thanks for all the support, here and there.
    Cheers,
    SF

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 03:42 PM
    Hands On With AT&T's Pointlessly Different BlackBerry Passport | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-453658-hands-t-s-pointlessly-different-blackberry-passport.jpg

LAS VEGAS�AT&T today announced it's selling both the BlackBerry Classic$449.99 at Amazon and the BlackBerry Passport, making it the only U.S. carrier to officially sell BlackBerry's two new phones.

The Passport will cost $649.99 or $199.99 with contract. The Classic will cost $419.99 or $49.99 with contract.

CES bug art (update)The funny thing about AT&T's new devices is that the Passport is just a little bit different than the unlocked model. It has rounded corners. It's the same size, the same shape, the same specs. It just has rounded corners, which do not in any way change its functionality.

I asked BlackBerry CEO John Chen about this. "AT&T preferred the edges to be round," he said. "Some of us are more square. That's it. They would like their ID [industrial design] to be slightly different so it would stand out as an AT&T product," he said.

This isn't a harmless folly. It means that BlackBerry has to make a separate set of devices for AT&T, and if it can't sell those, it can't redistribute those Passport models to other carriers or to its own online sales channels. Hopefully, AT&T has given it some order guarantees.

After some hands-on time, both phones appear to be the same size, the same weight, and perform the same. I actually prefer the square-cornered model, and I like my phones to be unlocked if possible. That means you'd easily be able to move your BlackBerry from AT&T to T-Mobile or to a foreign carrier.

But if you're looking to save money with AT&T, you might as well cut a few corners. The Classic and Passport will be available "in the near future," according to AT&T.

Earlier today, meanwhile, AT&T announced rollover data for its Mobile Share customers, but there's a catch.

For more, check out BlackBerry Wants to Help Cure Cancer.
    01-07-15 03:45 PM
    BlackBerry leans on security prowess in launching Internet of Things platform - FierceWireless

LAS VEGAS--BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) is betting that its security heritage and technology portfolio will make its new platform for the Internet of Things (IoT) a powerhouse in a burgeoning market as technology players from Samsung Electronics to Intel look to take advantage of the IoT trend.

After hinting at the platform for months, BlackBerry CEO John Chen and top lieutenant Sandeep Chennakeshu formally unveiled the BlackBerry IoT Platform here at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show. The company is initially targeting the automotive and asset tracking vertical markets, but plans to expand beyond those eventually to areas like medical devices.

"This is the power of BlackBerry," Chen said, adding that one of the good things he inherited when became CEO in November 2013 was BlackBerry's rich technology heritage. For BlackBerry, the move into the IoT market comes as its smartphone business has declined to paltry sales figures, and it represents a potential new avenue for revenue growth.

The platform combines technology from BlackBerry's QNX Software Systems subsidiary, a leader in the embedded systems and connected car markets, along with BlackBerry's secure network infrastructure and device lifecycle management software. The company claims that its platform is based on an efficient, scalable messaging system that other services can be built on top of. Those include security, instantaneous data indexing and storage, analytics for data visualization as well as granular permissions for accessing every bit of data that goes through the platform.

Chennakeshu, president of the company's BlackBerry Technology Solutions unit, explained that BlackBerry thinks the platform needs to do a number of different tasks. At its base is BlackBerry's secure network. As an example of its capabilities, he said the platform can parse data coming from a connected car so that some data goes only to a dealer and some other data goes to a service center. Additionally, the platform can send data to other analytics platforms and can store it in various secured ways.

Then on top of that is the platform's business logic, which enables applications like data collection. Additionally, BlackBerry emphasized the idea of bicycle management, so that the platform can track when a connected device crashes and send a message to the developer in real time. The company is also going to lean on its enterprise device management heritage and use its BlackBerry Enterprise Servers to manage connected devices. Further, the platform will enable users to have a single secure identity that lets them access multiple applications. All of it will come with software or customers, as well as analytics and dashboards to get a quick view of their connected devices.

"We can solve very complex uses cases, especially those which are high value and highly mobile," Chennakeshu said.

It's easy to see why so many companies want a piece of the Internet of Things market. The worldwide IoT market is forecast to grow from $1.3 trillion in 2013 to $3.04 trillion in 2020 with a compound annual growth rate of 13 percent, according to research firm IDC.

In December, Intel unveiled its Intel IoT Platform, designed to serve as an end-to-end reference model to unify and simplify connectivity and security for the IoT. Here at CES, Samsung co-CEO Boo-Keun Yoon said 90 percent of Samsung products will be IoT devices, and the company will hit 100 percent within five years. Samsung owns SmartThings, an open IoT platform.

Chennakeshu said "every IoT platform that I have seen looks identical. The problem is the devil's in the details." He said BlackBerry's platform is based on proven, secure technology and is scalable.

"Every node in the system is scalable across the world," he said. "Our entire system is based on a very, very efficient messaging system which is event-driven." Every device can either get or receive messages and send out notifications.

Chen acknowledged that BlackBerry will not be able to connect or manage every connected device and is happy to work with partners with other IoT platforms. "We do not look at it as a closed system in our mind," he said. "We will have to sit down with partners. This is an open invitation to others that as long as they don't sabotage our security, we would love to host or connect to the bigger picture."

Chennakeshu said the platform can be more "holistic" and using proxy servers can connect to other companies' analytics platforms, for instance. He also said the entire platform can be licensed by someone else looking to provide more horizontal services as opposed to focusing on vertical markets.

In other BlackBerry news, the company said its BlackBerry Messenger service will be available on wearable technologies for a wide range of Android Wear smart watches. The service will be available sometime in the early part of this year and will let users receive alerts on their watch when new BBM messages come in, see the sender and discreetly preview messages. Users will also be able to read BBM messages in their entirety, navigate among messages and dismiss notifications with a simple swipe, as well as respond to messages hands-free with Google Now or choose from pre-set messages to quickly send a response.
    01-07-15 03:47 PM
    A breath of fresh air from the doom and gloom publication.
    BlackBerry will provide hardware and software support for cloud-based communications boxes built into shipping containers.

Each device will include a cellular radio, Wi-Fi connectivity, a microprocessor and sensors that monitor what's in the container, its location and other details to help fleet managers stay on top of their products and anticipate potential problems.

"There's lots of useful information you can collect to get more efficient," said Sandeep Chennakeshu, president of the BlackBerry's Technology Solutions unit in a telephone phone interview from CES.

"(The communication box is) very similar to a cell phone, except it doesn't have a display or a keypad. That's right up our alley."
    An early test was completed in October and plans are underway to make the devices available in “limited specific-use cases” in April, Mr. Chennakeshu said.
    BlackBerry chases shipping industry with cloud management platform - The Globe and Mail
    01-07-15 03:48 PM
    I like the enhanced bottom... hope I'll get the casing in replacement parts...

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-07-15 03:48 PM
    OT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20150107-220344.png 
Views:	1131 
Size:	515.8 KB 
ID:	325927

And thanks for all the support, here and there.
    Cheers,
    SF

Posted via CB10
    Our thoughts and prayers are with your country! Stay strong and free!
    sidhuk, Corbu, plasmid_boy and 8 others like this.
    01-07-15 03:49 PM
    Is this guy still around? Bring back the lawyers...
    CES 2015: Mobile keyboard designed for the BlackBerry lover - BNN News
    01-07-15 03:51 PM
    I like the enhanced bottom...
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-07-15 03:53 PM
    OT:
    For SF and everyone else.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-je-suis-charlie.jpg
    01-07-15 03:55 PM
    Sorry!
    ^^^^^

Editing required. LoL
    01-07-15 03:58 PM
    Is this guy still around? Bring back the lawyers...
    CES 2015: Mobile keyboard designed for the BlackBerry lover - BNN News
    The Wannabe is still hanging around. Ugly looking thing!
    01-07-15 04:00 PM
    Really!!??Lol
    got it out!!

Soumaila Somtore...

You have set a record for the most space consumed for a single post in this entire thread...lol.
    01-07-15 04:04 PM
    OT: Halo

M+8 you amaze me! I have to fire my adviser and hire you. Wait, I am my own financial adviser! Well, guess I have to make a hard decisions..... I fire myself!

Halozyme Therapeutics Shoots Higher After Previewing Analyst Meeting
    1 hour ago
    03:54 PM EST, 01/07/2015 (MT Newswires) -- Halozyme Therapeutics (HALO) is up sharply late Wednesday after it included revenue and other operating and drug trial guidance in its preview for an upcoming analyst and investor meeting.

For the full year 2015, the company expects net revenue to be in a range of $85 million to $95 million. The Capital IQ estimate is for $103 million.

It said it ended 2014 with $135 million in cash and expects 2015 cash burn to be between $35 million and $45 million.

The company also said it plans to discuss interim results for Study 202 evaluating PEGPH20 with gemcitabine and ABRAXANE in pancreatic cancer patients and review current clinical development plan to evaluate PEGPH20 in two Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer trials, in combination with chemotherapy and then with a PD-1 inhibitor.

"We are committed to exploring the full potential of investigational new drug PEGPH20 which we believe may have utility in a range of solid tumors with accumulation of high levels of hyaluronan (HA). The interim analysis of Study 202 has provided insights into the potential clinical benefit of PEGPH20 in patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer with accumulation of high levels of HA. We plan to meet with regulatory authorities in the first half of 2015 to discuss these preliminary results and seek their feedback on our plans to initiate a registration study for PEGPH20 in metastatic pancreatic cancer," said CEO Dr. Helen Torley.

Price: 12.48, Change: +2.42, Percent Change: +24.06
    Mr BBRY, Corbu, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-07-15 04:19 PM
    Let's start off with BBRY, the stock is following its 3-ema, today we tried to rally above that level and we were dropped back down to the 3-ema at the close. The chart is a simple one:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-jan-7-2015.png

When the stock is below its 3-ema, it is trending downward, we dropped back to the 50-dma, found support, and now, we are ready to rally back above this indicator tomorrow. The 50-dma is what $ 7.18/shr and then $ 9.00/shr was back in the Spring. We are ready to rally here and the general market is too. So watch for a close above the 3-ema as your signal that we are heading higher. Please look at what has happened when we closed above and below this red line in the past few months. RSI is around 50 which means we have some upside on this rally. GL
    01-07-15 04:21 PM
    That crossed my mind as well.... but we know Chen to be very conservative. (not implying anything, just throwing it out there).

Having the AT&T channel is important to BB, so who knows what it may have "cost" them. If anything at all.

Considering where the company was, to where it is now, and where it wants to be.....his conservative approach to certain business decisions may be up for debate.

I do remember in the last ER or when they announced the Samsung merger, he went on to say that a merger has to make sense to both parties. I'm grossly paraphrasing him, "There has to be something in it for both of us, it has to make sense to both of us or there is no point".

so with that in mind, his "conservative" style, and where they are today (without the big US carriers) he may not have given much...

imo
    Hi Munx,

Maybe the fact that they made an exclusive design for AT&T is what it may have "cost" BB to have a US carrier like that on board.

I can't see them, nor should they, get in the habit of creating specific designs for certain carriers...

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...y-passport.jpg
    01-07-15 05:13 PM
    Is there a way to watch BlackBerry presentation which was at CES 2015?

I would like to watch it.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 05:16 PM
    I'm finally getting caught up on all the news and posts after taking some time off of here. In that light sorry if this was already discussed but is anyone else encouraged by the BBM numbers? I think they have a real shot of turning some amazing revenues off of advertising and stickers based on the current response and growth.

OT:

I know there have been some crazy things going on in the world today. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those affected in these senseless acts of violence as well as you all my cb friends that live there.. In the same spirit please keep the family of a good friend and mentor of mine from my army days in your thoughts and prayers. I learned yesterday that he was killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan a little while ago 18 days shy of his deployment ending. He left behind a wife and three children and scores of men and women whose lives he changed. It was a hard blow for me; he saved my life about 3 years ago.

01-07-15 05:17 PM
113,251 ... 31013102310331043105 ...