View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not going to disagree with that point, but the market is already so saturated with mid-level devices. For those concerned about sales, recognize that BlackBerry is selling devices, but there's only so much room there. Heck, each phone company has about 26 brands of phones, then there's the small shops selling really cheap phones. Marketing can only do so much. Give people something to strive for then, advertise important people accomplishing important things with a powerhouse BlackBerry device. Business people dressed for success and using the most secure software in the world. Corporations that can't afford to provide those probably wouldn't pick a BlackBerry anyway. Well, I've always felt this way and recognize others have different opinions and I respect those too.

Posted via CB10
    I think mid-priced phones are super important. Corporations buy those enmasse. And we need that because each BB10 device sold to a corporation brings in recurring revenue from BES license and potential BBM Meeting, BBM Protected etc license. It's super important to have mid-price-range phones (like Classic) priced anywhere from $400 to $500. For corporations in developing countries, $300-$400 phones (Q5 types).

And then high-end phones for senior execs, fans etc.

low-end phones - to just expand BB10's penetration so more and more app deveopers start developing apps for BB 10.

To summarize:

-> Low end contributes to BB 10 penetration but not necessarily to profit

-> Mid end directly contributes to profitability and revenue as mid-end phones are usually purchased by corporations along with BES, BBM Protected/Meeting, Technical Support subscriptions bringing in very high margin, recurring revenue.

-> High end probably won't add a lot to profitability but keeps BB in game and remains aspirational device for senior execs, fans etc.
    01-07-15 10:37 AM
    The problem is still apps and a tiny user base, though. Isn't it? That won't improve without some cheap devices. Without a large user base, they'll be forced into an endless tactical withdrawal while having to pretend it's because they only care about 'serious' people. Not sure that what any of us really want I think we sometimes forget out much the average person doesn't really care about the minutiae. I'm sure they'll buy a cheap BlackBerry device if it's the right price and looks nice. The trick is to price it low enough for them to overlook the lack of some apps. I wouldn't give up on the general public just yet.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 10:44 AM
    All good points.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 10:47 AM
    BlackBerry at #CES2015 Live Blog! | CrackBerry.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-aeecfdb4-51f6-486d-8600-d9ad508b5582_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-f2d89284-ef66-4e48-b29d-e8a28c1cc6b1_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-41dcec64-c0d6-4c75-9d97-bfa9aff73690_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-85270bfe-20f9-4cbe-b08d-420c0578f01a_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-4b68cc7f-41e1-44f7-9161-834eb750e76f_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-e19ed436-176c-43f2-bcb5-789d9b98fe54_500.jpg
    AT&T Exclusive Passport... JC: "AT&T wanted the edges to be round"
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-d719bb7e-2674-46cb-8b34-738c5e10a66f_500.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-96276371-fb87-4f97-82ba-d77667950364_500.jpg
    Support for Android Wear Watches coming to BBM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbm-android-wear.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-f47b7052-a4d4-45e1-931c-4efa6f8a6011_500.jpg

etc.
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-07-15 at 11:40 AM.
    01-07-15 10:52 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rounded-corner.jpg
    rounded corners?
    01-07-15 11:08 AM
    I like that! Also want to know about that white box.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 11:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rounded corner.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	325887
    rounded corners?
    Looks nice ! now I will pass on my original Passport to the wife !
    lol

(BB is truly listening to their customer and delivering !)
    01-07-15 11:19 AM
    Not sure about the round Passport, but interested in the white box.
    01-07-15 11:21 AM
    News Alerts for BB !! Wow, cant wait for the video !

The Newly Redesigned BlackBerry Passport Arrives Exclusively at AT&T
    "A Powerful Smartphone Built for Productivity for $0 Down on AT&T Next

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA--(Marketwired - Jan 7, 2015) - 2015 International CES -AT&T1 and BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced that the newly redesigned BlackBerry� Passport will be available exclusively at https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=7weNlV1d and in AT&T retail stores. Additional availability will be announced in coming weeks.

Built for productivity, the BlackBerry Passport has been uniquely designed for AT&T users with rounded edges. The BlackBerry Passport has a large 4.5-inch square touch screen and a touch-enabled QWERTY keyboard, giving users ideal content viewing without compromising portability. Built on BlackBerry's secure 10.3.1 operating system, the BlackBerry Passport will run on AT&T's network: the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network and the network that has the nation's strongest LTE signal,2 covering more than 300 million Americans, allowing AT&T users to stay on top of business needs every day.

The BlackBerry Passport will be available in the near future for $0 down on an AT&T Next plan at $21.67 per month with AT&T Next 24,3 $27.09 with AT&T Next 183 or $32.50 per month with AT&T Next 12.3 You can also get the smartphone for $199.99 with a two-year agreement4 or at no annual commitment for $649.99.5

"The BlackBerry Passport is ideal for the power professional who wants an innovative wireless device focused on productivity," said Jeff Bradley, SVP, Device Marketing and Developer Services, AT&T. "Available first on the AT&T network in the U.S., customers will benefit from the newly redesigned Passport's enhanced features, including a wider screen, 32 GB of storage, and a 3450 mAh battery."

"We value our continued partnership with AT&T and we look forward to launching the new and uniquely designed BlackBerry Passport device for AT&T customers in the U.S.," Ron Louks, President, Devices and Emerging Solutions at BlackBerry. "Built with security at its core, the BlackBerry Passport stands apart from the rectangular-screen, all-touch devices in the market today, offering users more than a full day of battery life and new innovations, including the industry's first touch-enabled QWERTY keyboard."

The BlackBerry Passport boasts a 453 dpi, a 4.5-inch square full HD screen, 2.2 GHZ Quad Core Qualcomm processor, a 13 MP OIS Camera and 32 GB of Storage. Additional key features include:
    •BlackBerry� Keyboard: The BlackBerry Passport's revolutionary new keyboard brings innovation to input with a responsive touch surface that lets you perform many functions directly on the keyboard. You can scroll web pages, flick to type or slide along the keys to move the cursor, leaving the full screen space for viewing.
    •BlackBerry� 10 OS 10.3.1: The BlackBerry Passport comes preloaded with the BlackBerry 10.3.1 operating system, and comes with a fresh look that incorporates updated icons and an action bar so that each user's most commonly accessed functions are in the center of their screen.
    •BlackBerry� Blend: BlackBerry Blend allows customers to securely access messaging and content, through their smartphone, on their compatible computer and tablet.6 Customers can now receive instant notifications, read and respond to work and personal messages, and access documents, calendar, contacts and media in real time on whatever device they are working on.
    •BlackBerry� Assistant: BlackBerry Assistant is a voice and text command application that enables users to manage work and personal email, contacts, calendar and other BlackBerry� 10 features through simple commands.
    •Battery Power Designed to Keep Up with You: Known for its enduring battery life, Blackberry does not disappoint with the BlackBerry Passport. The BlackBerry Passport delivers BlackBerry's best battery performance to date with a powerful 3450 mAh battery and optimization of power consumption with up to 30 hours of mixed use.7
    •BlackBerry� Hub: Offering a better way to manage emails, social messages, BBM™ and notifications, BlackBerry Hub makes all of your conversations available with one swipe. BlackBerry Priority Hub offers a filtering solution so you can respond to messages by importance. With Instant Actions in Hub customers can quickly delete or file multiple messages, as well as accept meeting invites without having to open the invitation.

AT&T was the first wireless carrier to launch a BlackBerry device in the U.S. with the BlackBerry 950 in 1999; first with a GSM enabled product with the BlackBerry 5810 and 5820 in 2002; and the first and only to launch the exclusive BlackBerry Torch with full QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen in 2011. The BlackBerry Z10 was the first BlackBerry smartphone to run on AT&T's 4G LTE network.

AT&T is committed to delivering fast and friendly service to its customers. AT&T was recognized as the highest ranked wireless provider for overall purchasing experience by J.D. Power,8 for the third time in a row. AT&T outperformed competitors in the J.D. Power 2014 Volume 2 study and received the "Highest Satisfaction with the Purchase Experience among Full-Service Wireless Providers, Three Times in a Row."
    "

BlackBerry Provides Software Platform for NantHealth's Internet of Medical Things Device
    The New Mobile HBox Device Captures and Transmits Vital Medical Information Between Patient, Doctor and Point of Care

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA--(Marketwired - Jan 7, 2015) - 2015 International CES - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, and NantHealth, a cloud-based information technology provider combining science and big data to transform healthcare, today announced the launch of the next generation of the NantHealth HBox, a portable medical device that captures and transmits secure medical data between the patient, doctor and hospital. To power the new mobile HBox, NantHealth selected technology from QNX Software Systems Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of BlackBerry.

The HBox serves as a hub of all medical data related to a patient, and provides easy access to medical records by transmitting information to and from the patient, doctor and point of care. The mobile medical device, powered by the QNX� Neutrino� Operating System (OS), is able to communicate with all legacy computers and devices in healthcare institutions. Currently, HBox collects three billion vital signs annually and transmits that data to thousands of medical devices and 250 hospitals throughout the U.S.

"Combining BlackBerry's embedded software reliability, mobile device management and security technology with NantHealth's ability to develop leading health care devices and platform creates a powerful strategic relationship," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "We look forward to continued collaboration where we leverage our respective strengths to improve patient healthcare."

"With HBox, we have created a 'human signal' capturing device that automatically and securely transmits, through our HIPAA-compliant 'NantCloud,' critical medical data and vital signs to the mission control center," said Patrick Soon-Shiong, M.D., founder and CEO of NantHealth. "Instantly and safely connecting the patient with the doctor and hospital allows for a higher quality of healthcare, expediting diagnosis and treatment, as well as more efficiently and accurately providing vital information into the hands of those in need."

The QNX enabled HBox will be compatible with BlackBerry's BES enterprise mobility management platform in the coming months. HBox, once integrated with BES, will be fully encrypted to allow deployment in a HIPAA-secured environment, enabling clinicians and patients to securely access and receive medical information as soon as it is available, wherever they are.

The HBox marks the second innovative product resulting from the collaboration of BlackBerry and NantHealth. Last month, the two companies announced the first secure clinical genome browser, the NantOmics Cancer Genome Browser™, which provides doctors unprecedented access to patients' genetic data on the BlackBerry� Passport smartphone

BlackBerry Unveils Cloud-based Internet of Things Platform

The BlackBerry IoT Platform Leverages BlackBerry's Extensive Technology Portfolio

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA--(Marketwired - Jan 7, 2015) - 2015 International CES - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today launched its comprehensive Internet of Things (IoT) platform, initially targeting the automotive and asset tracking industries. The BlackBerry� IoT Platform will leverage the company's extensive technology portfolio, extending its best-in-class security and reliability to emerging IoT applications.

The BlackBerry IoT Platform combines technology from QNX Software Systems, a BlackBerry company whose software powers mission-critical embedded systems in cars, industrial applications, and medical devices, with BlackBerry's secure network infrastructure and device lifecycle management software. The BlackBerry global network infrastructure today handles approximately 35 petabytes of mobile data per month in data centers located around the world and manages peering connections with more than 300 mobile operators and 400 partner networks worldwide.

"The BlackBerry IoT Platform blends the technologies that have enabled BlackBerry to become a leader in both the mobile data security and embedded systems industries," said Matt Hoffman, VP of Strategy and Marketing, BlackBerry Technology Solutions. "By combining the BlackBerry global network and device lifecycle management proficiency with the embedded software experience of QNX, we have built a modular, cloud-based platform that gives customers the chance to build IoT applications in a secure, efficient and scalable way. Looking ahead, we will extend the platform with other BlackBerry technologies to give developers additional control over the flow of information to devices on the network's edge."

An efficient, scalable messaging system forms the foundation of the BlackBerry IoT Platform and is responsible for its highly responsive performance. The system serves as the message bus for additional platform modules by delivering reusable services including: BlackBerry's gold standard security; instantaneous data indexing and storage for reliable real-time intelligence; integrated analytics for data visualization; and fine-grained permissions that enable every action, message and data object to be validated.

The BlackBerry IoT modules provide rich functionality for data collection, including time-of-service and maintenance records, and device lifecycle management. The lifecycle management module comprises three main elements - over the air (OTA) software update, application enablement and log collection - designed to accelerate device deployment and extend the longevity of in-field devices. By leveraging the platform foundation and using these pre-built modules only as needed, an organization can efficiently create a customized IoT solution.

The BlackBerry IoT Platform is initially targeted at industries that manage highly mobile, high-value resources, including the shipping and automotive markets. The platform's asset tracking and connected car applications targeting those markets are just the first step in BlackBerry's broad and expanding IoT strategy. The BlackBerry IoT platform will also be extended into the smart energy sector and the healthcare field.

For more information about the BlackBerry IoT Platform, please visit www.BlackBerry.com/IoT. Visitors to 2015 International CES can see demonstrations of the BlackBerry IoT Platform in BlackBerry's QNX booth: North Hall, #2231

BlackBerry Announces BBM Support for Wearable Technology

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA--(Marketwired - Jan 7, 2015) - 2015 International CES - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced at the 2015 International CES that BBM™ will be available on wearable technologies for a wide range of Android Wear™ smartwatches to enable BBM users to communicate faster and more discreetly on-the-go.

According to research firm Canalys1, annual smartwatch shipments are estimated to grow to more than 28 million units by 2015 and more than 60 million by 2017. BBM's large and engaged user base spends more than nine hours a week within the BBM application. Through Android smartwatches, this active BBM community will be able to access their BBM messages directly on their smartwatch without the need to reach for their smartphone.

"BlackBerry is committed to listening to our customers and integrating new features and partners to improve the BBM Chat experience," said Herman Li, Senior Vice President, BBM Engineering and Product Management, BlackBerry. "The integration of BBM to support wearable technology is just one way we're expanding the capabilities of our portfolio and delivering exciting options for customers to easily access BlackBerry's cross-platform technologies."

BBM for Android Wear will enable BBM users to seamlessly:
    •Receive alerts on the watch when new BBM messages come in, see the sender and discreetly preview messages.
    •Read BBM messages in their entirety, navigate among messages and dismiss notifications with a simple swipe.
    •Respond to messages hands-free with Google Now or choose from pre-defined messages to quickly send a response.
    •Accept BBM invites from the watch without the need to access their smartphone.

BBM for Android Wear will be supported by a wide variety of watches that support Android Wear, available from a range of manufacturers. With BBM installed on an Android smartphone, BBM for Android Wear features will become available on the watch automatically. Visit g.co/WearCheck on your Android smartphone to see if your phone is compatible for Android Wear.

BBM support for Google Android Wear Platform will be available in early 2015
    01-07-15 11:23 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rounded corner.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	325887
    rounded corners?
    some guy in the Passport forum called this some time ago. He said ATT&T asked for the changes to the frame for the release.
    01-07-15 11:23 AM
    Patrick Soon-Shiong of NantHealth going to explain how they're going to use the BlackBerry IoT Platform to build the Internet of Medical Things

Today they're announcing the Health Box (HBox)

Able to wirelessly collect all of the data of patients.

HBox collects the patient data, and then via BES/BB IoT they can put the data into the cloud.
    01-07-15 11:25 AM
    The AT&T Passport to launch with 10.3.1! It's here!!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 11:26 AM
    Kevin, at CES :

Good question... have the "Passport and Classic" lived up to your expectations?

John Chen: "The Passport and Classic, when it gets to the hands of the individuals, meet expectations. Right on track. What we need to work on is distribution channel. AT&T is big step forward."
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-07-15 at 11:48 AM.
    01-07-15 11:37 AM
    Not sure about the round Passport, but interested in the white box.
    HBox collects the patient data, and then via BES/BB IoT they can put the data into the cloud.
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy and Alvin Loh like this.
    01-07-15 11:37 AM
    For BlackBerry to make an exclusive design for AT&T, one would have to assume there was a minimum initial order..... just food for thought

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    01-07-15 11:38 AM
    For BlackBerry to make an exclusive design for AT&T, one would have to assume there was a minimum initial order..... just food for thought

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    While I like the progress with AT&T, BlackBerry can't keep taylor-making phones for everyone. I would suspect that this is either a guaranteed profit, or BlackBerry taking their lumps to try to get US support rolling.

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK and bungaboy like this.
    01-07-15 11:41 AM

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    True. Though they don't require a big initial order for customization. I used to work for BlackBerry in 2007-08 - I was in R&D and worked on the original Bold 9000. At that time, I remember going on a factory tour which showed how BlackBerry is able to manufacture just-in-time. Just a few thousand devices if needed.

So, sure, there would be a minimum order but I think it could have been as low as 25,000 devices. But most likely, it'd have been closer to 100,000 devices. It could also be a split 25,000 paid-for orders, 75,000 on consignment basis. If they sell, good. If they don't, lower the price effectively cutting BlackBerry's margin as those would be on consignment basis.
    01-07-15 11:42 AM
    [url]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6w1AjsCQAAKlTO.png:large[/url
    Cryptography software is on 400M devices say BBRY
    Attachment 325901
    Last edited by Soumaila Somtore; 01-07-15 at 12:13 PM.
    01-07-15 11:48 AM
    True. Though they don't require a big initial order for customization. I used to work for BlackBerry in 2007-08 - I was in R&D and worked on the original Bold 9000. At that time, I remember going on a factory tour which showed how BlackBerry is able to manufacture just-in-time. Just a few thousand devices if needed.

So, sure, there would be a minimum order but I think it could have been as low as 25,000 devices. But most likely, it'd have been closer to 100,000 devices. It could also be a split 25,000 paid-for orders, 75,000 on consignment basis. If they sell, good. If they don't, lower the price effectively cutting BlackBerry's margin as those would be on consignment basis.
    I guess 100,000 is the magic number as well......

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    La Emperor and bungaboy like this.
    01-07-15 11:48 AM
    Waiting for the Passport to hit AT&T. I like the rounded edges alot!
    01-07-15 11:52 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Also want to know when NantHealth or NantOmics will go public !!
    lcjr likes this.
    01-07-15 11:54 AM
    BlackBerry unveils redesigned Passport for AT&T, prices Classic - CNET

LAS VEGAS -- BlackBerry's unique Passport smartphone gets a minor facelift for AT&T.

BlackBerry and AT&T on Wednesday confirmed the pricing for the BlackBerry Passport, which gets rounded edges, and the Bold-like BlackBerry Classic. The announcement was made at a BlackBerry-hosted event at the Consumer Electronics Show here.

The BlackBerry Passport, an AT&T exclusive, will sell for $200 under a two-year contract, $21.67 under its "Next 24" monthly payment program, $27.03 under its Next 18 plan or $32.50 under its Next 12 plan. The smartphone costs $650 without a contract.

The more traditional Classic will cost $50 with a two-year contract, $14 a month under Next 24, $17.50 under Next 18 or $21 under Next 12. Without a contract, the phone costs $420.

The two smartphones are critical to keeping embattled BlackBerry in the mobile game. Though the company, which has fallen from its perch atop the market over the past five years, has gradually shifted its focus toward business-class software and service, it still needs the smartphones to serve as the lynchpin and driver of those new sources of revenue.

The Passport was redesigned with more rounded edges exclusively for AT&T. Aside from that cosmetic change, the device is essentially the same. With its shorter row of keys and larger, wider display, it may be too much of a leap for customers, and serves more as an example that BlackBerry can still try different things. The phone was unveiled in September and drew 200,000 orders early on, but the company went quiet over the last few months.

Old BlackBerry fans will likely gravitate toward the Classic, which has a familiar design and shape, but with BlackBerry's latest operating system.

AT&T said it would announce the availability of the Passport in the coming weeks and said the Classic would come in the "near future." Verizon Wireless has also said it would carry the Classic, but it hasn't provided any detail.
    01-07-15 12:00 PM
    please keep yours!!
    Awesome!

Attachment 325900

If you want, use this attachment to update your post, Soumaila and I'll remove this one afterwards
    01-07-15 12:04 PM
    01-07-15 12:05 PM
113,256 ... 30993100310131023103 ...