1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT
    Weekend fun:
    12-26-14 04:00 PM
    Welcome back Shadowy. I was wondering when you were going to reveal yourself.
    OT: Who knows?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-shadow-knows.jpg
    cjcampbell and Mr BBRY like this.
    12-26-14 04:09 PM
    Here's to 2015. To later be known as the year of the short squeeze.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 05:45 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd. Is the Gift That Just Keeps on Giving:

The Christmas gifts are open, the eggnog is gone, and now we have to look forward to 2015 and what investments we want to make to maximize our returns. One company that I believe will is going to return plenty of money to its investors in 2015 is BlackBerry Ltd. (TSX: BB)(Nasdaq: BBRY).

It’s amazing that only a couple years ago — even a couple quarters ago — people were saying that BlackBerry was doomed and that it was going to fail. It had lost the smartphone war with other competitors and everyone was convinced it would fail.

But that’s just not the case. BlackBerry is the gift that just keeps on giving.

What’s working?

BlackBerry finally posted a small profit this past quarter and showed a positive cash flow of $43 million. While revenue has dropped, this move is proof that CEO John Chen’s strategy is working. Further, it is a psychological victory where the company can now say that it is adding to its war chest rather than decreasing it.

Instead of trying to war with the big companies, Chen has the company focusing on enterprise software and hardware. And that has always been what investors believed the company should do. When I first started tracking BlackBerry as an investment, I argued that it needed to focus on what it was good at.

BlackBerry’s strategy

The trick for the company is going to be continuing to put out high quality devices like the Passport and Classic and focusing in on its niche audience. Those two devices are the perfect phones for people to work with, which is what BlackBerry needs to focus on. When I think of BlackBerry, I think of executives, hard working people, and people that need secure devices.

The recent partnerships with Samsung and Boeing Co are perfect examples of BlackBerry focusing in on that niche. Boeing is going to use BlackBerry’s BES 12 to power the security on one of its new “secret” phones. Samsung is using BlackBerry to power the security end-to-end in its Android devices.

Then there is Ford Motor Co. BlackBerry’s QNX software will be powering the in vehicle computers for these cars, replacing the Windows operating system. This is the first step for BlackBerry to break into the Internet of Things world.

Should you buy?

BlackBerry has had a recent run up from $10.65 to $12.41 one the fear of lower revenue in the earnings disappeared. I think the stock is valuable at both of those prices, but you might want to wait to see if the $12.41 range is the new support for the company. However, if you’re looking at BlackBerry into 2015 and even 2016, whether the price is $10.65 or $12.41, I think it is a great buy and you should look into adding it to your portfolio.

If you’re looking for other companies to add to your portfolio, you should look at this report we put together. It’s got a ton of really great ideas in it.
    http://www.fool.ca/2014/12/26/blackb...eps-on-giving/
    12-26-14 06:06 PM
    OT: I know some of you also read Karl Denniger's blog over at MarketTicker.org. A few days ago, he posted the following. Anyone else see/experience what he saw? If so, there's probably going to be a nice sized dip in January.

Look Out Below! (Retail) in [Market-Ticker]

Look Out Below! (Retail)

So where the hell is everyone?

I'll tell you where they're not: They're not shopping, online or otherwise.

I pay attention to shippers (UPS, USPS, etc) around this time of year. My house is at the very end of the UPS guy's route, and as a result the time he gets here -- and whether there's a second dude in the truck with him -- is an extremely reliable indicator of volume on any given day.

Likewise for the postal service, but to a slightly less-accurate level.

There was a burst of activity right after Thanksgiving, as usual. But the second and stronger one that usually shows up in the last week before Christmas has been missing. Also missing has been the usual line out the door at the local post office.

Yeah, I'm sure volumes are elevated over "normal" times, but I'm also very sure that they're nowhere near what was expected for this time of year. The happy-face games may go on for a bit within the retail sector and stock market, but what matter is whether wallets snap shut or fly open when it comes to top-line revenue and, ultimately earnings.

Confession season comes in January folks, and there I do expect long lines and many prayers of penance offered up despite the pumptastic nonsense being desperately brayed from your local TeeVee.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    12-26-14 06:22 PM
    No cheap whiskey this week! Thanks to Morgan's guarantee of $13.50 a share, I upped my game.

Attachment 323421

Just kidding, but Christmas was good to us here
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141227_002614.jpg  
    12-26-14 11:31 PM
    No cheap whiskey this week! Thanks to Morgan's guarantee of $13.50 a share, I upped my game.

Just kidding, but Christmas was good to us here
    Eggs = Chickens?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 04:06 AM
    A glenlivet for me please!

Nothing is better than a single malt as this one
    12-27-14 07:38 AM
    Lagavulin please!

Great Scotch Whisky (Documentary)

BlackBerry Ltd. Is the Gift That Just Keeps on Giving

http://www.fool.ca/2014/12/26/blackb...eps-on-giving/
    Last edited by Highlander01; 12-27-14 at 09:18 AM.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    12-27-14 09:07 AM
    A Lot of Value Is Hidden in BlackBerry: Kirkpatrick: Video - Bloomberg

2:55 & 3:25

Dec. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Techonomy Founder and CEO David Kirkpatrick discusses the best and worst CEOs of 2014 with Bloomberg’s Brendan Greeley and Olivia Sterns on “In The Loop.” (Source: Bloomberg)
    12-27-14 11:16 AM
    12-27-14 01:40 PM

Great Scotch Whisky (Documentary)

Thank you mate!
    Nice long program to watch.
    Highly recommended!
    Highlander01 likes this.
    12-27-14 01:52 PM
    Where is that meme of John Chen calling Sony?

Sony works for third day to recover from PlayStation network attack

Sony works for third day to recover from PlayStation network attack - The Globe and Mail
    12-27-14 02:54 PM
    Head's up everyone! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas...49696.html?l=1 This is not good news for the markets at large.
    12-27-14 03:47 PM
    Agree... and they have a real-estate bubble that's stretched to the limit too, could get interesting.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:21 PM
    Agree... and they have a real-estate bubble that's stretched to the limit too, could get interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Only if it's colder than normal in Russia.... [BOX][/BOX]
    12-27-14 05:29 PM
    Bahhaha

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-27-14 05:30 PM
    OT: CLASSIC update...

Getting more comfortable with this little gem and here are my thoughts.

1) after two plus years of primarily touch screens or at least a mix of touch and keys on Passport this has been a little bit of learning curve.

2) for high volumes of phone calls and ease of pulling up contacts this device is awesome.

3) tool belt software (and tool belt keys themselves) takes a little getting used to but works very well... I'm really starting to enjoy it and it's still holidays', can't wait to see how it does on a busy work day.

4) BBM is a bit slower for some reason ( not sure why) but BBM voice and video works same as Passport... very well.

5) keyboard is a solid and great experience... really enjoying it.

6) device has panorama and burst in camera app... nice touch.

7) device is preloaded with a ton of smart reader access tags, just have to authenticate and off to the races... nice to see.

8) the call and end button for phone is frickin wonderful... if you're like me and doing half a dozen things at once all day long it's great to know the call has been disconnected with a press of a button, rather than having to actually look at the screen and ensure you swiped or hit the correct part of the screen... and don't get me started on if you're outside at minus 25 and your hand are cold and the screen is almost frozen. "LOVE THE BELT"

The experience on this device is different from other BB10 units IMO, not a bad experience , just different due to the belt software. I am really starting to like it!!

So, after about 30 hours as my daily driver my thoughts are... great WORK device, this thing is wonderful for certain things and not for others ( Passport is way nicer for reading long docs or long sessions of web research). This works for that too but Passport is just better at it. 'kinda like a bass boat is great for certain things but a yacht it isn't.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 12-27-14 at 06:13 PM.
    12-27-14 05:56 PM
    OT:

How are the gas prices doing over there these days?
    take99 likes this.
    12-27-14 06:31 PM
    OT:

How are the gas prices doing over there these days?
    Putin has gas?? Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:35 PM
    Head's up everyone! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas...49696.html?l=1 This is not good news for the markets at large.
    Thanks for the FUD's up..... oooops I mean heads up

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 09:29 PM
    12-27-14 09:58 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    OT: CLASSIC update...

Getting more comfortable with this little gem and here are my thoughts.

1) after two plus years of primarily touch screens or at least a mix of touch and keys on Passport this has been a little bit of learning curve.

2) for high volumes of phone calls and ease of pulling up contacts this device is awesome.

3) tool belt software (and tool belt keys themselves) takes a little getting used to but works very well... I'm really starting to enjoy it and it's still holidays', can't wait to see how it does on a busy work day.

4) BBM is a bit slower for some reason ( not sure why) but BBM voice and video works same as Passport... very well.

5) keyboard is a solid and great experience... really enjoying it.

6) device has panorama and burst in camera app... nice touch.

7) device is preloaded with a ton of smart reader access tags, just have to authenticate and off to the races... nice to see.

8) the call and end button for phone is frickin wonderful... if you're like me and doing half a dozen things at once all day long it's great to know the call has been disconnected with a press of a button, rather than having to actually look at the screen and ensure you swiped or hit the correct part of the screen... and don't get me started on if you're outside at minus 25 and your hand are cold and the screen is almost frozen. "LOVE THE BELT"

The experience on this device is different from other BB10 units IMO, not a bad experience , just different due to the belt software. I am really starting to like it!!

So, after about 30 hours as my daily driver my thoughts are... great WORK device, this thing is wonderful for certain things and not for others ( Passport is way nicer for reading long docs or long sessions of web research). This works for that too but Passport is just better at it. 'kinda like a bass boat is great for certain things but a yacht it isn't.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like it's strengths are right where CEO Chen wanted them to be... bb9900 type people.... and those looking to get that awesome Keyboard + tool belt experience...

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 12:13 AM

I love sarcasm !!

Z10
    12-28-14 08:50 AM
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    12-28-14 10:24 AM
113,256 ... 30803081308230833084 ...