View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    12-23-14 04:29 PM
    Hi gang. I love what I read and as Morgan said, you reached a really impressive level and I join him with my hat off !

Quite off for the week yet I try to catch up & read!
    FTR

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141223_232718.png
    Volume is here, raise is smooth. I like that. (lol that's my max. TA level )

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 04:31 PM
    900 x 11. BlackBerry's share is 100mil. The whole portfolio sold for 900mil

Posted via CB10
    Haha. Okay.

I was suggesting that assuming similar value for all of their 44,000 patents puts the portfolio value of Bbry at 1.1 billion as opposed to 11 billion.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 05:09 PM
    Haha. Okay.

I was suggesting that assuming similar value for all of their 44,000 patents puts the portfolio value of Bbry at 1.1 billion as opposed to 11 billion.
    Well, if we assume that this $900M sale establishes the average market value of a patent in this industry...

And if we further assume that BBRY's patent have the same average value as these 4,000 patents...

Then you could argue that BBRY's patent portfolio is worth 11 times $900M.

But I think those are both absurd assumptions.

I'm actually back in BBRY this morning (first time I'm long BBRY in more than 5 years!). I think the next several weeks will probably be pretty good. I will sell before the next ER, though, because I believe it will be hard to string together back to back profitable Q's until the BES12 revenue really hits its stride. That won't be this quarter. I think revenue will drop even further in the current quarter and then hopefully rebound for good in FY16.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-23-14 05:27 PM
    Well, if we assume that this $900M sale establishes the average market value of a patent in this industry...

And if we further assume that BBRY's patent have the same average value as these 4,000 patents...

Then you could argue that BBRY's patent portfolio is worth 11 times $900M.

But I think those are both absurd assumptions.

I'm actually back in BBRY this morning (first time I'm long BBRY in more than 5 years!). I think the next several weeks will probably be pretty good. I will sell before the next ER, though, because I believe it will be hard to string together back to back profitable Q's until the BES12 revenue really hits its stride. That won't be this quarter. I think revenue will drop even further in the current quarter and then hopefully rebound for good in FY16.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Yes I would agree that, that is quite high!
    My point was just that if the market does the math like you and I have, that puts BlackBerry's patents alone worth twice what the whole company is currently.
    If you value BlackBerry's patents at even half of that ($100,000 per patent), you have $4.4billion, or $9 per share from the patents alone!

I would think that this has to open a few eyes, whether the patents are worth that or not.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    12-23-14 05:34 PM
    Haha. Okay.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, I understand, but I feel you're using the wrong number. The entire Rockstar portfolio sold for $900million (not $100million) for 4000 patents (=$225,000 per patent)

Multiply that by BlackBerry's 44,000 patents and you end up at $9.9billion. (I rounded the Rockstar to transaction to $1billion for simplicity in my first calculation)

It was just for value estimation purposes. I am very unqualified to assign values to patents. I am merely trying to fortify our belief that BlackBerry is severely undervalued.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    12-23-14 05:41 PM
    Lol, I understand, but I feel you're using the wrong number. The entire Rockstar portfolio sold for $900million (not $100million) for 4000 patents (=$125,000 per patent)

Multiply that by BlackBerry's 44,000 patents and you end up at $9.9billion. (I rounded the Rockstar to transaction to $1billion for simplicity in my first calculation)

It was just for value estimation purposes. I am very unqualified to assign values to patents. I am merely trying to fortify our belief that BlackBerry is severely undervalued.

Posted via CB10
    Ah!

I understand what you were saying now! Ha. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-23-14 05:41 PM
    Ah!

I understand what you were saying now! Ha. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    No need to say sorry. We're all here for the same thing

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 05:43 PM
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12...rys-john-chen/

Booooooooooooo!

Let's give the nod to the guy who came out of the closet and could have fell asleep at his desk for a year and still won, instead of the guy who actually deserves it.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, dusdal, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    12-23-14 05:52 PM
    Sorry, they can't convince me that Tim Cook is better than John Chen.

Easy going into a well booming company and succeed. Now try and enter into a company that is struggling and turn it around. Blackberry CEO takes "Top CEO of the year" (my view) .

Posted using my Z10 or BlackBerry passport.
    bungaboy, rarsen, awindsr and 6 others like this.
    12-23-14 06:01 PM
    Apple, Microsoft-backed patent group cashes out as legal wrangling cools | Microsoft Pri0 | Seattle Times

If this source is to be trusted, that would make BBRY's share 17% if I am not mistaken.
    I trust the Seattle Time 90% of the time and I read their paper every weekend.

and they do an excellent job when it come to local news (Microsoft)
    bungaboy, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    12-23-14 06:09 PM
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12...rys-john-chen/

Booooooooooooo!

Let's give the nod to the guy who came out of the closet and could have fell asleep at his desk for a year and still won, instead of the guy who actually deserves it.

Posted via CB10
    Tell me about it!!!

What a joke.....on both points!

(ya that's right, I said it.... but will leave it that)
    12-23-14 06:28 PM
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=007b-5013

�The sentiment around BlackBerry has improved over last year as financial viability is not in doubt (at least not near term),� said Steven Li, an analyst at Raymond James.

Wow! Someone with something positive to say.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    12-23-14 08:00 PM
    Can anyone direct me to a "stocks for dummies "book that will help me understand much of what you guys already know about investment in the market. I get lost trying to follow along with the geek speak.
    It doesn't help that my shoes are brown, either.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and doctor gonzo like this.
    12-23-14 08:09 PM
    Santa came early in our house. Lol

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141223_181019.jpg

Initial impressions:
    1) Browser is noticeably faster than Passport (likely due to running 10.3.1.1154 OS)
    2) Calendar is better then leak...very nice.
    3) Solid in hand...feels great!
    4) Maps seems quicker with better location tracking.
    5) Key board is like living a dream from a few years ago...clicky, solid and super comfortable.

For the price point this thing is Frickin awesome!!!

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    12-23-14 08:36 PM
    Why a smaller BlackBerry may be better | Financial Post

“The sentiment around BlackBerry has improved over last year as financial viability is not in doubt (at least not near term),” said Steven Li, an analyst at Raymond James.

Wow! Someone with something positive to say.
    Thank you for that, awindsr!

I'll post that one here, FTR, if you don't mind.

I am sure someone who is more knowledgeable than I am will get back to you with an investment reference or two...

As for the brown shoes...

Why a smaller BlackBerry may be better

Investors don’t seem to mind that BlackBerry Ltd.’s revenues are dropping, sending the stock up more than 7.6% Monday despite mixed reactions from analysts about the smartphone maker’s third-quarter results.

BlackBerry on Friday reported that Q3 revenue of $793 million, while analysts had expected $932 million, but there was plenty of other good news, including the company’s first positive quarterly adjusted cash flow in two years.

BlackBerry closed Monday at $12.43, up 88�, after slightly falling on Friday.

TD Securities analyst Scott Penner noted the revenue miss was entirely in BlackBerry’s devices business, which he said is arguably less relevant to the company’s future earnings power. He upgraded BlackBerry to hold from buy and left his US$13 price target unchanged.

“We believe that the devices business value is largely to maintain the base to deliver services,” Mr. Penner told clients, adding that BlackBerry is effectively transitioning to a cross-platform software and services company. “In this context, the device business should not be banked on to generate profit.”

The analyst highlighted several potential near-term catalysts for the stock, including the expectation that BlackBerry will address more aspects of its opportunities related to the Internet of Things at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.

“This could be the first detailed look at an area of big potential,” Mr. Penner said.

BlackBerry management is also expected to unveil its roadmap for devices at The Mobile World Congress in March.

Mr. Penner noted that January has been one of the best three months to overweight the stock and that it has risen more than 50% so far in 2014, marking the third straight year of gains.

“The sentiment around BlackBerry has improved over last year as financial viability is not in doubt (at least not near term),” said Steven Li, an analyst at Raymond James.

However, he noted that revenue declines in the company’s service access business are expected to accelerate in 2015, so investors will be watching to see whether the company can offset those losses with gains in mobile device management (non-BlackBerry devices) and new value-added services.

“We are lacking proof points on both,” Mr. Li said in a report, reiterating his market perform rating and hiking his price target to US$11 from US$10.50.

But BlackBerry’s declining revenues also alarmed some analysts.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue, who trimmed his price target to US$11 from US$12, noted that it will take BlackBerry several quarters before revenues stabilize as it migrates from perpetual to subscription revenues.

“Software monetization remains the debate, yet encouragingly there are some die-hard BlackBerry customers who can upgrade helping to buffer revenue declines,” he told clients, reminding investors that the company’s quarterly revenues once peaked at $5.5 billion.

Rod Hall at J.P. Morgan also expressed his concern about BlackBerry’s revenue stability, and reduced his smartphone unit forecasts to 7.5 million for fiscal 2015 from 8.5 million. He also cut his fiscal 2016 outlook to 8.3 million units from 10 million.

“BlackBerry continues to execute well though we aren’t convinced that John Chen and team can turn the revenue trend longer term,” Mr. Hall said in reducing his price target on the stock to US$10 from US$13. “The opportunity in enterprise mobility and management is still large for BlackBerry but so is the risk that corporates continue to defect to other solutions.”

BlackBerry has also launched a number of handsets this year, including most recently, the Classic, which appears to have been met with a relatively warm reception.

“The only issue with great success here is that it would exacerbate the decline of service revenues, a source of high margin dollars,” Deustche Bank analyst Brian Modoff told clients, adding that he’s giving the company the benefit of the doubt for now in terms of its focus on enterprise customers. “This quarter the company was in more of a wait-and-see period, whereas the next two quarters will tell much.”
    12-23-14 08:41 PM
    Reminds me of the joke about the ten peckered billy goat.
    10??? Wowsa...he's just a three ******'d billy goat out west. Lol

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 12-24-14 at 08:23 AM.
    awindsr and bungaboy like this.
    12-23-14 09:10 PM
    Double...sorry
    12-23-14 09:14 PM

How to Video

"How to install Google Play Store for BlackBerry 10 "

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=NAUj54MKDno
    3_M4N, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    12-23-14 09:26 PM
    Remember American won't consider a Canadian CEO. That�s why those who love Canada feel sad, when some of us rundown hard working Companies like BlackBerry. What JC had achieved, if it's an American company, he will be celebrated. So, let's cheer up JC and leave American to their choice.

Posted via CB10
    Could not have said it any better. Well that will be their loss. This 1970 mentality doesn't cut it anymore. Global economy doesn't favor one-sided business transactions, either get with the times or face future instability.

Posted using my Z10 or BlackBerry passport.
    12-23-14 09:26 PM
    A good piece, by Paul Leroux:
    QNX Auto Blog: There?s experience, and then there?s experience

[...]

Next, there’s the experience of working with QNX the company. In the auto industry, almost every automaker and tier one supplier has unique demands — not to mention immovable deadlines. As a result, they need a supplier, like QNX, that’s deeply committed to the success of their projects, and that can provide the expert engineering services they need to meet start-of-production commitments. No shrink-wrapped solutions for this crowd.

Then, there’s the experience of using QNX technology to build automotive systems — or any type of system, for that matter. Take the QNX OS, for example. Its microkernel architecture makes it easier to isolate and repair bugs, its industry-standard APIs make it easy to port or reuse existing code, and its persistent publish/subscribe technology offers a highly flexible approach to integrating high-level applications with low-level business logic and services.

And last, there’s the experience of using systems based on QNX technology. One reason we build technology concept cars is because words cannot express the rich, integrated user experiences that our technology can enable — experiences that blend graphics, acoustics, touch interfaces, natural language processing, and other technologies to make driving simpler and more convenient.

Nor can words express the sheer variety of user experiences that our platform makes possible. If you look at the QNX-powered infotainment systems that automakers ship today, it soon becomes obvious that they aren’t cookie-cutter systems. Rather, each system projects the unique values, features, and brand identity of the automaker. For evidence, look no further than GM OnStar and the Audi Virtual Cockpit. They are totally distinct from each other, yet both are built on the very same OS platform.
    12-23-14 10:16 PM
    Blackberry owns approximately 10% share of Rockstar. Therefore, they receive 90-100million. The entire portfolio sold for 900million, which was 1/11th the size of BlackBerry's portfolio.

Posted via CB10
    Anyone know if this reflects to the next ER then?
    12-23-14 10:24 PM
    Ya, I'm agreeing with you.

What's 100 million times 11?

Posted via CB10
    ... Bzzzzz!

Eleventy-hundred million!?
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-23-14 10:29 PM
    Santa came early in our house. Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141223_181019.jpg 
Views:	1871 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	322690

Hey!

You forgot to grout your tile!
    No worries, use the money you saved on the Classic.

PS - I like how you used the Nokia phone as a rag to keep it clean from the tile. Lol.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    12-23-14 10:46 PM
    Scotiabank Boosts BlackBerry Price Target to C$12.20

http://www.lulegacy.com/2014/12/24/s...get-to-c12-20/

Posted via CB10
    lech31, sidhuk, 3MIKE and 13 others like this.
    12-24-14 06:26 AM
113,256 ... 30753076307730783079 ...