View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Almost forgot, the new batch of Christmas apps are available at BlackBerry World.

Posted using my Z10 or BlackBerry passport.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Seem to have some worthwhile apps in this batch.
    12-20-14 07:48 AM
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Seem to have some worthwhile apps in this batch.
    Welcome! Just be careful of the permission on those apps.

12-20-14 08:26 AM
    Welcome! Just be careful of the permission on those apps.

Thanks for the warning ! But some apps need the autorisation to work properly, it permits me to go let's say go into my contacts and share them if I need to , not for the app developer to use. Am I right ?

ZZ TOP10 Catch and release !!
    12-20-14 08:36 AM
    I truly like the good news about Boeing and BlackBerry! That was a great win for BES 12. The quote in the article suggest that Boeing started shipping out the phones, if that is true. How long before we start seeing revenue from the collaboration is something I would like to find out. This win has great potential and I would like to see BlackBerry and Boeing taking full advantage of the situation.

12-20-14 08:49 AM
    I think that you are probably right, but Chen also said that they are working hard to address the missing apps problem.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Posted via CB10
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-gladiator...ing-june-2015/

But it suppose to be a software product.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    rarsen, wojciechp and La Emperor like this.
    12-20-14 09:08 AM
    Lots of devices here.

"Ocean Capital Investment and its subsidiaries (related to Canada's prominent Irving family) have decided to move to BlackBerry's BES12 MDM solution, displacing MobileIron (NASDAQ:MOBL), and swap out their iOS devices for BlackBerry Classic smartphones."
    ibpluto, sidhuk, lech31 and 11 others like this.
    12-20-14 10:08 AM
    I have no idea why the whipsaw on Friday.

The downside I understand, but man alive to see BB rally strong higher to the close ... what was that all about.

Granted, I'll take it, but still in shock.

Comments from those wiser than I?

It will be interesting to see where BB goes next week and 2015 early, gather to the upside hopefully, but how high.

BB priority must be for massive large increase in phone sales, no more sideways / down tick ... we have had enough of this.

We need to see BB increase their sales of products and services ... fast!!!

Enough of the "feel good stories" that come out every few weeks that we are all familiar with as these do not put money in the bank, they just keep the analysts and investors hanging on ... we need sale increases, large ones!!!

Here is another "story" Boeing, BlackBerry working together on self-destructing smartphone - SlashGear Yes, it is nice, but come on, this is not high volume business, just like the stories of months ago about gold plated BlackBerries, good grief!!!

Check out the last line of this article, which I read after writing this post "The arrangement should be good for BlackBerry though, as the company continues to lose relevancy in the consumer smartphone market, the smart choice is to focus on its remaining strengths, such as security and enterprise." ... this is exactly my point!!!

BB has lost so much ground over the past few years and confidence in the market. I think BB needs to get back to basics and stop the "story of the week" re teacher's investing, gov't financing the likes of Vodafone, etc. Yes, I know BB is trying, but this ain't good enough. Even their dealer base is pathetic at selling the product based upon my experiences when inquiring in Canada and USA travels. Why is this? Chen should be asking the same questions, which I am sure he is and reacting accordingly, would be nice too if he told the shareholders what he is being told.

BB makes a great product, however, is the retro qwerty board going to be enough to get a larger share of the market than what they have now? This is their last card that they have to play imho. The rest imho means much of nothing other than window dressing imho, granted there is some merit, but not enough to rally the very strong sales, profits, market share. Enough of the flat line / negative results.

Sorry, if this comes across as a rant, but after yesterday's Q report and Q&A session, which were both negative imho other than to see the rally at the close on Friday on the share price, which quite frankly I strongly believe had more so to do with option expiry than BB benefits alone ... however, a rant it is, take it for what it is worth. Rest assured I want to see BB succeed, but they have to step in up a huge notch ... we are in the last inning imho re 2015, sick and tired of Chen advising next year, next year, etc., etc., etc. The proof is in the sales and profits, etc. NOW!

Coincidentally, a family member bought the Samsung Note 4 yesterday! Eee gad!!! Why not a BlackBerry product!!!

Chen needs to sell, sell, sell .... not the company .... the products and services!!! There will be no buyer for the company otherwise imho.

Ok, back to regular programing, all the best everyone, just had to get this off my chest. No doubt many others of you feel the same.

Bring on Monday, let's see what happens, higher highs please!

Great chart and read at BlackBerry Limited Stock Quote - The Globe and Mail

By the way I never heard Chen discuss the success or not of his massive rebates he was giving consumers to buy this products. What are the results on this. I asked the local kiosk Verizon dealer last night, they had none. Hopefully many others have, many others! Yes, it sure would be nice if Chen were more transparent and had high sales results as is McDonald's ... "Billions served" ;-)

GLTA and enjoy your weekend, looking forward to Monday, hopefully more so to the upside.
    12-20-14 10:18 AM
    Lots of devices here.

"Ocean Capital Investment and its subsidiaries (related to Canada's prominent Irving family) have decided to move to BlackBerry's BES12 MDM solution, displacing MobileIron (NASDAQ:MOBL), and swap out their iOS devices for BlackBerry Classic smartphones."
    What? How can someone "choose" to switch from the iPhone to BlackBerry? Blasphemy!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:19 AM
    Just bought my first shares today. Let's see if this supposed dog can hunt :-)

This Passport takes me places!
    Welcome to the StockBerrians' gang!
    BTW: don't forget to add your vote to the poll !!
    12-20-14 10:25 AM
    I wonder how much longer they will need the dual sims, now that JC's on it.
    Well ... still.
    Several lines but ... on the same SIM, i.e : data (other lines appears to be voice over IP - to be confimed) handled by a single carrier. I believe the multiple SIM feature of the blackphone is to prevent user from a possible carrier outage and/or use different network types.
    bungaboy, rarsen and spike12 like this.
    12-20-14 10:32 AM
    Last year, this time. This company was almost dead. Dead means 0$ value. Or maximum 5$ per share maximum. Do we know what it takes to bring a company to. 01 cents profit. No negative cash flow?
    This is amazing to the pundits that how was it possible? Chen can only do so much in so much time. This was a sick company. Driven and design to go out of business. It juts turned the corner. If one has ever run a business, they would understand that how hard it is to make a buck.
    I like what JC did. He is not a God. But he is the perfect leader for this company.
    Just relax. You are not in the drivers seat. JC is. Be a nice passenger. Rowdy passenger makes it harder to drive. Cause in the end, passenger and driver has the same motive.

12-20-14 10:36 AM
    I think Chen is coming out with a dual boot or VM Android on BB10 base in June.
    No.

Not 100% unless they sign the big Google Services contract.
    ...which is basically where we're at now anyways...
    Won't happen.

(both are my own, no hidden info here)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-20-14 at 11:05 AM.
    12-20-14 10:40 AM
    Lots of devices here.

Now that Blackberry is ending the free pass to BES we should see some sort of ramp up. Now that Blackberry is focused on growth and don't have to be worried about expenses, should lead to a very interesting quarter.
    12-20-14 10:55 AM
    I liked the quarter, and in general I like what they're doing, but there are some problems:
    (quote=italic - me= blue)

*The ASP was so low this quarter ($180). Probably most of the sales were discounted BB7 and BB10 devices. It seems sales of the Z3 aren't that good. So, for Q4, hardware depends mostly on the expensive Passport and Classic devices. So, shipments could fall sharply in FYQ4.
    => You nailed it. ASP has been lowered for incentives that flushed the Legacy BBOS (not BB10) devices inventory down 93% Q2Q year-over-year. The impact has been strong but with that in mind you should compare with a write down if you want to evaluate performance.
    I'm sure many wonder why I respond to this ... let me tell you why:
    If ever you seached to pick THE moment when BlackBerry goes all in BB10 : you've just seen it.
    They won't build en masse BBOS devices anymore. You want to replace your Curve ? Sorry, its name is now Classic, or maybe you want a Q5 ? Wanna be Bold ? There's Passport for that. You're used to touch screen ? Hey, we have a wide offer here, hint: they all start with Z.

*Mostly all the hope resides in software, BES12 and upselling other services. Although, in FYQ3 software revenue felt 13.5% from the previous quarter.

As expected and these are not "hopes" (see below).

*With the EZ Pass program customers receive free perpetual silver licenses without requirements, they don't have to download the software, install it, let alone drop their current EMM contract. Customers just email a screen capture of its current licenses and BlackBerry issue the free silver licenses. So, there must be a lot of vaporware in that 6.9 million figure, similar to the download stats of BES10 that Thorsten used to inform every quarter.
    =>Nope. To validate EZ Pass each CAL has to be activated. Pertpetual licences is a lost concept in BES10+. Only those effectively activated within EZpass program from former BES5 users with perpetual license will be exception.
    BES10 is a free software. What you pay for is services. At the end of the program (!surprise! it's February ) all BES users - even those "perpetual licences" - will pay for support, yearly, wether they came through the EZpass program or not.

*If BlackBerry is giving licenses for free, why only half of their current enterprise base has claimed the upgrade? Maybe a significant part of the other half is switching to other EMM provider.
    =>Er, see above.

The positive bottom line of FYQ3 is fully explained by the SAF time bomb, so It's irrelevant. All that matters is BES12.
    =>We should be ok, then
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-20-14 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Q2Q => year-over-year thanks Corbu !
    12-20-14 11:01 AM
    Lots of devices here.

Irving Empire
    Companies

J.D. Irving Ltd
    J.D. Irving Ltd. (holding company)
    Irving Forest Products & Services
    Irving Pulp & Paper Ltd.
    Irving Paper Ltd.
    Irving Tissue Co. Ltd.
    Lake Utopia Paper
    Irving Sawmill Division
    Irving Woodlands Division
    Irving Transportation Services
    New Brunswick Railway Co. Ltd.
    New Brunswick Southern Railway Co. Ltd.
    Eastern Maine Railway Co. Ltd.
    Maine Northern Railway Co. Ltd.
    Midland Transport
    Midland Courier
    RST Industries
    Sunbury Transport
    Atlantic Towing
    Kent Line
    JDI Logistics
    Harbour Development
    Irving Shipbuilding & Fabrication Services
    Saint John Shipbuilding
    Halifax Shipyard
    East Isle Shipyard
    Shelburne Ship Repair
    Woodside Industries
    Fleetway Services
    Irving Retail & Distribution Services
    Chandler
    Kent Building Supplies
    Kent Homes
    Universal Truck & Trailer
    Shamrock Truss
    Cavendish Agri Services
    Irving Consumer Products
    Irving Tissue (Royale, Majesta, Scotties, private labels)
    Irving Personal Care (diapers, training pants)
    Cavendish Produce (fresh vegetables)
    Cavendish Farms (frozen potato processing)
    Indian River Farms
    Riverdale Foods
    Master Packaging
    Industrial Equipment & Construction
    Atlantic Wallboard
    Irving Wallboard
    Gulf Operators
    Irving Equipment (crane rental, heavy lifting, specialized transportation, pile driving and project management services)
    Commercial Equipment Stores
    Specialty Printing
    Plasticraft
    Personnel Services
    Protrans Personnel Services Inc.
    Security Services
    Industrial Security Inc.
    Professional Sports
    Moncton Wildcats
    Brunswick News
    Telegraph-Journal (Saint John NB)
    Times & Transcript (Moncton NB)
    The Daily Gleaner (Fredericton NB)
    The Tribune (Campbellton NB)
    La Voix du Restigouche (Campbellton NB)
    The Bugle-Observer (Woodstock NB)
    Le Journal Madawaska (Edmundston NB)
    L'�toile (various editions)
    �dition provinciale
    �dition La Cataracte (Grand Falls NB)
    �dition Chaleur (Bathurst NB)
    �dition Dieppe (Dieppe NB)
    �dition Kent (Bouctouche NB)
    �dition P�ninsule (Shippagan NB)
    �dition R�publique (Edmundston NB)
    �dition Restigouche (Campbellton NB)
    �dition Sh�diac (Shediac NB)
    Kings County Record (Sussex NB)
    Miramichi Leader (Miramichi NB)
    The Northern Light (Bathurst NB)
    Here (Saint John NB, Moncton NB, Fredericton NB)
    Former subsidiaries
    Acadian Lines Ltd
    SMT (Eastern) Ltd. Bus Lines
    Irving Industrial Rentals
    Lexi-Tech
    Xwave
    Hawk Communications
    Steel and Engine Products Ltd
    Scot Truck
    CHSJ-TV
    CIHF-TV

Fort Reliance Company Ltd
    Fort Reliance Company Ltd. (holding company)
    Irving Oil Irving Refinery
    Irving Energy Services Ltd. (home heating fuel)
    Irving Energy Distribution and Marketing
    Irving Propane (formerly named Atlantic Speedy Propane)
    Irving Aviation (supplier of aviation fuel)
    Portage Energy Limited
    Override
    Canaport (deepwater ultra large crude carrier terminal)
    Canaport LNG (25% partner in deepwater liquified natural gas terminal, 75% held by Repsol YPF)
    Coastal Blending & Packaging (automotive & commercial vehicle lubricants and degreasers) Irving Lubricants

Cobalt Properties (real estate company)

OSCO Group
    OSCO Construction Group Steel Ocean Steel Ltd. (structural steel)
    Allstar Rebar
    York Steel

Concrete Strescon Ltd. (prestressed cast concrete)
    Borcherdt Concrete
    OSCO Concrete

Construction (commercial, institutional and industrial construction) Marque Construction

Acadia Broadcasting Limited
    Acadia Broadcasting Ltd. (formerly New Brunswick Broadcasting Company)
    CKBW-FM, CJHK-FM (Bridgewater NS)
    CHSJ-FM, CHWV-FM (Saint John NB)
    CHTD-FM (St. Stephen NB)
    Northwoods Broadcasting Ltd.
    CKDR-FM (Dryden ON)
    CFOB-FM (Fort Frances ON)
    CJRL-FM (Kenora ON)
    CKTG-FM, CJUK-FM (Thunder Bay ON)
    12-20-14 11:04 AM
    and its subsidiaries
    That's an important part I totally missed out , thanks !
    12-20-14 11:09 AM
    BlackBerry 'Gladiator' Smartphone Releasing June 2015 | N4BB

But it suppose to be a software product.

IMHO, it's not supposed ...
    Virtual SIM solutions for mobile operators - Movirtu Virtual SIM - WorkLife by BlackBerry - United States
    12-20-14 11:11 AM
    Lots of devices here.
    "Ocean Capital Investment and its subsidiaries (related to Canada's prominent Irving family) have decided to move to BlackBerry's BES12 MDM solution, displacing MobileIron (NASDAQ:MOBL), and swap out their iOS devices for BlackBerry Classic smartphones." Irving Empire
    Companies
    Your wrong, you missed one "Toronto Maple Leafs".
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-20-14 11:23 AM
    My comment of the day: Shorts are smart, they knew sales this quarter was going to be bad. So they had increased their short position. But they underestimated JC and didn't know BlackBerry would turn into profit even though sales was really low. JC is too nice to the shorts, he gave them one more quarter to cover their short position.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    12-20-14 11:33 AM
    Your wrong, you missed one "Toronto Maple Leafs".
    Moncton Wildcats!
    12-20-14 12:04 PM
    I truly like the good news about Boeing and BlackBerry! That was a great win for BES 12. The quote in the article suggest that Boeing started shipping out the phones, if that is true. How long before we start seeing revenue from the collaboration is something I would like to find out. This win has great potential and I would like to see BlackBerry and Boeing taking full advantage of the situation.

I don't think they'll stop at smartphones, Boeing being a military contractor et al. There could be something deeper as Chen was being coy during the ER.

And
    FWIW....

Was at party last night and a buddy of mine who is a Western Regional Manager in Ca for one of the largest pharma ( global ), quipped that they are are moving back to BBRY. I could not do a follow up question coz it was a bit loud at the time. Then I forgot about it after several drinks...haha I will ask him again later. I suspect they are moving to BES12. He's been holding up on his old iphone for several months now. I thought he was going to jump into the 6+ when it came out but did not. I mentioned to him the Passport, he said he liked it also but could not pull the trigger. I also suspect their IT guys were preparing for the shift... Will do a follow on this post later.

Thanks....
    Last edited by La Emperor; 12-20-14 at 12:19 PM.
    12-20-14 12:06 PM
    My comment of the day: Shorts are smart, they knew sales this quarter was going to be bad. So they had increased their short position. But they underestimated JC and didn't know BlackBerry would turn into profit even though sales was really low. JC is too nice to the shorts, he gave them one more quarter to cover their short position.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    Or he suspected shorts mole inside reporting device sale. So he changed the reporting method to keep them guessing for ever what he has actually sold when it came to passport and future classic and what he will actually report. All these are speculations. But reading his style, facial expressions and what he kept hidden on the books and what he reported, he is the perfect match for shorts. No matter how negative I think of his style, he comes out winner at the end. And I have played devils advocate. His style, even though seems very cold cut honest but it is scary because his system is working. And that should scare any one who bets against him.

12-20-14 12:10 PM
    => You nailed it. ASP has been lowered for incentives that flushed the Legacy BBOS (not BB10) devices inventory down 93% Q2Q. The impact has been strong but with that in mind you should compare with a write down if you want to evaluate performance.
    I'm sure many wonder why I respond to this ... let me tell you why:
    If ever you seached to pick THE moment when BlackBerry goes all in BB10 : you've just seen it.
    They won't build en masse BBOS devices anymore. You want to replace your Curve ? Sorry, its name is now Classic, or maybe you want a Q5 ? Wanna be Bold ? There's Passport for that. You're used to touch screen ? Hey, we have a wide offer here, hint: they all start with Z.
    Hi Superfly_FR!

Thank you for this.

Not to be overly picky but I believe you must have meant "year-over-year" about the inventory reduction.

From the transcript:
    I'm very pleased to announce that or to report that our inventory level, on the old inventory, old device inventory level is down 93% year-over-year since the 13 months that this team have taken over.
    As well, on that last part of your quote "they all start with Z", I am intrigued by what JC said in one of his interviews (with the lovely Emily...):
    BlackBerry's John Chen on Products, Strategy, Outlook: Video - Bloomberg

I have transcribed the part that starts around 2:10.

… year-over-year, 93% of our inventory was cleared out and sold through and so I’m actually very pleased with where we are positioned. The channel has very little inventory. I can’t even produce the old phones anymore; so that’s cleared the way to get the new phones…
    I wonder therefore if the old Z and Q series aren't covered by that statement. Incidentally, I just checked and there are no Z10s offered at the moment on shapblackberry.com in Canada, very few Z30s left, no Q10s and very few Q5s. We seem to be mostly dealing with the Passport and the Classic from now on (well, in Canada, fwiw).

Which leads me to believe that they must have a new all touch device in the pipeline, this one probably being announced at the MWC...

Just my 2 cents. Have a nice weekend!
    12-20-14 12:22 PM
    Anyhooooooooooo! I guess stock is going to move sideways or trend down until next ER now. Revenue miss has given enough ammunition to shorts to dampen the end-of-year rally we had been expecting.
    12-20-14 12:28 PM
    I wonder therefore if the old Z and Q series aren't covered by that statement.
    I have no info abt that (will try to ask)... but I'd guess we can kiss the Q10 goodbye. Q5 still have some traction in enterprise for low range though. Z10 is now 2 years old and with Z3 and upcomming "Manitoba", I'd tend to say it'll hold until the launch ...

Which leads me to believe that they must have a new all touch device in the pipeline, this one probably being announced at the MWC...
    Yes they have. Z3 for LTE/4G. Name it as you like

edit: and thx for the "year-over-year", you're of course right
    rarsen, bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    12-20-14 01:10 PM
113,250 ... 30613062306330643065 ...