View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So does anyone think that all the qnx ford cars will be controlled by BES
    Yep. Secure OTA updates via BES saving Ford oodles of dollars vs in shop updates. How many Fords sell a year? By 2016 Sync will almost be sold in every Ford vehicle (vs base system)
    12-11-14 05:59 PM
    OT: Where's there's smoke . . .

Canada's Competition Bureau probing Apple carrier deals

Canada's Competition Bureau probing Apple carrier deals - The Globe and Mail
    Apple would never do anything like this. They play by thr books! P

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 06:00 PM
    Apple would never do anything like this. They play by thr books! P

Posted via CB10
    But . . . their books are in . . . Ireland!
    12-11-14 06:07 PM
    FWIW:
    Five predictions for Canadian tech in 2015 - The Globe and Mail
    Five predictions for Canadian tech in 2015
    This is fantastic media print. People will read this. #1 is Blackberry: they are not dead, or going bankrupt like the whisperers keep saying at the Rogers, Bell or Telus Mobile stores. It's ok if you want to buy a Blackberry again you will have support.

Now Blackberry just needs to get the message out that they have tonnes of [fully working Android] APPS!
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-11-14 06:07 PM
    Thank you, if that does happen tomorrow. I'll be buying more myself.
    I've told myself I'm no longer buying close to end of week. I'll buy after options have settled the price (usually down), close to the close. I'm waiting for a chunk of change transferred from my work RRSP account to hit my SDRP - and I hope that is tomorrow by 3pm
    bungaboy and rim4ever like this.
    12-11-14 06:12 PM
    12-11-14 06:32 PM
    Does anyone remember how Blend is going to be monetized or is it going to be free to all? Or is it free for a limited time?

I ask because I just ran across the BlackBerry Secure Productivity bundle on BlackBerry's website which says VPN Authentication, BBM Protected and BlackBerry Blend will cost $6/user/month as a bundle.

So Blend is going to be a value add service? I forgot.

----------------------
    Btw, while I'm on the subject, the BlackBerry Enterprise Communicator bundle which includes BBM Protected and BBM Meetings will be $12/user/month.

Stand alone pricing for BBM Meetings is $150 annually (equals $12.50/month) per person looking to host meetings. Participants are free. BBM Protected is $40/person/year.

Both bundles will be officially ready for sale later this month. I presume this will be one of the just-before-earnings press releases next week.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-11-14 06:34 PM
    This may be a tad unpopular, but I'm going to post my chart. I'm glad that the ER is only 5 trading days away as I think it will limit the risk of fulfillment. I put my thoughts to words to a BBM contact on this very play back on Nov 26th. What I see is a textbook head and shoulders pattern. The 50-dma, and historical support has held but I think, with the low volume, uncertainty, and millions at stake, the formation could come to fruition. This would also limit the upside on a positive earnings. My target price range would be from $9.30-$9.50. The 200-dma as well as the uptrend from the lows should provide an enormous amount of support.

Of course, I welcome any of the really experience TA guys to comment and/or correct my view.

Attachment 320149
    Holy cow CJ, you've really come along with the charts and analysis. I'm so glad you're on this forum along with the other savy members. It really helps us get several good viewpoints on where the stock is and where it may be heading. If you were closer I'd definitely give you a couple mason jars.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-11-14 06:46 PM
    Does anyone remember how Blend is going to be monetized or is it going to be free to all? Or is it free for a limited time?

I ask because I just ran across the BlackBerry Secure Productivity bundle on BlackBerry's website which says VPN Authentication, BBM Protected and BlackBerry Blend will cost $6/user/month as a bundle.

So Blend is going to be a value add service? I forgot.

----------------------
    Btw, while I'm on the subject, the BlackBerry Enterprise Communicator bundle which includes BBM Protected and BBM Meetings will be $12/user/month.

Stand alone pricing for BBM Meetings is $150 annually (equals $12.50/month) per person looking to host meetings. Participants are free. BBM Protected is $40/person/year.

Both bundles will be officially ready for sale later this month. I presume this will be one of the just-before-earnings press releases next week.
    I'm in for a one-time fee if that's the case, but subscriptions on a monthly basis would steer me away.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-11-14 06:49 PM
    Jeepers. Even the NYTimes.

Ford Trades Microsoft for BlackBerry in Revamping In-Car System

By AARON M. KESSLER
    December 11, 2014

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/12...stem.html?_r=0

Few car-based connectivity systems in recent years have drawn as much ire as Ford Motor’s, known as MyFord Touch.

The company’s attempt to integrate consumer technology into its vehicles was so complicated and undependable when it was redesigned four years ago that Ford’s overall quality ratings plunged in surveys by J. D. Power and other automotive firms.

On Thursday, Ford tried to turn the page on its beleaguered product. The company announced a complete redesign, jettisoning Microsoft, its longtime partner, in favor of BlackBerry, and replacing the MyFord Touch moniker with a new name, Sync 3.

The new system is meant to streamline the complex web of menus and replace it with a more intuitive one akin to a smartphone. In-car technology has become one of the most important selling points for the auto industry, and Ford’s version had consistently proved too confusing.

“Simplicity has value,” Parrish Hanna, Ford’s global director of Human Machine Interface, said in a statement. “Reducing the number of things on-screen also makes control easier and is designed to limit the number of times a driver has to glance at the screen.”

Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst for AutoTrader.com, called the MyFord Touch label “the modern-day equivalent of Edsel for the automaker,” referring to a car that became synonymous with failure.

“What’s more important than the name, however,” she said, “is the ease-of-use and quality function of Ford’s infotainment system, whatever they want to call it.”

A survey that AutoTrader conducted this year found that nearly half of shoppers will walk away from a vehicle they otherwise like if the “technology is perceived as too difficult to use.”

When Ford introduced its infotainment system in 2007, it was quite revolutionary, because it let owners use their own devices to connect to the car. At the time, offerings from General Motors like OnStar were stand-alone products directly wired into vehicles. But the redesign in 2010, which, for example, replaced most buttons with complex touch-screen menus and buggy voice software, proved too frustrating for many owners.

This time, Ford has tried to avoid the troubled rollout of MyFord Touch by soliciting about 22,000 comments from current owners during the design process, and conducting extensive testing ahead of the release next year. Ford said some Ford and Lincoln models would get the new technology next year, with its entire lineup expected to be outfitted with the Sync 3 by 2016.
    jxnb, Corbu, bigbadben10 and 5 others like this.
    12-11-14 07:52 PM
    Pretty good:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...ger-c.-lanctot
    Blackberry to the Rescue, of Ford

Ford’s announcement of Sync Gen 3 today based on Blackberry’s QNX operating system (https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...o-connect.html - “Ford Sync 3 Delivers New Innovative Ways etc.”) closes one chapter on smartphone connectivity in cars and opens another. The move reflects the rise of Blackberry, the decline of Microsoft Auto and the challenge for any car company trying to make sudden course changes in the same way that smartphone makers do.

The biggest takeaways from this announcement:

When you have a problem in the car business, it’s best to turn to a partner whose business depends on the car business.

Ford and Microsoft were on their way to a double drowning – ie. where the rescuer gets pulled under by the rescuee – before QNX stepped in. Ford needed a clean break with the past, especially after Microsoft revealed its limited ability or interest in cleaning up the MyFord Touch mess.

While Microsoft brought a big advertising budget to the Ford Sync launch eight years ago, MyFord Touch was more of an orphan, the result of a broken marriage. Ford has found a far more motivated and focused partner in Blackberry. Blackberry isn’t so much interested in scoring marketing points as it is in delivering an automotive grade solution capable of better positioning Ford for the future.

It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.

Clean as the break with Microsoft is, the legacy of the relationship will live on for years. Ford Sync and MyFord Touch remain in place on legacy vehicles. Microsoft’s ongoing relationship with Ford has shifted to Azure which, in cooperation with Accenture, is working on a cloud platform for content and service delivery to Ford cars.

Microsoft’s original automotive partner Fiat (Blue&Me) is also working with Accenture which has emerged from the ashes of Microsoft’s automotive ambitions as the automotive industry’s newest Tier 1 supplier. Blue&Me’s future looks bleak and Microsoft’s third partner – Kia Motors (Uvo) – is expected to shift to Android.

But, for all of these car makers, their decision to work with Microsoft will linger in cars like an echo of the Big Bang long after the last Microsoft checks have been cashed in Redmond. It’s enough to give any car maker pause to reconsider those Google and Apple vows.

How important is that infotainment system anyway?

Consumers like to have some sexy stuff going on in the center stack, but the reality is that infotainment tech is a low priority. Safe smartphone connectivity with access to a few apps is a check-off item, but not a deal maker or breaker.

Ford briefly changed this calculus when it was spending $100M+ on television advertising of the original Sync with Nuance speech recognition. But those days are long gone. Few car companies are even mentioning Sirius XM these days in their TV ads. Some may mention the Bose audio system. Honda mentions Pandora often. Most will show a screen in the car in their television ads.

Just make sure the system works and dealers can demonstrate it. That is the new mantra.

Why do I care?

The most interesting thing about the Sync 3 announcement is the ability to do software updates via Wi-Fi instead of needing to use a USB stick. How easy this system will be to use remains to be seen, but this is the most important advance as it shows a more realistic, creative, low cost and customer friendly way to take advantage of Wi-Fi technology to solve real car owner problems – updating buggy automotive software.

This positioning of Wi-Fi is spreading to other cars elsewhere in the world and contrasts with GM’s LTE connection which enables Wi-Fi hotspot capability. There is bound to be a little confusion – especially as Wi-Fi emerges as the preferred smartphone connectivity solution – eventually.

Who you gonna call?

Any car maker in a dark place will note well Blackberry’s incredible Ford rescue mission. Like those guys in the hazmat suits with Shopvacs who show up after the hurricane, Blackberry is helping to put things right at Ford – with the help of Panasonic, of course. The press announcement isn’t all that important – and its late in the week timing prior to CES reflects that unimportance.

File this item under nice to know, but it is especially nice to know if you work for Blackberry. They’ll be celebrating in Ottawa (and Atlanta), or, rather, they’ll be working since Ford quietly made this decision about a year ago and Blackberry and Panasonic have been hard at it ever since.
    https://twitter.com/rogermud
    Roger Lanctot
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-11-14 at 08:25 PM.
    12-11-14 08:09 PM
    Three Passports in this picture. Don't mean to show off but just to show love and support. Red for wife. Black for kids. The one taking pictures is my daily driver.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141211_210530.jpg

Attachment 320192
    12-11-14 08:13 PM
    Holy cow CJ, you've really come along with the charts and analysis. I'm so glad you're on this forum along with the other savy members. It really helps us get several good viewpoints on where the stock is and where it may be heading. If you were closer I'd definitely give you a couple mason jars.

Sent using my Q10!
    Well I don't know TA ..just what I've learned on here from the likes of yourself, M8 and Jlagoon and the others.

It does look like that from the chart. Thanks for posting and keeping us believers honest. But the shorts have already thrown so much extra money at this just to keep it under 10.80, now down to the low 10s, just in the last couple of weeks! They are borrowing shares and trading amongst themselves to lower the stock penny by penny. They are losing on those trades as I see it. To get under 10 and keep it there in the next week they will be burning a lot more. All at the risk of a huge beat which would crush them (if it really was a solid beat on all metrics including revs over 1B). I really hope the big money will support at 10. My guess it is will settle around 10.80 at the close Thursday. I'll be looking to add another 15% of my position, was thinking tomorrow at the close, now you have me thinking to average in

Like I said, I don't know anything, I'm just blabbering a bit here.
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    12-11-14 08:22 PM
    Three Passports in this picture. Don't mean to show off but just to show love and support. Red for wife. Black for kids. The one taking pictures is my daily driver.
    Your an A-Hole, and I mean that in the most jealous, I cannot afford yet love the Passport, BlackBerry can sort of way. Enjoy those beauties! And Enjoy and show off Blend whenever you can since us poor saps on other BB10 devices cannot enjoy.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    Andy_bb_king, CDM76 and Mr BBRY like this.
    12-11-14 08:26 PM
    I'm in for a one-time fee if that's the case, but subscriptions on a monthly basis would steer me away.
    The old BIS fee was more like a tax to me. But this is entirely optional. After all, there are on going expenses to maintain, support and enhance the services and infrastructure.

I'm still not clear if you will need a BES server for the BBM Protected when they start charging. The free trial required a BES policy to be applied.
    lcjr likes this.
    12-11-14 08:47 PM
    Sophisticated malware targets execs? PCs and Android, BlackBerry and iOS devices - CSO | The Resource for Data Security Executives

Only legacy BlackBerry devices if any. With OTA java application updates only.
    Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    So here's something that is yet another testament to the "keep BlackBerry down" mentality. The above article is a rather general balanced article on the new malware that is affecting a series of handsets and operating systems. But here is a write-up with a headline reading: "BlackBerry Ltd Legacy Phones Hit By 'Inception' Malware".

BlackBerry Ltd Legacy Phones Hit By 'Inception' Malware

Although the article does mention the other systems potentially affected, the headline grabs you and makes you believe that only BlackBerry phones were breached. In all other articles on this 'Inception' malware, we can see that a number of systems are affected, yet this one purposely singles out BlackBerry in the main title. Where's the 'rolleyes' smiley face when you need it? Ah here it is: .
    12-11-14 09:12 PM
    Well I don't know TA ..just what I've learned on here from the likes of yourself, M8 and Jlagoon and the others.

It does look like that from the chart. Thanks for posting and keeping us believers honest. But the shorts have already thrown so much extra money at this just to keep it under 10.80, now down to the low 10s, just in the last couple of weeks! They are borrowing shares and trading amongst themselves to lower the stock penny by penny. They are losing on those trades as I see it. To get under 10 and keep it there in the next week they will be burning a lot more. All at the risk of a huge beat which would crush them (if it really was a solid beat on all metrics including revs over 1B). I really hope the big money will support at 10. My guess it is will settle around 10.80 at the close Thursday. I'll be looking to add another 15% of my position, was thinking tomorrow at the close, now you have me thinking to average in

Like I said, I don't know anything, I'm just blabbering a bit here.
    Thanks Spiller. The fun of the thread is to meet (digitally of course) others and express our view and opinions on the share price and Blackberry as a whole which influences the SP. Nobody has a crystal ball, but after a while you can remember the systematic movements of the SP. There are 4 on here that post charts I listen to and look at their charts for recommendations (not advice). Everyone has their own reasons for investing and for being here on this thread, but as for me I'm a believer in the future Blackberry where it's all about the software and not the device. My opinion is Blackberry is a software corporation that has some cool devices and the others are phone companies with some software. I feel the whole process is somewhere in the middle right now and more of a transition to that eventual end. Just my view. That being said, I'm a long term investor here with Blackberry. I don't concern myself with day to day media and the fluctuating SP because I know the future is positive. Others have different views and are very concerned with the day to day fluctuating SP. You should find where you are at the moment (things change) and go forward with a positive outlook based on your decision. Thanks for all your input and being a valuable asset here. Things should be getting really interesting soon.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-11-14 09:19 PM
    This may be a tad unpopular, but I'm going to post my chart. I'm glad that the ER is only 5 trading days away as I think it will limit the risk of fulfillment. I put my thoughts to words to a BBM contact on this very play back on Nov 26th. What I see is a textbook head and shoulders pattern. The 50-dma, and historical support has held but I think, with the low volume, uncertainty, and millions at stake, the formation could come to fruition. This would also limit the upside on a positive earnings. My target price range would be from $9.30-$9.50. The 200-dma as well as the uptrend from the lows should provide an enormous amount of support.

Of course, I welcome any of the really experience TA guys to comment and/or correct my view.

Attachment 320149
    Although a number of people I talk to have also noticed the head and shoulders pattern breaking below the 'neckline', in most cases I'd say the stock price would most likely continue to drop. In this case with BBRY, however, the dynamics are different in that there are upcoming catalysts that will have the ability to steer the stock price off standard technical analysis patterns. The Classic release on Dec 17th to a smaller degree may swing traders one way or another...and, of course, the Q3 2015 earnings report on the 19th, which is going to be a very important one as far as stock price momentum is concerned. Only a week away and only time will tell. The daytraders are swinging BBRY share price up and down within the low 10s to mid 10s all day long but it's just noise until the events next week.
    12-11-14 09:19 PM
    Just a blast from the past....

http://www.cioinsight.com/c/a/Latest...-Study-475892/

Sent using my Q10!
    12-11-14 10:08 PM
    Chirp chirp, chirp chirp. Lol

Sent using my Q10!
    12-11-14 10:55 PM
    For the love of god, tell any ford salesman that if they want a blackberry, it's theirs for free
    Any model.

Cross sell it!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 11:13 PM
    Wow, that is quite the chart CJC albeit hoping more upside than down, looking forward to the 19th.

However, if your forecast is correct I suspect will see this as a great opportunity to back up the truck and fill 'er up.

Recent upgrade I read this morning Cormark analyst Richard Tse now calling for $17 USA re However, this week Credit Suisse saying $6 Wow, huge variance. Who to believe?

Regardless, thanks for the chart, much appreciated, all the best, looking forward to a rally up!
    12-12-14 05:12 AM
    Although a number of people I talk to have also noticed the head and shoulders pattern breaking below the 'neckline', in most cases I'd say the stock price would most likely continue to drop. In this case with BBRY, however, the dynamics are different in that there are upcoming catalysts that will have the ability to steer the stock price off standard technical analysis patterns. The Classic release on Dec 17th to a smaller degree may swing traders one way or another...and, of course, the Q3 2015 earnings report on the 19th, which is going to be a very important one as far as stock price momentum is concerned. Only a week away and only time will tell. The daytraders are swinging BBRY share price up and down within the low 10s to mid 10s all day long but it's just noise until the events next week.
    I agree with the "most cases" and agree with the reasons.... the catalyst next week. As far as the Classic launch, however, unless they announce some surprise with that, I can't see it having much of an effect as I believe it's already priced in. For ****'s and giggles, I've posted a nice little H&S pattern below from XOMA that happened last year. It completed and bounced off the 200-dma. This is what I would "like" to see happen here.... but not fall off a few months later like this stock did lol

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot-46-.png
    georg4BB, bungaboy, jxnb and 3 others like this.
    12-12-14 05:36 AM
    http://crackberry.com/indias-first-s...-idea-cellular
    About IDEA Cellular

IDEA Cellular is India?s 3rd�largest national mobile operator, with over 145 million subscribers. With traffic in excess of 1.75 billion minutes a day, Idea ranks among the Top 10 country operators in the world. Using the latest in technology, Idea provides world-class service delivery through the most extensive network of customer touch points. Idea is listed on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) and the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in India.

IDEA Cellular is an Aditya Birla Group Company, India?s first truly multinational corporation. The Group ranks Number 4 globally and Number 1 in the Asia Pacific in the 2011 Top Companies for Leaders (TCFL) study conducted by Aon Hewitt, Fortune (the Global Business Magazine) and the RBL Group. It operates in 36 countries, and is anchored by more than 136,000 employees belonging to 42 nationalities. More information on Idea Cellular is available at�www.ideacellular.com�and on the Aditya Birla Group at�www.adityabirla.com

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    rarsen, jxnb, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    12-12-14 07:29 AM
    12-12-14 07:36 AM
113,256 ... 30233024302530263027 ...