1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Samsung and Blackberry
    Apple and IBM

Interesting what will come out of these partnerships

Also, I havent a chance to watch the investor relations conference this past week, but does anybody know if Blackberry (1) mentioned and (2) have any plans of getting into the "Internet of things" space?
    11-15-14 08:20 AM
    OT:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-facebook-20141115-072508.png

May the best man win the WC but the visibility and positive exposure BlackBerry gets from this sponsorship is monstrous! I would like to see them extend the contract for an additional three years!!!

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    11-15-14 08:31 AM
    I think you spelled Deutsche wrong!

Posted via CB10
    D0uche Bank!
    ibpluto, georg4BB, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    11-15-14 09:22 AM
    U.S. Warns of Vulnerability That Could Leave Apple iOS Devices Open to Attack

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102187253

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    rarsen, bungaboy, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    11-15-14 12:40 PM
    BlackBerry Must Make More Deals Like Samsung Security Partnership

NEWS ANALYSIS: A year ago CEO John Chen said BlackBerry would change from a device maker to a software company that also made some devices. The new Samsung deal shows he is making progress.

BlackBerry CEO John Chen took the long-anticipated step of announcing the next phase in its transition to a software company on Nov. 13 with a new partnership with former rival Samsung. The big news is that Samsung's Knox enterprise security system will be integrated with the release of BlackBerry Enterprise Server 12 (BES12), due out in January.

Samsung's Knox was probably the best known and most prominent competitor to BlackBerry. Samsung is one of the companies that relegated BlackBerry to the position of an also-ran in the mobile phone sales race. Samsung is currently the leading producer of mobile devices since it long ago overtook Apple in the number of devices sold.

Samsung has gone from mobile hardware rival to software partner now that the two companies have agreed to integrate Samsung Knox into BlackBerry Enterprise Server 12 and into the company's Enterprise Mobile Management (EMM) system.

While earlier versions of BES would work with Android and iOS devices, the new partnership with Samsung takes the integration a step farther. Moreover, it acknowledges Samsung's position in the enterprise. In addition, the integration between Knox and BES brings BlackBerry the ability to completely separate the work and personal sides of a mobile device.

Previously, such separation was only possible with BlackBerry Balance, which ran only on BlackBerry 10 devices. The new WorkLife product accomplishes the same capability with Android, but it also allows a mobile device to have two phone numbers, one for work and one for personal use by implementing a virtual SIM (subscriber identity module).

Ultimately, however, it is the extension of BES 12 into integration with Samsung Android devices that could have the biggest corporate impact and also the biggest effect on BlackBerry's long-term outlook. This integration partnership opens a vast new market for BlackBerry that simply wasn't there before, while providing an opportunity for Samsung to promote the adoption of its Android devices in enterprises.

By taking this step, BlackBerry also cements itself more firmly into its new role as a provider of enterprise security software for a wide variety of devices. With BES 12, secure EMM now goes beyond BlackBerry and Android devices to everything from medical equipment and connected cars. Few people realize that BlackBerry has for years been a dominant provider of software embedded in computers for these applications, but without the EMM component.

In fact, BlackBerry's QNX software exists in everything from automotive fuel injection systems to aircraft flight control computers and medical equipment, including heart monitors. Now with BES 12, those devices can be part of a secure mobile management network, something that simply wasn't easily available before. - See more at: BlackBerry Must Make More Deals Like Samsung Security Partnership

While BES 12 will now be well-integrated into Samsung's Android devices, it will also still support Apple's iOS devices and now it will support Windows Phone 8 devices as well. The level of integration isn't as great with Apple and Microsoft devices, but BES 12 still provides secure networking and enterprise management.

The expansion of its secure mobile platforms to additional mobile platforms does not mean that BlackBerry has abandoned the device business that made the company famous, it does mark the company's transition into much more of a software and services platform.

The device business will continue, however. The company launched the BlackBerry Passport with stronger-than-expected sales in September, and the company's new BlackBerry Classic smartphone, which merges the familiar BlackBerry Bold design with the BlackBerry 10 operating system, will be launched on Dec. 17.

For the long run, however, BlackBerry needs to leverage its strong position in the mobile security market with BES 12. The only way the company can do this is by building partnerships with leaders in the devices business and riding on their success as a way to continue the company's recovery from the days when it was losing billions of dollars per quarter trying to maintain its position as one of the world's top smartphone makers.

By partnering with Samsung, which has shown significant success with its smartphones in the enterprise, BlackBerry now has a road map to the future. But that road map needs a few more pathways to lead the company out of the wilderness.

As important as the partnership with Samsung may be, BlackBerry also needs to forge similar relationships with major Android device manufacturers and perhaps build a solid partnership with Apple.

Creating a partnership with Apple may not be as far-fetched as it may seem at first glance. Apple's new approach to the enterprise, as indicated with its support contract with IBM, still needs a secure communications backbone and management platform.

Although BES already performs some of that, for serious enterprise use, a deeper level of integration is critical. While Apple could possibly go its own way in offering a secure network and management system, the better path for enterprise users is to work with a system they already know.

For the same reasons that Samsung picked BlackBerry as its partner for the final part of its enterprise solution, such a partnership would also work with Apple. The advantage for Apple is that it would build on a platform that already exists and which is already widely accepted by the biggest players in that part of the business.

If that approach seems familiar, it should. This is exactly how Apple approached the payment industry with Apple Pay, which is already showing signs of being a solid success.
    11-15-14 12:45 PM
    Lots of positive news in light of the investors meeting but the Wall Street concensus is essentially a 'hold' or 'market perform'. I expect a slow, choppy upwards grind for the next month...until, as I noted in an earlier post, the Q3 earnings report.

To the active traders on this forum, it's not a surprise that BBRY, as a small cap company, will tend to follow the Russell 2000 ETF (ticker IWM). If you look back over the past few months you'll note how BBRY largely mirrors the IWM. This is why BBRY dipped when it did, seemingly with no bad news, and inexplicably rose (albeit infrequently!) on no news. The huge swings in BBRY's share price leading up to the investors meeting confused a lot of investors but hopefully this tidbit somewhat explains the fluctuations.

Lastly, as noted previously, the huge run-up on Nov 13th was likely the combination of shorts covering their positions fuelled with bullish investors buying in, followed by investors naturally profit-taking with single day 7% returns. Even by Friday afternoon, weary short-term investors could've sold at $11.20 and still turn a gain if they bought in Monday Nov 11th in the $10.80 range.

I believe next week things will get back to normal and we resume our slow trek onwards and upwards.
    11-15-14 06:44 PM
    KIA at it again. OP your best friend has published something you might like, I know how much you like him . Lmao on the floor.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2683...for-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the reasons for providing a link to this poor SA writer in here. He's been bashing BlackBerry for so long and I've posted about this few weeks back. He will not be reasoned with no matter how good your points on BlackBerry are. So, please stop posting anything about him or his articles. He's not worth the click that piece of crap article was written on. Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    11-15-14 06:55 PM
    I don't understand the reasons for providing a link to this poor SA writer in here. He's been bashing BlackBerry for so long and I've posted about this few weeks back. He will not be reasoned with no matter how good your points on BlackBerry are. So, please stop posting anything about him or his articles. He's not worth the click that piece of crap article was written on. Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    You can't just close your eyes to the world. The posts are where you find some of the best information. Also it's nice to see who ever KIA is, getting the whooping it deserves.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 08:28 PM
    KIA at it again. OP your best friend has published something you might like, I know how much you like him . Lmao on the floor.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2683...for-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    I somehow can't shake a mental image of Kia tapping away, spewing his vitriol, from his mum's basement...hmm?

ibpluto, rarsen, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    11-15-14 08:51 PM
    I somehow can't shake a mental image of Kia tapping away, spewing his vitriol, from his mum's basement...hmm?

Also with pizza boxes stacked up against the closet door. He also has the Globe and Mail news paper articles, about BlackBerry, all over his wall. I have to stop, it's a terrible image!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 09:21 PM
    Not sure if this was posted, but I noticed the first bold statement from Samsung about the Most Secure solution. anyone reading that and then considering Mobile Iron or another company for MDM solutions would be hard pressed not to choose BBRY.

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/...knox-and-bes12

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 09:22 PM
    11-16-14 09:29 AM
    You can't just close your eyes to the world. The posts are where you find some of the best information. Also it's nice to see who ever KIA is, getting the whooping it deserves.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer.

Posted via CB10
    You are fairly new in here. If you had to put up with all the ish that we have been subject too you might understand some of the sentiments and sensitivities better.

Anyway, no harm no foul.
    11-16-14 10:34 AM
    11-16-14 10:51 AM
    You are fairly new in here. If you had to put up with all the ish that we have been subject too you might understand some of the sentiments and sensitivities better.

Anyway, no harm no foul.
    Post deleted, if people want to keep their eyes closed, so let it be.
    11-16-14 10:58 AM
    Post deleted, if people want to keep their eyes closed, so be it
    No worries and no need to delete...to be clear though, Kia's entire reason for being is to spread FUD concerning BlackBerry and pump APPL. Never has he (she?) posted so much as a luke warm response or thought to anything positive taking place. I commented negatively here, a BB supporting forum, not to offend but more in disbelief of his/her head in the sand ramblings, (something we have been accused of here).
    All in all, we are moving up, Kia's points are nothing but half thought out regurgitation 's of others POV and I enjoy pointing that out.

11-16-14 11:12 AM
    OT:

[start joke]

Is it ironic that someone using the Toronto Maple Leafs as an avatar scolds us for keeping our eyes closed?

Go Habs Go! LoL

[/end joke]

You shouldn't have deleted your post. No need for doing that. I was just trying to explain things to you.

Like I said. "No harm. No foul."
    11-16-14 11:16 AM
    No need to delete. this was a family and friends discussion in general, among us, IMO, I wouldn't get upset.
    11-16-14 11:20 AM
    I have to make a point here if I may. It is fine to post any and all relevant information to a board like this one, no one is suggesting that you only post biased, positive articles about BlackBerry, let's be clear about that.

The problem arises when the source of that information is questionable at best, i.e., what's the agenda of the publishing house?

SA/MF allow anyone with a screen to say whatever they want about your investments. There is no filter applied to what is said by the author, and, in many cases the only filter you will see, is when they delete response to articles.

1) If the reporting house wants to filter responses, do you really want to support their efforts?

2) If the reporting house allows unfiltered comments about your investment and you and many others are well aware that the data is poorly presented, not complete or in some way "enhanced", do you want to support their efforts?

3) If the sole reason for existence is "clicks" ,and without traffic, that reporting house would no longer exist, would you want to support their efforts?

I could go on here for an hour, there is so much fundamentally wrong with the SA/MF format that I feel so sorry for the authors of the one or two articles that come out of that media, that are balanced. Occasionally, we find a balanced article, but that is so rare though that I choose not to support a group that polices responses to their click driven identities. Something is very wrong about taking investment advice from that type of source given their incentive package and how they control the responses of others.

I stress, this is my personal opinion, and why I will never submit an article from either of those two groups as a reference to an investment. It all comes down to credibility and neither of these groups have any of that stuff.
    ibpluto, bungaboy, 95aero and 14 others like this.
    11-16-14 11:51 AM
    Lets move on! I only get offended when someone attacks my Toronto Maple Leafs. Hint, I'm watching you and your Habs team.
    What a beating the Leafs took yesterday at the hands of the last place team.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-funny_cat.jpg
    11-16-14 12:46 PM
    Extremely good post about SA/MF, morgan. Much appreciated.

I just thought I would mention that.

Come to think of it, there are really very few credible sources of information, with the all too often biased (or inadequately informed) views of the so-called official legacy media, the news agencies whose work is often regurgitated ad nauseam in one form or another, the obvious click baits and the SA/MF outfits of the world... I guess we have to work with all of those sources and try to make some sense of it all. Likewise for the analysts... The answer can only be in some form of middle ground of all of this. Personally, I like to stick as often as I can to what JC and the company's management say in interviews, direct quotes, etc. Hard news.

Cheers all,
    11-16-14 02:15 PM
    Extremely good post about SA/MF, morgan. Much appreciated.

I just thought I would mention that.

Come to think of it, there are really very few credible sources of information, with the all too often biased (or inadequately informed) views of the so-called official legacy media, the news agencies whose work is often regurgitated ad nauseam in one form or another, the obvious click baits and the SA/MF outfits of the world... I guess we have to work with all of those sources and try to make some sense of it all. Likewise for the analysts... The answer can only be in some form of middle ground of all of this. Personally, I like to stick as often as I can to what JC and the company's management say in interviews, direct quotes, etc. Hard news.

Cheers all,
    What would be interesting would be to correlate and graph, over time, the amount of negative FUD with share price.
    11-16-14 02:22 PM
    I would like to add something to my previous post...

I guess we have to work with all of those sources and try to make some sense of it all. Likewise for the analysts... The answer can only be in some form of middle ground of all of this.
    I should have added that aside from all thoses sources, we have also learned over the months and years to trust the very enlightened input of this thread's members. The knowledge and decency of the people of this thread - most of which strive to make a positive contribution, irrespective of their investment level, background and experience - is remarkable and deserves mention. Are there many threads of this quality around? I do not know but I doubt it. We should all be proud: those who take the time to share their valuable knowledge and those who don't but stick around to learn, keep abreast and contribute something else, somehow. Collectively, we are stronger. I, for one, have learned tons over the years. So, thanks to SF for creating this baby and thanks to all of you, ladies and gentlemen. Looking forward to the next few months as we hope that this ship will be brought back to port, some of its former glory having been recovered.

Cheers,
    CDM76, morganplus8, jxnb and 11 others like this.
    11-16-14 05:40 PM
    BlackBerry?s New Plan Could Bear Fruit -- Heard on the Street - WSJ

Attempt at Revival Is Showing Signs of Life

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mi-cg285_blackb_g_20141116170607.jpg

Having been thoroughly crushed in smartphones, it is amazing that BlackBerry seems to have any juice left.

At least, investors seem to think so. It has been a year since BlackBerry switched out its senior management—for the second time—and effectively gave up on the consumer smartphone business. In that time, the company has slashed costs to cope with diminished revenue while also working to build up new mobile software offerings aimed at corporations. Despite the new business being in early stages, BlackBerry stock has leapt more than 85% in that time.

That would seem to set it up for another spectacular fall. But the company’s new goals are more grounded.

While it is still building a small number of new devices to serve a niche crowd of loyalists, BlackBerry’s main focus now lies in software. Last week, it launched its new BES 12 platform which is to be the linchpin for a suite of mobile services designed for business users that works across all devices, including those from BlackBerry’s competitors.

This initiative is already showing traction: BlackBerry says it has about 5.1 million licenses signed up for a program that allows corporate users to try the BES platform for free until the end of January. That is up 50% from what the company had just two months prior. BlackBerry still faces the burden of converting these into paying customers when the time comes, though—and the stakes are high.

The company made $2.7 billion in high-margin revenue from service activation fees in the fiscal year ended March 1. Chief Executive John Chen said last week that this number is expected to slide to about $1.6 billion for the current fiscal year, and plunge to the $800 million range in fiscal 2016.

BlackBerry has targeted its mobile software business to grow to about $500 million in annual revenue by fiscal 2016, so it won’t be anywhere close to offsetting the decline in service fees. The company’s niche handset business may help fill that gap: Analysts see revenue for it to still be roughly $2 billion in fiscal 2016, down from $3.8 billion in fiscal 2014. And BlackBerry is adding new services to the BES 12 platform to grow average revenue per user.

BlackBerry’s brand still resonates with corporate-technology executives, so this plan is plausible. But the hard fact remains that the company will be getting a lot smaller before it can get bigger—a risky, even if ultimately necessary, transition. That, along with BlackBerry’s turbulent history, could mean the stock’s sharp run-up of late gives investors pause.

The stock’s saving grace, though, is that it was coming off a low base, trading at less than half book value when Mr. Chen took over. It now trades at about 1.6 times forward sales. Clearly, that implies some sort of turnaround already being priced in. Even so, it is low compared with mobile software rival MobileIron at 4.5 times.

So there may still be further gains for BlackBerry ahead, with the company finally making the right kind of moves.
    11-16-14 05:45 PM
    LoL. Apple buying bbry? Hahahaha.
    http://sierraworldequityreview.blogs...l-and.html?m=1

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    11-16-14 07:33 PM
113,256 ... 29772978297929802981 ...