View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Any thoughts on which 'Fortune 10' company JC was referring to in the Q&A when asked about existing BES12 adoption?...he only would say 'they'd kill me if I told you who it is'...

Posted via CB10
    Berkshire Hathaway or GE
    La Emperor likes this.
    11-14-14 07:41 AM
    Any thoughts on which 'Fortune 10' company JC was referring to in the Q&A when asked about existing BES12 adoption?...he only would say 'they'd kill me if I told you who it is'...

Posted via CB10
    I think it's Apple
    11-14-14 07:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry already has associations with Ford. So assuming that he was talking about a different company, it could be any of the remaining 9 ... except Apple. lol

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:53 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files, with the typical last line foreigners "are believed to be at fault" for penetration, and where lack of proper protection or better choices in security technologies doesn't seem to merit mention:

Feds 'covered up' Chinese hack on US weather systems | ZDNet
    11-14-14 08:27 AM
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bl...090757660.html

Blackberry has no immediate plans to crack 'sensitive' China market

BEIJING (Reuters) - Blackberry Ltd Chief Executive John Chen sees Asia as key to reviving the loss-making smartphone maker's fortunes but expanding in the region's biggest market China, where security data concerns are rife, is currently not a priority.

Chen, who has been managing the company's turnaround for the past year, told Reuters that concerns over information security and the political backlash that security breaches could create dimmed the allure of the world's biggest smartphone market for Blackberry for the time being.

Instead, the company is keen on expanding in India and Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, Chen said in an interview in Beijing this week during his first visit as CEO to mainland China, where he attended the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.

"It takes too long to ramp up to a size that is even reasonable (in China)," said Chen.

"Even if I have that time and money I'll probably have better returns going into a different set of markets that we are already in, like India, South Asia, and Southeast Asia."

Questions about Blackberry's China strategy resurfaced last month after Chen told reporters that China was "too big a market to ignore" and that he was actively considering how to tackle a country in which Blackberry maintains a skeleton staff.

Blackberry shares have also fluctuated in recent weeks on rumors of a potential acquisition offer from Chinese hardware giant Lenovo Group Ltd.

Chen, a Hong Kong native who made his name turning around software firm Sybase during the 2000s, said he had met with Chinese government officials, investors and telecom carriers in Beijing. He also said he held informal meetings with executives from Lenovo and smartphone makers Xiaomi and HTC Corp.

Chen said Blackberry would be open to a partnership with an Asian counterpart that "has something serious to offer in business, not cash, because we have $3 billion in cash".

The most difficult question for Blackberry in China remains information security, which Chen has made the bedrock of Blackberry's brand.

He said any expansion into China would likely require an agreement with Chinese authorities over how Blackberry would respond to requests for user data, and Blackberry would have to provide a level of security that both Chinese and Western authorities were "comfortable" with.

"I don't want to get sucked into a geopolitical equation," he said.

In 2012, Blackberry reportedly allowed the Indian government to read some encrypted communications but not messages from its corporate customers. The Indian authorities had said that, after the 2008 militant attacks in Mumbai, they needed access to private messages for law enforcement purposes.

Chen said he understood the law enforcement argument, but did not want to jeopardize Blackberry's security reputation. He said he would not turn over information without a court order.

"There has got to be a compromise," he said.

At the same time, Chinese state-owned enterprises, which comprise a large proportion of the Chinese corporate market that Blackberry covets, may be skeptical about data security issues, he added.

These security concerns, however, will not stop Blackberry from exploring ways to enter "a great market", Chen said.

China may be "sometimes sensitive because of security" issues, he added. "But there are opportunities."
    rarsen, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    11-14-14 08:40 AM
    I wasn't here yesterday to post. I know somebody already posted it but just wanted to add this (summy & BBRY) is what M+ has been hopping to happen year ago he said it many time.
    M+8 you Rock! BBRY management should be seeking time to time your advises! for now smart peoples in this thread are the lucky ones. have a good day gang
    eh? samsung?
    BlackBerry, Samsung Partner on Mobile Security - WSJ - WSJ

right at noon all the news came out.. woah
    bungaboy, georg4BB, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    11-14-14 08:49 AM
    Out of thanks but...huge kudos to everyone who have waited for this thing to start forward again. This thread rocks...missed the day due to work but everything I need to know is here.

Also...M8, we have all learned so much, thank you!!

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    WOW! What a fantastic day yesterday was with some big announcements that drove us right through key resistance SP levels. I missed the fireworks because I am traveling in the Bahamas and I just worked my way through the 12 pages of excitement! Thanks a million to everyone here for the outstanding content and congrats to my fellow longs who held through this rally! Now I'm going back to my vacation and have a real reason to celebrate! Cheers!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    bungaboy, ZayDub, JLagoon and 8 others like this.
    11-14-14 08:55 AM
    Bottom just fell out. Profit taking?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 09:09 AM
    https://twitter.com/jenniferhedger/s...69187485184000

I have done it! I have switched back to a Blackberry from an Iphone. No more typos. No more looking to charge my phone. #liberating
    11-14-14 09:10 AM
    Thoughts and prayers for your buddy.
    Hi guys,
    back from bed.

I have a special request for a gang buddy.
    His mom passed away and her funeral will be Saturday.
    He's far from home and I know he's reading this thread.

Would you mind liking this post as lighting candles to show support ?
    And if you believe, a little prayer ...

Thanks guys.

(please do not thank this, I'd feel very uncomfortable)
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    11-14-14 09:39 AM
    Can BlackBerry's Samsung partnership help it woo business customers? - Fortune

We talk to BlackBerry’s chief executive John Chen about its new mobile security deal and Kim Kardashian. (Really.)

It’s been about one year since John Chen, CEO of BlackBerry, took the top job at the struggling phonemaker. Since then, he has embarked on a campaign to bring the company back to its roots and spark new innovations and partnerships where he feels necessary—in short, to make BlackBerry relevant to business users again.

To that end, this week in San Francisco Chen took the stage to make a number of announcements, including a recently-inked agreement with smartphone maker Samsung Electronics. According to the deal, both companies will sell each other’s mobile security products. (A true sign of the times: Chen joked with the audience about the fact his wife still uses a Samsung Galaxy phone.) The company also announced an updated BlackBerry Enterprise server, which will allow customers to more easily manage BlackBerries and devices made by other manufacturers.

Under Chen’s direction, BlackBerry’s losses are improving, but the company is still bleeding money and there is still plenty of cause for concern about its long-term prospects. Ahead of his announcements in San Francisco, Fortune caught up with Chen to hear more about his strategy—and Kim Kardashian.

Fortune: What does returning to BlackBerry’s roots mean to you today?

Chen: The overall returning to the roots is much beyond the device. The Classic [an upcoming BlackBerry device that will bring back its traditional trackpad] is an important part but it’s not the only part. Very early in my career here I talked about re-pivoting back to the enterprise. It implies not only the devices but also the enterprise using our software and server as the backbone. When BlackBerry was doing well almost everyone was running on BlackBerry enterprise server. When we lost our focus we lost quite a bit of traction and accounts. But the reason I went back to the Classic is that a tremendous number of customers want it.

In light of that “return to roots,” how do you view innovation at BlackBerry? What role does it play today?

The guiding principle of our development teams is that everybody is focused on the following pillars: security, privacy, productivity, and collaboration. We focus on all of those. For example, on BBM [BlackBerry Messenger] we just released the timed message feature—people call it the “Snapchat feature.” We allow people to retract messages, not just to recall them. The whole design center is really focused on security, privacy, productivity and collaboration. We’re not trying to compete on everything.

Winning back developers is another aspect of returning to BlackBerry’s roots. How are you feeling about status with developer ecosystem?

There are only a handful of apps, like Facebook, that we build native. We are relying on our relationship with Amazon for the others. Everything that appears on Amazon’s app store you can run on BB10 [the latest version of BlackBerry’s operating system]. In doing so we free up our enterprise developer community to focus on developer platforms. On that front the re-pivoting is only six to nine months old since I came in. We have some good traction but still a lot of work to be done.

What about changing the culture and building up morale at BlackBerry? How have you re-pivoted internally too?

The traditional way for every CEO is to come in and talk about the vision; I tend to focus on execution. When morale is down and people are leaving you really need to make sure your execution is aligned. I am quite pleased that there are a lot of very loyal employees that have risen to the occasion. By returning to the roots they not only feel comfortable, but they surely understand it. The stability has to come from not only public opinion but by making money. So I’m very focused on making money. You can’t keep their morale high if they keep looking over their shoulder and wondering if there will be layoffs. I took the bold statement of telling the company that we’re done with the layoffs. I don’t want to give the impression that morale’s great. But it will be great. I expect the crossover point to happen next year, and we will turn around and make ourselves profitable. Without the results it’s hard to turn around people’s morale.

What’s up with Kim Kardashian and BlackBerry? The reality TV star recently told a tech conference audience that she hoards BlackBerrys. How much do you love her right now?

I don’t know the lady. Every time there is a die-hard fan, especially someone as well known as she is, that spontaneously and unprompted says she loves BlackBerry, I love it. I just don’t know how to connect to her. Of course I love it.
    11-14-14 10:04 AM
    Where is the support now ? and what line should we look to hold
    11-14-14 10:04 AM
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. You are all lovely people and I am very glad to be part of this community.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    11-14-14 10:05 AM
    Where is the support now ? and what line should we look to hold
    Morgan said so yesterday. I'm fascinated watching the SP to see, if he was (again) right.
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    11-14-14 10:11 AM
    Bottom just fell out. Profit taking?

Posted via CB10
    This is the opportunity to get back in. As per M+8 yesterday he said to look at getting back in at about 11:50

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    11-14-14 10:11 AM
    This is the opportunity to get back in. As per M+8 yesterday he said to look at getting back in at about 11:50

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Morgan seems to be spot on a lot of the time. I missed getting 'out' and back 'in' but that's ok. I don't want to miss anything when the long term is UP. Just added another 10% of my BB holdings to my BB holdings. I find more comfort in this stock than buying the S&P or DOW index at these levels. I keep buying on the dips.
    11-14-14 10:15 AM
    Morgan said so yesterday. I'm fascinated watching the SP to see, if he was (again) right.

Shorts are trying really hard to breach (and keep) it under that 11.50 level. I think the profit have been had (12.50 to 11.50). I can't see the big players letting this slip even more?
    11-14-14 10:17 AM
    To be fair, Z30 wasn't selected, which is also a good sign !
    11-14-14 10:20 AM
    Check out Work Wide in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59945209

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    11-14-14 10:21 AM
    Just thinking about the Samsung / BlackBerry partnership. I think that we may have all missed something to this point. What is the one thing Samsung has (and is good at) that BlackBerry doesn't have? Advertising / Marketing.
    What if this partnership includes advertising / marketing campaign (for BES12 / KNOX) ? Is it possible? Would it be as great as I imagine it could be? That would definitely give BlackBerry an edge again.
    Just thinking outside the box and trying to see what Samsung could give to BlackBerry besides access to Android devices and Kno
    Posted via CB10

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    11-14-14 10:25 AM
    Expected bears' strike-back.
    BlackBerry (BBRY) Stock Declines on Services Revenue Outlook - TheStreet

Yet ...
    Resistance ($11.50) tested, breaked but resisted (now $11.55 and climbing)
    11-14-14 10:57 AM
    Getting some info
    Cormark upgraded BB to speculative buy
    JP Morgan raised PT to $13
    11-14-14 11:13 AM
    Well I think that BBRY reacted exactly how we thought it would today. hopefully some of y'all were able to boost your positions. I'm playing with the idea but I'm in my slow season at work. so I have to be a little more frugal.
    11-14-14 11:44 AM
    Over at CNN

You can assume 'the winner', all time high share price vs 12 month high, but it is a fairly decent take on Chen's accomplishments.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ceo.jpg

Best CEO of 2014: Apple's Tim Cook or BlackBerry's John Chen? - Nov. 14, 2014
    11-14-14 12:08 PM
    Houston ...
    11-14-14 12:26 PM
113,256 ... 29742975297629772978 ...