View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What an awesome day for BBRY. Congrats to all the longs and blackberry employees. Long BBRY since Feb 2013 (not green yet, but did double-down along the way)
    11-13-14 03:40 PM
    So that was a crazy day! Didn't see the Samsung news coming at all. They need all the BlackBerry help they can get, here's the chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-nov-13-2014.png

Here is what I see happening for BlackBerry in the days ahead, I see us dropping back to support which is the previous 52-week high at $ 11.65/shr. We will likely drop just below that number and find support ($ 11.50/shr ), move sideways for a week and start our end of the year rally. In order for me to change my mind, we would have to close above that upper blue line currently trending at $ 12.40/shr. The drop into the close was some serious profit-taking and I assume some shorting as well. We will likely test $ 12.40/shr very soon and then you will know if it fails on that number and the RSI is at 80, we are going to backup here and refresh. No big deal but if you wanted to sell some Covered Calls or take profits, $ 12.40/shr is a logical spot in the short-term. I still see us heading for $ 13.50 to $ 14.00 in the weeks ahead so trade accordingly! What a great day for BBRY and us!

If you are thinking of buying have a long look at $ 11.50 -$ 11.60 as your first line of support.
    11-13-14 03:56 PM
    Question , why does BBRY need Samsung and knox ?
    They need to get all the way in to what is available. In reality nobody needs or wants Knox. For now it helps both but Knox is already fading away but BlackBerry is in.

I thought Samsung gave Knox away to Android?

Posted with my flash Passport
    11-13-14 03:58 PM
    Nicely done! Gave me goosebumps! Sorry if it was posted already.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 04:05 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbrycapture.png

Here is my thoughts on the weekly chart

- Inverted H&S completed back in July at 9.50ish + 5 for the pattern would make my target 14.5.

- Three attempts to short the stock highlighted via the black circles found support at the neckline and this indicates that these short player are now trapped in the trade and will need to cover. I believe they thought that the stock would resist the upper BBand and that would allow them to get out of the trade but now that we broke above it, they will need to cover.

This is my own opinion, so take it for what its worth. Long BBRY, Target 16 by Feb2015
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbrycapture.png  
    11-13-14 04:11 PM
    And now for a Fundamental breakdown of BBRY

The market values BBRY has a whole approx. 5.5B ; this is including cash, (which was around 3B) so for the whole company as a whole, around 2.5B - 3B .

For this 3B you get

- Patents on Hardware and Software
    - BES12
    - BBM and now BBM Meeting Services
    - WorkLife solutions
    - NOC
    - QNX in Automotive and Medical industries

Whats really the only thing missing? Home Industries. Stuff like your fridge, AC unit, TVs. Who is a leader in these devices? SAMSUNG. Remember Samsung just not only develops phones ya know.

I think the revenue that BBRY can generate for all these services down the road is well worth more that what Mr. Market thinks they are worth. Back in 2006 Blackberry fed off services via BIS. How much money did they make off all of those phones? Flashforward today, I believe that BBRY wants to generate service revenue from all those Galaxy phones, Samsung appliances, your BMWs or AUDI, or Mercedes, and your local hospitals.

But first things first, lets see if BBRY can post a few quarters in the black, without any cash bleeding..
    11-13-14 04:31 PM
    Hi guys,
    back from bed.

I have a special request for a gang buddy.
    His mom passed away and her funeral will be Saturday.
    He's far from home and I know he's reading this thread.

Would you mind liking this post as lighting candles to show support ?
    And if you believe, a little prayer ...

Thanks guys.

(please do not thank this, I'd feel very uncomfortable)
    11-13-14 04:58 PM
    System integrators : IBM in the list, spot #1 !!!
    take that Tim !
    The way I read the chart was IBM and others were target partners... but it looked like ACN may be further along a slip by bbry, since they were listed on the same chart as Samsung and others. Just a guess based on the presented charts.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    11-13-14 05:06 PM
    Yes!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141113_182641_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    11-13-14 05:28 PM
    My speculation on another possibility resulting from the Samsung partnership would be BBM coming pre-installed on all new Samsung phones.

It would make sense since BBM is required for BBM meetings and an important part of BES12.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1016 | Bell | via CB10
    Last edited by laketrout73; 11-13-14 at 07:15 PM.
    11-13-14 05:38 PM
    5.1 million EZ pass since end of Oct.....
    I thought John Chen said 5.1 million since inception, and vs 3.x million through October.
    slipstream89 likes this.
    11-13-14 05:43 PM
    Anyone want to take a guess at ER numbers? I'm going to say 8 million

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-13-14 05:46 PM
    I have to wonder whether the SAP/Samsung partnership announced a few days ago coupled with the Samsung/BlackBerry one announced today could lead to something down the road. They are about the same area, mobile enterprise.
    11-13-14 05:57 PM
    Well done, SF. Pretty classy.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    11-13-14 06:13 PM
    11-13-14 06:19 PM
    I see Samsung smart TVs in boardrooms connected to BES12 with no need for a computer to access the work network, share files and hold meetings, in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 06:20 PM
    BlackBerry CEO?s Message to CIOs: We Are ?Truly Cross Platform? - The CIO Report - WSJ

SAN FRANCISCO — BlackBerry Ltd. CEO John Chen wants CIOs to know that his company is serious about managing many different types of devices, including those of its biggest competitors.

To wit, the company Thursday said it has partnered with Samsung Electronics Co. to sell each other’s mobile-security technology. BlackBerry also announced BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12 (BES 12), mobile device management software and a platform for distributing mobile apps that is a key part of its plan to double revenue from software sales to $500 million in its next fiscal year. The idea is that BlackBerry enterprise platforms can help make a range of mobile devices more secure, including Apple Inc. iPhones and devices based on Google Inc. Android operating system.

“I want the CIO to take away that this is truly cross platform, it’s not an afterthought,” Mr. Chen told CIO Journal, following a company event here. BES 12 was built from the ground up to manage different devices, he said.

Remaining relevant to the enterprise through secure smartphone technology is a key element in BlackBerry’s makeover under Mr. Chen. But it hasn’t been easy. The company has faced the frustration of hearing customers say they’ve moved away from BES platforms to other mobile device management platforms because they want to use iPhones or Android devices. BlackBerry has supported Android and iOS devices since January 2013.

“You can still use iPhones, but use our server because our servers are more secure servers,” Mr. Chen told CIO Journal. He said BlackBerry would emphasize a subscription-based model – either monthly or yearly – and start to move away from perpetual licenses.

Over the last year, BlackBerry has built its enterprise sales force and has begun to push into government and regulated industries to sell its BES platforms and other products. BlackBerry is focusing on industries such as health care, finance, telecommunications as well as oil, gas and energy where security is paramount. To that end, BlackBerry is looking to a new partnership with Salesforce.com Inc. to tackle these markets, said Mr. Chen.

Salesforce.com has invested in a government cloud and plans to work with BlackBerry to give government workers secure access to that cloud, said former U.S. chief information officer Vivek Kundra, speaking at the event. Mr. Kundra is now executive vice president of the global public sector at Salesforce.com.

BlackBerry also unveiled several other new products geared at the enterprise including technology that lets employees log into corporate virtual private networks using smartphones instead of other security tokens.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    11-13-14 06:39 PM
    BlackBerry unveils new software, announces Samsung partnership - The Globe and Mail

Confirming its transformation from a smartphone-maker to a mobile software provider, BlackBerry Ltd. is teaming up with a company that, just a few months ago, was among its fiercest rivals.

At a media event in San Francisco on Thursday, BlackBerry announced it is partnering with Samsung Electronics Co. to bring its security standards to the handset maker’s smartphones. The deal was among an onslaught of new announcements all focused on the company’s goal of becoming the leading provider of smartphone management services, be those smartphones BlackBerrys, iPhones, Android devices or anything else.

“Today is a very serious day for me,” said BlackBerry CEO John Chen, who is celebrating his first anniversary as head of the company. “We’re not about phones this time – we’re about software.”

Shares of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company rose on the news, closing 7-per-cent higher on Thursday.

The Samsung announcement marks a sharp change of direction for BlackBerry, which only a few years ago was still trying desperately to claw back market share from Samsung in the consumer smartphone space.

Executives at both companies brought up the idea of a partnership only a few months ago, during a meeting at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona.

“We were like awkward teenagers at the school dance,” said John Sims, BlackBerry’s president of global enterprise services.

Indeed, the two companies had been direct competitors for years, as Samsung joined the ranks of manufacturers luring traditional BlackBerry users away from the once-dominant smartphone giant.

“I don’t know whether I want to wish Samsung success or not,” said Mr. Chen. “I’m a little conflicted.”

For Samsung, the partnership gives the company access to BlackBerry’s security infrastructure – and its reputation as the strongest of the major smartphone manufacturers. For BlackBerry, it opens up a huge and previously inaccessible new market.

“It allows BlackBerry to put its security solution with the handsets of the biggest Android phone manufacturer on the planet,” said technology analyst Carmi Levy. “They’re swimming in the ocean now.”

Like the Samsung partnership, a number of new BlackBerry announcements on Thursday focused squarely on enterprise security. A new service called Enterprise Identity allows IT departments to manage secure access to internal software and cloud-based services using a single piece of software.

In addition, the company also showed off a new meeting-organization tool based on the BlackBerry Messenger app.

But the new product most vital to the company’s continued survival is the mobility management service known as BlackBerry Enterprise Server 12 (BES 12). The service allows corporate IT departments to manage all manner of smartphones, including iPhones, Windows Phones and phones running on Google’s Android operating system.

Mr. Chen’s ability to achieve his previously stated goal to return BlackBerry to profitablity in 2015 will largely depend on how many enterprises are willing to make BES 12 their primary mobile management tool.

Since his appointment one year ago, Mr. Chen has expended considerable energy trying to convince businesses of the benefits of BlackBerry’s enterprise software. This summer, the CEO sent his employees a memo saying the company’s restructuring process – which had seen BlackBerry undergo several rounds of painful layoffs – was officially over. His claim has so far been bolstered by quarterly earnings that, while not spectacular, are a substantial improvement over the staggering losses the company had posted in recent years.

BlackBerry’s biggest corporate challenge is its declining service access fees – the per-user fees it charges carriers to access its network infrastructure. For years, access fees made up one of the most profitable slices of the BlackBerry corporate pie. But as fewer and fewer customers opt to purchase BlackBerry smartphones, and carriers have become less willing to pay, service-fee revenue has plummeted.

Mr. Chen admits the fees are probably never going to return to previous levels. As such, the company is trying to offset the loss with two major new revenue sources – software sales and monetization of the BlackBerry Messenger software.

In software, the company is offering a bevy of new tools and services, including security and phone management products. With BBM, BlackBerry hopes to make money by running ads on the service and equipping it with payment technology for use as a digital wallet.

BlackBerry expects to make about $500-million from software in the coming fiscal year, and about $100-million from BBM. But even if those estimates prove correct, they won’t fully offset the $800-million that the company expects to lose in service access fees during the same period.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    11-13-14 06:41 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd mobile security tie-up with Samsung Electronics Co ?tip of the iceberg,? John Chen says | Financial Post

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberry_ltd-samsung.jpg

Shares of BlackBerry Ltd. hit a 17-month high Thursday after it announced a flurry of new features and partnerships — including a tie-up with rival Samsung Electronics Co. on mobile security for Android-based devices — as the Waterloo, Ont.-based technology company launched its latest software offering aimed at capturing new enterprise customers.

BlackBerry chief executive John Chen called the latest version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Service technology, also known as BES 12, the “anchor to our software strategy,” as the firm refocuses its business on corporate clients with software and services rather than consumer devices.

“We have slipped a little bit in the past. We are going to use this opportunity, this set of products… to recapture that and we’re going to grow on that,” Mr. Chen said during the company’s enterprise event in San Francisco on Thursday. “That’s the basis of why we’re excited.”

The market responded to the BES 12 launch and its partnerships announcements, with shares in New York closing at US$12.06, up 7.01% — the highest since June 2013.

Brian Colello, equity analyst with Morningstar Securities in Chicago, said it was a successful BES 12 launch but it was the tie-up with Samsung that was “especially important” and “the bulk of why the event was so well received.”

This partnership and some BES 12 features show a push towards cross-platform services, which is key for BlackBerry to be a leader in enterprise software, he added, particularly as the trend of large organizations allowing employees to bring their own devices to work grows.

“A closer partnership with the world’s leading handset maker is certainly encouraging in terms of being able to promote BES 12 to enterprises,” Mr. Colello said.

The unlikely partnership comes after competitor Apple Inc. announced a pact with International Business Machines Corp. in July to work together on business services, sending BlackBerry’s stock down nearly 12% in a single day.

BlackBerry has already launched two smartphones this year, the Z3 and the phablet-sized Passport, and Mr. Chen confirmed its Classic device is set for a Dec. 17 launch.

BES 12 is crucial for BlackBerry’s future, as it looks to double annual revenue from software to $500-million by next fiscal year. This is part of an effort to compensate for the steep decline in high-margin services revenue BlackBerry enjoyed with its older devices.

“People didn’t expect to see these two companies on the same stage”

Unlike previous versions, BES 12 will allow large organizations to manage both older BlackBerry devices running BB 7 and BB 10 operating systems and smartphones running software by rivals Microsoft Corp., Google Inc., and Apple Inc.

BlackBerry said Thursday that carriers including Vodafone, Rogers Communications and SingTel will resell BES 12.

BlackBerry’s partnership with Samsung, which comes into force early next year, will provide a “highly secure” mobility solution for smartphones and tablets using Google’s Android operating system. It brings together BES 12 with Samsung KNOX, which is the South Korean company’s secure enterprise suite.

“People didn’t expect to see these two companies on the same stage, at least willingly … It’s a very serious relationship to bring this together, to give this choice to our customers,” said John Sims, BlackBerry’s president of global enterprise services, calling it the “tip of the iceberg.”

Mr. Chen joked on stage Thursday that he didn’t “know how to feel these days. I don’t know whether to wish Samsung success or not.”

BlackBerry also announced a partnership Thursday with cloud-computing company Salesforce.com Inc. to allow their joint clients in highly regulated industries to access data securely via their phones using the BES 12 platform.

Other features unveiled on Thursday included BBM Meetings, a mobile-first voice and video conferencing solution using BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) messaging service. BlackBerry is aiming to ramp up BBM revenue from what Mr. Chen has called “non-existent” to $100-million per year.

Although Mr. Chen started out the launch saying “we’re not about phones this time,” he announced that a red version of the Passport would be available on Black Friday. He also confirmed that the upcoming Classic smartphone will be launched on Dec. 17 in New York, Frankfurt and Singapore.

During its investor day later Thursday, Mr. Chen reiterated his goal of reaching breakeven cash-flow by the end of fiscal 2015, saying: “it’s not a 100% guarantee, but almost.”

“[Next year] we’re going to focus on growing not only the top line, we’re going to focus on growing the profit,” he said. “But you’ve got to give us a little bit of time to get there.”
    sidhuk, bungaboy, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    11-13-14 06:44 PM
    BlackBerry Vies To Be The Secure Enterprise Platform For All Smartphones, Inks Partnerships With Samsung And Salesforce - Forbes

In an attempt to fight market share loss, BlackBerry is vying to be the secure enterprise platform across all mobile operating systems.

At an event today in San Francisco, the Canadian phone maker rolled out more details on its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12 (BES12), its latest platform for how mobile devices connect securely that will work on rival mobile devices Apple iOS and Google Android.

With this announcement, BlackBerry revealed partnerships with Salesforce and Samsung.

“BES servers have more enterprise customers than the next three competitors combined,” said John Sims, BlackBerry’s president of global enterprise services, at the event. “Customers use and trust BES. They trust BlackBerry as a supplier. We want to increase the number of choices.”

BlackBerry integrates BES12 into Samsung’s Knox software for devices such as the Galaxy S4 and Note 4 tablet to make them more secure. Knox is Samsung’s own mobile security solution, but a security vulnerability was revealed recently. This software integration will be available early next year on Samsung devices. With better security, this could help Samsung better reach the enterprise market. Samsung has been working hard to get into this segment with other partnerships, including one with German enterprise software giant SAP . Apple is also hoping to grab a greater share of enterprise customers with its IBM partnership announced in July.

The partnership with Salesforce is focusing on more regulated industries, such as healthcare and the public sector, where sensitive documents need to be managed securely. The partnership will let users access this sensitive data on Salesforce software securely on BlackBerry’s platform.

“There’s this massive investment in the public sector and healthcare that recognizes customers are on mobile platforms,” said Vivek Kundra, the executive vice president of global public sector at Salesforce, at the event. “When it comes to managing large enterprises, you have to be platform agnostic.”

BlackBerry’s global market share has declined to a small fraction of the overall smartphone market in recent years–2.4 percent, according to Strategy Analytics for smartphone unit sale data in the second quarter of this year. Similarly, revenue is continuing to fall. Its second quarter saw revenue decline to $916 million from $1.57 billion over last year.

But BlackBerry CEO John Chen was feeling good about the future direction of the company and had a message for competitors.

“I recall a year ago when I first started I was watching CNBC and one of our competitors was making fun of us,” said Chen. “My advice to competitors is that we are not only a point product company, we are an EMM [Enterprise Mobility Management] solution, very broad and very deep. They need to understand that. They need to work for a living rather than make fun of us.”

BlackBerry is also planning how its security management platform could be applied in areas outside of smartphones and into the whole nebulous “Internet of Things” space, though it’s not ready to talk about concrete plans around that today.

Although the actual making of phones is being less emphasized in Chen’s vision for the new BlackBerry, the company came out with the Passport, an chunky smartphone with a square-shaped display, in September.

BlackBerry shares are up nearly 9 percent.
    11-13-14 06:46 PM
    11-13-14 06:47 PM
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...security/?_r=0

The rapid rise of Android-based smartphones was a prominent factor in BlackBerry’s profound decline. Now BlackBerry is counting on some Android phones to ensure its future.

BlackBerry announced on Thursday that Samsung would use server and phone management software as well as BlackBerry’s unique global network to improve security for Android phones and tablets aimed at government users.

There is such historic animosity between BlackBerry and Samsung that while making the announcement at an event in San Francisco, John Sims, the president of BlackBerry’s corporate and government services unit, joked about the improbability of executives from both companies sharing a stage, a sentiment echoed by Greg Wade, a vice president of Samsung.

BlackBerry has boasted that its network and software, as well as special hardware within its phones, provide a level of security for corporate and government users that its competitors cannot match. Opening up some of those components to Samsung, which last year challenged BlackBerry with a security service known as Knox, may now erode some of BlackBerry’s handset sales advantage.

But Jan Dawson, the principal of Jackdaw Research, said the move by BlackBerry was unavoidable and would be positive for the company.

“This isn’t a concession of defeat as much as it’s a concession to reality – most people aren’t going to choose BlackBerry devices and so BlackBerry needs to find a way to make its management solutions relevant beyond its own devices,” Mr. Dawson wrote in an email from the BlackBerry presentation. “BlackBerry’s handset business is a tiny fraction of what it once was, and that’s not going to change whatever happens.”

John S. Chen, who became BlackBerry’s chief executive about a year ago, has said that he planned to shift the company’s focus to software and service. At Thursday’s session, he repeated a promised to double BlackBerry’s annual software revenue of $250 million by next year.

Samsung will use a new form of BlackBerry’s software, BlackBerry Enterprise Server 12, which was also introduced on Thursday. Mr. Chen acknowledged that the previous version of the company’s management software “disrupted the flow of our business” with corporate and government customers. The new version adds additional security features and will allow users to control and management wireless communications with devices well beyond phones like medical equipment. It will work with iPhones, Android phones, like the previous software, and add older BlackBerrys and Microsoft Windows Phone 8. Subscription fees for the software, ranging from $19 to $60 a year for each user, will be crucial to Mr. Chen’s ambitious sales goal.

Mr. Dawson said that the deal with BlackBerry will not provide Samsung’s Knox with all of the Canadian company’s security features, adding: “I’m sure BlackBerry would still argue that its own devices are the most secure.”

Looking back on his first year at BlackBerry, Mr. Chen recalled that he once “unwisely” told a reporter that his wife used a Samsung Android phone.

“Now I feel somewhat redeemed,” he said.
    11-13-14 07:01 PM
    OT: Toronto Maple Leafs hire a new coach.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140516_102728_edit.jpeg
    11-13-14 07:49 PM
    OT: Toronto Maple Leafs hire a new coach.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140516_102728_edit.jpeg 
Views:	1842 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	314215
    OT: LOL

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-13-14 08:09 PM
    I see Samsung smart TVs in boardrooms connected to BES12 with no need for a computer to access the work network, share files and hold meetings, in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung TVS running full blown bbm

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:21 PM
113,251 ... 29722973297429752976 ...