View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This is the type of headline one gets with shoddy superficial reporting. Are we surprised?
    Apple top in secure messaging tests

Anxious for BB to come up with a Fact Check.
    Fact check is great, but does nothing if not written and posted as article. Needs to be "in the news" to really counter act p+$$ poor articles like that one.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    11-06-14 01:29 PM
    Fact check is great, but does nothing if not written and posted as article. Needs to be "in the news" to really counter act p+$$ poor articles like that one.

Posted via CB10
    Just paraphrase/review the BBFactCheck in an article on Seeking Alpha. Media outlets are always picking up unsubstantiated rumors from that. Plus, you make a couple dollars.
    11-06-14 02:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    But, can the 'fact check' refute what the article says? Is there anything in the article about BBM that isn't true? As far as I know, they are correct in stating that BBM (for the regular consumer anyway) isn't totally private or secure...the police are given access to BBM communication whenever they like...what would BlackBerry actually be correcting?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 03:17 PM
    But, can the 'fact check' refute what the article says? Is there anything in the article about BBM that isn't true? As far as I know, they are correct in stating that BBM (for the regular consumer anyway) isn't totally private or secure...the police are given access to BBM communication whenever they like...what would BlackBerry actually be correcting?

Posted via CB10
    The article says that:
    "Of the apps tested, the EFF specifically highlighted weaknesses in AIM; BlackBerry Messenger; Facebook Messenger ad WhatsApp; Google Chat and Hangouts Skype; Secret; SnapChat and Yahoo Messenger. None of them provide end-to-end encryption of messages sent meaning that they are no more secure than basic email."

But BBM actually is:
    "BBM the most secure mobile messaging app yet. Using a PIN-to-PIN messaging system, BBM messages are encrypted during transmission: messages are encrypted using a key that identifies the sender, goes through a firewall before hitting the server, and then can only be decrypted by the private key from whom the message is intended."
    11-06-14 03:57 PM
    Did the BlackBerry COO call the federal technology chief snarky? Yes, yes he did. - Washington Business Journal

The majority of a Thursday keynote by Marty Beard, BlackBerry's chief operating officer, was about mobile security. But far more entertaining was how he greeted the audience at the FedTalks conference in D.C.

"Yes — BlackBerry," he said after his introduction by Goldy Kamali, CEO of FedScoop, which hosted the event. "Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

Beard is actually of the new crop of leadership at the Canadian mobile device company, which has spent the last year rightsizing, stabilizing cash flow and ensuring the company's survival.

Some facts he shared: BlackBerry reported more than $3 billion in cash last quarter, the first quarter in many where the company increased its cash balance. BlackBerry did $920 million in revenue during that same period, and it took out $2 billion in operating expenses in the last year.

"BlackBerry is in the midst of a huge restart," said Beard, who was appointed COO in July. "This is starting to take hold. We have a new CEO, new management team. … We're very much alive."

Of course, one of BlackBerry's key markets is federal government, thanks to its reputation for security, which Beard described as the gold standard in the industry. The penetration among agencies has contributed to the fact BlackBerry's share of the Washington-area smartphone market is one of its largest in the U.S., even if it remains a pretty small number (4 percent in April, compared to a record-low 2.7 percent nationwide, according to Reston-based comStore Inc.).

But that market dominance has also served as a detriment as the company tries to rid itself of an old-school reputation. That fact was reinforced by Megan Smith, the new federal chief technology officer and former Google executive. When asked by the New York Times whether she's come across anything "particularly retrograde" since becoming a fed, here's what she said:

"My son saw me with my BlackBerry, and he was like, 'Hi, '90s mom.'"

Ouch.

So what did Beard think of that?

"The new CTO, Megan Smith made a snarky comment," he acknowledged. "We're going to have to update her [on company changes] as well."
    11-06-14 04:00 PM
    OT but kindly allow me...
    Comment: Why Apple iPhones are for the simple-minded | The National

It is with some resentment that I write this opinion piece. The editors asked for a follow-up to the recent blog I posted about the iPhone 6 after some readers wrote in to express their dismay at being labelled “simple-minded sheep”.

I had anticipated a backlash. Criticising or poking fun at Apple is akin to poking a sleeping bear with a dagger – it unleashes a level of fury that most would display only to protect their offspring, not a gadget.

Many demanded an apology, others said they would boycott The National. One man requested I never write about technology again.

The offended parties were all men; none of the complainants were women. Are certain men just more sensitive when it comes to technology? Do they lack humour? Or do they simply have too much time on their hands? Or perhaps the men who came forward proved perfectly the point I was making – unable to comprehend the concept of an opinion piece. Because that’s what it was – my own opinion, not a social experiment theorised in a science journal.

I am proud that The National provides a platform for its journalists to air their views. Instances of honesty should be welcomed, not rejected and replaced with an apology.

Just like a controversial piece of art, not every op-ed or blog is intended to please its audience (yes, I did just compare my blog to a piece of art). But to be so offended by an opinion centred on a device? Really? Take a step back and readdress the priorities in your life. You have allowed material possessions to define your being.

Go for a walk, experience nature, perhaps a bit of spirituality. Then ask yourself why you want the latest iPhone.

Apple’s iPhones are handsome devices, with a beautiful user interface and some impressive features. But what they have in looks they lack in technological prowess, resulting in a mediocre experience and a horribly fugacious battery life.

The Copenhagen-based research firm Strand Consult has likened Apple obsession to Stockholm Syndrome. The iPhone, the firm says, “has had a number of technological shortcomings that many iPhone users have accepted and defended, despite those shortcomings resulting in limitations in iPhone users’ daily lives ... In reality the iPhone is surrounded by a multitude of people, media and companies that are happy to bend the truth to defend the product they have purchased from Apple”.

There are a host of devices that provide a better and more imaginative experience. The BlackBerry Passport is the best for work, typing and battery life. Sony’s Xperia Z3 has the best camera. LG’s G3 has the best screen to watch movies on. Samsung’s Note 4 provides the best work/play combo and the HTC One (M8) – well, that’s just a thing of beauty.

If you enjoy the Apple experience and can’t be bothered to experiment and transfer to a different operating system, fair enough. Life can be a hassle; sometimes it’s best to just keep things simple. I get it.

Some, however, will just opt for what seems to be the most common option. And these are the customers that Apple thrives on, because the company listens to its customers only when things go wrong – Bendgate for example, or when they convert iPhones to iPods.

Unlike other companies, Apple does not bother with focus groups. This strategy may have worked when Steve Jobs (a man who was a genius at perfecting existing technologies) was heading up the company, but who is Tim Cook to tell you that you have no idea what you want?

It is arrogant for a company to ignore the wants and desires of its users. It’s like going to a restaurant where they serve you grilled lamb chops because that’s what the chef insists you want. What if you only wanted a salad?

But this is a strategy that Apple fanatics have favoured, the ones who breathe in the company’s slick marketing and actually believe it all. At a press conference in Dubai in September, Apple’s former chief executive John Sculley described Apple as being “as much a cult as it is a company”
    Very well said.
    11-06-14 04:05 PM
    In the past week I've received 2 emails that have "Sent from my Blackberry 10 smartphone" as the signature and I get a little too excited. I almost want to respond from my Q10 even though I'm sitting at my desk just so they can see my email signature say the same. It's like a cult.

One was from a US postal worker and the other was a Canadian private equity firm we've been doing business with.
    Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    11-06-14 04:08 PM
    11-06-14 04:18 PM
    https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan � 4 hours ago
    Nobody can ever convince me they prefer touch-typing to a keyboard. Like saying you prefer Liebfraumilch to Latour. @BlackBerry #Passport

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan � 4 hours ago
    Been using my @Blackberry #Passport for 2 weeks - best smartphone I've ever had. (No, they don't pay me to say that...)
    11-06-14 04:26 PM
    11-06-14 04:42 PM
    We have an ecosystem of 40,000 app developers in India who are trained and certified and roll out application on BB10 platform.

Read more at:
    Our security DNA positions us very strongly in the IoT space: Sunil Lalvani, MD, BlackBerry India - The Economic Times

Q: When is the BlackBerry Enterprise Solution (BES) 12 coming to India?

A: The Mobile Device Management or MDM solutions deployment is in the nascent stage in India, thus the opportunity is pretty huge. BlackBerry has 45 independent security third-party certifications, maximum among all MDM players.

Read more at:
    Our security DNA positions us very strongly in the IoT space: Sunil Lalvani, MD, BlackBerry India - The Economic Times
    There was mention of Project IoN launching soon.
    11-06-14 04:50 PM

[video]http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=483024[/url]
    LMAO ... favourite thing about Canada "Cold" really?! This is just as lame as the last CEO.
    11-06-14 04:56 PM
    Funny ... Android manufacturers - their not vendors per sey - have already attempted to do this several times over the years during Android 2.2-3.x
    Motorola has over 6 attempts using Android with physical keyboards, several times beating BBOS screen sizes or resolution ... they've NOT made any real success! Their very last slider based Droid - XT4 did not sell well at all (I personally liked the design).

All Android manufacturers for the most part have abandoned this endeavor because they simply understand their sales targets for profit and their end users target/mass markets don't want Android on physical keyboards - there is no value because the OS doesn't not support phsyical keyboard shortcuts.
    Shanerredflag and rarsen like this.
    11-06-14 05:04 PM
    Thu Nov 06th, 2014
    Michael Brown, Vice President of Security Product Management, BlackBerry

The Defense Department is upgrading its military networks to increase its access to different types mobile technology. But many security experts say the gold standard for smartphones is still the Blackberry. Michael Brown is vice president of security product management and research for BlackBerry. On In Depth with Francis Rose, he explained the importance of mobile security for federal agencies.

Michael Brown, Vice President of Security Product Management, BlackBerry - FederalNewsRadio.com
    Soumaila Somtore, rarsen and Corbu like this.
    11-06-14 06:01 PM
    The Copenhagen-based research firm Strand Consult has likened Apple obsession to Stockholm Syndrome. The iPhone, the firm says, “has had a number of technological shortcomings that many iPhone users have accepted and defended, despite those shortcomings resulting in limitations in iPhone users’ daily lives ... In reality the iPhone is surrounded by a multitude of people, media and companies that are happy to bend the truth to defend the product they have purchased from Apple”.
    11-06-14 06:04 PM
    For those who want to read through the reference, from Strand Consult:
    How will psychologists describe the iPhone syndrome in the future?
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    11-06-14 06:18 PM
    Got my work issued Passport today. Don't hate me
    Attachment 312390

Posted via CB10
    I don't hate you just want to know where you work and are the hiring

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-06-14 06:25 PM
    OT: Microsoft makes core Office document features free on iPad

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//tech...rticle21476004
    Last edited by bungaboy; 11-06-14 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    rarsen likes this.
    11-06-14 06:41 PM
    OT: Sierra Wireless (SWIR) had a huge pop after they beat earnings. What are they doing that BlackBerry can pick up on to better take advantage of IOT? With all of BlackBerry's talk of IOT, it's still not clear to me how they want to monetize it in the future. Apparently SW has got it figured out. I'd really like to see some kind of mutually beneficial relationship between the two.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-06-14 07:25 PM
    OT: Microsoft makes core Office document features free on iPad

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//tech...s-free-on-ipad
    Did they pull it? Link says that page doesn't exist

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 07:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft Corp. on Thursday said users of its Office suite of applications on Apple Inc.’s iPad would be able to create and edit documents for free instead of paying for a subscription, in a bid to capture more mobile users.

The move is the latest, and one of the most dramatic, in Microsoft’s new strategy of getting customers to use their services regardless of device or operating system, rather than lose them to a proliferation of free or cheap alternatives.

Microsoft makes core Office document features free on iPad

Seattle — Reuters

Published Thursday, Nov. 06 2014, 10:25 AM EST

Last updated Thursday, Nov. 06 2014, 10:25 AM EST

Globe and Mail Update Apr. 08 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
    Video: Microsoft is finally trying to be cool

The new strategy, led by new Chief Executive Satya Nadella, is a recognition that the dominance of Windows and Office on PCs has not translated to the fast-growing mobile arena, where Apple’s phones and tablets and devices running Google Inc’s Android rule.

Nadella’s first major move after taking the helm in February was to make Office available on the iPad, which has attracted 40 million users.

By downloading a free app, users could read Office documents in Word, Excel and PowerPoint but had to buy a subscription, starting at $7 per month, to create or edit them. From Thursday, that will now be free.

Microsoft also announced on Thursday it is releasing Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps for the iPhone for the first time, and rolling out a test version of those apps for Android tablets, which are expected to be released fully early next year.

The world’s largest software company still has not released fully touch-optimized Office apps for Windows, but hinted on Thursday that they would be released with Windows 10 sometime next year.

Microsoft’s Office suite is still the gold standard for work applications on the PC, but easy to use, touch-friendly work apps like Haiku Deck, Quip, Smartsheet and Evernote, plus a full range of Google Apps, have quickly gained a following among younger users who regularly create and consume content on mobile devices.

On Thursday, business networking site LinkedIn Corp. said it would integrate Haiku Deck – a free alternative to Microsoft’s PowerPoint – into its SlideShare platform, where 70 million users create and share presentations.
    11-06-14 07:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I fixed link.

Microsoft makes core Office document features free on iPad - The Globe and Mail
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-06-14 07:33 PM
    Benzinga once again...

For the record since we all know what this is worth.

The following are the M&A deals, rumors and chatter circulating on Wall Street for Thursday November 6, 2014:

Lenovo Once Again Mentioned as BlackBerry Suitor

The Rumor:
    Shares of BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY) spiked higher Thursday on renewed chatter of a potential bid from Lenovo Group Limited (OTC: LNVGY). Benzinga reported on October 18, that Lenovo could offer $15.00 to $18.00 for the smartphone maker.

A source familiar with the matter, told Benzinga on Thursday it was unlikely BlackBerry would consider a sale for less than $20 per share.

BlackBerry closed Thursday at $10.27, a gain of more than 1%.
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    11-06-14 08:00 PM
    OT: P.E.I. entrepreneur scores $500K Dragons’ Den deal

"But Cox said he is already seeing benefits from the deal on the show.

“My Blackberry has just been smoking,” he said."

P.E.I. entrepreneur scores $500K Dragons? Den deal - - CBC News
    cjcampbell, 3_M4N, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    11-06-14 08:01 PM
    Thu Nov 06th, 2014
    Michael Brown, Vice President of Security Product Management, BlackBerry

The Defense Department is upgrading its military networks to increase its access to different types mobile technology. But many security experts say the gold standard for smartphones is still the Blackberry. Michael Brown is vice president of security product management and research for BlackBerry. On In Depth with Francis Rose, he explained the importance of mobile security for federal agencies.

Michael Brown, Vice President of Security Product Management, BlackBerry - FederalNewsRadio.com
    ^ Related to this .... although seemingly to some as off topic ...

I think the Z30 successor should at the very least in water resistance and battery size should emulate or beat the 3900mAh of the newly announced Motorola Droid MAXX/Verizon Droid 2014. This thing has balistic nylon!

IN another venture I really think BlackBerry needs to consider other corporate markets:
    Mining - Build a seriously large screen rugged device for users that need technology with connectivity that extends behind the firewall data, tools, and interfaces to the BB device in unique corporate focused apps (this IS part of their main focus for developers are well lately).

BlackBerry can not only have unique market sales for ruggerdized smartphones - IP67+ for Dust and Water Resistance beyond 30meters or equivalent but exceed where the Passport (it IS a damn rugged device to begin with) for Mining and Manufacturing Plant industries, Shipping and Receiving ... most like UPS STILL have yet to move from older PocketPC based devices ... when they do and it maybe soon - may jumpt to Android ... it's a large potential market.

BlackBerry can also extend a new service to work with their customers - for a price of course $$=caching! - to have uniquely developed applications to further extend their needs of access to data, manipulate/access/securely-share (within/outside with limited data references) corporate data - limiting by department, access groups etc.
    - Example in the Financial Industry ... other than using Docs2Go and similar office suite apps (through huge 10mins of loading patience on 10.3.1 on Z30 to get OneNote apk to load and sign in and be useful), Bloomberg/BloombergAnywhere, Reuters/ReutersEikon are pretty much the only apps for this industry on BB10. Have a look at what's publicly available and usually is far and beyond what is privately available.

The promise of corporate sign-ons for paying for BES10/12 services and licences after this January 2015 is great ... but BlackBerry .... let's extend this ... work with your clients listen to their needs in follow-up meetings ... inquire what they need or looking for from BlackBerry, BB10, and BES ... more importantly to those that support the BYOD model what is it their management an users find important and a must have from their competitor devices?! And don't just take "APPS" as an answer ... ask them what apps do they use/request/recommend and how does it benefit their business, end user efficient, end user productivity and department productivity. IF their low on which apps DO this ... don't bother their just increasing their spend month to month and when hard times hit that company .... you'll see them knocking on your door to reduce costs ... charge them for sound advice and work with them to provide the apps that they want ... uniquely code but keep licensing ownership of the CODE, the base code to speed up other coding efforts for other clients.
    11-06-14 09:00 PM
113,250 ... 29542955295629572958 ...