View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Too bad the new BBM features will be paid ones. I highly doubt it will help BBM gain 'market-share'.. There are apps/companies offering the same services for free: the casual user won't pay. And the businessman neither.
    Bad move IMHO.
    I don't think it's a bad move as the "move" has yet to be made.

The general consumer is completely oblivious to the fact that these new features "may" become paid features, for now it's just a nice to have feature, when the final bundle is available and worth charging for we shall see, but at the moment any speculation is premature over two features to call it a bad move.

I'd be willing to bet BlackBerry has yet to decide how to truly monetize BBM, it's anyone's guess really.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:25 AM
    My bad! I did not dig too much into the news and was not fully aware about the 'bbm bundle' ;-) Looking forward the complete package/bundle to be released!
    11-02-14 08:41 AM
    My bad! I did not dig too much into the news and was not fully aware about the 'bbm bundle' ;-) Looking forward the complete package/bundle to be released!
    No worries. That's the joy of the forums and internet. People tend to run with a small piece of the puzzle. One example of an added feature to be added on November 13th, is BBM Meetings. What exactly this will be, and how it will be implemented, I'm not quite sure, but I'm definitely looking forward to finding out.
    11-02-14 08:49 AM
    Are there companies offering secure voice and or video group conferencing for free?

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    Secure and private, probably not, but free, yeah.... there are a couple that come to mind.
    11-02-14 08:51 AM
    I would really like their BES on the cloud service coupled with an exchange server for email. Been looking to declaw google from my life and my Google apps account is the last thing standing. I would gladly pay some monthly or yearly fee for this.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:34 AM
    11-02-14 04:22 PM
    11-02-14 04:35 PM
    The idea with BBM, as with much of BlackBerry, is not to chase the consumer market.

Make yourself different that is how you are able to charge money.

If the features of BBM are essential for businesses, they will pay for it.

Having 500 million users means nothing to BlackBerry at the moment. They need to start to turn a profit. Look at whatsapp 600 + million users and they turnover 15 mil.

The minute they start to charge or advertise heavily, people will simply move to a new platform which is free (and there are many out there).

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    11-02-14 05:24 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Amazon.in Passport availability... let's see how long before they sell out!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 05:39 PM
    Amazon.in Passport availability... let's see how long before they sell out!

Posted via CB10
    LoL. They are still sleeping. Too early

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    11-02-14 05:50 PM
    I am waiting for White Passport. In the meanwhile, I am dying to get Blend working on my Q10!!!

Now that I know Blend exists, I miss it even more. Like, I'd be at work and my Q10's red LED light would start to blink. I look at it, it's a BBM from a friend and start of a conversation. Now.. in that momement.. I miss Blend like hell! I want to be able to continue working on my computer and reply from my computer. Having to pick-up phone to reply to BBM then context switch back to keyboard fees just awkward.

This is my state even without having used Blend EVER. I imagine, once I start to use Blend, I'd be like - how did I ever live without it?

Hopefully so would be the case for most BB users -- good for us shareholders
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    11-02-14 06:36 PM
    The idea with BBM, as with much of BlackBerry, is not to chase the consumer market.

Make yourself different that is how you are able to charge money.

If the features of BBM are essential for businesses, they will pay for it.

Having 500 million users means nothing to BlackBerry at the moment. They need to start to turn a profit. Look at whatsapp 600 + million users and they turnover 15 mil.

The minute they start to charge or advertise heavily, people will simply move to a new platform which is free (and there are many out there).

Posted via CB10
    I think BlackBerry's strategy is to keep BBM free but add a PRO/Enterprise version that "companies" would pay for so that their employees could use it. I imagine pro-features would include something like:
    1. Encrypted messages (aka BBM protected) but audit-able by the enterprise - I think they demo-ed that in one of BlackBerry Experience Forum event I had attended.
    2. Group meetings voice/video
    3. Other experimental features to see what sticks. Some features might start as part of paid-PRO pack but then become part of FREE BBM later, if they see they can gain far more users by keeping that feature free versus incremental revenue they might get by making it part of paid-pack.

So, in this case:
    they may experiment with making Message-retraction + Timed Messages features part of paid PRO pack but I think it'd eventually become part of free BBM pack. I think, in face of Snapchat etc, they'd realize that they can't really charge for this feature. But they may experiment nonetheless.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    11-02-14 06:43 PM
    I am waiting for White Passport. In the meanwhile, I am dying to get Blend working on my Q10!!!

Now that I know Blend exists, I miss it even more. Like, I'd be at work and my Q10's red LED light would start to blink. I look at it, it's a BBM from a friend and start of a conversation. Now.. in that momement.. I miss Blend like hell! I want to be able to continue working on my computer and reply from my computer. Having to pick-up phone to reply to BBM then context switch back to keyboard fees just awkward.

This is my state even without having used Blend EVER. I imagine, once I start to use Blend, I'd be like - how did I ever live without it?

Hopefully so would be the case for most BB users -- good for us shareholders
    Wait until other developers get access to the api to also take advantage.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-03-14 05:48 AM
    11-03-14 09:35 AM
    BNN - Watch TV Online | John Chen interview: Part One

John Chen speaks with BNN's Amber Kanwar on how he came to lead BlackBerry, addresses take over rumours, and talks pricing, valuations, and next year's revenue.

Mr BBRY, jxnb, La Emperor and 16 others like this.
    11-03-14 09:38 AM
    BNN - Watch TV Online | John Chen interview: Part Two

Part two of Amber Kanwar's talk with BlackBerry CEO, John Chen, who talks outlook for new products, and new industrial clients.

Edit: It appears this content is no longer available. I suspect it will be back in a few minutes... Will check back later.
    Last edited by Corbu; 11-03-14 at 10:27 AM.
    Mr BBRY, jxnb, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    11-03-14 09:40 AM
    Michael Kane ? Interesting endorsement for BlackBerry - BNN Blog

There are political discussions going on in Germany that have strong implications for BlackBerry. A draft law, still being debated, envisions new requirements for companies that do business with the German government. You may recall BlackBerry bought a German company called Secusmart, which is developing state-of-the-art encryption technology - a move that convinced German Chancellor Angela Merkel to endorse the BlackBerry as the "only brand" that meets the German government's security needs. The transaction came after Chancellor Merkel's previous cellphone was hacked. This proposed legislation may require companies to reveal source code or other proprietary information if they sell technology to the government or to private companies the German government feels are important to the country's security.
    11-03-14 10:24 AM
    11-03-14 10:25 AM
    QNX news, Microsoft pulling out and help adoption of Linux systems as per analyst.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...r-of-attention
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    11-03-14 11:20 AM
    11-03-14 11:31 AM
    11-03-14 01:19 PM
    Had no time besides work after this lazy but - oh, my ! - great week ...
    Yet, is that $10.4 I see on Nasdaq ?
    Seems we still go pretty well !

Cheers Gang,
    I'll have so many posts to read ... but always a great read !
    SF
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    11-03-14 01:20 PM
    QNX news, Microsoft pulling out and help adoption of Linux systems as per analyst.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...r-of-attention
    A two year old blog on QNX'S website about this. The only thing that's really changed in the world is that Tesla is using Linux. Don't know if any other OEM is getting envious or grass is greener syndrome.

http://qnxauto.blogspot.com/2012/11/...thats.html?m=1
    rarsen likes this.
    11-03-14 01:29 PM
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Four things you didn?t know about John Chen

What’s John Chen’s favourite book? Who is his most admired business leader? And who would make a better spokesman for Blackberry: reality TV star Kim Kardashian or U.S. national security whistleblower Edward Snowden? BNN’s Amber Kanwar learns some surprising things from Blackberry’s CEO.

Funny thing is BNN still hasn't put that second part of the interview back up. Will keep on it.
    11-03-14 01:51 PM
    So is it just me, or did JC just postpone his initial target of the reverse in service revenue decline by about 2-3 quarters?
    11-03-14 02:57 PM
113,256 ... 29482949295029512952 ...