Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    10-25-14 06:21 PM
    10-25-14 06:24 PM
    It's one thing to talk about patience. It's another to talk about becoming emotionally involved in an investment and then holding onto it (or even doubling down) because you just can't let it go. The brain has an incredible power to rationalize things we are emotionally invested in.

This thread is 3 years old now? How much would $10,000 invested in BBRY at the first post in this thread be worth today? Maybe half or so?

How much would that same $10k be worth if invested in an index fund over the same 3 years?

For comparison if you bought $10k worth of AAPL on the day this thread was started, you'd about $18k today.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    what makes you think that people in this thread only invest in blackberry?
    what makes you think that people in this thread never swing trade in blackberry?
    what makes you think that people in this thread do not trade your beloved apple?
    why does this thread bother you?
    what makes you think that could have, should have etc. you can predict better than any one else?
    where were you 12 years ago when people thought that apple could never do anything right?
    10-25-14 06:31 PM
    It's one thing to talk about patience. It's another to talk about becoming emotionally involved in an investment and then holding onto it (or even doubling down) because you just can't let it go. The brain has an incredible power to rationalize things we are emotionally invested in.

This thread is 3 years old now? How much would $10,000 invested in BBRY at the first post in this thread be worth today? Maybe half or so?

How much would that same $10k be worth if invested in an index fund over the same 3 years?

For comparison if you bought $10k worth of AAPL on the day this thread was started, you'd about $18k today.

Sorry, are you serious? Let's say you bought five thousand shares of BlackBerry in the eights almost three years ago, and let's presume you sold half to protect your profits almost two years ago, you got your entire investment back and are holding 2500 free shares.

Point is, way to many variables...just sayin.

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 10-25-14 at 07:29 PM.
    10-25-14 06:33 PM
    They seem friendly at first . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-baboons-004.jpg
    10-25-14 06:36 PM
    Perhaps a reminder of title..."I support BlackBerry", the "I buy shares" bit doesn't mean one must be a blind goat and watch your retirement funds disappear?
    I like the brand, like how it's an underdog at this point (even though it's heads and shoulders above Apple as a business tool) and bluntly...I'm a fan. It's fun to cheer for your team.

App Dev, you love your Passport, admit it

10-25-14 06:49 PM

App Dev, you love your Passport, admit it
    I actually do like it a lot. Just not convinced that it makes the company worth more than $10/share.

I can understand how people wish that BBRY will be worth more than this in the future. But this is just a wish, and has been since I started reading this thread the day it started.

It's an emotional investment, I get it. I'm just saying that's what it is, not some brilliant investment choice backed by objective research. The thread title says that clearly. I would hope no one has forgotten that.

Last edited by app_Developer; 10-25-14 at 07:26 PM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-25-14 07:00 PM
    I actually do like it a lot.

It's an emotional investment, I get it. I'm just saying that's what it is, not some brilliant investment choice. The thread title says that clearly.

Perhaps it is, perhaps it's not but , some have rolled 2.5+% per month selling covered calls and supported BlackBerry all the while playing the swings...nothing wishful about that sir.

10-25-14 07:09 PM
    Perhaps it is, perhaps it's not but , some have rolled 2.5+% per month selling covered calls and supported BlackBerry all the while playing the swings...nothing wishful about that sir.

Bingo! No one is buying high, and selling low. Then you would contribute to BlackBerry's value. But you'd be crazy. If I had money in the game, I'd do the same.

Oh the irony

I smell a Spanish cow
    10-25-14 07:33 PM
    Bingo! No one is buying high, and selling low. Then you would contribute to BlackBerry's value. But you'd be crazy. If I had money in the game, I'd do the same.

Oh the irony

I smell a Spanish cow
    Hey, while you're here and it's OT...could use that chili recipe again if you have time.

10-25-14 07:41 PM
    A little fill up the servers OT:

bungaboy, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    10-25-14 07:49 PM
    Hey, while you're here and it's OT...could use that chili recipe again if you have time.

Dagnabit! I thought I was on point for once.

2 Cans stewed diced tomatoes w/green peppers, celery and onions, or 1" hunks of 8 Roma tomatoes, 1 bundle of bok choy sliced, 3 shallot chopped, 3 pablano pepper sliced
    2 Cans black beans‬‪ or I small bag cooked
    1 Can red beans‬‪ or half a small bag cooked
    1.5lbs. stew meat or steak* cut into approximately 1/2" chunks
    1 normal sized jar pasta sauce w/mushrooms unless your fungus averse
    2*Packets of chili flavoring, I like Tex-Mex
    2 Tablespoons chili powder or to taste.
    1/4 cup dark mole a$$es, the dark ones taste best

Drain and rinse 1 can of red beans and 1 can of black beans.*Set aside. Just drain, don't rinse 1 can of black beans. Using a potato masher or any other useful device, squish the unrinsed can of black beans into a paste in a crock pot of at least 3 qts.‬‪*‬‪ Add the rest of the ingredients except the tomatoes and mix thoroughly.*Cover and cook on high for about one hour, make sure it reaches a boil. Reduce to low, add the tomatoes and stir again. Continue to cook for another 8 hours or so. Eat, fridge, freeze or share with friends.

*No Spanish cow allowed in the chili
    10-25-14 08:19 PM
    Thanks much.

Best chilli ever!!!

10-25-14 08:23 PM
    Thanks much.

Best chilli ever!!!

Thanks bud! Actually whipped up a batch when I picked up a new crock pot few weeks ago.

10-25-14 08:39 PM
    The Telus promo in Canada with BestBuy and FutureShop:

Sold out #1
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141025_220419.png

Sold out #2
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141025_220401.png

Damn that was quick.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:10 PM
    The Telus promo in Canada with BestBuy and FutureShop:

Sold out #1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_220419.png 
Views:	1315 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	309420

Sold out #2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_220401.png 
Views:	1318 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	309421

Damn that was quick.

Posted via CB10
    So nice to see this .

Can only imagine the wait for the white one

bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    10-25-14 10:09 PM
    10-26-14 07:57 AM
    I actually do like it a lot. Just not convinced that it makes the company worth more than $10/share.

I can understand how people wish that BBRY will be worth more than this in the future. But this is just a wish, and has been since I started reading this thread the day it started.

It's an emotional investment, I get it. I'm just saying that's what it is, not some brilliant investment choice backed by objective research. The thread title says that clearly. I would hope no one has forgotten that.

Yes. (edited)
    When we started this thread, it was clearly a non rational, irritated and almost middle finger to shorts. Yes it was, for me at lesat.
    Now, as it was (re read OP) stated, it has nothing to do with day trading or managing an investment portfolio.
    It was a 'faith testimony' at a time when most - let's be honest: all - predicted BlackBerry was dead as soon as next week.
    Should you refer to the genesis, this is your starting point.

Is/was there better investment strategy for the last 3 years ?
    Yes.
    Do they fit with our (my) noobish knowledge of stocks at the time we went in ?
    Not sure.
    What will be our gains within 2 years (within the initial 3-5 years 'no guarantee' long hold timeframe) ?
    Who knows?
    Something is sure yet. Most of us are within a 8-12 avg $price and it appears those predicting we'll lose everything and I was a 'criminal' had it wrong. And those who choose not to panic when we hit the $6s (were they emotional then ? ) are for most happy they didn't.

Most here have tiny amounts in play, not tens of thousands.
    They don't engage their lives nor anything more than a part of free spare.

Relax, we should at least survive... or earn multiples 'one day'. But above all, we are part of it, here and outside the forums. And buying some shares is just a way we choose to put our words and acts together. And we remember it, on a daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-26-14 at 09:38 AM.
    10-26-14 09:25 AM
    And that's what makes it all so beautiful Ant
    10-26-14 09:31 AM
    You have a big part on this BBW... times have been hard sometimes here and you and the team made excellent work and showed huge patience and involvement, sometimes even fighting to keep this thread alive.
    That we don't forget either !

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:36 AM
    OT for those with interest in Electric Vehicles. Anyone have enough contacts to know if they could eventually consider using QNX technology, knowing they presently use something else (internal?) :

Tesla CTO Presentation (+ Other EV News) | CleanTechnica

Enjoy the weekend !
    Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    10-26-14 11:38 AM
    OT for those with interest in Electric Vehicles. Anyone have enough contacts to know if they could eventually consider using QNX technology, knowing they presently use something else (internal?) :

Enjoy the weekend !
    This, for highways, is what I see moving EV's forward, much more than battery and system technology. It would keep vehicle price down, while making them much more practical.

Wirelessly Charge Electric Vehicles by Induction While Driving - IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative Web Portal

Downside is the huge initial taxpayer burden, by a majority who won't use it for years to come.
    10-26-14 11:50 AM
    Hi BBW,

Have colleagues involved in area of IEC Standards of Electric Vehicles and IEEE Power Generation, where I have a passing interest in vehicles (not enough free time available with my present heavy workload in the Energy Generation sector). I have kept a distant eye on the vehicle technical subject for years, maybe a future retirement project in a few years. But always interested in QNX and BB possibilities. Note: Was in Norway for a week in June where the TESLA Model S is presently responsible for the highest new model vehicle sales number, mainly because of heavy Government subsidies but this could be reduced soon.

http://www.iec.ch/dyn/www/f?p=103:91...ctric vehicles
    http://www.iec.ch/etech/2013/etech_0413/tech-1.htm

Hooray for all electrical vehicles (actually preceded the gas driven vehicles, but can live with both)

And long live QNX and BB contributing to support all vehicles.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-tech-1_toyota_pmv_lrg.jpg
    Last edited by rarsen; 10-26-14 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added IEC pages.
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    10-26-14 12:41 PM

Enjoy the weekend !
    From what I have learned, they use two levels of software, infotainment and control, they need to be able to add new features quickly and to scale and they also need to have security and safety in the car. They feel this is best obtained by a secure level of control for the basic core car functions (proprietary) and a Linux based, cost effective infotainment structure that can be updated rapidly. They are well aware of QNX and there is a platform for QNX in the future, not today. Even when you know somebody in the business often times these topics are so complicated you need a full afternoon to understand where they see advantages and disadvantages in various inputs to their product.
    Corbu, Munx, cjcampbell and 8 others like this.
    10-26-14 01:22 PM
    http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporat...ckberry-684317

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    CDM76, rarsen, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    10-26-14 03:20 PM
113,256 ... 29392940294129422943 ...