Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    How come we didn't talk about IBM today? Lol

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    I'll bite ... but I don't know how to do those fancy charts you'll see from some of the others .

OT: IBM looked pretty bad across the spectrum. Services, software and technology down. CEO was on CNBC today at 10 ET. Sounded like things were going okay until September when the quarter slowed down.

Big investments in cloud, analytics, "engagement," as well as as divesting a manufacturing business to global foundry (with a large outflow of cash), but could be a while before those growth engines are firing on all cylinders... the existing businesses didn't do enough as she is trying to move to "Higher value."

She also finally abandoned their 2015 roadmap of $20/share. She said the technology world changes had accelerated even faster than anticipated and indicated she would be making several organization changes.

Interesting to see what the others report. Apple and TI beat, but let's look at other software and services companies to see if its a macro thing or if IBM is just loosing share.

I welcome any comments or thoughts.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    Last edited by b121; 10-21-14 at 06:19 AM.
    jxnb, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    10-20-14 08:54 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files, an idea from the UK Government worth considering in other countries. And something from the very dark places of the FBI...

Britain proposes jail for internet trolls | ZDNet
    FBI Director: Mobile encryption could lead us to 'very dark place' | ZDNet
    All this fbi stuff has me thinking that they are doing it to give ppl a false sense of security. "Dont encrypt, we'll be doomed" everybody encrypts. Fbi - hahaha we can STILL read it.... well except bb10.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    10-20-14 09:02 PM
    Attachment 307901
    Just got these!
    Passports for wife and me!

Posted via CB10
    Got mine too and was going to comment in the "coupon" thread about the numbers on the order sheet that was shipped with the device but it is closed now.

I see it as DR used the discount price for the 'original unit price' on mine, then discounted that already discounted price for the subtotal. Thing is they calculated the tax correctly (on $524.25 not $349.50). There is a ecommerce system glitch on the order sheet, but they charged credit card correctly and calculated tax correctly. So to the guy who was going to ask for a credit....see if your tax on the shipping order sheet is correct based on the amount you actually paid and were billed.
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-20-14 09:10 PM
    An excuse for some eye candy:
    QNX Auto Blog

While on the subject of QNX, I was watching this video the other day and could not help but hope that QNX would one day strike a deal with some major players...

Enough with the car videos now...
    Hold up. I don't get it. Is this Mercedes using QNX for the instrument cluster? The linked video shows a BMW. Is that a' la QNX too?

So confused. )
    10-20-14 10:35 PM
    Hold up. I don't get it. Is this Mercedes using QNX for the instrument cluster? The linked video shows a BMW. Is that a' la QNX too?

So confused. )
    Well, so am I! No... As far as I know that Mercedes is simply the latest QNX technology concept car and I have not heard of any formal deal having been struck between QNX and Mercedes. As for the i8, no luck there either, unfortunately... Given that Chris Harris mentions around 9:40 that the instrument cluster is not the best he has seen, I was merely recalling QNX's work (adopted in the 2015 Audi TT) and dreaming about the fact that - in an ideal world - I would like to see QNX strike a deal with some major high-end players such as BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, etc.

I doubt it will happen however. Tesla is definitively going in another direction and I am not quite sure where things stand with other manufacturers. The information concerning QNX and the deals that have been struck has never been very clear... Cheers!
    CDM76, Mr BBRY and Bacon Munchers like this.
    10-20-14 11:20 PM

Interesting read, May be today's spike was due to partially because of this
    JLagoon and _dimi_ like this.
    10-20-14 11:51 PM
    Title says it all. Article doesn't get much better from there.

http://www.hallels.com/articles/1027...sor-bb-z10.htm

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-20-14 11:59 PM
    What's are you talking about

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 12:00 AM
    Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 12:05 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BBNATION: BlackBerry ceo Chen 's speech in Hong Kong was indeed very impressive.... great things ahead for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, snejpa, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    10-21-14 03:18 AM
    OT: Apple Carplay Patent

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...evel-functions

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    10-21-14 03:45 AM
    Aside from regulatory issues and government objection a sale to Lenova would have to impress Watsa:

Fairfax’s founder and lead BlackBerry director, Prem Watsa, is a long-term value investor who is supporting a multiyear turnaround. Having paid an average cost of about $17 a share for his BlackBerry stake, it is unlikely Mr. Watsa would be motivated to sell unless a suitor was willing to pay a meaningful premium for a stock that closed at $11.63 on the Toronto Stock Exchange Monday.
    BlackBerry shares spurred by Lenovo takeover rumours - The Globe and Mail
    10-21-14 05:18 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    W Hoa: I agree that Prem watsa and other major shareholders see great potential in Blackberry and are not short term investors, and would not consider selling unless BlackBerry SP is way north of $25, imo

Me too! Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:31 AM
    Title says it all. Article doesn't get much better from there.

'BlackBerry Classic': How Different Is It From Its Predecessor BB Z10? : Trending : Hallels

Posted via CB10
    Ignoramuses!
    10-21-14 06:12 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    10-21-14 06:32 AM
    More reasoned discussion about why the Lenovo thing is very unlikely...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2577...for-a-takeover

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2577...get-bought-out

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    10-21-14 06:56 AM
    10-21-14 07:01 AM
    Too bad Samsung killed Knox. lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    10-21-14 07:11 AM
    If you take away anything from yesterday its that this stock is still being manipulated big time. Biggest jump in share price in a long time and for what the same rumour that has been hashed up like 3 times over the past 2 years. Come on shorts atleast make the rumour some what believable
    bungaboy, CDM76 and La Emperor like this.
    10-21-14 07:36 AM
    I wonder how low we will end today
    10-21-14 07:41 AM
    If you take away anything from yesterday its that this stock is still being manipulated big time. Biggest jump in share price in a long time and for what the same rumour that has been hashed up like 3 times over the past 2 years. Come on shorts atleast make the rumour some what believable
    While I agree BBRY has been subjected to manipulation in the last couple years (maddeningly so at times), I'm not sure I see why 'Shorts' would want to trigger a huge gain by starting a rumour with positive spin...?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 07:42 AM
    While I agree BBRY has been subjected to manipulation in the last couple years (maddeningly so at times), I'm not sure I see why 'Shorts' would want to trigger a huge gain by starting a rumour with positive spin...?

Posted via CB10
    They needed a cover story to hide behide while they covered a good chunk of there shorted shares. Even more eyebrows would be raised if they just covered and there was no news. Watch for it to drop today on low-volume
    10-21-14 07:46 AM
    Okay, interesting...I think you're correct about the direct we're heading today...was up as high as 10.63 in premarket but it's moved down to the $10.15 - $10.20 range currently...another interesting day in store!!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 07:50 AM
    Another PP Review slowly conceding to its benefits with an Editor's rating of 8:

BlackBerry Passport review: Aimed squarely at business | ZDNet

"BlackBerry hopes to revive its fortunes with the Passport, and has come up with an innovative business-focused handset. We've seen the Passport ridiculed on size grounds, but this is unfair in our view. Yes it's large and difficult to use one-handed, and it lacks 'blingy' consumer features, but there are plenty of plus points: its 4.5-inch, 1:1 aspect ratio screen provides space to do real work; the touch-enabled QWERTY keyboard is usable and functional; services like Blend, Balance and Hub have obvious appeal to business users; Assistant lets you accomplish some tasks very quickly; the BES back end is a very capable enterprise mobile management system; and battery life is superb."
    morganplus8, Corbu, W Hoa and 9 others like this.
    10-21-14 08:19 AM
    Well the stops got stomped.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    10-21-14 08:32 AM
113,256 ... 29302931293229332934 ...