View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What Does the Man on the Street Think of the BlackBerry Passport? | Inside BlackBerry

“Based on my own research, people want the Passport because it’s different from the Apple norm we’ve been seeing since the first iPhone was introduced seven years ago. It has ‘cool’ and ‘I’m important’ written all over it. If BlackBerry can succeed in ‘bringing sexy back,’ the Passport – and perhaps BlackBerry – has a real shot at becoming the new status symbol for a population desperately looking for something new.

OT: Kinda Sorta but most of you guys know this about me ....

La Emperor, Mr BBRY and sidhuk like this.
    10-17-14 01:43 PM
    I know a Guy here who has 5 passports.

4 in the hand . . . one (VIP) still in the bush!
    10-17-14 01:45 PM
    10-17-14 01:46 PM
    Interesting comment, I copied and pasted from KIA ( major thanks, btw) on the link you posted above Sid.
    Folks, draw your own conclusions.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

KIA Investment Research
    , contributor
    Comments (8430) | + Follow | Send Message

I just got off the phone with Connie Dosky(?) over at BlackBerry investor relations. (I promised I would share the info when I got the call back.)

Okay, I had asked Conny a few days ago in a voice message essentially, if the 200,000 Passports were sold to end-users, or delivered to retail or other resellers.

Before getting the call back from Connie, I read the Bloomberg article linked by mapo where they claim 200,000 units were sold. The problem with this article was that it wasn't a quote, so I now also wanted this clarified by BlackBerry.

After running to the breakroom for a cup of coffee, I saw that I had a voice message, but before I could pick it up, my phone rang.

It was funny, she was telling me "This is Connie" but she didn't say BlackBerry and I really had no idea who she was! After a few seconds we got it all sorted out.

I recorded the entire conversation sans that clumsy beginning where I was trying for figure out who it was, but I'm reluctant to link it here without getting her explicit permission. (I have a call into her asking if I can share this recording.)

What I did learn here is this:
    O) The 200,000 units were purchased-ordered by retail and other distributors (not end users)
    O) The sellouts at the likes of Amazon are the units actually sold are to end users.
    O) (important) The restocking of units *is drawn from the original 200,000 units* and NOT from a fresh production-run of units.

So the bottom line is that all that has likely been produced up to this time is the original 200,000 units, and new units produced will only "trickle" out.
    We do not know (and she would not share) actual 'to end-user' sales. She was explicit here.

Other old news:
    o) Passport is not Foxconn maid, and this is why production 'trickles' out
    o) The Classic will Foxconn maid and will have little if any production limitations

I just called her back and asked if I could write an article on everything we discussed, and--most importantly--share the recording.
    I'm awaiting a call back.

I hope this clears up at least some of the confusion. "
    10-17-14 02:27 PM
    Interesting comment, I copied and pasted from KIA ( major thanks, btw) on the link you posted above Sid.

KIA Investment Research
    , contributor

I just got off the phone with Connie Dosky(?) over at BlackBerry investor relations. (I promised I would share the info when I got the call back.)

Okay, I had asked Conny a few days ago in a voice message essentially, if the 200,000 Passports were sold to end-users, or delivered to retail or other resellers.

Before getting the call back from Connie, I read the Bloomberg article linked by mapo where they claim 200,000 units were sold. The problem with this article was that it wasn't a quote, so I now also wanted this clarified by BlackBerry.

After running to the breakroom for a cup of coffee, I saw that I had a voice message, but before I could pick it up, my phone rang.

It was funny, she was telling me "This is Connie" but she didn't say BlackBerry and I really had no idea who she was! After a few seconds we got it all sorted out.

I recorded the entire conversation sans that clumsy beginning where I was trying for figure out who it was, but I'm reluctant to link it here without getting her explicit permission. (I have a call into her asking if I can share this recording.)

O) The 200,000 units were purchased-ordered by retail and other distributors (not end users)
    O) The sellouts at the likes of Amazon are the units actually sold are to end users.
    O) (important) The restocking of units *is drawn from the original 200,000 units* and NOT from a fresh production-run of units.

So the bottom line is that all that has likely been produced up to this time is the original 200,000 units, and new units produced will only "trickle" out.
    We do not know (and she would not share) actual 'to end-user' sales. She was explicit here.

Other old news:
    o) The Classic will Foxconn maid and will have little if any production limitations

I just called her back and asked if I could write an article on everything we discussed, and--most importantly--share the recording.

Ummmm. 200k to retail and distributors???? The restocking (taking 2+ weeks) is from those original 200k ????

Doesn't sound right to me...... but if it is then we may be in trouble!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 02:43 PM

KIA Investment Research
    , contributor

Other old news:

Interesting, however and bare in mind I'm no logistics know it all, but the time line to restock to initial channels was many weeks not days. If, as this person states, when pulling from existing stock, even consolidated, it would never take that long.

So, if Digital river bought 100,000 units as an example, and kept half their stock at a warehouse near the manufacturing site, and half in a distribution warehouse in their regions, they would have likely had at worst a 1 week restock time factoring consolidated air shipment time. Same goes for Amazon who's consolidated shipments likely happen every day from all regions of the world, giving a 3 day turn around at worst even if the parts are on the other side of the planet. This nothing to say if expedite shipping is initiated.

Now, to balance this, we have heard nothing about production increases or spikes which does lend credibility to the comment you posted. If BlackBerry suddenly had to ramp up production, surely we would have heard about this.

Baring further comment from BlackBerry (and many will argue the silence is deafening) I suspect we will have to wait until December to have even a little bit of an idea how many they have sold.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 02:45 PM
    Just to be the voice of tempered expectations......The markets will peak at some point today and profits will be had. I will dance a jig of we stay about 2% gain today.

Posted via CB10
    2 minutes left..... will I or won't I have to do a jig?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-17-14 02:58 PM
    Interesting, however and bare in mind I'm no logistics know it all, but the time line to restock to initial channels was many weeks not days. If, as this person states, when pulling from existing stock, even consolidated, it would never take that long.

So, if Digital river bought 100,000 units as an example, and kept half their stock at a warehouse near the manufacturing site, and half in a distribution warehouse in their regions, they would have likely had at worst a 1 week restock time factoring consolidated air shipment time. Same goes for Amazon who's consolidated shipments likely happen every day from all regions of the world, giving a 3 day turn around at worst even if the parts are on the other side of the planet. This nothing to say if expedite shipping is initiated.

Now, to balance this, we have heard nothing about production increases or spikes which does lend credibility to the comment you posted. If BlackBerry suddenly had to ramp up production, surely we would have heard about this.

Baring further comment from BlackBerry (and many will argue the silence is deafening) I suspect we will have to wait until December to have even a little bit of an idea how many they have sold.

Posted via CB10
    Also to add to that, many countries have different launch dates. So the intial 200k were spread out to different hands. While the 200K may not have been depleted on launch day, we maybe close to it since every country where it launches seems to have sold out. Just in the case of Malaysia recently.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 10-17-14 at 03:23 PM.
    10-17-14 03:00 PM
    Thanks La Emperor!!!

Your story makes a ton of sense to me. Passport seems to be a hit, with (lots of?) potential down the road. However, it would not surprise me if they're only now finalizing the production of the initial 200,000 handsets ordered. I'm not an expert, but producing > 20,000 pre-launch sounds high(ish); daily production of > 10,000 sounds high(ish) too. I believe JC prefers losing sales vs. taking on inventory risk. Imagine a few days of slower sales and you're producing 20,000 a day. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that, when news eventually trickles down to the manufacturing level that things are going slower, you're sitting on an unsold stock of 100,000. Then what do you do, push the off button? And restart whenever you work your way through this inventory? I'm sure there's a bigger cost involved to stop/restart production vs. having people wait. If they want the Passport, they'll wait.
    10-17-14 03:10 PM

KIA Investment Research
    , contributor

Other old news:

At the time of the conference call, the Passport had already been out for 2 days. After the earnings call, a reporter ask JC, when he expected the Passport to become profitable. His answer was "it already is". He had also mentioned that they sold 200k at that point. These two comments together suggest they haven't been moving inventory around the entire time and all subsequent sales were new orders/sales. Someone posted that video link in this very thread. I'm surprised nobody remembers.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:25 PM

KIA Investment Research
    , contributor

Other old news:

Well . . . I'm calling BS on this.

I have, in front of me, 4 new Passports

Build dates:

September 9, 2014, Ordered from Shop Blackberry.ca Launch day, September 24th, Shipped September 25th
    September 12, 2014,
    September 30, 2014
    October 8, 2014 Backordered from Shop Blackberry.ca October 3rd, Shipped October 15th.

The spread in the 1st and 4th phone serial numbers off the Shop BlackBerry.ca paaperwork is = 379,745!

Suzie Quatros!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-suzie-quatros.jpg
    Last edited by bungaboy; 10-17-14 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Update fix error
    sidhuk, _dimi_, lech31 and 26 others like this.
    10-17-14 03:30 PM
    Sounds wrong to me.

Posted via CB10
    Edit:
    Opps this didn't end up where it was supposed to.
    Last edited by awindsr; 10-17-14 at 04:45 PM.
    10-17-14 03:51 PM

Build dates:

September 9, 2014
    September 12, 2014, Ordered from Shop Blackberry.ca Launch day, September 24th, Shipped September 25th
    September 30, 2014
    October 8, 2014 Backordered from Shop Blackberry.ca October 3rd, Shipped October 15th.

The spread in the 2nd and 4th phone serial numbers is = 379,745!
    Interesting method!

What is the earliest serial #?

Is it the IMEI# ?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:00 PM
    I'm actually amazed that someone here posted a response from a long time BlackBerry basher "KIA" who have been and it seems still is trolling the BBRY SA Forum. I've tried to reason with this guy, but he just keeps spitting the oldest news available. This is the last time I'm going to waist my time on this individual.

Cheers!

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    10-17-14 04:00 PM
    Interesting method!

What is the earliest serial #?

Posted via CB10
    Make me work! The 2nd and 3rd were bought at retail locations. The two I quoted were bought directly from BlackBerry order info.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 10-18-14 at 07:59 AM. Reason: 2nd not 1st
    _dimi_, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    10-17-14 04:06 PM
    I'm actually amazed that someone here posted a response from a long time BlackBerry basher "KIA" who have been and it seems still is trolling the BBRY SA Forum. I've tried to reason with this guy, but he just keeps spitting the oldest news available. This is the last time I'm going to waist my time on this individual.

Cheers!

I apologize if I posted something distasteful. I did not know the fellow was a BB basher and thought others maybe interested on what he was claiming.( his call to a Blackberry personnel. )
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    10-17-14 04:11 PM
    Nothing to see here folks haha

Serial is 11,900
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141017_141352.png  
    Last edited by dusdal; 10-17-14 at 04:50 PM. Reason: to delete imei pics
    10-17-14 04:17 PM
    I apologize if I posted something distasteful. I did not know the fellow was a BB basher and thought others maybe interested on what he was claiming.( his call to a Blackberry personnel. )
    No worries my friend. I've only mentioned it as I thought it was important given the source of information.

10-17-14 04:19 PM
    Haha sorry.

Here's how I interpret it now:

Our IMEI has 15 figures, so it must be according to the old format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...pment_Identity

So we simply ignore the last digit and the previous six make up the serial, I think.

Mine being, 11,900?

Posted via CB10
    Uuummmm.....delete the images, don't show your IMEI

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ibpluto; 10-17-14 at 04:35 PM.
    cjcampbell, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    10-17-14 04:24 PM
    Haha sorry.

Here's how I interpret it now:

Our IMEI has 15 figures, so it must be according to the old format

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141017_141352.png

International Mobile Station Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So we simply ignore the last digit and the previous six make up the serial, I think.

Mine being, 11,900?

Posted via CB10
    You might want to remove that pic with your IMEI number in it. It isn't something that's wise to share.
    10-17-14 04:28 PM
    It was a good trolling post by him so don't worry about it. The sign of a good troll is adding believability to the post by adding some facts, such as the 200k quote from Chen being the volume of PO's, not sell through on the EC.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-17-14 04:32 PM
    It was a good trolling post by him so don't worry about it. The sign of a good troll is adding believability to the post by adding some facts, such as the 200k quote from Chen being the volume of PO's, not sell through on the EC.
    Thanks. Will be more careful next time and not post a " tainted comment."
    Cheers.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 10-17-14 at 04:48 PM.
    10-17-14 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I heard that the delay in restocking was due to a coincidentall strike by BlackBerrys overworked delivery donkey fleet . Seems it was a bad cost cutting measure by JC.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141017_180253_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:39 PM
    go for it!
    2 minutes left..... will I or won't I have to do a jig?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:47 PM

Build dates:

September 9, 2014, Ordered from Shop Blackberry.ca Launch day, September 24th, Shipped September 25th
    September 12, 2014,
    September 30, 2014

The spread in the 1st and 4th phone serial numbers off the Shop BlackBerry.ca paaperwork is = 379,745!

Suzie Quatros!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzie Quatros.jpg 
Views:	1474 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	306816
    my telus marked has the date sep 13th 2014
    shopblackberry sep 8th 2014
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-17-14 05:01 PM
113,256 ... 29232924292529262927 ...