View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    I hope it was his choice! He was, to me, the friendly face of BlackBerry!
    W Hoa, sidhuk, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-07-14 09:56 AM
    I hope it was his choice! He was, to me, the friendly face of BlackBerry!
    If it was his choice, it would worry me a bit. That would indicate that he didn't agree with the companies direction. And I would assume they would immediately walk him out if that was the case. I'm actually surprised they are letting him linger around so long. Lots of time to steel company information :P

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:03 AM
    For the last three years Alec has been a bright light in a very dark place. Cheers to him
    rarsen, sidhuk, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    10-07-14 10:04 AM
    So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!
    Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    I see that with mixed feeling. Saunders is a really nice guy and did a lot for the developer community, but he was also responsible for flooding BB world with more or less outdated or useless android apps. He even defended the strategy of the one developer who made almost half of the apps, 99% of them useless. It was all about the numbers. I can understand why, but I still think it was a mistake, because he made BB world a worse place.
    He should have focused on getting some key apps on board, even paying the developers if necessary. That would have been a catalyst. And then focus on high quality productivity apps.
    Last edited by georg4BB; 10-07-14 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
    10-07-14 10:11 AM
    The big apps were Marty Malick's responsibility.

I think both gentlemen were given losing tasks from the start so it's hard to blame them that they failed in the end. BlackBerry had all the lessons regarding apps they needed to learn from PlayBook but went and followed what was essentially the same losing strategy for bringing devs on board that they did with the PlayBook.

What's abundantly clear now is that they also had Android Apps on the radar as plan B and we have to be really happy they did. Where would BlackBerry be right now without the ability to run those apps? There is no way to know if Malick or Sanders had anything to do with that - I have not seen anything linking their names to that channel.

I think Alex had a lot of enthusiasm for the brand and brought that with him where ever he was assigned.
    10-07-14 10:28 AM
    It was all about the numbers. I can understand why, but I still think it was a mistake, because he made BB world a worse place.
    He should have focused on getting some key apps on board, even pay the developers if necessary. That would have been a catalyst. And then focus on high quality productivity apps.
    I would agree with you about the numbers comment and the sub-standard apps but if you had followed the story for the last three years you would know that the "getting some key apps on board, even pay(ing) the developers if necessary" argument was done to death. It was all to no avail because the developers wouldn't come on board for love or money. And Alec was willing to offer both.
    10-07-14 10:32 AM
    I would agree with you about the numbers comment and the sub-standard apps but if you had followed the story for the last three years you would know that the "getting some key apps on board, even pay(ing) the developers if necessary" argument was done to death. It was all to no avail because the developers wouldn't come on board for love or money. And Alec was willing to offer both.
    It's somewhat offtopic but my suggestion on how to get more apps was this:

1. Launch trade-up program. Exchange your old smartphone for a new Z10/Z30/Q5/Q10 for ridiculously low price (whatever is their breakeven so $175/$225/$175/$225)

2. While this would not have gotten them PROFIT but this (I think) would have ensured increased uptake of BB10 OS right from the start. Imagine if they had upgraded roughly 20% of their existing user base (80M at that time, so 16 M BB10phones). That alone would have been incentive enough for developers to start porting apps in such a quickly growing OS (from 0 to 16M in a year)

As an aside they could still publicly, officially price the phone $600-$700 and take away this exchange-old-BlackBerry or exchange-old-smartphone offer whenever they thought BlackBerry 10 OS had accomplished critical-mass level of penetration. This has the advantage that BlackBerry wouldn't have officially need to cut its prices, prices marked would be still high/premium inline with iPhones and Galaxies. And yet sell them cheap, undercut the market, under the guise of an exchange offer for loyal BlackBerry (legacy) users.

There was a lot of BUZZ when BB10 was launched. An offer like that, at that time, would have done wonders. This year, they could have been launching new gen phones (like Passport etc) but without that offer or even reduced offer. However, they'd already have had substantial number of app developers with them and over 16M BB10 devices already in the market.
    10-07-14 10:59 AM
    White, anyone?

10-07-14 11:08 AM
    Why is the stock almost down in the 8 right now? Wtf why does this keep happening. Very annoying. Shouldn't it be trending upward?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:18 AM
    10-07-14 11:19 AM
    Why is the stock almost down in the 8 right now? Wtf why does this keep happening. Very annoying. Shouldn't it be trending upward?

Posted via CB10
    Was about to ask this as well. Anyone have a reason why?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:23 AM
    Hey M8 or Lagoon!

Was just browsing and came around with this chart, do you guys think this person has a valid chart? just curious about your input because it looks like the recent down trend ruined the ascending triangle.

Thanks!

ACInvestorBlog - $BBRY building an ascending triangle on weekly chart with 11... | StockTwits
    bungaboy and JLagoon like this.
    10-07-14 11:52 AM
    The overall market is down this morning.

BlackBerry inventory cost was up 6MM in the last quarter. If we attribute all of it to passport production with a assembly cost of 200$ that's 30k units ( the same as Samsung's initial run of the Note4).

Chen said that they sold out and had pre-orders for 200k. At their peak BlackBerry could produce 20k units/day. If we are conservative and say they can produce 10k passports/day now (figuring the other 10k/ day for Q, Z and classic). We can expect 200-300k per month or 400-600k for the quarter. Tack that onto a base line of 2.1MM units per quarter and we get to ~2.5MM units sold through to customers. Which is exactly where Chen wants it to be. He doesn't want a big spike in sales from passports because the market will dump all over him if unit sales drop in the following quarter. He's limited the supply of passports to pique interest in bb10 with the hopes of driving sales of the classic and adoption of BES12.

I will be happy to see only 2.5MM units sold through the November quarter. It means Chen is staying on target and reaching his objective of 10MM units annually.

BB10 4 ME
    10-07-14 11:56 AM
    The overall market is down this morning.

BlackBerry inventory cost was up 6MM in the last quarter. If we attribute all of it to passport production with a assembly cost of 200$ that's 30k units ( the same as Samsung's initial run of the Note4).

Chen said that they sold out and had pre-orders for 200k. At their peak BlackBerry could produce 20k units/day. If we are conservative and say they can produce 10k passports/day now (figuring the other 10k/ day for Q, Z and classic). We can expect 200-300k per month or 400-600k for the quarter. Tack that onto a base line of 2.1MM units per quarter and we get to ~2.5MM units sold through to customers. Which is exactly where Chen wants it to be. He doesn't want a big spike in sales from passports because the market will dump all over him if unit sales drop in the following quarter. He's limited the supply of passports to pique interest in bb10 with the hopes of driving sales of the classic and adoption of BES12.

I will be happy to see only 2.5MM units sold through the November quarter. It means Chen is staying on target and reaching his objective of 10MM units annually.

BB10 4 ME
    Disagree with you....
    They can certainly increase the units produced per day if there is a demand for it. And i think they will.

Chen won't be so afraid of a spike in sales followed by a drop because he mentioned earlier that he already has some plans for the Passport to maintain the sales after the initial spike. I have always found that comment interesting.

I think they will cross the 2.5 million mark.
    10-07-14 12:03 PM
    Disagree with you....
    They can certainly increase the units produced per day if there is a demand for it. And i think they will.

Chen won't be so afraid of a spike in sales followed by a drop because he mentioned earlier that he already has some plans for the Passport to maintain the sales after the initial spike. I have always found that comment interesting.

I think they will cross the 2.5 million mark.
    True. All I want is 4M devices per quarter with decent margin (like Passport, Q10, Z30). And we'd be laughing our way to bank.
    10-07-14 12:09 PM
    I think they will too. I just think People calling for 6MM in the quarter is overly optimistic. Even if they could produce 20k/day, 30 days a month they'd only produce 1.8MM. Adding that on the baseline of 2.1 get us to 3.9MM. That seems overly optimistic as well. But hey, I'd love to be wrong about that!

BB10 4 ME
    10-07-14 12:11 PM
    Not sure if the 20k a day is attributed to my comment a few days back after speaking to a BlackBerry neighbour, but that referred to Passport production (and was just an educated guess) and not worldwide production. Remember, Foxconn is producing Z3s in China - Passport's being built in Mexico...the comment was only about 20k Passports per day being a reasonable estimate of their Mexican build capacity.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 12:23 PM
    Anyone else see this? To me it reads as: BlackBerry has positives and is in line with industry percentages. However, due to a low Return on Equity, sell your shares and run for the hills.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12905...o&cm_ven=YAHOO

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    10-07-14 12:35 PM
    I remember seeing your comment and I went digging around the Web for more info. I figured 20k/day was their peak production during their heyday. I stuck with 20k /day figuring that production innovations would be countered by staff reductions. I didn't include Z3 as its build out of house, but it does contribute to the baseline number.
    I still think Chen is controlling flow through to generate buzz and even out the quarter sell through. It make sense because any swing in the quarterly numbers will not be looked at as favorably as a slow steady increase in the numbers.
    Everybody jumped all over the declining service fees and is already asking Chen where the growth is! I mean, Give the guy a break, he isn't even a full year into the job!

BB10 4 ME
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-07-14 12:37 PM
    Hey M8 or Lagoon!

Was just browsing and came around with this chart, do you guys think this person has a valid chart? just curious about your input because it looks like the recent down trend ruined the ascending triangle.

Thanks!

ACInvestorBlog - $BBRY building an ascending triangle on weekly chart with 11... | StockTwits
    I believe that chart is a very poor representation of BBRY over the past 3 plus years.

Here is a daily H/L/C for one year and when you connect the lows of last year to the trending lows this year, you get nothing like his chart.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-oct-7-2014.png

When you draw his uptrend line on a daily basis, you quickly see how poorly his chart shows the support level. We see support at $ 8.70/shr re: the uptrend line, there is also support at $ 9.11/shr re: the 200-dma and there is also support at the uptrend line in terms of the RSI=30 at that point. The general market is not great, we are down 126 pts. on the DOW today and the market is rolling over here. This typically happens in the Fall and this year is no different. There really is nothing in that chart that we can use to determine where BBRY is going.
    10-07-14 12:38 PM
    OT. this suppose be Passport's work.

Wyniki konkursu: Wakacje z BlackBerry! | BBNews
    10-07-14 12:49 PM
    Anyone else see this? To me it reads as: BlackBerry has positives and is in line with industry percentages. However, due to a low Return on Equity, sell your shares and run for the hills.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12905...o&cm_ven=YAHOO

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    It comes from "The Street" and little to no thought has been placed upon the companies' financial/growth status going forward. CB members are doing a far better job of discerning hardware sales for Q3 then "The Street" ever could. "The Street" ranks significantly below SA and The Fool when it comes to data and interpreting that data. The difference between "The Street" and every other source is that no one else makes use of canned formulas to compare a turn-around play to a company that has been seeded for many years now. Dumb, dumb, dumb on their part and annoying for the rest of us. There, I said it!
    sidhuk, Corbu, La Emperor and 10 others like this.
    10-07-14 12:49 PM
    Morganplus8 - given that Passport seems to be doing better than Z10, do you think we can cross $15, $17 or even $20 by next earning call?
    Soumaila Somtore likes this.
    10-07-14 12:51 PM
    Morganplus8 - given that Passport seems to be doing better than Z10, do you think we can cross $15, $17 or even $20 by next earning call?
    Remember when Heins told us about the 1,000,000 Z10 order back in March 2012? It's difficult to compare Chen's 200,000 unit order to that one and still we flopped! LOL

Luckily, I take the 200,000 far more seriously than that 1 MM order. I personally think we will show a profit in Q3, we will see a substantial increase in revenues and unit sales versus Q2 and the only negative will be Services. Having said all of that ,there is a pile of trades in BBRY that need to be worked through in the $ 13.50 - $ 14.00 area and that's where I think we can get bogged down for part of the rally. I see us rallying into the end of the year and into January as well. Can we get higher than $ 14.00/shr, that's something I have to look at when we fill the gap to $ 12.40/shr. At that point we'll look at the chart and the data from the company. I would say, in order to get much above $ 14.00/shr you need to see a P/E ratio develop and not something in the $ .20/year range for EPS. If you can see better earnings by the end of calendar 2015, you can see a much higher stock price too.
    10-07-14 01:08 PM
    10-07-14 01:25 PM
113,250 ... 29052906290729082909 ...