View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I don't know if anyone has the figures at hand, but I think it would be interesting to put iPhone sales side by side with bb10, from the start, quarterly quarter.

Don't have the figures on me, otherwise I would do it by myself.

You could also normalise for the size of the phone market as a whole if you wanted.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    10-05-14 01:44 PM
    Also on the subject of handset sales from the conversation so far

Potential downside:

Bb7 handset sales decline
    Old model phones stop selling
    Lack of traction of bb10, declining sales of bb10 handsets from Q2
    Canabilisation of handset sales for passport.

Upside:

Passport launch success, over 500k sales in first quarter
    Classic launch
    Greater traction of bb10 OS, increased sales from Q2
    Enterprise handset sales as they online BES12.

As I said, I think it the upside is far greater than the downside, but I am being cautious.

After this, the other thing to look for would be a leveling out of service revenue decline (expecting 50 mil) and replacing part of this with software revenue.

Would also be nice to see the license numbers double.!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 02:00 PM
    Well, I guess we'll know in 3 more months what the world market looks like. I disagree with you when it comes to BlackBerry's product line, in North America, you are right the suite of phones are dated but in the rest of the world, BB is just getting many of the products out there. I read that there were 900,000 BB07 Q2 units sold, in any case, they likely won't drop off a cliff to 300,000 without being replaced with Z3 and Q5/Q10 products making up the difference. At the same time, the world is about to get flooded with Passports and the Classic. I would consider it a surprise and a major disappointment if they only sold 2.5 MM handsets in Q3.

I'll make one more distinction, I believe that all BlackBerry phones with BB 10.3+ will become very popular and hold their own in sales worldwide for 2 solid quarters. I would describe BB 10.3 as the game changer for BlackBerry in calendar 2015. Let's see how it plays out, I'll stick with 3.0 MM plus units sold in Q3.
    I'm saying 3.3 million because I feel everyone is underestimating Passport sales. They sold their initial run of 200,000 and now their entire second run which I believe to also be 200,000. I also believe that this is just the beginning of increased uptake. The more people that get it early, the more people that are exposed to it while it is still the newest, most interesting phone on the market.

Other than that, I like your analysis.

My guess: 3.1-3.6million

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 02:28 PM
    @ Morgan:

Since I live in Germany, I cannot speak for North America. But I travel quite a lot, especially in Europe. I have to tell you honestly... I don't have any idea how BlackBerry could manage to sell more devices here. They need something special like the Passport that draws attention. I guess the Passport is one of the most known devices by not BlackBerry Fans...
    If you ask people most of them know or at least heard of it but if you ask for if they heard something about the Q5 or Z3 they usually have no idea that those phones even exist...

Well, what I want to say... I don't see a big upside when it comes to the sales of current BB10 devices (excluding the Passport). However, I have high expectations when it comes to the Passport, the Classic, and the Z3.

I think most of the BB07 sales are related to companies, which are not willing upgrade to BES10 and want to get some Bolds for their employees to use at a later time. That's at least the conclusion of some analysts, which wondered why the sales in the US picked up...
    Those sales will eventually come to an end and I am not sure whether they get replaced by other BB10 devices. I think the biggest driver of sales will be the adaption of BES10/BES12 by companies...

We will see how this works out. But I would be satisfied by sales around 2.5 million phones (if BB07 sales drop significantly). This would mean that BB10 would gain more and more traction and that is the most important thing for me...
    Last edited by Intrestor; 10-05-14 at 04:08 PM.
    10-05-14 02:40 PM
    OT:

Silicon Valley giant Hewlett-Packard to split in two: report

Silicon Valley giant Hewlett-Packard to split in two: report - The Globe and Mail

Silicon Valley stalwart Hewlett-Packard Co, which has struggled to adapt to the new era of mobile and online computing, plans to split into two companies as it looks to put more focus on the faster-growing corporate services market, according to a Wall Street Journal report on Sunday.

The move, which could be announced as early as Monday, would be a monumental reshaping of one of technology’s most important pioneers, which still has more than 300,000 employees and is on track to book $112-billion in revenue this fiscal year.

Under the reported plan, HP will separate its computer and printer businesses from its corporate hardware and services operations, and spin the unit off through a tax-free distribution of shares to stockholders next year.

A company spokeswoman declined to comment on the report.

HP’s printing and personal computing business accounts for about half its revenue and profit, according to last quarter’s financial results. It is not clear how many of HP’s more than 300,000 staff work in each of the planned businesses.

Founded by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard in a Palo Alto, California garage in 1939, HP was one of the companies that shaped Silicon Valley and the PC revolution. Lately, however, it has struggled to adapt to the shift towards mobile computing, and it has been overshadowed by younger rivals.

HP’s market value of $66-billion is dwarfed by Apple Inc’s $596-billion and Microsoft Corp’s $380-billion.

It has also been overtaken by aggressive Chinese PC maker Lenovo, which is now the world’s No. 1 PC maker by shipments. Dell, which is HP’s closest U.S. competitor and facing similar pressure, was taken private by founder Michael Dell last year.

SPINOFF TREND

HP is the latest in a line of companies, often under shareholder pressure, to spin off operations in an attempt to become more agile and to capitalize on faster-growing businesses. Last week online auction company eBay Inc said it would spin off electronic payment service PayPal.

HP and some of its investors have long considered such a move, the Journal report noted. As one of the older big computer companies, for several years HP directors have discussed ways to restructure to keep up with technology upstarts.

A source familiar with the matter said HP had held merger talks with storage and cloud-computing firm EMC recently, as a way of moving more forcefully into online services.

Many investors and analysts have called for a break-up of the company, or a sale of the personal computer business, so that HP could focus on the more profitable operations of providing computer servers, networking and data storage to businesses.

Company executives have said in the past that personal computers underpin and support the company as a whole. HP did consider spinning off its PC division in 2011 under then-CEO Leo Apotheker, but ultimately decided against the idea.

The PC business has shown signs of life in recent quarters, growing broadly geographically as businesses replace aging machines. Even so, the report of the plan to split off that business surprised some on Wall Street.

“I wonder what would have changed in the board’s thinking that previously they thought they needed computers together with services to properly serve large enterprises to now,” said Hudson Square Research analyst Daniel Ernst.

“PCs and printing remain in long-term secular decline, and while HP has managed that business well, the challenges for that portion of the split company will only grow as the demand continues to erode, and commoditization forces prices down further.”

The Journal, citing one of its sources, said the plans call for current HP CEO Meg Whitman to become CEO of the new so-called enterprise company and also be chairman of the PC and printer company.

Current HP lead independent director Patricia Russo would be chairman of the enterprise company. The CEO of the PC and printer company would be Dion Weisler, who is currently an executive in that division, the report said.
    rarsen, Shanerredflag and Corbu like this.
    10-05-14 06:48 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

JPMorgan: 76M households exposed in cyberbreach - CNET
    Some 7 million small businesses were also compromised in the computer attack over the summer -- far more than the 1 million customer accounts initially thought to have been breached. It also likely makes it one of the largest corporate hacks ever reported. JP Morgan is the largest bank in the US and the sixth-largest bank in the world.
    Data breach reported in late August, the JP Morgan hack was originally discovered in July a month after hackers were suspected of breaking in to the financial institution's servers.. Although JP Morgan reported that no customer financial data was stolen, the company said that the hackers made off with knowledge of most if not all software installed on a standard JP Morgan computer.
    10-05-14 07:09 PM
    The sad thing about jp Morgan is that there is software available that looks for this activity.

Either they don't use it or it failed. I hope it didn't fail.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 07:58 PM
    Great read, nice reminder of previous discussions:
    http://berryflow.com/2014/10/qnx-bla...net-of-things/

Eazzy Peazzy
    CDM76, rarsen, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    10-05-14 08:35 PM
    I haven't seen it officially stated, but is there any reason to believe this new GM OnStar wifi service is anything but QNX?

Apparently rolling out to the public shortly.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-05-14 08:57 PM
    I haven't seen it officially stated, but is there any reason to believe this new GM OnStar wifi service is anything but QNX?

Apparently rolling out to the public shortly.

Posted via CB10
    I thought they were going with Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think it's QNX foundation though.

Eazzy Peazzy
    CDM76, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-05-14 09:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    I just saw an add for their new SUV that shows the driver talking to SIRI. Then at the end, they mention "now with look-free SIRI". No mention of the Apple name though

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:59 PM
    I think it's QNX foundation though.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Just like with the apple infotainment set up?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:44 PM
    Don't think this was posted yet.

BlackBerry (BBRY) Continues to Take It on the Chin
    BlackBerry has been downgraded to underperform by Credit Suisse

http://investorplace.com/2014/10/bla.../#.VDId9DhMXZs

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:45 PM
    I'm glad BlackBerry decided to start naming phones again instead of just using numbers. Much easier to remember "Passport" or "Classic" over something like Q10, Z10, Z30, etc when someone asks what kind of phone is that.
    10-05-14 11:52 PM
    "Reviews" like this one are EXACTLY why BlackBerry needs high end specs. It says nothing about quality of components or how well the OS / devices actually work. Straight up spec comparison to make BlackBerry look bad.

http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/10/bla...cs-comparison/

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:10 AM
    I'm glad BlackBerry decided to start naming phones again instead of just using numbers. Much easier to remember "Passport" or "Classic" over something like Q10, Z10, Z30, etc when someone asks what kind of phone is that.
    Especially when they change the Z10, Z30,Q10 name every year or two. Passport is something the avg Joe will remember for longterm.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-06-14 12:11 AM
    Especially when they change the Z10, Z30,Q10 name every year or two. Passport is something the avg Joe will remember for longterm.

Posted via CB10
    Changing the number every year is fine. It's the lack of forethought in the naming convention that kills me. Z10 fine. Z30? Okay, implies better specs or newer version. Z3? Okay, cheaper version. What do you call next Gen Z10, Z30 or Z3?
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-06-14 04:27 AM
    Changing the number every year is fine. It's the lack of forethought in the naming convention that kills me. Z10 fine. Z30? Okay, implies better specs or newer version. Z3? Okay, cheaper version. What do you call next Gen Z10, Z30 or Z3?
    I agree. It's confusing and doesn't make sense. Passport 1, Passport 2, Classic 1, Classic 2, etc. That makes sense to me personally.
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-06-14 04:37 AM
    Facebook Messenger is preparing to introduce friend-to-friend payments

Facebook is set to introduce a friend-to-friend payment system to Messenger, according to some newly leaked screenshots.

Rumours of a move into mobile payments have been circling around Facebook for a while, and now some new images show off a new feature that'll allow you send money to a friend in just a couple of clicks, after registering a debit card and setting up a pin code.

It's not clear if Facebook intends to charge users a small fee for the service, but the source calculated that each transaction would cost Facebook between $40 and $50.
    Facebook Messenger is preparing to introduce friend-to-friend payments | News | TechRadar
    10-06-14 06:50 AM
    Good Monday Morning, Gang!

I just wanted to start this week off by sharing the following response from Amazon regarding the status of my back-ordered Passport, which was ordered in the US on 9/25:

"I am sorry for the inconvenience caused with this order number #102-0813981-xxxxx. I have checked your order and found your order has not shipped till yet.

So, I would like to inform you that this item is currently out of stock, many customers are looking for this item, we have already forwarded request to our supplier, once we get this item from them, we will update this information on website. I am sorry for the inconvenience. The availability of the items on amazon totally depends on manufacturers and distributors. We are only retailers. There is a huge demand for this item and manufacturer is not able to supply this item in large quantities and it will take buffer time to procure this item from them, we know that procuring this item from them will give us good business so we are trying our best to procure it as soon as possible. I hope you can understand."
    wojciechp, rarsen, jxnb and 11 others like this.
    10-06-14 06:57 AM
    10-06-14 07:27 AM
    Off Topic Warning:

Morgan, can you give us an update on your thoughts on IMG?

Thanks!
    10-06-14 09:15 AM
    Good Monday Morning, Gang!

There is a huge demand for this item and manufacturer is not able to supply this item in large quantities and it will take buffer time to procure this item from them, we know that procuring this item from them will give us good business so we are trying our best to procure it as soon as possible. I hope you can understand."
    Wow...that's an interesting statement from Amazon...'Huge Demand' - love it!!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:41 AM
    Gartner symposium asks the big questions about world?s technological future | IT Business

Another Canadian moment and a bit of surprise. BlackBerry made its pitch to a government audience. This in itself is no surprise – nor was the focus on security. Michael K. Brown, vice president of security product management and research, made the presentation. Brown is a real veteran of BlackBerry, dating back to the early days and he emphasized BlackBerry’s return to its original enterprise business focus. He reiterated BlackBerry’s focus on security and device management across the enterprise. But to hear the message from a veteran BlackBerry executive that the future was “not about handsets, not about technology nor about software” really brought home how profound the changes are that new CEO John Chen has brought to the organization. To anyone who hopes that BlackBerry will survive, this presentation certainly gave hope that the company was finding its way once again.
    10-06-14 09:52 AM
113,256 ... 29012902290329042905 ...