View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
  1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Confident they have sold 500,000 or will sell that many Passports in the first three weeks...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 12:40 AM
    The mad rush on the discount probably counted in the dozens, perhaps low hundreds and will have little overall impact. Got some fence sitters to make their minds up (points to self) . Expect somebody who forgot to limit the coupon will be in a bit of trouble, probably at DR, but it will be kept quiet

To quote PWH. "I meant to do that"

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    I personally know of 10 so I'd say we are definitely not in the dozens.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 01:03 AM
    HairGate: iPhone 6 Customers Are Complaining That The Phone Is Ripping Out Their Hair

Now, there's #HairGate. A 9to5Mac community post reveals that iPhone 6 customers are complaining on social media that their new phones keep ripping out chunks of their hair when they hold the phone up to their ear to take a call.�

It just doesn't seem to stop!!!!
    bungaboy, theRock1975 and georg4BB like this.
    10-05-14 01:37 AM
    HairGate: iPhone 6 Customers Are Complaining That The Phone Is Ripping Out Their Hair

Now, there's #HairGate. A 9to5Mac community post reveals that iPhone 6 customers are complaining on social media that their new phones keep ripping out chunks of their hair when they hold the phone up to their ear to take a call.�

It just doesn't seem to stop!!!!
    I can see the headline already: "Follically Challenged Man Launched Lawsuit. Apple takes three of man's last eight hairs resulting in inability to do comb over", man's wife launches second lawsuit stating "that gap in his comb over has ruined my sexual appetite".
    In related news, Rogaine setting up kiosks outside all Apple store locations.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 10-05-14 at 07:30 AM.
    10-05-14 07:12 AM
    I can see the headline already: "Follically Challenged Man Launched Lawsuit. Apple takes three of man's last eight hairs resulting in inability to do comb over", man's wife launches second lawsuit stating "that gap in his comb over has ruined my sexual appetite".
    In related news, Rogaine setting up kiosks outside all Apple store locations.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Thanks. Needed that laugh while sitting at work at this ungodly hour on a Sunday morning.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-05-14 08:24 AM
    Thanks. Needed that laugh while sitting at work at this ungodly hour on a Sunday morning.

Posted via CB10
    Hope you work near a Timmies.
    CDM76 and sidhuk like this.
    10-05-14 09:07 AM
    I'm still not seeing how you are inferring 200,000 passports sold = 2.5 million devices per quarter. I know that's the GOAL, but still need LOTS of other sales of passports and other devices to hit that goal. I'd love to see 3 million this quarter, but Z10 and Q10 are old and out of date. That leaves Z3, Z30 and Passport.

Posted via CB10

You do remember how many phones were sold in Q2 right? If they are even close to 2.4 MM handsets sold, the Passport will push that number much higher. I think it is conservative for BB to sell 500,000 Passports in Q3, they have almost 2 1/2 months and they sold 200,000 in just 6 hours. The handset sales numbers for Q2 were higher than Q1 so it makes sense that something well over "2.2 MM" makes sense here. We could see your 3.0 MM total units in Q3 no problem. I'm not sure why you think it isn't possible to sell 500,000 Passports in Q3?
    rarsen, bungaboy, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    10-05-14 09:28 AM
    Nah I'm sure it's possible morgan for 500k but everyone just a bit cautious because we all heard of exploding demand before. Safer these days to underestimate then wait to be surprised

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:34 AM
    ....... I'm not sure why you think it isn't possible to sell 500,000 Passports in Q3?
    At least hat much has probably been ordered by now

10-05-14 09:35 AM
    Morgan,

I think you shouldn't be so optimistic on handset sales for next quarter.

The z10,q10 and q5 I wouldn't expect heavy sales from, they are old and outdated.

Whatever sales we get on them will be low margin.

Z3 is new, but again low margin.

I think the passport has been well received and should have a good shelf life, but will take a while to ramp up.

What will help handset sales will be companies coming to BES and opting in for the BlackBerry handsets. I think this is why chen is placing so much importance on the classic as this should be the catalyst for the adoption.

Posted via CB10
    Komoto !!

Trouble is, you have to work with what you are given and BlackBerry has too many different phones in the space right now but each one of them means something to the companies bottom line. Every BB 10 they sell is another advertisement for BlackBerry, there are margins on those phones they just aren't as high as the Passport will be. I have no problem with BB selling all the phones that they can, not so much the BB9900 but even that one has its place in certain countries.

Now the big win of course is in new launches and the Z30 is making its way around the world with the Passport on its heals. At the end of the day, as long as a products' price is contributing to operational costs, we need to sell it. The media will look to see if we sold more phones in Q3 versus Q2 and that is the only bit of good news that we can give them right now. Sure, in 6 months we'll be praising BES10/12 but in the interim we need to show cash-flow positive, increased hardware sales, profits etc., in December! I think we will.

Just a side story, I owned a equipment manufacturing business building prototype equipment for the auto industry etc., along with that business, I rented out engineers and trades staff to the same companies for so awesome revenues. We never really made any money on the equipment side of the business because it takes far too many hours to invent things only to sell them to a limited market. But the money from the staff rental business make it all worthwhile as I was able to hire talented professionals to build my equipment and rent them out for really big bucks. Do the math, I paid $ 45.00/shr to build equipment (CDN) and received up to $ 125.00/hr (US) to rent them out, plus expenses. BlackBerry needs to sell as many handsets of any colour to keep the doors open and launch new product, sort of the same thing we went through. You don't want to sell low margin products but you know it opens doors to high margin products down that road. It will all make sense when they strike it rich with their first iBlackBerry!
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Korepab and 13 others like this.
    10-05-14 09:50 AM
    Not to speak out of turn but I think the combined sales of all BB10 devices + Passport = achieved goal of 2.5mm a quarter. Correct M8?

Eazzy Peazzy
    Just to clarify, they sold 2.4 MM handsets on sell through in our last report, that's all phones less the new Passport which will have 2 1/2 months of sales in Q3. The Q2 number, 2.4 MM, is up from the Q1 number so it is likely they can match that number in Q3 .... then you need to add in the Passport. It looks to me anyway that 500,000 passports for Q3 sounds very easy to do, am I the only one here that thinks they will sell more?
    sidhuk, rim4ever, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    10-05-14 09:56 AM
    Just to clarify, they sold 2.4 MM handsets on sell through in our last report, that's all phones less the new Passport which will have 2 1/2 months of sales in Q3. The Q2 number, 2.4 MM, is up from the Q1 number so it is likely they can match that number in Q3 .... then you need to add in the Passport. It looks to me anyway that 500,000 passports for Q3 sounds very easy to do, am I the only one here that thinks they will sell more?
    I agree, will probably be more, really depends on how many new markets the open in. Then it will calms down.

You know they are scrambling to get to as many new markets as they can. Would be happy to take a little from the lower margin Classic market.

How many Classics are essentially already sold to gov and enterprise ?

Chen is very confident about for a guy who thinks software and services are the future

10-05-14 10:17 AM
    I agree that Passport sales will certainly take the sales and revenues higher, but we shouldn't just add the Passport numbers to the previous quarter sales number, because many who have, or are going to buy the Passport were probably going to buy a Z10 or a Z30 or something.
    Let's hope though that most of the Passport owners are 'converts' who were never planning to buy the Passport or any other BlackBerry phone.
    Last edited by BlackistheBerry; 10-05-14 at 11:17 AM.
    10-05-14 10:18 AM
    Passport is the first good blackberry product available which can easily be ordered in the states and canada, and can be purchased from the multiple carriers in canada. This is the first product where blackberry can officially use android apps. Also first product with blend.
    I was forced to run around with other phones because BlackBerry didn't have a useful product to my needs. When Z30 got released, it was a good product but many many negatives about the company along with tight availability and no marketing what so ever. I think that situation has changed for better. Timing is right.
    I wouldn't be surprise if passport could reach one million sold in the quarter. Then again, looking at the past experience we all kind of shy away from over predicting. JC didn't have the same fear as us when he over ruled a six years old (passport) stalled program and showed a vision that why he is what he is to the point where he even surprised him self.
    What I have learned in my life that some people are just natural winners. Better not to bet against them.
    IMO playbook would have been a success if it was launched with today's app situation.
    Edit. Shopblackberry also sells to Mexico.
    Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    10-05-14 10:33 AM
    You do remember how many phones were sold in Q2 right? If they are even close to 2.4 MM handsets sold, the Passport will push that number much higher. I think it is conservative for BB to sell 500,000 Passports in Q3, they have almost 2 1/2 months and they sold 200,000 in just 6 hours. The handset sales numbers for Q2 were higher than Q1 so it makes sense that something well over "2.2 MM" makes sense here. We could see your 3.0 MM total units in Q3 no problem. I'm not sure why you think it isn't possible to sell 500,000 Passports in Q3?
    Don't get me wrong. I agree it's completely possible to see greater numbers sold. But some people where saying 2.5mm Passports. THAT I don't see. Passports specifically could easily reach 500k in a quarter. As I said, my estimate is 300k sold to date.

2.5mm TOTAL devices for the quarter is completely possible/realistic. As I said, maybe I just misread what was being said about 2.5mm Passports alone.

As for total numbers, the big assumption everyone is making (myself included) is that Passport sales are not cannibalizing from other BB10 sales. It is completely possible that with Passport sales being 500k we might see other device sales lower. I don't think it's likely, but it's definitely possible. So something to keep in mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:33 AM
    ........were probably going to but a Z10 or a Z30 or something......
    Or some might be like me, already have a phone they are happy with, on contract, and couldn't not buy it.

For for some there is an extra active BB10

10-05-14 10:53 AM
    @ Morgan:

Last Quarter they sold 2.4 million smartphones. Out of those about 1.7 million are BB10 devices and about 0.7 million are the old ones. You have to keep in mind that the number for the old models will decrease rapidly.

My estimate is that BlackBerry will sell about 300,000 OS7 devices and say 1,700,000 BB10 devices (without the Passport). I do not see any growth regarding the sales of Z10,Z30, Q10 or Q5. In fact those devices are (except for the Z30) outdated. So I believe that possible buyers rather buy the Passport instead a Q10. Decreasing sales of the Q10, Q5 or Z30 are offset by increasing sales of the Z3. At least that is what I expect...

So, this leaves us at 2,000,000 phones plus the Passport sales. I think it is possible for BlackBerry to sell about 500,000 Passports. We know that around 300,000 have been sold up to date. That leaves 200,000 more for the last two months and this should be possible to achieve!

A total of 2.5 million smartphone sold is a realistic number. If you are very optimistic regarding the Passport sales you could also reach 2.7 million or more. However, without sugarcoating I think the sales will be in a range of 2.4-2.6 million this quarter.
    CDM76 and StormieTwo like this.
    10-05-14 11:00 AM
    From the bit I've seen and from my personal experience, there may be less cannibalization than you expect. I moved from a fine Q10 to the Passport because I wanted a Passport, not because I needed a new phone. Friend bought one yesterday coming from iPhone...I was not interested in anything else in BlackBerry's stable currently but they sold me a phone. I would not have otherwise purchased anything from BlackBerry (or anyone) - it is the PP's unique features and benefits I bought. I'm sure from the threads around here I'm not alone.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:05 AM
    Same here. I would have kept my Z30. It is great phone. Instead I don't need ipad anymore. Even though used it very little when I had z30.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    10-05-14 11:24 AM
    Hey Morgan,

Great read as always but there is also the classic launch in this qtr of I'm not mistaken. That could easily add another 500k if companies and government are waiting on this

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:24 AM
    Great Passport review from BBIn...word is spreading:
    http://jdem.cz/bqssa9

Eazzy Peazzy
    10-05-14 11:35 AM
    Thanks, great review - comprehensive and clear. Too bad it's a BlackBerry site and not an independent review site...Typically they've just not covered half the awesome things about this phone and written it off as so so as a result. You can't keep a great product down...it'll succeed on its merits, not based on skimpy reviews. Thanks again for the link.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, La Emperor, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-05-14 11:56 AM
    Great Passport review from BBIn...word is spreading:
    BlackBerry Passport Review - The Best Professional Smartphone is Here! - BBin

Eazzy Peazzy

the sound quality is amazingly wicked..great comparison in the test.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 10-05-14 at 01:16 PM.
    10-05-14 01:03 PM
    Don't get me wrong. I agree it's completely possible to see greater numbers sold. But some people where saying 2.5mm Passports. THAT I don't see. Passports specifically could easily reach 500k in a quarter. As I said, my estimate is 300k sold to date.

2.5mm TOTAL devices for the quarter is completely possible/realistic. As I said, maybe I just misread what was being said about 2.5mm Passports alone.

As for total numbers, the big assumption everyone is making (myself included) is that Passport sales are not cannibalizing from other BB10 sales. It is completely possible that with Passport sales being 500k we might see other device sales lower. I don't think it's likely, but it's definitely possible. So something to keep in mind.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone has claimed that they could sell 2.5 MM passports in one quarter, not with just 10 weeks and a 200,000 unit start here. I believe I read that BB sold 900,000 OS7 Q2 units, that number won't drop more than 50% this quarter because they fill a void in many countries. From there, we have growing sales from Q1 to Q2 so to think that sales will not only stop growing, that they will in fact plummet isn't realistic. I see BB O7 down but Z3, Z10, Z30 and Q10 outside NA doing very well. I still think BB will sell close to 2.5 MM phones equivalent to Q2 and then you can add in the Passport and the Classic to that mix. You aren't giving them much credit for growing sales in Q2, now we'll see some real growth in new products too.

The BB market isn't uniform in terms of Canadian style metrics, we see different sales in the USA now (growth) and the rest of the world is just getting their hands on more BB 10 products every day. I also think that many buyers of the Passport didn't need a phone or weren't planning on a new phone, they got caught up in the newness of the Passport. There may well be a resurgence in the number of Classic phones purchased as many business and consumers have been waiting for it. Let's face it, I'm far more optimistic about new launches, both in terms of not hurting existing sales and bringing new consumers back to BlackBerry. Assuming that BB can sell the same amount of handsets that they sold in Q2 is not a stretch here as they are replacing BB 07 with BB 10 units without new products and growing the business in that light. Let's meet back here in December and look at those numbers! LOL
    bungaboy, rarsen, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    10-05-14 01:25 PM
    @ Morgan:

Last Quarter they sold 2.4 million smartphones. Out of those about 1.7 million are BB10 devices and about 0.7 million are the old ones. You have to keep in mind that the number for the old models will decrease rapidly.

My estimate is that BlackBerry will sell about 300,000 OS7 devices and say 1,700,000 BB10 devices (without the Passport). I do not see any growth regarding the sales of Z10,Z30, Q10 or Q5. In fact those devices are (except for the Z30) outdated. So I believe that possible buyers rather buy the Passport instead a Q10. Decreasing sales of the Q10, Q5 or Z30 are offset by increasing sales of the Z3. At least that is what I expect...

So, this leaves us at 2,000,000 phones plus the Passport sales. I think it is possible for BlackBerry to sell about 500,000 Passports. We know that around 300,000 have been sold up to date. That leaves 200,000 more for the last two months and this should be possible to achieve!

A total of 2.5 million smartphone sold is a realistic number. If you are very optimistic regarding the Passport sales you could also reach 2.7 million or more. However, without sugarcoating I think the sales will be in a range of 2.4-2.6 million this quarter.
    Well, I guess we'll know in 3 more months what the world market looks like. I disagree with you when it comes to BlackBerry's product line, in North America, you are right the suite of phones are dated but in the rest of the world, BB is just getting many of the products out there. I read that there were 900,000 BB07 Q2 units sold, in any case, they likely won't drop off a cliff to 300,000 without being replaced with Z3 and Q5/Q10 products making up the difference. At the same time, the world is about to get flooded with Passports and the Classic. I would consider it a surprise and a major disappointment if they only sold 2.5 MM handsets in Q3.

I'll make one more distinction, I believe that all BlackBerry phones with BB 10.3+ will become very popular and hold their own in sales worldwide for 2 solid quarters. I would describe BB 10.3 as the game changer for BlackBerry in calendar 2015. Let's see how it plays out, I'll stick with 3.0 MM plus units sold in Q3.
    rarsen, Corbu, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    10-05-14 01:37 PM
113,250 ... 29002901290229032904 ...