View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What is going on with BlackBerry and this coupon discounted passport selling on shop BlackBerry?
    The product is sold out and in high demand. Are they just now going to pics off all the people who paid full price?
    Seriously,wff are they doing????

Posted via CB10
    That is an excellent question and not one easily answered. I personally think that Chen has backed away from this phone, he is not raving about it to the press, it isn't part of his tenor with BB and the phone has been a surprise to the company in many ways. I wonder if their marketing program includes the rapid sale of this phone in a "stepped way", where they feel full price sales will end within X days followed by rapid sales at lower price levels before leveling off and bringing the next phone to market. He has mentioned that another iteration of this phone is already in the works, even Apple doesn't let it be known that the phone you just bought is about to be outdated ASAP. If Chen feels this phone has a limited life, or that it isn't a retail phone and therefore business will buy in bulk at lower prices anyway, we may not ever know what the program is for marketing it down the road. To be sure, we have all jumped on this one knowing that more are just around the cover, so there goes the retail side of the story, we moved off our Z10, Z30 and Q10 phones and committed to a Passport, .... we are officially out of the running for the Classic and others to come!
    10-04-14 10:23 AM
    For all we know, that code was available and working from day one. We only found out about yesterday because someone shared it with the forums. I can appreciate what your feelings are, but it's not like BlackBerry has a price cut on the page or an advertised sale price. Anyone who visits that site to buy, and doesn't visit BlackBerry fan sites, will not know of this promo code in any way. So, with that said, if you weren't a member of CB, and you have your new Passport, are you happy with it? Did you feel, at the time of purchasing, that you overpaid?
    When I called customer service yesterday, they have no idea that this promo exists. They took about half an hour to find out. They even asked me to send them a copy of the email where I was offered this code or give them the discounted order number which I have placed. I didn't wanna give your name CJ. LoL. And I didn't wanna give them the discounted order number incase they cancel it. Lol. So after half an our I hung up.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    10-04-14 10:34 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    It's going to backfire on them. People who purchased will want discount and those that bought at twenty five percent off are canceling or trying to return ordered or already purchased devices. Either way totally unnecessary as they have high demand product and can't meet the current demand. Wtf???

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 10:53 AM
    It's going to backfire on them. People who purchased will want discount and those that bought at twenty five percent off are canceling or trying to return ordered or already purchased devices. Either way totally unnecessary as they have high demand product and can't meet the current demand. Wtf???

Posted via CB10
    I understand you may be upset because you paid full-price. But I disagree with your rant. In a moment when the Passport sold 200.000 (for sure) pieces in a couple of days but BlackBerry struggle to gain traction into a lot of countries/carriers due to the fact that really a little of them are able to show a single Passport to the clients,Chen/BlackBerry launched this discount ticket. Why? Because a lot of people who are not sure if they are gonna buy it for sure have now bought that device, thinking that it is an absolute deal for that price ;-) Chen,as far as I understand, is trying badly to put as many PassPort as he can in the consumers' hands and that's a strategy. In a matter of a month there will be around 400.000-500.000 Passport in the wild and people will be more aware of BlackBerry again! Aaand, just in time for
    -Classic release
    -Passport finally available in most stores/ carriers in the world.
    I see his point, don't you? ;-)
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    10-04-14 11:04 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Was it an unauthorized leak or intentional on the part of BlackBerry? They need to maximize revenue and profit where they can and they have a product with order backlog of several hundred thousand.... people are waiting to buy at the original price!

Why do this??? Makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 11:23 AM
    The promo code no longer works. end of conversation.
    10-04-14 11:23 AM
    I understand you may be upset because you paid full-price. But I disagree with your rant. In a moment when the Passport sold 200.000 (for sure) pieces in a couple of days but BlackBerry struggle to gain traction into a lot of countries/carriers due to the fact that really a little of them are able to show a single Passport to the clients,Chen/BlackBerry launched this discount ticket. Why? Because a lot of people who are not sure if they are gonna buy it for sure have now bought that device, thinking that it is an absolute deal for that price ;-) Chen,as far as I understand, is trying badly to put as many PassPort as he can in the consumers' hands and that's a strategy. In a matter of a month there will be around 400.000-500.000 Passport in the wild and people will be more aware of BlackBerry again! Aaand, just in time for
    -Classic release
    -Passport finally available in most stores/ carriers in the world.
    I see his point, don't you? ;-)
    Yes! The Passport was brought out to get people to LOOK at BB10 and realize it's not just BBOS. I think the Passport selling out in Six hours may have surprised them and they used this code to quickly seed their second run of passports into the market. It's a good strategic move. I really can't feel sorry for anybody who missed the coupon and now has sour grapes. If you can afford to drop $600-700 on a new phone, just... because, you should be happy that you are in the position to do it! {Sell like hell, indeed}

BB10 4 ME
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-04-14 11:31 AM
    Was it an unauthorized leak or intentional on the part of BlackBerry? They need to maximize revenue and profit where they can and they have a product with order backlog of several hundred thousand.... people are waiting to buy at the original price!

Posted via CB10
    Even if the code no longer works, to me it makes sense. Breakeven has been achieved already I believe; the next step is to keep selling and putting some solid bases for future models. Marketing and ads costs A LOT. So, what if we, the people, become the 'advertisers' for BlackBerry? There is just the need of putting those devices into people hands: they'll love BB10 and will make others aware of its existence and its beauty
    sidhuk, La Emperor, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    10-04-14 11:35 AM
    BerryFlow:
    New information on BBM Meetings emerges
    BBM Meetings appears to be in the works for mobile devices and desktops
    10-04-14 11:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Someone had mentioned that it was an accessories discount and it never should have worked with the Passport. Looks like they made a mistake and some people benefited. And BlackBerry benefits by showing increased sales and more devices in the hands of ended users.

The only negative is that carriers may now reflect an unusually high rate of returns for this past few days.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-04-14 11:42 AM
    Even if the code no longer works, to me it makes sense. Breakeven has been achieved already I believe; the next step is to keep selling and putting some solid bases for future models. Marketing and ads costs A LOT. So, what if we, the people, become the 'advertisers' for BlackBerry? There is just the need of putting those devices into people hands: they'll love BB10 and will make others aware of its existence and its beauty
    True but this is a little soon for that. Usually they'd wait a couple months before lowering prices etc to stimulate sales

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    10-04-14 11:43 AM
    You are likely right, Chen promised us that he would be cash-flow positive on a sustainable basis in Fiscal 2015. He also stated that he is 1 quarter ahead of schedule so this upcoming quarter is huge. Can you name the areas where BB failed in Q2? It was in Services and Revenue! He will want to pump as much in Q3 as he can, so Sept. through to Nov. 2014 is a huge period for BlackBerry.

So if we sell 500,000 Passports at an ASP of $ 500 we have $ 250 Million in Revenue for that period, and, we are setting ourselves up for better Enterprise uptake too. It is in Q4 that we need to be firing on all cylinders with several BB 10.3 phones in the pipeline and increasing Revenues. Wouldn't everyone of us like to see a bump of $ 300 MM bucks flow to the bottom line? So our Revenue would go from $ 916 MM to $ 1.26 B !!! That would take margins higher, revenues through the roof, cash-flow positive and a PROFIT!!! Imagine what will happen to the stock price if we show a huge profit on much higher revenues, say a 30% increase in Revenues in just one quarter, nice. I think 400,000 - 500,000 for the Q3 period is very low, so do the math based upon what you think they can sell and add that number to the revenues for the period. Let's see, 700,000 units at an average ASP of $ 475.00 each ......................... or, 900,000 units at an ASP of ......................

I think we'll be okay.
    sidhuk, Corbu, cjcampbell and 16 others like this.
    10-04-14 11:52 AM
    What is going on with BlackBerry and this coupon discounted passport selling on shop BlackBerry?
    The product is sold out and in high demand. Are they just now going to pics off all the people who paid full price?
    Seriously,wff are they doing????

Posted via CB10
    Looks like that discount was for accessories and should have excluded all phones. Looks like they will honor them. Just got confirmation, but also got a "on back order" email

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    morganplus8, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    10-04-14 12:08 PM
    speculation is that they can only produce 20,000 units a day. lol 5 days a week. so 600,000 units before classic gets released. or 800,000 units if weekends included. although, passport is a killer device. after 5-7 days of use.
    10-04-14 12:09 PM
    I would already be very happy if we sell 500k in this quarter anymore is just the cherry on top!

speculation is that they can only produce 20,000 units a day. lol 5 days a week. so 600,000 units before classic gets released. or 800,000 units if weekends included. although, passport is a killer device. after 5-7 days of use.
    10-04-14 12:24 PM
    Frankly guys I'm pretty confident the Passport 15% discount was a mistake that a handful of soon to be Passport owners were able to take advantage of...it was almost certainly not a planned promo by BlackBerry...I agree that likely wouldn't make sense. Gotta love Crackberry for the bleeding edge!!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, theRock1975 and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-04-14 12:28 PM
    You are likely right, Chen promised us that he would be cash-flow positive on a sustainable basis in Fiscal 2015. He also stated that he is 1 quarter ahead of schedule so this upcoming quarter is huge. Can you name the areas where BB failed in Q2? It was in Services and Revenue! He will want to pump as much in Q3 as he can, so Sept. through to Nov. 2014 is a huge period for BlackBerry.

So if we sell 500,000 Passports at an ASP of $ 500 we have $ 250 Million in Revenue for that period, and, we are setting ourselves up for better Enterprise uptake too. It is in Q4 that we need to be firing on all cylinders with several BB 10.3 phones in the pipeline and increasing Revenues. Wouldn't everyone of us like to see a bump of $ 300 MM bucks flow to the bottom line? So our Revenue would go from $ 916 MM to $ 1.26 B !!! That would take margins higher, revenues through the roof, cash-flow positive and a PROFIT!!! Imagine what will happen to the stock price if we show a huge profit on much higher revenues, say a 30% increase in Revenues in just one quarter, nice. I think 400,000 - 500,000 for the Q3 period is very low, so do the math based upon what you think they can sell and add that number to the revenues for the period. Let's see, 700,000 units at an average ASP of $ 475.00 each ......................... or, 900,000 units at an ASP of ......................

I think we'll be okay.
    I started a discussion in the thread about the sale on this exact topic. People were giving me the "leaving money on the table" argument. I was trying to explain that margins are not BlackBerry's problem, it's sales. They had to drive sales artificially for the last two quarters by GIVING away Z10's and low margin Z3's. Better to boost the sales numbers at $500/$600 a piece than wait until demand is low and have to try to boost at $200 a piece.

Not to mention, if they can increase adoption now, even at a discounted price, they can accelerate the hype that is already surrounding the phone(/computer), ultimately delaying the long term value depreciation that we've seen from all other BB10 devices so far. Imagine BlackBerry still being able to charge $600 for this phone in a years time, like Apple does, because everyone still wants one. I don't know how many people said that they weren't sure they were going to buy it until they saw this deal.

All that being said, I do think it was a mistake by DigitalRiver and I wouldn't be surprised to see them have to eat most of the costs.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    10-04-14 12:29 PM
    I am fine with 250K sales this month including launch. And 100k next month for total of 350k units revenue on top of the existing revenue. Looks like BlackBerry has surpassed those numbers already.
    Not sure what will keep the stock price down other than the organized shorts?
    I waited almost two years to get this pre storm situation in a good way.
    Not going to suck in to the market makers BS and reduce my position now.
    There is so much in pipeline beside passport which is being overlooked.
    Passport does have the power to change many people's mind that BlackBerry is capable of thinking out side the box and can deliver a solid product. Which will benefit the future products.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    10-04-14 12:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Probaby and error and it is not widely known. BlackBerry, Digital River can kill that code any time.

BlackBerry main hardware goal is still to get BB10 phones in as many hands as possible. The ones who got this discount probably counts in the hundreds. Loss if some profit but considering the PP has been a pleasant surprise BlackBerry will be ok.

Waiting for this code to be revoked or limited as soon as somebody wakes up though, wil it go to Monday?

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    10-04-14 12:46 PM
    I started a discussion in the thread about the sale on this exact topic. People were giving me the "leaving money on the table" argument. I was trying to explain that margins are not BlackBerry's problem, it's sales. They had to drive sales artificially for the last two quarters by GIVING away Z10's and low margin Z3's. Better to boost the sales numbers at $500/$600 a piece than wait until demand is low and have to try to boost at $200 a piece.

Not to mention, if they can increase adoption now, even at a discounted price, they can accelerate the hype that is already surrounding the phone(/computer), ultimately delaying the long term value depreciation that we've seen from all other BB10 devices so far. Imagine BlackBerry still being able to charge $600 for this phone in a years time, like Apple does, because everyone still wants one. I don't know how many people said that they weren't sure they were going to buy it until they saw this deal.

All that being said, I do think it was a mistake by DigitalRiver and I wouldn't be surprised to see them have to eat most of the costs.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that "DigitalRiver" made a mistake, I think they are just one more part of the puzzle in taking the product to market and capturing that all important 80% (easy money versus the last 20%) of those who want to buy a BlackBerry phone. They got plenty of us off the fence yesterday and this quarter is everything for BB. The price of the phone is not important, they start at a suggested $ 599.00/US because all of those phones are tied to a carrier package for most retail customers. Some of us buy the phone out-right but not many do so the deal of the day goes to CB BlackBerry freaks not to the general public. Think of what percentage of hardware lovers get the phone as part of a carrier promotion. I believe that Chen knew the correct formula to get as many handsets in the hands of buyers on both the enterprise side (contract) and the retail side (contract) and also include cash buyers in the mix. We need to see 700,000 units in Q3 to add to our 2.4 million sell through units of other models and catch some Classic as well. He could be setting us up for a very Merry Christmas with blowout revenues.

I don't care if he sells all the phones at one ASP as long as there is a profit on every unit that he sells while capturing that easy 80% of the available market for this product. Sure the margins will drop but they were going to drop anyway and he has a self-imposed deadline to get revenues up and turn the media, I think it is playing out well.
    10-04-14 12:52 PM
    As we have seen in many threads, seems that the public is very surprised and pleased when they see a Passport, seems that people get impressed with the phone when they see it, hold it, and know it's features in the wild, so Blackberry might want to get as many Passports on the streets beceause the device is selling itself, so the more there are out there, more "cousins" can get impressed by it, mor contagious it can get
    10-04-14 12:52 PM

I think we'll be okay.
    Hi Morgan,

Good to hear from you!!! How can we add Passport sales to the bottom line, if their services revenue is still on the decline? I know their software revenue will rise (sooner or later, depending on a potential EZ pass migration stop), but how can we offset a 10-15 percent decline in service revenue with an 'only' expected 500 million software figure + 100 million for BBM, on an annualized basis? Service revenue still represented 422 million for Q2, which would be 1,685 million annualized. That would be a gap of over 1 billion... Or am I missing something here?
    Corbu, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    10-04-14 12:55 PM
    As we have seen in many threads, seems that the public is very surprised and pleased when they see a Passport, seems that people get impressed with the phone when they see it, hold it, and know it's features in the wild, so Blackberry might want to get as many Passports on the streets beceause the device is selling itself, so the more there are out there, more "cousins" can get impressed by it, mor contagious it can get
    I didn't buy a passport because I like the format, size or price, I bought it because I want to own something totally different then everyone else. This phone has killer specs but it is immediately something different to everyone out there. I have been asked so many times if I have the new iPhone or an Android etc., now, for the first time, no one is going to know what I'm using unless they spotted it on TV. I will have no problem promoting this phone wherever I go, and for me, this alone was worth the investment in BlackBerry. Can't wait to get it and show the world what BB can do.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 10-04-14 at 01:21 PM.
    dusdal, rarsen, Corbu and 11 others like this.
    10-04-14 12:59 PM
    10-04-14 01:18 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Good to hear from you!!! How can we add Passport sales to the bottom line, if their services revenue is still on the decline? I know their software revenue will rise (sooner or later, depending on a potential EZ pass migration stop), but how can we offset a 10-15 percent decline in service revenue with an 'only' expected 500 million software figure + 100 million for BBM, on an annualized basis? Service revenue still represented 422 million for Q2, which would be 1,685 million annualized. That would be a gap of over 1 billion... Or am I missing something here?
    Hi _dimi !!!

Always good to hear from you! Yeah, Passport sales flow to the bottom line as a profitable handset (what?? ) and those margins will look good too as these phones are replacing dead product sales. Chen wants 2.5 million handsets per quarter, Passport will give us that number in Q3, so he looks good there. Yes, Services revenue is on the decline, but, unit sales of handsets jumping by 25%, revenues jumping by 30% all in just one quarter and you can see where Services can be a winner too. Many enterprise customers are looking at BES10/BES12 and all of this falls into the Q4 quarter. It isn't difficult to see 15 - 25% uptake in all of those who migrated to BES10/12, if that occurs, you have your Services depletion slowing down and/or replaced entirely. Software is growing (1%) in Q2 and that will continue so it comes down to Services as you so rightly pointed out.

I think what we might be missing here is the cash-flow component of the equation, this handset will generate some awesome cash-flow as well as our first sustainable profit for Q3. The end of the year and early into the New Year is when the stock will soar. The numbers will be great in December and the only thing left to sell is Enterprise on why BlackBerry is the complete package. This whole story is premised on what we know today, not will happen tomorrow. I can see revenues popping big time in December Q and those margins will still be much higher than Apple leading many investors to dream of a comeback in the company after all. How will the media treat the numbers if the only negative is Services with a solution in place for the following quarter?
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    10-04-14 01:20 PM
113,250 ... 28982899290029012902 ...