View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The german magazine Computer-Bild made an iPhone bending test and wrote an open letter to Apple.

Result: "Apple�s German PR department reacted in a 'disturbing way' to his magazine�s iPhone 6 Plus bend test, writes Computer Bild editor in chief Axel Telzerow in an open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook. �Instead of answering the questions about why the iPhone 6 Plus is so sensitive, a manager called Computer Bild and told us, that [we] will not get any testing devices and no invites to official events any more.�

Here is the thread for discussion: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-truth-963817/

I want to add, that the 'Bild-Zeitung' is by far the dominant tabloid in Germany. Computer-Bild is part of it and has a circulation of 800000.
    Banning this magazine shows, how huge Apples hybris already is.
    CDM76, cjcampbell, jxnb and 9 others like this.
    10-02-14 02:35 AM
    I've heard about apple doing this before. Bullying newspapers and magazines and bloggers to "correct" what they print if they want any devices or invites from apple in future.

Nice to see someone standing up to them. Shows how the tides are turning. Bullying journalists to say what you want has worked for years but now it could cause another controversy of epic proportions.

The tides are a changing. Let's hope BlackBerry will be positioned to take advantage of this

Here's another link about above German article. Looks like other media is picking up on it too. http://rt.com/usa/192296-apple-bendgate-bild-axel/

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, rarsen, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    10-02-14 02:47 AM
    Even BlackBerry banned in the past (I think BGR). But there is a difference: Computer-Bild is generally pro Apple and was supporting Apple in the past, like most big magazines. Now there is one single issue they critizise and BANG.
    BGR iwas known this time for spreading plain disinformation regarding BlackBerry and calling this company dead over and over again.

But banning is stupid anyway - it's a sign of nervousness and weakness.

To bring it back on topic: What might Apple's enterprise customers might think about it? Is that's the way Apple deals with issues? Denial, smothering facts, banning? That's not the culture of transparency and service, enterprise customers need. I hope this is an eye-openener and helps Blackberry in the enterprice space.
    jxnb, rarsen, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    10-02-14 04:33 AM
    True.

Very true. Now that I think about it - yes, I probably would have put all that money into another speculative investment in hopes of making 10x!

But damn it.. I lost ALL my savings. Every cent I had saved since I had started working! But yeah, plenty of more years to go. I like to think I am wiser now. For example: I've only purchased strike $12 this time. I got fewer quantity of options but relatively less risk too.

If I had more money, I'd have invested in multiple stocks this time. But I only had enough that it made no sense to split even this small amount into multiple stocks. Just purchased long term expiry options for strike $12
    I really think you should stop with the options trading for a while. If these ones don't work out, you take yourself to zero yet again. Buy regular stock and play with that for a while until you have "spare" cash to toss into options. Even if you make a bad trade, you've still got money to reinvest, or trade, or put into another money savings/making venture. What you're doing is playing roulette. The previous two times you put all your money on one number and lost... now you've chosen to let it ride on black (always bet on black..hehehe). This is still a win/lose scenario but "less risk".
    10-02-14 05:45 AM
    BlackBerry Taps B-toB Agency Gyro to Remake Its Brand | Agency News - Advertising Age

With 'Work Wide' Campaign, the Fallen Smartphone Champ Promotes a New Device, Enterprise Image

BlackBerry wants to resurrect itself as a business brand. And it has tapped a top b-to-b agency to lead the charge.

Following a pitch, BlackBerry selected gyro as its global agency of record to promote BlackBerry Passport, its first new handset under CEO John Chen. The agency will also be responsible for communicating the company's new focus on enterprise software and services.

BlackBerry previously worked with BBDO New York and London.

The dethroned smartphone brand picked gyro for its flexibility and international scope, said Robert Glen, senior director of global brand marketing at BlackBerry. Gyro, which has run campaigns for HP and SAP, will spread its BlackBerry work across six offices spanning the globe. On Wednesday, the agency announced plans to acquire its French competitor Ailleurs Exactement.

Gyro's appointment comes on the heels of a massive overhaul at the device manufacturer, which recently swapped its CEO, COO and CMO amid a bid to reshape its business around enterprise solutions. "The No. 1 objective is making BlackBerry synonymous with work," Mark Wilson, the senior VP-marketing, who began in January, told Ad Age in July.

Christoph Becker, CEO of gyro, called his task of re-launching the brand "any advertiser's dream." The campaign, dubbed "Work Wide," leans on the Passport's broad screen -- built for business functions like reading email and spreadsheets -- and the declaration the device is more secure than other smartphones. "If you're not doing serious business, then you can take any other phone," Mr. Becker said.

Still, Mr. Becker noted the pitch isn't aimed at replacing consumer's smartphones; they can still have an iPhone for play and a BlackBerry for work. That keeps the company out of the pitched battle in the category between Apple, Samsung and leaner competitors. "That war is not on their doorstep," Mr. Becker said.

With Passport's debut, BlackBerry saw a welcome boost, announcing that it sold 200,000 devices in the first week. Its most recent quarterly earnings beat estimates. And some analysts see a brighter future for the firm with its software and services, which accounted for 54% of its revenue last quarter. Conversely, Apple generated 88% of its revenue from hardware.

Others are less optimistic. Jean-Louis Gass�e, a venture capitalist (and former Apple executive), wrote that "[Mr.] Chen's endgame is to sell the company, either whole or, more likely, in parts."

Remaking BlackBerry is a mammoth task. It is still widely perceived as outdated. And bring-your-own-device improvements have made companies more comfortable with employees using personal smartphones. In July, Apple announced a partnership with IBM to build apps tailored to enterprise, a huge blow to BlackBerry.

"Apple felt that they had an inefficiency in their enterprise story," Mr. Glen said. "It reinforces our story that enterprise is a great market to be in."

BlackBerry spent $95 million in measured media last year, according to figures from Kantar Media. In 2010, the year Apple hurdled the company in smartphone shipments, per IDC, Blackberry (then R.I.M.) spent $161 million in measured media.

A portion of BlackBerry's 2013 spending went to expenses related to Alicia Keys, the singer who was named global creative director for the company. Ms. Keys is no longer with BlackBerry, Mr. Glen said. Instead, the company is relying on testimonials from dedicated celebrity users, like Formula One racer Nico Roseberg and media titan Arianna Huffington.

"This is not only about launching a brand; this all about bringing an entire company back," said Mr. Becker. "Who doesn't like a good comeback?"
    rarsen, bungaboy, georg4BB and 7 others like this.
    10-02-14 08:26 AM
    Awesome: BlackBerry Passport Branded Formula One Car | N4BB

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-passport-f1-710x434.jpg

Customers residing in the UAE received a nice little BlackBerry presentation recently. At the Gitex event in Dubai, where you can get crazy cheap deals on electronics, BlackBerry was demoing the new Passport.

BlackBerry had a Formula One race car completely skinned to advertise the BlackBerry Passport. Interested people were able to sit in the Formula One car and play a racing game. Though, we’re not sure which one.

Additionally, it wasn’t clear whether or not this BlackBerry Passport branded Formula One car promotion was in conjunction with BlackBerry’s deal with Mercedes AMG Petronas team. Nonetheless, it sure is a pretty sight.
    georg4BB, bungaboy, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    10-02-14 08:41 AM
    BlackBerry Passport Launched In India With Digital Wallet Feature - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

And found this to be of interest:

The Passport comes with pre-installed digital wallet called HotRemit. India's money remittance industry is a huge opportunity.

[...]

Aside from its other great features, the BlackBerry Passport comes with HotRemit, a digital wallet app developed by DigitSecure. HotRemit will allow users to receive and send money to their BBM and Facebook contacts too.

The high-end categorization of the BlackBerry Passport means its target demographics are medium-to-high income people in India. Consequently, highly paid professionals with little time to pay bills or shop for weekly grocery supplies will definitely appreciate HotRemit.

The remittance feature of HotRemit is also great for BlackBerry Passport users. India is the biggest receiver of international remittances. India received more than $70 billion remittance money from abroad in 2013. Overseas workers and Indian immigrants might be inspired to buy the BlackBerry Passport so they can use HotRemit's remittance feature to send money to their relatives in India.

The local remittance industry in India is also a multi-billion industry that's growing at a compound rate of 12%. The local remittance industry is estimated to be worth $20.3 billion in India this year.
    bungaboy, rarsen, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    10-02-14 08:47 AM
    BLACKBERRY STUDY REVEALS PRODUCTIVITY EVOLUTION UNDERWAY; ACHIEVEMENT AND BALANCE CORE TO SUCCESS

- Survey finds 67 percent of work/business smartphone end-users are 'always looking to improve their productivity' - Productivity has been redefined from managing a to-do list to achieving more in their careers, balancing work and personal life, and contributing to their communities and society - BlackBerry smartphone users found to be more motivated by achievement than those using competitor smartphones

News Sources - The Globe and Mail
    10-02-14 08:49 AM
    10-02-14 08:58 AM
    Great to see the SP is holding up nicely :|
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    10-02-14 09:22 AM
    Lol, mine is awaiting moderation too. You're more likely to make it through though. Maybe I shouldn't have started with "your website is a joke"?

Posted via CB10
    So I threw one up there as well. there is one (1) comment that has made it passed the moderator... What The...?!
    usual censor ...
    Looks like they were only slow to edit ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    georg4BB, sidhuk, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    10-02-14 09:50 AM
    What is going on ? - 5% and dropping like a rock...

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    10-02-14 10:01 AM
    OK, the market is down, but I'm not seeing any news or fundamental reason for a -5.5% drop in BBRY's share price. Volume isn't low but it isn't high either.

News has been pretty positive lately, with some upgrades from analysts. Is this a heavy hitter hunting for stops by shorting the stock? Or has something hit the wire that I haven't seen yet?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:05 AM
    Good question...hate to see ghost drops like this...-5% on no news? Thoughts anyone?

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    10-02-14 10:09 AM
    True.

Very true. Now that I think about it - yes, I probably would have put all that money into another speculative investment in hopes of making 10x!

But damn it.. I lost ALL my savings. Every cent I had saved since I had started working! But yeah, plenty of more years to go. I like to think I am wiser now. For example: I've only purchased strike $12 this time. I got fewer quantity of options but relatively less risk too.

If I had more money, I'd have invested in multiple stocks this time. But I only had enough that it made no sense to split even this small amount into multiple stocks. Just purchased long term expiry options for strike $12
    Well, first and above all, I'm sorry for your lost.

Yet, I believe investing all your savings shouldn't have been an option to start with. This is way too much aggressive and inherently (yay! I've been waiting for years to place this word in a sentence !) extremely dangerous. I must confess I'm not familiar with options/strikes, thus my very basic investing "technique" (if I dare qualify it like that).

1/ My personal reasonable amount of invested money is 10-15% of my available cash at the moment I invest (the $ left goes on "daddy's plans", just to avoid inflation or gain some fiscal advantage).
    2/ I buy for a price I can actually see, not a future price.
    3/ I always keep control of my invested money and if things go really wrong, I can pull off instantly. Sure, given the 1/ ... I can have balls of steel and accept large fluctuations.
    4/ there, I should say that I will always take my benefits over -say- 30% of positive variation. But, hey ... I didn't so I will not suggest to "do what I write, not what I say". In that particular case (BBRY), I'm immeasurably (damm, that's a second word on my list !) long and - of course - point 1/ still applies.

This is why I'm a little worried when I hear that you consider other strikes ... I guess the immediate return rate could be greater, but - you paid to learn it - the risk is not proportional, it's even greater.
    I'm no one to give an advice for investing, but I'm pretty sure you'd feel more comfortable with point 2. Buy on opportunity, see how it goes ...

Again, I repeat, this is a very personal approach and advanced traders would probably laugh in front of such a conservative approach. But if you're like me, a rookie, this may prevent large wounds, those you don't want to be exposed to.

Perfect timing for a reminder (this is in OP), long time due :

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.

Disclaimer : By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. You have to perform your own research. Positions, experiences, questions and suggestions made in this thread are personal views and NOT authorized investment instructions. Be aware that You can lose everything and neither I nor any contributor in this thread will be responsible for this in any circumstance.
    rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-02-14 10:11 AM
    Buying op?

Flicked out via Zed30
    10-02-14 10:12 AM
    Good question...hate to see ghost drops like this...-5% on no news? Thoughts anyone?
    If I have learned anything from this thread it is that when BBRY goes up it's due to fundamentals and when it goes down then the shorts are to blame.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-02-14 10:13 AM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.
    This can be achieved with a very cautious approach (see above) and we try to hardly suggest it.
    P.S: we are mostly BlackBerry die hard consumers, so you're right, but we're kinda 'next level' guys
    CDM76 and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-02-14 10:21 AM
    Just a guess.
    Downgrades/upgrades are made for now. Passport is launched, reviews written. No news are expected for the next days. Perfect timing to manipulate the SP. But are shorts really so powerful to trigger a drop of 6% on no news?
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-02-14 10:22 AM
    Just a guess.
    Downgrades/upgrades are made for now. Passport is launched, reviews written. No news are expected for the next days. Perfect timing to manipulate the SP. But are shorts really so powerful to trigger a drop of 6% on no news?
    A sell off like that could be on leaked info ahead of its release... No chance that Premier Watsa is dumping down is there ? What was the agreement he had to no hold over a certain percentage, which he had to comply with within a year or so?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:24 AM
    What is going on?
    10-02-14 10:35 AM
    Guys, you know what to do, don't you ?
    Which one of the fall flagships would you get?
    georg4BB, lech31, smart548 and 9 others like this.
    10-02-14 10:38 AM
    Did!
    Guys, you know what to do, don't you ?
    Which one of the fall flagships would you get?
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-02-14 10:44 AM
    Done
    StormieTwo and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-02-14 10:53 AM
    JC commentary on CNBC:
    BlackBerry CEO: Passport isn't an iPhone killer?and that's OK?commentary.

BlackBerry Passport isn't an iPhone killer—and that's OK
    John Chen, executive chair and CEO of BlackBerry

Last week's launch of our new BlackBerry Passport handset provides a clear indication of BlackBerry's singular focus: We are innovating mobile technology for serious users who care about serious productivity.

From those who get what we do – and there are many – the feedback so far has been excellent. Our core audience is excited to see a smartphone geared not just to their desires, but to their needs. For those who don't get BlackBerry Passport or blithely write it off as "weird," we'll give them some time to come around. We know that different isn't always easy, but we do know it's the only way to stand out.

And, in that sense, BlackBerry Passport sets the tone for what we do and how we do it. We don't expect to sell a handset to everyone and don't expect to take down the consumers who love to play games on their iPhones. But we do want to provide an experience that caters to the mobile professional – anyone who relies on their device to do their jobs. As I like to say, most smartphones are better designed for helping users kill time than making the most of it.

Innovations with the BlackBerry Passport focus on things that matter: advances in battery life, an innovative screen, a multi-function keyboard and seamless synchronization of contacts and documents across devices, and aggregation of all messages (email, text, social, etc.) into one actionable hub.

What also matters is the innovation that goes beyond just the device. BlackBerry Blend, debuting first on the BlackBerry Passport, does that by seamlessly allowing access to documents, messages, email, contacts and more across any device on any other operating system, including iOS and Android. It sounds like a simple concept, but it becomes a powerful tool for those who always need access to their data – securely.

So when a BlackBerry Passport user does finally get to her desk, she can pull up the spreadsheet she's been crunching on her handset and easily switch to her desktop screen and send it to her colleagues.

Those may not inspire the masses to line up at midnight but, for users who burn the midnight oil, those features are essential to achieving the results they desire every day. These are the people for whom BlackBerry Passport is designed – and those are the people BlackBerry is staking our future on.

So we are listening closely to them.

Over the summer, for example, BlackBerry (in collaboration with research firm GfK) surveyed more than 9,500 people around the world who use their smartphones on the job. The project offered a great chance to gain deeper insight into the features and functions ambitious professionals need and want in their mobile devices.

The survey showed that nearly 70 percent of respondents are always looking for ways to improve their productivity and be more efficient. That's not surprising, considering the average professional smartphone user estimates mobility saves five hours a week by giving them the flexibility to work where and when they want and to always be within reach.

But smartphones designed for mass audiences often come up short for professional use. The biggest needs cited by our survey respondents: security, battery life and durability. The biggest barriers: battery life, connectivity and ease of typing.

The paltry battery life of most smartphones is not surprising, as anyone who's ever tried to find an open outlet in an airport knows all too well. What was surprising to me, however, was that battery life ranked dead even with security at the top of business users' needs; 71 percent said they need their work device to be secure and the same percentage said they need it to stay charged at the end of a long day. More than a third complained that an inferior typing experience hindered their ability to be productive.

Security, battery life and typing – those have always been BlackBerry differentiators and they are the core competencies professional users still expect from their devices. And let's be honest: Most smartphones on the market are inadequate at meeting various (and sometimes all) of those basic technical needs.

Not so easily tested by reviewers, though, was security. But for us, that's a given. It's why our end-to-end solution is the only mobile platform to earn the highest level of approval for use by the Defense Department, and why we're trusted by the most powerful governments and leaders around the world.

Ultimately, what our research told us is that there's a pronounced need for a different kind of thinking about mobile devices that help professionals drive change. As we turn around our business – and our latest results show that we're making great progress – the mobile professional is where we are staking our claim.

A lot has been written about BlackBerry Passport's unique form factor. Form follows function and the function of BlackBerry Passport is to help busy professionals make time, not kill it. So while BlackBerry Passport stands out in a crowded field of generic clones, we'd like to think BlackBerry helps our users stand out, too.

John Chen is chief executive officer of BlackBerry and executive chair of the company's board of directors. Follow BlackBerry on Twitter at@BlackBerry4Biz.
    10-02-14 10:54 AM
113,256 ... 28912892289328942895 ...