View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    /start rant or whatever

You know, around the time Z10 was released, I had made my first ever stock purchase.

I put everything I had in savings (of approx 6 years of employment since I finished school) and amassed some 500 lots of BlackBerry calls expiring in 2014, strike 35!

I was feeling very smug, like I was sitting on gold mine and people around me were mindless and beyond stupid to ignore such an opportunity even when I was shouting at top of my lungs - BUY BUY BUY BlackBerry, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get rich. Needless to say, joke turned out to be on me, all 500 lots expired worthless in January of this year.

Starting from ZERO cash savings, I again started putting money in trading account 10 months ago. And I've now managed to amass only 16 lots of BBRY expiring in 2016 January, strike $12 :'(

Actually, first I swore, I will never ever touch BBRY stock again. But then I don't know if it's my love for BB products or what, I felt like, sure I made a mistake last year by being overtly optimistic. But this year, I will be conservative in my stock-price estimate. Although I am still hoping that there would be some unexpected event (short squeeze or break through) which would take this stock through the roof and to $100 but I am only betting that it'd be atleast $12.

Things would have been so different if BBRY had reached my strike price in 2014! Now even if BBRY goes to $40 by 2016, I would just barely recover lost savings :'(

All that said, trading in BBRY stock was my first experience of purchasing a stock/option and it turned out to be a very expensive lesson.

/END rant or whatever
    That's a bitter pill. The advice I always give folks that want to do this is, never put more than 10% of your portfolio into one equity, and when you are starting out, buy market and sell market. This forces you to keep a close eye, which accelerates the learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 02:34 PM
    Things would have been so different if BBRY had reached my strike price in 2014!
    Perhaps. However, do you really think you would have pocketed your easy January earnings and put everything in a more conservative investment? It's more likely that you still would have taken the opportunity to do it again for even larger stakes.

You learned the best kind of investing lesson - losing everything early on. Otherwise you just keep letting it ride until you get taken out.
    10-01-14 02:43 PM
    Talk about excitement about BlackBerry Passport in this great review... and this is coming from an iPhone user.

http://www.discovery.ca/Video?vid=453752

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    10-01-14 03:44 PM
    For the record:
    BlackBerry Names Former Mobile 365 CEO to Board - WSJ

TORONTO— BlackBerry Ltd. Wednesday appointed the former chief executive of mobile messaging company Mobile 365 to its board, marking Chief Executive John Chen's latest move to tap the expertise of former colleagues as part of his turnaround effort for BlackBerry.

The new director, Michael Daniels, headed Mobile 365 when Sybase Inc., under Mr. Chen, acquired Mobile 365 in 2006. Mr. Chen is credited with turning around Sybase before its ultimate sale to Germany's SAP SE for $5.8 billion in 2010. Sybase's acquisition of Mobile 365 was considered a risky bet at the time, but paid off by helping the database software company benefit from the surge in mobile communications for personal and business use.

Mr. Chen hopes to achieve similar success at BlackBerry by refocusing the Canadian company on selling devices, software and security services to governments and companies. Part of that plan includes surrounding himself with a core group of former Sybase, SAP and Mobile 365 executives. Mr. Daniels is the only BlackBerry board member from Sybase or Mobile 365, but a majority of BlackBerry's top executives previously worked at either Sybase or SAP.

In a recent interview, Raj Nathan, who worked with Mr. Chen for 25 years, including at Sybase, said Mr. Chen chooses people he knows because he doesn't want "executives who are second-guessing each other or have selfish motives because there isn't time" for distraction.

Mr. Daniels wasn't immediately available for comment.

His appointment, which boosts BlackBerry's board size to seven directors, is also a sign that Mr. Chen is committed to his turnaround attempt rather than seeking a buyer for the company.

"BlackBerry…will benefit greatly from Mike's broad technology experience and specifically his long-standing cyber security expertise," Mr. Chen said in a statement.

Mr. Daniels is joining the board after BlackBerry director Bert Nordberg, a veteran of the telecommunications industry from Sweden, stepped down in May. Mr. Nordberg had been assigned in 2013 to the board committee tasked with seeking strategic alternatives for BlackBerry, which at the time included a possible sale of the company. Last year, BlackBerry failed to find a buyer, triggering Mr. Chen's hiring and a shake-up of the company's executive ranks.
    10-01-14 03:53 PM
    Talk about excitement about BlackBerry Passport in this great review... and this is coming from an iPhone user.

http://www.discovery.ca/Video?vid=453752

That's Lucas from the Daily Planet show in Toronto. He's a bit of an iPhone fanboy but he's always given BlackBerry a fair shake. He was pretty enthused when the z10 came about

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:54 PM
    Slow day.
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hl0Er1nC2TU&feature=youtu.be[/url]
    As soon as I saw that Passport in a pair of little hands..... +++++1

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 04:12 PM
    That's Lucas from the Daily Planet show in Toronto. He's a bit of an iPhone fanboy but he's always given BlackBerry a fair shake. He was pretty enthused when the z10 came about
    As much as we like - with reason - to get on the case of the so-called bloggers/reviewers who spill the same old same old about BBRY, I wish there was a way to communicate - en masse - to the people like this reviewer that we appreciate the fair shake that they give to BBRY and their open-mindedness. I doubt they get too much praise if any for having the courage of their convictions.
    bungaboy, rarsen, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    10-01-14 04:19 PM
    Wow

Discovery - Video

rarsen, Mr BBRY and bungaboy like this.
    10-01-14 04:32 PM
    As much as we like - with reason - to get on the case of the so-called bloggers/reviewers who spill the same old same old about BBRY, I wish there was a way to communicate - en masse - to the people like this reviewer that we appreciate the fair shake that they give to BBRY and their open-mindedness. I doubt they get too much praise if any for having the courage of their convictions.
    He's got a Twitter account we can thank him on.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DP_TechLucas

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052 | Bell | via CB10
    10-01-14 04:39 PM
    He's got a Twitter account we can thank him on.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DP_TechLucas

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052 | Bell | via CB10
    Thanks. Just did that

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    10-01-14 04:57 PM
    10-01-14 05:11 PM
    Here here.
    http://bgr.com/2014/10/01/blackberry...phone-android/

Jebus, that cluck at BGR sure sounds **** hurt.....I guess truth hurts

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 05:33 PM
    He did it again.
    Shoot the ball, not the player.
    Will the second burn teach him the danger of ego-driven posts like this? I was surprised James hosted him at N4BB.
    This typical and over exposed rant will never been anything but a pain for BlackBerry... oh, ok, also some minute lasting pleasure for us.
    But at the end of the day, as the movie title says :"post-coitum, animal is sad".

Good night gang !

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 05:46 PM
    OT: This sounds so baa, baa, bbbaaadddd.

Apple’s iOS 8 causing Bluetooth connectivity issues: report

Apple?s iOS 8 causing Bluetooth connectivity issues: report - The Globe and Mail
    10-01-14 06:40 PM
    OT: This sounds so baa, baa, bbbaaadddd.

Apple�s iOS 8 causing Bluetooth connectivity issues: report

Apple?s iOS 8 causing Bluetooth connectivity issues: report - The Globe and Mail
    Last two paragraphs are beautiful. Especially the last

"Apple has been plagued by problems following the September release of its iPhones and iOS8, with iPhone 6 Plus buyers discovering their phones can bend when placed in back pockets, and the company pulling a botched iOS8 update after reports of dropped cellular service.

Apple could not be immediately reached for comment."

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 07:03 PM
    OT:
    BBC News - Nude selfie celebs were 'dumb', EU commissioner says

Last edited by Corbu; 10-01-14 at 07:30 PM.
    10-01-14 07:04 PM
    Google's Eric Schmidt talks about hiring Canadian talent, loving BlackBerry #CTVNews
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/googl...erry-1.2033632

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 07:59 PM
    Dumb for using iPhones, right?
    Corbu, rarsen, iamagod and 3 others like this.
    10-01-14 08:24 PM
    Dumb for using iPhones, right?
    Naturally!
    bungaboy and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    10-01-14 08:41 PM
    Another security invention.
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/s...=rss_truncated

rarsen, bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    10-01-14 10:06 PM
    That's a bitter pill. The advice I always give folks that want to do this is, never put more than 10% of your portfolio into one equity, and when you are starting out, buy market and sell market. This forces you to keep a close eye, which accelerates the learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    True.

Perhaps. However, do you really think you would have pocketed your easy January earnings and put everything in a more conservative investment? It's more likely that you still would have taken the opportunity to do it again for even larger stakes.

You learned the best kind of investing lesson - losing everything early on. Otherwise you just keep letting it ride until you get taken out.
    Very true. Now that I think about it - yes, I probably would have put all that money into another speculative investment in hopes of making 10x!

But damn it.. I lost ALL my savings. Every cent I had saved since I had started working! But yeah, plenty of more years to go. I like to think I am wiser now. For example: I've only purchased strike $12 this time. I got fewer quantity of options but relatively less risk too.

If I had more money, I'd have invested in multiple stocks this time. But I only had enough that it made no sense to split even this small amount into multiple stocks. Just purchased long term expiry options for strike $12
    10-01-14 11:25 PM
    /start rant or whatever

You know, around the time Z10 was released, I had made my first ever stock purchase.

I put everything I had in savings (of approx 6 years of employment since I finished school) and amassed some 500 lots of BlackBerry calls expiring in 2014, strike 35!

I was feeling very smug, like I was sitting on gold mine and people around me were mindless and beyond stupid to ignore such an opportunity even when I was shouting at top of my lungs - BUY BUY BUY BlackBerry, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get rich. Needless to say, joke turned out to be on me, all 500 lots expired worthless in January of this year.

Starting from ZERO cash savings, I again started putting money in trading account 10 months ago. And I've now managed to amass only 16 lots of BBRY expiring in 2016 January, strike $12 :'(

Actually, first I swore, I will never ever touch BBRY stock again. But then I don't know if it's my love for BB products or what, I felt like, sure I made a mistake last year by being overtly optimistic. But this year, I will be conservative in my stock-price estimate. Although I am still hoping that there would be some unexpected event (short squeeze or break through) which would take this stock through the roof and to $100 but I am only betting that it'd be atleast $12.

Things would have been so different if BBRY had reached my strike price in 2014! Now even if BBRY goes to $40 by 2016, I would just barely recover lost savings :'(

All that said, trading in BBRY stock was my first experience of purchasing a stock/option and it turned out to be a very expensive lesson.

/END rant or whatever
    Not to be mean but...someone who has no clue in investing shouldn't start with option trading. That is the worst thing to do. Learn to invest long term at very small profit margins learn from the stock then advance. What you did was overly exaggerated and caused this big loss for you.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 11:40 PM
    I should say trading not investing actually traders and investors aren't the same.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Superfly_FR and kfh227 like this.
    10-01-14 11:48 PM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.
    10-02-14 12:08 AM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.
    The only thing there I can agree with is "keep your head separate from your heart ".

Btw: it's no longer RIMM. It's now BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 12:32 AM
113,256 ... 28902891289228932894 ...