View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Simply looking up their website tells you. Like I said the everyday consumer which I am guessing would be you. Wouldn't know much about them as they deal with enterprise not with the everyday consumer. They offer business solutions. They manufacture and market mainframes like I said they're a global leader in enterprise. They have a huge database on all the customers they work with. Ever hear of Watson?? And how they want to use Watson to help business improve. They are a true gold mine in data. You can try and attack IBM all you want as if they're not relevant but you'd be dead wrong. Now I'm not saying I love IBM. However you can't deny facts of just how big and important IBM is in enterprise. There's a reason why they're over a $180B company. To say IBM isn't huge would be an ignorant remark to make. Shows how little the everyday person knows about the difference between an enterprise company ( what John Chen wants BBRY to be) and a typical everyday consumer company.

Posted via CB10
    Where does IBM compete with Blackberry? Since you seem to know a lots. Thanks for your answer as to what is IBM.

The Passport. The Smart Phone
    09-29-14 08:29 AM
    Haha, that article from the ex apple exec.

Either his premise for blackberry's demise is wrong or he is right. If he is wrong there is no point in reading.

If he is right then if you apply the same premise to apple, they are in big trouble and over the next 3 years will start to lose heavy market share.

Ageing OS, which cannot keep pace with modern hardware and software. Sound familiar. Corporate culture which refuses to change, aka not providing larger screens until only this year. The list goes on.

He also seemed convinced that BlackBerry has lost the software battle, but forgets to mention that they have developed software that can run both android and native apps. This is huge.

For me BlackBerry is winning the software battle by a long way, it may just not be apparent to the masses.

It amazes me how stupid some people are.

Posted via CB10
    This is just him trying to get his job back
    09-29-14 08:42 AM
    Where does IBM compete with Blackberry? Since you seem to know a lots. Thanks for your answer as to what is IBM.

I was never arguing whether or not they compete with them that is irrelevant. This discussion was about your remark that as a company IBM is irrelevant. which is far from true. Never said anything about them being direct competitors.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-29-14 09:00 AM

IBM has the potential to compete with blackberry in software, security and cloud. They are making a stronger push into mobility with the Apple partnership and also invest heavily in analytics. They are a $100B USD company with 400,000 employees split across professional services, software and hardware.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-29-14 09:01 AM
    I was never arguing whether or not they compete with them that is irrelevant. This discussion was about your remark that as a company IBM is irrelevant. which is far from true. Never said anything about them being direct competitors.

Posted via CB10
    I never made that remark about IBM irrelevant. Please go back and look. Thanks for your answer.

09-29-14 09:04 AM
    Sold 200,000 in few hours of launch... with another 200,000 backlogged, according to blackberry ceo... if they can crank up the Passport production... they will blow by 800,000 sold in the first two weeks...imo

Posted via CB10
    I suggest this for a conservative estimate

Look at apple, not the same but might as well start there.

First weekend being just under one tenth of the years sales.

If BlackBerry follows same pattern then will see 2M PPs and 4-5 million Classics.

But we may never know the totals.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    09-29-14 09:05 AM
    I read Chris' write up today (didn't see it at first because it was under "editorials"). As always thank you!

One area I think had gotten less attention, but has me excited, is the push to license their technology to others. If they can get a couple if dollars from Samsung and Apple on each device sale for things like their antenna technology, it could go straight to the bottom line.

I'm not an expert in monitizing IP or how much they could earn, but it seems promising. Does anyone else have some insights?

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, CDM76, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    09-29-14 09:07 AM
    IBM has the potential to compete with blackberry in software, security and cloud. They are making a stronger push into mobility with the Apple partnership and also invest heavily in analytics. They are a $100B USD company with 400,000 employees split across professional services, software and hardware.

Posted via CB10
    So does microsoft and few other companies have the "POTENTIAL " to compete with blackberry. Or even better, every one out there is only competing with blackberry. Certainly seems like it.

09-29-14 09:09 AM
    We need more help saving ourselves from ourselves. Show me the light one more time please.
    sidhuk, georg4BB, _dimi_ and 1 others like this.
    09-29-14 09:11 AM
    They have been paying hundreds of millions. But those days are probably gone ans looks like they were over paying.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    09-29-14 09:11 AM
    09-29-14 09:13 AM
    So does microsoft and few other companies have the "POTENTIAL " to compete with blackberry. Or even better, every one out there is only competing with blackberry. Certainly seems like it.

When it comes to the handsets, since BB10 started to run Android apps, it was a huge leap over windows phone... But Microsoft can say they have that stupid thing called "ecosystem". I hate the "ecosystem", for me ecosystem is just a marketing technique that makes proprietary stuff to force you to stay within the brand with every related product.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 09-29-14 at 09:42 AM.
    09-29-14 09:16 AM
    I read Chris' write up today (didn't see it at first because it was under "editorials"). As always thank you!

One area I think had gotten less attention, but has me excited, is the push to license their technology to others. If they can get a couple if dollars from Samsung and Apple on each device sale for things like their antenna technology, it could go straight to the bottom line.

I'm not an expert in monitizing IP or how much they could earn, but it seems promising. Does anyone else have some insights?

Posted via CB10
    I think that this takes quite some time. Chen has hinted at this over the last year or so.

There is some value to b unlocked here, but I think you need to be stronger financially as you may have to potentially take people to court over this.

I think this will play out, much like IoT, over the next 2 to 5 years, but will not be able to keep the company afloat in the short term.

First get cashflow positive, then make the business profitable, then unlock value. It is most likely last on the list of immediate priorities.

Posted via CB10
    kadakn01, bungaboy, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    09-29-14 09:19 AM

The point is that IBM is actively investing in cloud, analytics, mobility, social and security. As stated by others, it is well positioned in the enterprise space and is therefore a legitimate threat to parts of the bbry business.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:25 AM
    When it comes to the handsets, since BB10 started to run Android apps, it was a huge lean over windows phone... But Microsoft can say they have that stupid thing called "ecosystem". I hate the "ecosystem", for me ecosystem is just a marketing technique that makes proprietary stuff to force you to stay within the brand with every related product.
    I agree and I've never seen or known anyone to just literally have one manufacturer's devices and nothing else. BlackBerry is giving the consumer options, which will indefinitely work out for the best in the long term. I have yet to come across someone who enjoys using iTunes to "sync" music to their iPhone or iPod. In the same vein, I have an HP laptop running Windows whilst I carry multiple BlackBerry smartphones and an Apple iPod to keep me on the go.
    bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    09-29-14 09:27 AM
    The 10:30 struggle is on today!
    09-29-14 09:39 AM
    The point is that IBM is actively investing in cloud, analytics, mobility, social and security. As stated by others, it is well positioned in the enterprise space and is therefore a legitimate threat to parts of the bbry business.

Posted via CB10
    Any remote chance of BlackBerry becoming threat to IBM? Or any other company in this world? LoL. I guess not. Cause every one else is positioned. Not sure how did SAP made it and BlackBerry lost it cause BlackBerry was well positioned too at one point.
    IMO in tech world anything is possible. If BlackBerry was successful, I wouldn't have been able to buy shares at these prices.

09-29-14 09:44 AM
    Any remote chance of BlackBerry becoming threat to IBM? Or any other company in this world? LoL. I guess not. Cause every one else is positioned. Not sure how did SAP made it and BlackBerry lost it cause BlackBerry was well positioned too at one point.
    IMO in tech world anything is possible. If BlackBerry was successful, I wouldn't have been able to buy shares at these prices.

They are very different. IBM pretty much only create and sells patents today (Lots of them). You might not see IBM computers anymore, but they an extremely valuable company.
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-29-14 09:48 AM
    They are very different. IBM pretty much only create and sells patents today (Lots of them). You might not see IBM computers anymore, but they an extremely valuable company.
    I have never questioned value of the IBM.

09-29-14 10:06 AM
    And look at bbry turning to the green side against the market. Even if only for a second

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-29-14 10:08 AM
    This article does an interesting job of pointing out how relatively few phones BlackBerry has to sell to start turning a profit. What I find even more interesting is that the author doesn't talk about any other revenue streams. Basically what I'm getting at is, if this author's math is correct, marginal sales of of the current phones coupled with BES income come February alone should put BlackBerry in a very good position.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2527...?uprof=45&dr=1

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    09-29-14 10:20 AM
    Hey _dimi_ !!!

Thanks for posting this .pdf to the board, this document contains far more information about the internal operations of the company and I would suggest that every BB shareholder sit down and read this piece end to end. There, I had to come back and thank you for providing some great info on BBRY!!
    09-29-14 10:28 AM
    Just one competitive example:
    Mobile Device Management: The Essentials & Beyond

http://hs.maas360.com/main-site-them...FUMF7AodYxAAGA

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 10:30 AM
    Way off topic, but have an iPhone friend in a shop with me, looking to switch. Is there any way to run Spotify on BB10?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 10:30 AM
    Using spotify ever since 10.3 came out. Amazon store

09-29-14 10:34 AM
113,256 ... 28832884288528862887 ...