View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OMG! They are only comparing the device sales numbers with Apple then show a SP chart starting with 2010 so you can only see the cash burn, and look totaly surprised, that BlackBerry is still around. They seem to know absolutely nothing about BlackBerry's business model. What kind of experts are these people? And why are they even on TV?

P.S. Fortunatelly investors know better
    09-26-14 09:26 AM
    Rookie question : isn't that a "massive bear raid" fail ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    sidhuk, georg4BB, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    09-26-14 09:29 AM
    OMG! They are only comparing the device sales numbers with Apple then show a SP chart starting with 2010 so you can only see the cash burn, and look totaly surprised, that BlackBerry is still around. They seem to know absolutely nothing about BlackBerry's business model. What kind of experts are these people? And why are they even on TV?
    Just a tiny example of how powerful the shorts are. Seeing this movie for some times. News people very bottom feeders. I don't trust them at all. It is a business to create a news, not to report.

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    09-26-14 09:31 AM
    I did!
    Anyone that bought on yesterday's BBRY dip, congratulations, more power to you.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 09:34 AM
    It is a business to create a news, not to report.

Woah, that's a quote I'm definitely going to remember!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 09:34 AM
    BlackBerry Revenue Continues to Decline, but CEO Chen is Looking Up - Canada Real Time - WSJ

BlackBerry Ltd. posted a smaller-than-expected fiscal second-quarter loss but its top line was weaker, signaling that the smartphone maker’s revenue decline remains an ongoing concern.

BlackBerry’s revenue fell to $916 million in the quarter ended August 30, from $966 million in the prior quarter and $1.57 billion a year earlier. Analysts expected BlackBerry to report $950 million in revenue in the latest quarter.

BlackBerry’s CEO John Chen said on a conference call with analysts Friday that he sees the company’s revenue from its once-lucrative service division dipping by a further 10% to 15% in the third quarter.

“We’re still in the first half of an eight quarter turnaround,” Mr. Chen said.

North American was the only international segment to register an improvement in sales in the quarter, which the company’s chief financial officer, James Yersh, attributed to stronger sales of its older BB7 devices.

Still, there were some positive signs for top-line growth at BlackBerry.

Mr. Chen said the share of revenue that BlackBerry derives from its software business is roughly $250 million, a figure he expects to double by next year, helping to offset declines in its service revenue. BBM, the company’s mobile messaging service, should account for about $100 million in revenue next year, he added.

He said more details about software plans will be unveiled when the company launches its BES 12 mobile management tool during an event in November.

BlackBerry should also see some revenue gains from its new Passport device, launched this week. Mr. Chen said the company has already received 200,000 orders for the square-shaped handset. That’s a pace well ahead of recent handset sales.

Another new device, the “Classic”, an updated version of the company’s Q10 model, is also expected to be released in the next two months.
    09-26-14 09:40 AM
    Just listened to the earnings call.. Hopefully they'll share their software (revenue) plans on November 13th because so far they seem to be very secretive. The analysts asked some really good questions but I'm slightly dissapointed by the responses Or maybe I'm slightly impatient...
    09-26-14 09:46 AM

Question : can we TW that ?

edit ... couldn't resist
    09-26-14 09:48 AM
    Gross margin not growth.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-26-14 09:58 AM
    Did I hear blackberry passport wasn't targeted at consumers? It is for Doctors and engineers? Then 200k+ Doctors and engineers ordered this in 6 hours?
    Very impressive. No advertising, no major carrier or any carrier.
    I still think that amazon availability is good asset. Don't have to put up with fast talking BSING store sales people who (majority) know nothing about BlackBerry or most phones.
    I noticed that I watched 3 young people school/college age loving the passport which is a good sign. They all were amazed at Blend capabilities and passport screen, call quality and battery life.
    Now, I admit that passport is not for everyone. And no phone is for everyone.

09-26-14 09:59 AM
    09-26-14 10:00 AM
    And if you need to know more about blend.
    Why it is game changer. And why the kids were happy to see it.

CDM76, bungaboy, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    09-26-14 10:11 AM
    I have some Apple users very interested in the Passport. I have a strong feeling that people are fed up with the usual slab mobiles and want something different.

The Passport is exactly that. I think it shows just by the 200k sold number already. This is a departure from previous BlackBerry's.

Posted with my soon to be Passport
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    09-26-14 10:15 AM
    Did I hear blackberry passport wasn't targeted at consumers? It is for Doctors and engineers? Then 200k+ Doctors and engineers ordered this in 6 hours?
    Very impressive. No advertising, no major carrier or any carrier.
    I still think that amazon availability is good asset. Don't have to put up with fast talking BSING store sales people who (majority) know nothing about BlackBerry or most phones.
    I noticed that I watched 3 young people school/college age loving the passport which is a good sign. They all were amazed at Blend capabilities and passport screen, call quality and battery life.
    Now, I admit that passport is not for everyone. And no phone is for everyone.

Wouldn't it just be insane if young people decided the Passport was a cult thing and everyone had to have it?

As for the ER, I came away thinking that our next ER could be far more productive then this one was. We would be trading at $ 12.00/shr right now if Services revenue had trended even. That one number has killed an explosive rally in the stock. The devil is in the details and we really need to download the .pdf and read the details of this report. I have everything right on my estimates, ...... except that Services number, I called for something close to even and it plunged. Sorry about that. I still don't know how they derive that number and will have to see if I can find more detail on BES10/BES12 versus the decline in historic Services revenue. The day was coming when revenues would fall off a cliff but I assumed we were a quarter away from those kinds of dips. As for everything else, I anticipated better numbers in the Z3 and we didn't get them, everything else was perfect, Cash on Hand was perfect, Software perfect, Passport numbers perfect, minimal costs of product launch across the board, i.e. Sales, Inventory and Marketing were all perfect. The only complaint here was the Services side of the business so we need to know when we can expect offsetting revenues in BES10/BES12 and those figures will be announced before the end of this year.

The stock bounced back on the Passport numbers and the much lower EPS loss than expected. The stars are aligned for a rally here, if and when BlackBerry can show us growth in one of their many business segments. So far, we are leveling out in most of them (hardware, software, free-ware uptake etc) but we still need to see revenue as a whole, bottom out. There was a comment attributed to SA this morning, I can't remember who posted it so sorry for not giving credit where credit is due, that cash on hand could kill the shorts, I believe this is true now as they manage their cash extremely well.

That's all I can say for now, I need to read the .pdf to get the real data on this past Q. GL
    sidhuk, Corbu, W Hoa and 14 others like this.
    09-26-14 10:26 AM
    The Passport is also sold out on the websites of Best Buy and Future Shop. The DESIRE of having a Blackberry Passport is getting stronger and stronger!! It's like when most of you guys run out of cold beer and you can't find one, you go crazy, and I seen it in the past!!
    Last edited by thebroph; 09-26-14 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added comment
    09-26-14 10:42 AM
    Hi Morgan,

Can we expect the blue support line to hold?
    09-26-14 10:44 AM
    Gross margin not growth.
    Thank you ! I had lost my Latin, uh, Spanish, err ... English
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-26-14 10:46 AM
    Analysts were calling for sales of 200-250k Passports for the current quarter and considered that figure generous.
    09-26-14 10:48 AM
    BlackBerry results improve, but big hurdles remain | Toronto Star

BlackBerry Ltd. isn’t out of the woods yet.

The smartphone maker delivered a round of financial results Friday that showed some improvements, but also further challenges to overcome.

The Waterloo-based company, which keeps its books in U.S. dollars, lost US$207 million, or 39 cents per share, in its latest quarter. Its adjusted loss was below analyst expectations, but BlackBerry fell short on revenue.

On a per-share basis, the loss amounted to 39 cents compared with a loss of $965 million or $1.84 per share a year earlier.

Sales in what was the company’s second quarter dropped to $916 million, below analyst estimates of $950 million, and about $650 million less than a year earlier when BlackBerry had $1.57 billion in revenue.

“We are definitely in the first half of what I refer to as the eight quarters recovery,” chief executive John Chen said on a conference call.

“From a revenue standpoint, we might not be at the lowest point, but we are near the bottoming out.”

The company’s adjusted loss, which excluded a restructuring charge and an adjustment related to its debentures, amounted to two cents per share.

Analysts on average had expected loss of 16 cents, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.

Shares of BlackBerry headed more than 4.5 per cent higher on Friday morning, rising 49 cents to $11.37 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Over the past year, BlackBerry has been squeezed from all angles by Chen, who stepped into the leadership role with the goal of creating a leaner and profitable operation.

So far, he has made significant progress and has stuck to a goal of making the company breakeven on cash flow by February 2015, which is the end of the company’s fiscal year.

But he also has to contend with a longtime BlackBerry customer base in the corporate world that has migrated over to competitors like Apple’s iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy models.

Fewer users has meant lower services revenue for offerings like access to its secure enterprise servers.

During the quarter, services revenue fell 18 per cent to $424 million from the previous quarter, though BlackBerry is hoping that a change in how it charges for its offerings will help bolster those results in the future.

On a regional basis, revenue declined in every key market for the company with the exception of North America, where sales of older BlackBerry devices helped buoy the results compared with the first quarter, the company said.

Across the world, BlackBerry booked revenue on 2.1 million smartphone sales in the period, which is an improvement over the previous quarter when it was 1.6 million devices.

The company also boosted the cash in its coffers by $11 million to $3.1 billion.

This week, BlackBerry launched the Passport, a large-screen version of its smartphones that’s aimed at corporate customers. More than 200,000 Passports have been ordered since it was released on Wednesday, the company said.

Behind the scenes BlackBerry has been undergoing a fundamental change in how it does business.

In the second quarter, the company formed BlackBerry Technology Solutions, a division focused on monetizing the assets of its patent portfolio and technology developed by QNX, which develops software technology for the automotive industry.

BlackBerry is also pushing a variety of subscription-based security services. A more secure version of its BlackBerry Messenger service is already being sold to corporate customers. Additional features like money transfer and a virtual conference service called BBM Meetings will be incorporated for an additional cost.

“We have a pretty strong plan in attacking the enterprise space for monetizing these features,” Chen said.

Monetizing BBM has been a goal of BlackBerry for over a year, though it hasn’t disclosed any revenue figures yet. Active users on the platform grew to 91 million in the quarter from 85 million, the company reported.

BlackBerry is also reworking its smartphone offerings to phase out the longtime BlackBerry Bold model that has helped sustain sales during its most troubled days, while it will introduce the BlackBerry Classic later this year, a new take on its popular older phones.

“We respect BlackBerry’s strategy and turnaround plans, but ultimately, we remain cautious about long-term demand for the firm’s products that will someday transform the company into a highly profitable firm,” said Morningstar analyst Brian Colello in a note, which complimented the improvements through cost-cutting measures.

“The much harder task, in our view, will be revitalizing demand for the company’s handsets and converting software licensees to longtime paying customers.”
    09-26-14 10:50 AM
    I have some Apple users very interested in the Passport. I have a strong feeling that people are fed up with the usual slab mobiles and want something different.

The Passport is exactly that. I think it shows just by the 200k sold number already. This is a departure from previous BlackBerry's.

Posted with my soon to be Passport
    bigbadben10 !!

I completely agree with you, in a world were iFans think a larger phone is a taller phone, BlackBerry has something that no one has. Every time I want to show someone a picture, it is next to impossible to give them a great experience with a tall phone. On our last trip to the US, we had the kids stay in one room with my BB10 hooked up to the TV so they could watch HD movies, blew them away. Now we have a Passport, it can literally operate as a PC on the road, no more hauling along a tablet for me, I can do it all with just one item now. Blend is a killer, I watched the video and it is so cool to have a seamless experience on your PC, BB Hub on your PC, too good to be true. Each of our vehicles has its own Playbook to serve the need to surf the net while on the road, now I will rarely ever need to use those tablets again for that purpose. I might actually buy more Playbooks so that each passenger can have their own on long trips, yeah, thank BlackBerry for Bridge.

BlackBerry might have aimed the Passport toward the business person but I believe they might actually see more traction with social groups who love to communicate on mass. A phone/tablet all in one with a killer communication solution for all. As for the single hand issue, the only time I really need to operate a phone with one hand is while I'm driving and that's not legal so ......................... big deal there.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 09-26-14 at 11:10 AM.
    09-26-14 10:51 AM
    BlackBerry sells 200,000 Passports, making smartphone profitable - BNN News

Watch this.

Interesting bit about the Passport towards the end.

DOUG POLLITT, POLLITT & CO. INC.
    http://www.pollitt.com/
    Last edited by Corbu; 09-26-14 at 11:09 AM.
    09-26-14 10:54 AM
    Hi Morgan,

Can we expect the blue support line to hold?
    First off, the 50-dma is our support now, we want to see the stock hold the current $ 10.07/shr mark in the near-term. The one problem in the past for BBRY is it's ability to form a trend line. I drew what I think is our trend line for this stock (blue line) and it is currently running just under the 50-dma at $ 10.00/shr so I would like to see the stock hold the $ 10.00 mark. When a stock tests support, it often goes below support to take out sell-stops. So we want to see the stock test support, and, within a day or two, confirm support and rally from there. As you can see, we have a huge 40 MM share volume day today and it is days like a major news event day like today that we see all the Funds come out to reposition their portfolios; we are seeing that today. So the next 4 hours are important here as the TA on the stock is effected by the close today. Right now, they are walking it down slowly, we need to see a bounce as we approach support here, I think it will hold as the pace of the volume is decelerating as we approach that support. Let's get back to it again in a couple of hours. As for my personal take on all of this, that Services number was a shock to me, didn't see that coming, at the same time, everything else was far above what I thought we could accomplish by August/2014, we are really turning this company around here. It will take a couple of quarters before we can understand the breakdown of revenues to the bottom line for each handset sold. We don't know how much BB is getting for each of those high-end Passports sold and that is important as we are at breakeven on legacy products as of August 2014. This is where the .pdf might shed some light on the subject at our next ER. Today, we need to drift back and find support above $ 10.00 a share.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    09-26-14 11:06 AM
    Got the Passport today.
    Have to wait for my son to gift it to me tomorrow before I can open it.

Great birthday gift from Mr. Chen, by the way !!!
    09-26-14 11:09 AM
    Wouldn't it just be insane if young people decided the Passport was a cult thing and everyone had to have it?

As for the ER, I came away thinking that our next ER could be far more productive then this one was. We would be trading at $ 12.00/shr right now if Services revenue had trended even. That one number has killed an explosive rally in the stock. The devil is in the details and we really need to download the .pdf and read the details of this report. I have everything right on my estimates, ...... except that Services number, I called for something close to even and it plunged. Sorry about that. I still don't know how they derive that number and will have to see if I can find more detail on BES10/BES12 versus the decline in historic Services revenue. The day was coming when revenues would fall off a cliff but I assumed we were a quarter away from those kinds of dips. As for everything else, I anticipated better numbers in the Z3 and we didn't get them, everything else was perfect, Cash on Hand was perfect, Software perfect, Passport numbers perfect, minimal costs of product launch across the board, i.e. Sales, Inventory and Marketing were all perfect. The only complaint here was the Services side of the business so we need to know when we can expect offsetting revenues in BES10/BES12 and those figures will be announced before the end of this year.

The stock bounced back on the Passport numbers and the much lower EPS loss than expected. The stars are aligned for a rally here, if and when BlackBerry can show us growth in one of their many business segments. So far, we are leveling out in most of them (hardware, software, free-ware uptake etc) but we still need to see revenue as a whole, bottom out. There was a comment attributed to SA this morning, I can't remember who posted it so sorry for not giving credit where credit is due, that cash on hand could kill the shorts, I believe this is true now as they manage their cash extremely well.

That's all I can say for now, I need to read the .pdf to get the real data on this past Q. GL
    Thanks very much Morgan for your take! You deserve a great deal of credit for your accurate predictions... even though you were off by a whole $.03 on your EPS! I was wondering what the heck was happening with the stock in PM this morning, but your explanation regarding the service revenue decline nailed the reason the shorts started to pile on earlier. Either way, I'm very pleased with all other aspects of the quarterly results and I'm glad the stock appears to be heading in the right direction. I think we are perfectly set up to continue the climb through the end of the year. I'm very interested in hearing what you come up with after you have the chance to dive into the results further. Keep us informed.

Side note: Make it 200,001 Passports sold. I ordered mine today on Amazon. I waited to see if Verizon was going to sell the phone and it doesn't look like they will happen any time soon. It turns out that Amazon is sold out so my Passport is on backorder until... get this... November 11th!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:11 AM
    And if you need to know more about blend.
    Why it is game changer. And why the kids were happy to see it.

Bummer that Blend creates a windows XP error when I loaded it with my new shiny Passport!

And no, I refuse to replace my old faithful XP for my work laptop, so I will nee Gates d a workaround. Lol.

BTW anyone else notice that the capacitive keyboard does not work with the CB app? That is my only complaint with this phone so far!

Edit: I found a KB article that states that min. OS is Windows 7.
    Dang! I really like my XP pro.

Bold 9900, Z10, Z30, Passport
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 09-27-14 at 01:42 AM.
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-26-14 11:12 AM
113,256 ... 28752876287728782879 ...