View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow. This is a bloodbath today. I hope this isn't because the earning release has been leaked to the smart money and they got out. Maybe folks panicked. Me I'm expecting BlackBerry to beat the streets guidance. But even a slight beat may not put us back to $11.

The passport was being talked about at work today. But mainly because some guys know I'm a blackberry fan. But at least it made the press. However I think the Classic is the only one that will sell in any volume.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 04:08 PM
    $235 on contract, I am guessing.
    Off contract, it is probably going to be close to $700ish in Canada -- which would be TOO HIGH!

Passport for $599 in Canada would have been perfect. But it's $700+taxes!!!!!
    No way mate... The passport is 700$ in Canada, no way the classic would be priced the same... Classic would have to be at least 200$-250$ cheaper than the passport in Canada. Classic is suposed to have the exact same specs as the Q10, except for the 0.3inch bigger screen.. We are not in the Thorsten Heins time anymore
    georg4BB likes this.
    09-25-14 04:14 PM
    Am I misunderstanding Mark Sue's (and other analysts') comments regarding Blend? They seem to be of the opinion that Blend is going to further the case of BYOD and that BlackBerry will drop handsets and become software only. That?s not what *I'm* seeing Blend do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blend on a BlackBerry is a USP because on a BlackBerry, a user can get access to BOTH personal and work sides of the device. That's a selling point for companies and employees to go all BlackBerry and ditch BYOD.

I don't think BlackBerry even announced Blend for BES yet. But assuming that's where they're headed, the most Blend will likely grant access to is the Secure Workspace IF the company is running BES 10/12. I doubt BlackBerry will ever get access to Android or iOS outside the BES Secure Workspace because that's the point of the secure container. Work gets a secure container and employee gets unfettered and private access to the personal space. If anything, Blend for Android and iPhone users may either be another USP to adopt BES, and/or a separate fee BES add-on subscription service.

Non-corporate Android or iOS users will have to wait for Google or Apple to do their own version of Blend. Those implementations probably won't get access to any work container unless an MDM vendor wants to make a hole in their security model. I doubt any MDM vendor will do that. So those platforms will probably require two separate "Blend"-like clients. Again a USP for BlackBerry.

Of course this is just my opinion and again, correct me if I'm wrong.
    09-25-14 04:17 PM
    As someone based in the U.S. and who works around governmental and consulting organizations, I will say that while I am extremely pleased by John Chen's work to stabilize the company, I can understand why American analysts would still tend toward a negative view of the company's prospects. I think the needle has moved slightly here, in terms of perception, but for example, there are still people who carry BB7 devices for work and have no idea the Z10 or Z30 exist. I hear these people say their organizations are testing iPhones and Droids, because "BlackBerry is going away".
    I agree. Thorsten Hein's biggest failure and Chen's too is getting the word out that BB10 is a completely new OS. You see comments everywhere that many people still think BB10 is just another iteration of BBOS. Jumping from version 7 to 10 doesn't dispel that misconception either.

It's been said before, it would've been better if the new phones were marketed as "BlackBerry phone running the <insert new name> OS." Would've helped in finding other OEM partners to license the OS too. But that's for the Armchair CEO section of CB.
    Reed Richards and CDM76 like this.
    09-25-14 04:46 PM
    LOVE IT!!!
    or In J. C. we Pray! Amen
    In J.C. We trust! Amen

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:14 PM
    My take-away from this article is that our very own Super_Fly nailed it when he said that "Blend" was the WOW factor yesterday. It might take awhile to sink in but many others are going to feel the same way. Nice to know we have our own "analyst" onboard this thread.
    Indeed, the real star wasn't the most advertised.
    Thanks for these kind words Morgan (I'm out of button)

Posted via CB10

Edited the unwanted. Question Mark
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-25-14 at 05:47 PM.
    CDM76, Corbu, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    09-25-14 05:15 PM
    Seeing what JC did since he is CEO I have a feeling there will be a surprise tomorrow either BBRY beats the market expectations or JC announce a partnership, maybe both, or some other good news.
    09-25-14 05:20 PM
    I don't know how I should understand this (1st TW, favorited)

1/ it's automatic (but why that late ? )
    2/ it's ironic (could they ? ) or they don't understand what I wrote
    3/ IBM... NEWS ?????????

Salt it to the max whatever you may believe. It's late, I'm tired.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140926_012205.png

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:29 PM
    OT: Bendgate

Samsung's Giant Smartphone Passed The Same Bending Test The iPhone 6 Plus Failed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Not Bending Like The iPhone 6 Plus - Business Insider

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-samsung-ad.jpg
    09-25-14 07:21 PM
    OT: Business Ethics.

HP faces 10-year ban as Canadian government’s technology supplier

Hewlett-Packard Co., one of the leading technology suppliers to the Canadian government, is facing a possible 10-year ban on selling products and services to Ottawa in the wake of a high-profile U.S. bribery conviction.

The recent criminal conviction, involving bribes paid to Russian government officials, marks the first major test of strict new Canadian integrity rules quietly introduced in March by Public Works and Government Services.

HP faces 10-year ban as Canadian government?s technology supplier - The Globe and Mail
    CDM76, rarsen, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    09-25-14 07:25 PM
    OT: Bendgate

Samsung's Giant Smartphone Passed The Same Bending Test The iPhone 6 Plus Failed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Not Bending Like The iPhone 6 Plus - Business Insider

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samsung-ad.jpg 
Views:	2087 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	300521
    So did the PassPort

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...254175828&_rdr

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:27 PM
    09-25-14 07:44 PM
    BlackBerry continues to worry analysts - The Globe and Mail

Last updated Thursday, Sep. 25 2014, 6:39 PM EDT

BlackBerry Ltd.�s new Passport smartphone is drawing mixed marks from reviewers, initial interest from fans and indifference from financial analysts.

Ahead of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company�s second-quarter earnings on Friday, many analysts made little to no changes to their forecasts, which range from neutral to pessimistic, following Wednesday�s launch of the passport-sized smartphone.

�It�s probably too early to tell� if Passport will succeed, Cormark Securities analyst Richard Tse said in an interview, after reiterating his $11.50 (U.S.) price target and �market perform� call on the stock Thursday.

CIBC analyst Todd Coupland said in a note the stock �remains on our no fly list� with a target price of $6.25 � much lower than Thursday�s close of $9.80 on the Nasdaq. �In our view, BlackBerry�s turnaround has a long way to go and it is too early to state that this effort will stabilize device shipments and more importantly, service revenues,� he wrote.

Many observers feel the Passport is a niche device that will have little impact on sales. Some expect better prospects for the �Classic,� the company�s revival of a popular older model coming this fall. �We believe the Passport does little to change the direction of the company,� Citi analyst Ehud Gelblum said in a note. Many analysts forecast the company will earn around $4-billion in revenue in its current fiscal year and only slightly more the next year.

Chief executive officer John Chen has said BlackBerry needs to sell 10 million smartphones a year to break even and is open to abandoning the hardware business if it can�t, in favour of other offerings, including security and device management software and services for corporate and government, or enterprise, users. Taiwanese contract manufacturing giant Foxconn Technology Group has agreed to make BlackBerrys and shoulder much of the business risk in exchange for some of the profit if BlackBerry sales bounce back.

BlackBerry is expected to report a second-quarter loss of 16 cents a share Friday on revenues of between $900-million and $1-billion. The company earns revenues primarily from selling devices and charging service fees to users.

While hardware sales have declined steeply in recent years, investors are most concerned about service revenues, which have been steadily declining and are set to dip by 11 per cent from the first quarter to about $460-million, according to the company. As those revenues (from fees the company collects from carriers per user of its BlackBerry service) drop, they wipe out much of the company�s earnings power, as service fees carry much higher margins than handsets.

�Longer term, the ongoing services decline and BlackBerry�s ability to offset with [other enterprise software] revenues keeps us on the sidelines,� said Raymond James analyst Steve Li in a note, in which he maintained his $10 target price and Market Perform rating on the stock.

Mr. Chen has promised to stop the bleeding in services by finding new sources of revenues by catering to the enterprise users. One potential revenue source is a new program introduced with Passport, called Blend, which allows users to display the contents of their smartphone on any other computer screen, including products made by Apple.

The service will be offered to enterprise users for a fee. �BlackBerry�s CEO�s attempts to convince Enterprise CEOs and [chief information officers] to give BlackBerry a second chance is bearing some positive results,� RBC Dominion Securities analyst Mark Sue said in a note.

BlackBerry recently completed a deep restructuring effort that slashed costs and put the company on a path to generate positive cash flows by the end of the fiscal year in February, 2015. �The improvements in the balance sheet and restructuring in the business is providing the challenged company much needed time to turn things around,� Mr. Sue said.
    rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    09-25-14 08:00 PM
    So did the PassPort

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...254175828&_rdr

Posted via CB10
    Love the comments supporting BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    09-25-14 08:07 PM
    09-25-14 08:22 PM
    Pretty good Passport reviews on Amazon already:
    http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Pas...UvbUpU10889210
    Corbu, CDM76, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    09-25-14 08:27 PM
    Quite period in here tonight???
    09-25-14 09:56 PM
    Everyone is pretty beat up after this stick drop today.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:56 PM
    Everyone is pretty beat up after this stick drop today.

Posted via CB10
    But damn this beer tastes good!!!!
    First time trying the Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale from Granville Island Brewing. Definitely worth trying.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:01 PM
    ^I like to try new beers. Wonder if we can find that stateside here in the Midwest?
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-26-14 12:22 AM
    Article: BlackBerry: Two Metrics That Will Kill Shorts On Friday

Summary
    BlackBerry announces earnings before the market opens tomorrow morning.
    Short interest is currently 90 million shares, or about 19% of the float.
    If BlackBerry delivers positive cash flow or maintains its cash balance near $1.7 billion, shorts are toast.
    The article is interesting and contains a picture which made me laugh .
    I hope the author is right with the prediction. Fingers crossed.
    bungaboy, CDM76 and Bacon Munchers like this.
    09-26-14 02:39 AM
    Judgement day - 4h left. I am really interested in Z3 results, I think we don't know the real numbers yet.
    09-26-14 02:52 AM
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing Morgan's chart??

Balls of steel!!!
    rarsen, bungaboy and lech31 like this.
    09-26-14 03:15 AM
    Judgement day - 4h left. I am really interested in Z3 results, I think we don't know the real numbers yet.
    It's a multi-year turnaround play.. I wouldn't focus too much on their earnings (let alone Z3 sales, which will be pretty insignificant IMO) but instead look for indicators that their business has improved and is ready to grow again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the shorts work their way down to 8,50 USD to fill that gap, and then cover in an orderly fashion during the months ahead. Of course, I hope we'll never see those levels again. But those who've had BBRY for a long time will know what I mean. A few months more or less won't change a thing and we all know how volatile this stock can get.

To all of you longs, best of luck!!! Then again, who needs luck when we have JC.
    09-26-14 03:32 AM
    It's a multi-year turnaround play.. I wouldn't focus too much on their earnings (let alone Z3 sales, which will be pretty insignificant IMO) but instead look for indicators that their business has improved and is ready to grow again. I wouldn't be surprised to see the shorts work their way down to 8,50 USD to fill that gap, and then cover in an orderly fashion during the months ahead. Of course, I hope we'll never see those levels again. But those who've had BBRY for a long time will know what I mean. A few months more or less won't change a thing and we all know how volatile this stock can get.

To all of you longs, best of luck!!! Then again, who needs luck when we have JC.
    Not a chance in hell we see 8.50 again, I sure hope john makes sure shorts will find a reason to dump on this stock again

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 03:44 AM
113,256 ... 28702871287228732874 ...