View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If it hasn't happened already it is about to. Hell freezing over that is.

This is from BGR!

Today, BBM remains the No. 1 iPhone app in Indonesia and Nigeria, pivotal mobile markets of South East Asia and Africa � and that�s No. 1 among all apps, not just in the Social Media category. The Indonesian success is nothing short of dazzling: BBM is beating other Top 10 apps such as LINE, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger in this country of 250 million people.

Even more importantly, BBM has recently popped into top 20 iPhone revenue charts of those two countries. BlackBerry has finally started demonstrating it can actually begin to make money with its messenger app. This was very much a question mark just a few months ago after BBM vaulted from No. 300 to No. 10 on the Indonesian iPhone sales chart between June and August.

As of today, BBM is a top 10 social media app in 32 countries, including the United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. BBM�s global download momentum combined with its recently emerged revenue-generating moxie mean that it might be consolidating its position as a serious B-level messaging app.

That could mean hitting 200 million active monthly users over the next couple of years. This could make BBM a serious global app power. The competition among messaging apps is brutal, but so far BlackBerry is holding its own. In the long term, the sarcastic reviews of the Passport may turn out to be little more than background noise as the company pivots toward the software market.
    BlackBerry Passport, BBM analysis | BGR
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 10 others like this.
    09-25-14 10:55 AM
    BlackBerry: Gadget Folk Praise Sturdy Passport, With Reservations; Street Shrugs - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

BlackBerry (BBRY) shares are down 31 cents, or 3%, at $10.20, with the broader market, as the Street mulls yesterday’s introduction by CEO John Chen & co. of the new “Passport” smartphone, as well as updates to the company’s enterprise software.

The public event came in advance of BlackBerry’s fiscal Q2 report tomorrow morning, before the opening bell.

Early impressions of the Passport are mixed:

Yahoo!’s tech maven David Pogue in his review calls the Passport “weird and wonderful.” He notes the keyboard is “bigger and more spaced out than on the much narrower BlackBerry phones of old. It’s wonderful.” The battery life is “fantastic,” going up to three days on a charge. He concludes the Passport may “have a future, although a limited one with a select audience.”

Brad Molen of Engadget comments on the sturdy build of the device (amidst scandal about some bent Apple (AAPL) iPhone 6 Plus models), and things such as the touch-sensitive keyboard that doubles as a trackball, effectively, but also find the device falls short, writing “I have plenty of reservations: I’m not sold on BlackBerry’s solution to the phone’s one-handed dilemma, and although the app situation is better than it was a year ago, it’s still not great.”

The Verge’s Dan Seifert also comments on the tough nature of the product build, looking like new after multiple drops. But he adds, “Needless to say, the Passport is awkward to use and awkward to carry in your pants’ pocket.”

Bonnie Cha of Re/Code writes that she had a “difficult time wrapping my hand around it,” adding “In some ways, I almost found it more difficult to manage than other phablets like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 6 Plus, because it’s so wide at 3.56 inches across.”

The New York Times’s Molly Wood writes that she likes “its crisp lines and aggressive, vaguely 1980s styling, with matte black plastic, exposed stainless steel frame and sturdy heft,” and that the “wide body makes it easy and comfortable to hold in two hands while typing.” But, she adds “As for one-handed use, just forget it.”

Reviews of the event by Street observers were mixed as well, generally unenthusiastic:

Mark Sue of RBC Capital Markets, who has a Sector Perform rating on the shares, and a $12 price target, writing that in his opinion, the more important thing is “Blend,” the software technology that lets the BlackBerry work with multiple other devices, such as the iPhone and devices based on Google’s (GOOGL) Android and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Windows Phone.

Blend is BlackBerry’s first product that fully embraces BYOD, akin to a mashup of Dropbox, Citrix and MDM, while maintaining BlackBerry’s hallmark security and manageability features. For BlackBerry shops, Blend may be a compelling solution to enable mobile content and messaging on iPhone/ iPad and Android devices, and even an alternative to VPN. Blend offers a TCO (total cost of ownership) advantage over competitors says Blackberry though all MDM/software vendors say similar things. BlackBerry will offer Blend to enterprises for a recurring monthly fee (pricing TBA), beyond the cost of BES. Additionally, we see BlackBerry offering high-level encryption from Secusmart (acquired in July) to enterprises as an upgrade. Virtual SIMs from Movirtu (acquired in September) are likely to be incorporated into future BB10 releases. BES12 (available November) allows enterprises to securely manage both BlackBerry and iPhone/Android, a competitive differentiator.

Wells Fargo’s Maynard Um, who has a Market Perform rating on BlackBerry, also thinks Blend is the more important thing here:

BlackBerry Blend, in our opinion, was the upside surprise and may be a feature that could help make BBRY hardware more attractive to enterprises. Blend allows access to messaging and content on any synced BB10 device (that has OS 10.3) from Windows/Mac PCs and iOS/Android tablets through a secure connection without a need for a VPN. Additionally, a single license can be used across multiple devices for any given user (rather than the traditional per device license). Blend is free until OS 10.3 is released for other BB10 devices (currently in enterprise beta). While we believe these announcements are positive, product uptake and acceptance should still be key and we maintain our Market Perform rating.

Citigroup’s Ehud Gelblum, who has a Sell rating on BlackBerry shares, and an $8 price target, takes exception with the device’s square screen: “We believe the square shape of the screen could make the vast store of Android apps now available via the Amazon app store a disappointing experience as most were designed for a longer screen implying they would need to be redesigned.”

Gelblum thinks Passport will “appeal only to the high end corp. liable exec market, which we est is quite small and being encroached on by others.” He notes that Chen indicated the Passport was “fully developed” before Chen got to BlackBerry last November, under previous CEO Thorsten Heins, and so “many key parts of the company’s current strategy predates Chen.”

On the topic of tomorrow’s report, Gelblum notes that “Chen also messaged that BBRY expects to show improvement on the balance sheet and purchase commitments when it reports.”

MKM Partners’s Michael Genovese opines that “New device won’t matter much.”

We do not expect Passport (nor Classic slated for later in the year) to bring any appreciable new users to BlackBerry. It is for hardcore entrenched BB users in the Enterprise market. The company’s handset opportunity now is to sell ~10mn upgrades per year to its sustainable user base of 40mn (down from the 50mn users reported at the end of May.) Genovese thinks Chen’s not that enthusiastic about Passport:

John Chen did his best to project excitement about the Passport launch, but his heart did not seem to be fully in it. He noted that the product’s development pre-dated his joining the company, and said he expects the upcoming Classic to appeal to a much broader base of BlackBerry users. Mr. Chen likely sees the company’s future more in the Software and Services spaces than in Hardware. We think BlackBerry is likely evaluating potential M&A in the Enterprise Security, Messaging Applications, Connected Auto and Tele-Medicine markets.
    09-25-14 11:07 AM
    ER should be good tomorrow. Chen did not have to talk about financials, restructuring and stuff yesterday but he said more than once yesterday BB is done with restructuring, bought couple companies. Him being very conservative he would not have bought 2 companies in one quarter if cash was the issue.
    09-25-14 11:35 AM
    09-25-14 11:38 AM
    What's the point if only the outside bezel is black, but none of the property other stainless trim?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:46 AM
    ER should be good tomorrow. Chen did not have to talk about financials, restructuring and stuff yesterday but he said more than once yesterday BB is done with restructuring, bought couple companies. Him being very conservative he would not have bought 2 companies in one quarter if cash was the issue.
    He did say early on in the presentation that while he was in the quiet period, things were going to plan and they were being good stewards of cash on hand (my paraphrase). He did specifically mention cash on hand positively, at least that's what I heard
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-25-14 11:49 AM
    My take-away from this article is that our very own Super_Fly nailed it when he said that "Blend" was the WOW factor yesterday. It might take awhile to sink in but many others are going to feel the same way. Nice to know we have our own "analyst" onboard this thread.
    09-25-14 12:02 PM
    He did say early on in the presentation that while he was in the quiet period, things were going to plan and they were being good stewards of cash on hand (my paraphrase). He did specifically mention cash on hand positively, at least that's what I heard
    Did Chen also say the price for everyone in the room getting free passports was going to cost 150 g's ?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:04 PM
    Yeah. And?
    To me, it means that between 300 to 400 people attended the event.

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-25-14 12:07 PM
    Did Chen also say the price for everyone in the room getting free passports was going to cost 150 g's ?

Posted via CB10
    yes he said that , he also said he really needed that 150k jokingly
    Signhere likes this.
    09-25-14 12:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes I heard the same and a quick calculation will give you the number of people in the room. Don't know if they did the same in London and Dubai, possibly SuperFly_FR can answer that as he was in London.
    09-25-14 12:11 PM
    My take-away from this article is that our very own Super_Fly nailed it when he said that "Blend" was the WOW factor yesterday. It might take awhile to sink in but many others are going to feel the same way. Nice to know we have our own "analyst" onboard this thread.
    Indeed.

BlackBerry Blend wins plaudits as Passport grabs headlines | Reuters

(Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd's launch of its square-screened Passport device may have grabbed headlines this week, but it was the tech company's lower-profile roll out of the new Blend feature that appears to be garnering the plaudits.

Even as reviewers and analysts were torn on the prospects of the unconventionally shaped Passport, they were brimming with praise for Blend, which lets users seamlessly bridge messaging and content between a host of devices irrespective of operating systems.

"While the new Passport device attracted the most attention, to us the announcement of BlackBerry Blend is more important," said RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue in a note on Thursday.

He noted that Blend is one of the key elements of a strategy aimed at adapting to the needs of large companies, where workers are pushing for flexibility to use devices of their own choice.

BlackBerry, under the leadership of new Chief Executive John Chen, has been altering its focus. Chen wants BlackBerry to be a competitor in the smartphone arena, but is also building on its strengths in areas like mobile data security and mobile device management.

"Blend underpins BlackBerry’s enterprise strategy," said RBC's Sue, noting that recent acquisitions give BlackBerry a further boost in the enterprise market.

Earlier this month, BlackBerry acquired Movirtu a U.K.-based mobile technology start-up whose software allows users to have multiple phone numbers on the same device. This followed its acquisition of voice and data encryption firm Secusmart in July.

The Blend system allows a user to get message notifications, read and respond to work and personal email, text and other messages, while also accessing files, calendars, contacts and other media, on whatever device one is using.

The system works across operating systems including Apple's Mac OS, Microsoft's Windows platform and tablets powered by Google's Android software.

Scotiabank analyst Daniel Chan said he sees the software as a unique product that could allow developers to build Blend functionality into their mobile apps.

"Blend has the potential to turn into a secure communication gateway to all the devices in users' lives," Chan wrote in a note, adding it could turn into a revenue stream as BlackBerry would charge service fees for access to corporate data.

Other analysts were also upbeat about the new feature.

"This could bring considerable appeal to enterprise users who use different platforms on multiple devices, yet want to quickly access email, text, calendar, etc," said Cormark's Richard Tse.

Attention is now focused on BlackBerry's quarterly results on Friday, which will give shareholders a sense of the progress being made in BlackBerry's turnaround efforts.

The volatile stock was down 2.5 percent in midday trading on Thursday, after closing roughly flat on Wednesday, following the launch of Passport and Blend.
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    09-25-14 12:11 PM
    Hey Mr. Morgan+8!

I'm wondering if you can take a minute to share your expectations with us for tomorrow's ER. I know you've expressed general optimism recently, but I'd like to know what you are looking for as key metrics. Do you have target revenues or EPS that you'd like to see? What would it take for you to deem a success for BB this quarter? Did yesterday?s launch and stock price action change anything for you? Do you think we will need more than stabilized financials, such as some kind of announcement in order for the stock price to jump? Thanks a million in advance!

NOTE: Posted from 35,000 ft altitude en route to LA California from NY. I got to chat to a fellow BB10 owner sitting next to me. He loves his Q10 for business. He likes my Z30 and now he's going to check out the Passport thanks to me

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:14 PM
    yes he said that , he also said he really needed that 150k jokingly
    Haha, no doubt he does. But I feel much better with the budget on his desk rather than the previous eggheads.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-25-14 12:19 PM
    Yes I heard the same and a quick calculation will give you the number of people in the room. Don't know if they did the same in London and Dubai, possibly SuperFly_FR can answer that as he was in London.
    Not only that, it tells us about the CEO's is aware of his expenses and worries. thats the way a private business should be running.
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    09-25-14 12:19 PM
    BGC downgrades BlackBerry, thinks FQ2 sales could miss

• BGC's Colin Gillis has downgraded BlackBerry (BBRY -4.2%) to Hold ahead of tomorrow morning's FQ2 report. Believing hardware sales are likely to remain pressured by channel inventories, Gillis is forecasting FQ2 revenue of $928M, below a $951M consensus.
    • Gillis' EPS estimate of -$0.11 is above a -$0.15 consensus, but he argues BlackBerry's cost-cutting efforts have been priced in."We see that the stock market has absorbed the fact that the company has reduced its cost structure to preserve a cash floor of approximately $2.5 billion, but we expect the revenue declines to continue in the current quarter."
    • He forecasts hardware revenue will fall 52% Y/Y to $371M, with shipments coming at 1.6M and ASP at $232. BlackBerry recognized revenue on 1.6M shipments in FQ1, while estimating 2.6M phones were sold to end-users.
    • The downgrade comes a day after the Passport launch, and two days after a Cormark downgrade.

From SA.
    09-25-14 12:40 PM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...170625240.html

Blend is unanimously wowing

Love the bit on expanding it to apps. Upon reading this, I see the potential of BlackBerry phones becoming part of their competitors ecosystem. No reason you can't have a BlackBerry on Apple's ecosystem. They still need to work on app-gap though, but maybe with enough momentum...
    09-25-14 12:40 PM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...170625240.html

Blend is unanimously wowing

Love the bit on expanding it to apps. Upon reading this, I see the potential of BlackBerry phones becoming part of their competitors ecosystem. No reason you can't have a BlackBerry on Apple's ecosystem. They still need to work on app-gap though, but maybe with enough momentum...
    Just cant catch a break in the SP
    09-25-14 12:42 PM
    BGC downgrades BlackBerry, thinks FQ2 sales could miss

• BGC's Colin Gillis has downgraded BlackBerry (BBRY -4.2%) to Hold ahead of tomorrow morning's FQ2 report. Believing hardware sales are likely to remain pressured by channel inventories, Gillis is forecasting FQ2 revenue of $928M, below a $951M consensus.
    • Gillis' EPS estimate of -$0.11 is above a -$0.15 consensus, but he argues BlackBerry's cost-cutting efforts have been priced in."We see that the stock market has absorbed the fact that the company has reduced its cost structure to preserve a cash floor of approximately $2.5 billion, but we expect the revenue declines to continue in the current quarter."
    • He forecasts hardware revenue will fall 52% Y/Y to $371M, with shipments coming at 1.6M and ASP at $232. BlackBerry recognized revenue on 1.6M shipments in FQ1, while estimating 2.6M phones were sold to end-users.
    • The downgrade comes a day after the Passport launch, and two days after a Cormark downgrade.

From SA.
    I can agree with parts, like restructuring being priced in already. However, I think they have far underestimated handset sales. I'm expecting minimum 2 million based on the uptick from last quarter and reduced pre-counted inventory.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-25-14 12:43 PM
    Dropped into the $9's. This is bull****. So, if BBRY was to post good news tomorrow, we'd end up literally right back to the $11's
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    09-25-14 12:44 PM
    Crazy that Canadian banks like TD, Scotiabank and RBC that produce great ROI every year say positive things about all of BlackBerry's moves, but it makes no impact. And then analysts with spotty history make a negative analysis and the share price plummets.

I guess BlackBerry will have to force their way to positivity.
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    09-25-14 12:49 PM
    We better have a decent pop tomorrow, after today's action.
    09-25-14 12:52 PM
    Dropped into the $9's. This is bull****. So, if BBRY was to post good news tomorrow, we'd end up literally right back to the $11's
    This is the result of short interest, tomorow is an important day
    This could be one of the best days to buy BBRY
    Mr BBRY and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    09-25-14 12:52 PM
    Really? Blend solves a problem even my PC can't solve and that is one client that can access ALL my email accounts and calendars AT ONCE. On the PC it's still log in here, then there, then there. Oh, and btw, work restricts access to home email, blah, blah. It's beautiful and should be an easy sell as its value is easy to understand. Then add the security feature that once you log off of blend, *poof*, your data was never there.

Only, the cynic in me says a lot less work will get done if everyone can text, BBM all day from their desktop. Ha!
    I'M with you... my comments are more the concern that the general public won't understand or appreciate it based on the launch demo and historical marketing efforts. I think they need to be very clear on explaining it's value or it won't take off.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:57 PM
    We better have a decent pop tomorrow, after today's action.
    we need a 10 percent pop just to get back to 11
    09-25-14 01:06 PM
113,256 ... 28682869287028712872 ...