View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow iPhone 6 sales must be pretty weak compared to iPhone 5s sales l. Almost every carrier is offering up a serious deal on the new iPhone 6 either trade your old iPhone in and get a iPhone 6 or exclusive plans for iPhone 6 only

Posted via CB10
    Seems a little too early to determine weak sales I think.....

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:07 PM
    Wow iPhone 6 sales must be pretty weak compared to iPhone 5s sales l. Almost every carrier is offering up a serious deal on the new iPhone 6 either trade your old iPhone in and get a iPhone 6 or exclusive plans for iPhone 6 only

Posted via CB10
    They're offering up trade in deals because most people want the new one and are willing to trade in their older iPhone without realizing how stupid of a deal that is. Carriers are likely to turn around and sell the refurbished iPhones at a good price, hence win-win for them.

Most people likely don't wanna deal with selling the device themselves privately, therefore a lower cost at the carrier is easier and a price to pay for the "latest and greatest" .
    neteng1000 and bungaboy like this.
    09-21-14 08:23 PM
    OT...a little...Android users might want to have a read of this:
    http://jdem.cz/bqpqb9

Eazzy Peazzy
    09-21-14 08:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Iphone 5 had around 2 million pre orders... Apple didn't tell the numbers of the 5s (probably because they weren't great), the iphone 6 had over 4 million pre orders, much more than predicted, that the manufacturer can't build enought to fill demand.

Apple market shares went down after iphone 6 presentation, but came back up when the number of pre-orders was released. Iphone 6 is a big sucess.
    09-21-14 09:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    As others have said, too early to tell. Back at BlackBerry's peak, I believe BOGO sales were fairly common as well.
    09-21-14 10:58 PM
    Since the 5s was the best selling phone throught his entire life, the Iphone 6 should be selling a lot better... So I guess Apple isn't in any risk of closing business...
    09-21-14 11:07 PM
    According to the WSJ, the Passport will be $599 in the US. It's a subscription only article so I can't post it.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    09-22-14 07:08 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Wow!! That's a great price for the Passport!!

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, georg4BB and sidhuk like this.
    09-22-14 07:12 AM
    According to the WSJ, the Passport will be $599 in the US. It's a subscription only article so I can't post it.

Posted via CB10
    Here it is:

"BlackBerry plans to sell its new square-screen smartphone at a lower price than rival products, as the company attempts to regain some of the ground it has lost in the global market.
    BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said in an interview Monday that its Passport smartphone, which will go on sale starting Wednesday, will cost $599 in the U.S. without subsidies. The phone will be priced differently in some other countries based on taxes and tariffs, he noted.
    Mr. Chen said that compared with similar smartphones produced by competitors, the Passport should cost in the $700 range. "But I figure that to try to get the market interested, we're going to start a little lower than that."
    Apple 's new iPhone 6 starts at $649 without contract, while the iPhone 6 Plus costs $749 without a contract. Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone went on sale in the U.S. earlier this year for about $650 depending on the carrier.
    The release of the handset, which has a 4.5-inch square screen and BlackBerry's signature physical keyboard, will be the first global launch of a device since the company's BlackBerry 10 phones flopped in 2013. While the company has begun to focus more on its core enterprise business, it must also use innovative new consumer products to lure enterprise users, Mr. Chen said.
    The Waterloo, Ontario, firm hasn't talked about the device's features ahead of its launch. But Mr. Chen, who was visiting Singapore Monday, said the phone's larger screen would appeal to users who need to be productive on their phones, such as those working in the medical field. The Passport's screen size and high resolution allows users to view 60 characters on each line, which is substantially more than typical, rectangular smartphones such as iPhones.
    "You really are seeing a more entire picture than seeing a sliver" of a screen, he said.
    Mr. Chen said that the battery will last 36 hours and a large antenna will benefit reception, while the keyboard can also be used for scrolling through content displayed on the screen.
    BlackBerry will launch the phone simultaneously Wednesday in Toronto, London and Dubai. The Passport will also be available "immediately" in some stores, and in one to two weeks "a lot of places will have it," including markets in Asia, Mr. Chen said.
    BlackBerry in November will also launch the latest version of its device-management software, and will likely release in December its Classic smartphone, Mr. Chen said, which is designed to appeal to fans of its keyboard and email services.
    Mr. Chen, who took over at the once-dominant smartphone maker less than a year ago amid mounting losses and declining sales, has engineered a high-stakes makeover, with BlackBerry focusing on providing secure smartphone technology for the enterprise market.
    "The reason why our focus is so enterprise is because what we know how to do is security and productivity" he said. "Security, cybersecurity, personal identity protection. This is going to be a big deal."
    Mr. Chen also conceded that BlackBerry hasn't gained much ground in Asia, with theexception of Malaysia and Indonesia.
    "I think there's a tremendous amount of opportunity in both Southeast and North Asia," he said, without giving specifics on how the company plans to tackle these markets.
    "Next year the focus has got to be on growth" Mr. Chen said. "Growth comes from vertical products. Better phones, newer technology."
    Analysts are skeptical, however, that BlackBerry's new phone will help the company turn around.
    The Passport is a "good phone, but it will never really hit the mainstream as a premium offering," said Daniel Pang, a researcher with IDC Malaysia. "Most consumers are too invested in other platforms" such as Android or iOS, he said.
    Mr. Pang said BlackBerry's market share in Southeast Asia is "next to nothing" except in Indonesia, where the company has made gains since it launched its low-cost Z3 smartphone in May."
    bungaboy, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 12 others like this.
    09-22-14 07:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    For anybody with a subscription to WSJ

BlackBerry CEO: New Smartphone Will Cost $599 - WSJ
    09-22-14 07:18 AM
    Here you go, cj!

BlackBerry CEO: New Smartphone Will Cost $599 - WSJ

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-eq546_blackb_g_20140922064914.jpg

BlackBerry CEO: New Smartphone Will Cost $599

Passport Smartphone Is Company's First Device Launch Since BlackBerry 10

SINGAPORE— BlackBerry Ltd. plans to sell its new square-screen smartphone at a lower price than rival products, as the company attempts to regain some of the ground it has lost in the global market.

BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said in an interview Monday that its Passport smartphone, which will go on sale starting Wednesday, will cost $599 in the U.S. without subsidies. The phone will be priced differently in some other countries based on taxes and tariffs, he noted.

Mr. Chen said that compared with similar smartphones produced by competitors, the Passport should cost in the $700 range. "But I figure that to try to get the market interested, we're going to start a little lower than that."

Apple Inc.'s new iPhone 6 starts at $649 without contract, while the iPhone 6 Plus costs $749 without a contract. Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone went on sale in the U.S. earlier this year for about $650 depending on the carrier.

The release of the handset, which has a 4.5-inch square screen and BlackBerry's signature physical keyboard, will be the first global launch of a device since the company's BlackBerry 10 phones flopped in 2013. While the company has begun to focus more on its core enterprise business, it must also use innovative new consumer products to lure enterprise users, Mr. Chen said.

The Waterloo, Ontario, firm hasn't talked about the device's features ahead of its launch. But Mr. Chen, who was visiting Singapore Monday, said the phone's larger screen would appeal to users who need to be productive on their phones, such as those working in the medical field. The Passport's screen size and high resolution allows users to view 60 characters on each line, which is substantially more than typical, rectangular smartphones such as iPhones.

"You really are seeing a more entire picture than seeing a sliver" of a screen, he said.

Mr. Chen said that the battery will last 36 hours and a large antenna will benefit reception, while the keyboard can also be used for scrolling through content displayed on the screen.

BlackBerry will launch the phone simultaneously Wednesday in Toronto, London and Dubai. The Passport will also be available "immediately" in some stores, and in one to two weeks "a lot of places will have it," including markets in Asia, Mr. Chen said.

BlackBerry in November will also launch the latest version of its device-management software, and will likely release in December its Classic smartphone, Mr. Chen said, which is designed to appeal to fans of its keyboard and email services.

Mr. Chen, who took over at the once-dominant smartphone maker less than a year ago amid mounting losses and declining sales, has engineered a high-stakes makeover, with BlackBerry focusing on providing secure smartphone technology for the enterprise market.

"The reason why our focus is so enterprise is because what we know how to do is security and productivity" he said. "Security, cybersecurity, personal identity protection. This is going to be a big deal."

Mr. Chen also conceded that BlackBerry hasn't gained much ground in Asia, with the exception of Malaysia and Indonesia.

"I think there's a tremendous amount of opportunity in both Southeast and North Asia," he said, without giving specifics on how the company plans to tackle these markets.

"Next year the focus has got to be on growth" Mr. Chen said. "Growth comes from vertical products. Better phones, newer technology."

Analysts are skeptical, however, that BlackBerry's new phone will help the company turn around.

The Passport is a "good phone, but it will never really hit the mainstream as a premium offering," said Daniel Pang, a researcher with IDC Malaysia. "Most consumers are too invested in other platforms" such as Android or iOS, he said.

Mr. Pang said BlackBerry's market share in Southeast Asia is "next to nothing" except in Indonesia, where the company has made gains since it launched its low-cost Z3 smartphone in May.
    Last edited by Corbu; 09-22-14 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Oops! Just noticed snejpa posted the contents... Thanks!
    09-22-14 07:22 AM
    Have they finally gotten the price correct for a launch
    Mr BBRY, georg4BB, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-22-14 07:29 AM
    Simply for the pleasure of reading such a headline... We may not be there yet but it's been a while...

Climate change and BlackBerry comeback ? 5 things to watch for this week - Fortune

3. BlackBerry tries to make a comeback.

BlackBerry will host an invite-only event simultaneously in London, Dubai and Toronto on Wednesday. The company is calling the event “See the Bigger Picture,” and insiders are expecting a reveal of the BlackBerry Passport, a supposedly innovative smartphone with a 4.5-inch square screen. The Canadian smartphone maker recently announced its new phone that was designed in partnership with Porsche.

BlackBerry BBRY 1.30% has been working hard to turnaround faltering sales. Revenue had been rapidly declining over the past several years, but it showed signs of stabilizing in the company’s latest quarterly earnings in mid-June. The company will provide more financial results on Friday. Analysts expect a loss of 20 cents per share on sales of $945.5 million.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/cfo/2014/09/22/...without-a-cfo/

BlackBerry’s makeover is taking shape. Looks like BlackBerry Ltd.’s shift away from the consumer-device market is paying off—or, at the very least, stemming losses. The device maker under CEO John Chen has refocused efforts on its core business and government audience through services and a couple of key acquisitions aimed at mobile security and management. The company even plans to introduce a handset with a physical keyboard and square screen called the Passport on Sept. 24. BlackBerry’s shares have jumped 68% to $10.89 since Mr. Chen took over in November but are still 87% below where they stood five years ago.
    Have a good week, everyone! Should be interesting!
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    09-22-14 07:38 AM
    From the G&M. Same contents as the WSJ:

BlackBerry?s John Chen on new Passport: Big screen, lower cost than iPhone - The Globe and Mail

BlackBerry readies Passport

BlackBerry Ltd. plans to price its new Passport device below that of Apple’s new iPhone 6 and some other smartphones offered by its competitors.

The company is gearing up for a crucial week, with the expected launch of the Passport on Wednesday, in Toronto, Dubai and London, followed by quarterly results on Friday.

For chief executive officer John Chen, the Passport marks the first device since he took over the company and launched his turnaround drive.

In an interview in Singapore, Mr. Chen told The Wall Street Journal today that the Passport will be priced at $599 (U.S.) in the United States.

That’s without subsidies from carriers, and it’s less than Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and the latest in the Galaxy line from Samsung.

Mr. Chen told the news organization that the Passport should be priced at about $700, given the costs of its rivals, but that “I figure that to try to get the market interested, we’re going to start a little lower than that.”

The Passport boasts a square screen, at 4.5 inches, and a keyboard.

According to Mr. Chen, the battery will run for 36 hours.

Mr. Chen boasted about a bigger screen that the Journal said “allows users to view 60 characters on each line, which is substantially more than typical, rectangular smartphones such as iPhones.”

Or, as Mr. Chen put it, “you really are seeing a more entire picture than seeing a sliver.”

Mr. Chen’s comments came as Apple said today it sold more than 10 million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices “just three days after the launch,” setting a fresh record.

The Journal said the BlackBerry CEO also spoke about his focus on security for smartphones, an issue that takes on added importance by the day amid high-profile hacks and other breaches.

While embattled, BlackBerry, of course, is known for its security.

“The reason why our focus is so enterprise is because what we know how to do is security and productivity,” Mr. Chen told the news organization.

“Security, cybersecurity, personal identity production. This is going to be a big deal.”
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-22-14 08:01 AM
    So, as a recap, this is what was announced at June's EC:

July
    "We also launched Z3 yesterday in Vietnam and a number of additional countries are coming in the next week, including India."
    Blackberry Security Summit Event (NYC)
    BBM for Windows

September
    FY 15 device portfolio + Passport (London)
    BBM Meetings

November
    Classic
    BES12

December
    QNX cloud
    On top of that, we've had the Secusmart and Movirtu purchases.

Feel free to add if need be: BlackBerry Blend, 10.3, Project Ion...

I like this, from Chen's Singapore interview:

rarsen, Mr BBRY, lech31 and 9 others like this.
    09-22-14 08:14 AM
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/20..._r=0&referrer=

Good passport price.
    And THLD is under $4.20.
    Morganplus8 said under 4.20 may be good buy. Is it still the case?

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    rarsen, Mr BBRY and morganplus8 like this.
    09-22-14 09:01 AM
    Gang: there's nothing I can reveal now .
    But please just share my personal feeling right now regarding what you'll learn the 24th : WOW.

Edited : please note this is a personal feeling must not be considered as an advice to invest and that the general disclaimer in OP applies. Only trust your personal research before investing.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-22-14 at 03:10 PM.
    Mr BBRY, 3_M4N, sidhuk and 25 others like this.
    09-22-14 09:35 AM
    Gang: there's nothing I can reveal now (I'm under NDA).
    But please just share my personal feeling right now regarding what you'll learn the 24th :

WOW
    YAY!!! I have no clue what it could be, but you just got me VERY excited! Thanks, SF!
    sidhuk, q649, georg4BB and 3 others like this.
    09-22-14 09:38 AM
    If Superfly is happy, I'm definitely happy! Great start to the week (seeing green on Monday of earnings week is a good sign)! Can't wait to learn what's in store! This guy seems to be expecting good news as well:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2511...4-within-weeks

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    Shanerredflag and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-22-14 09:46 AM
    But please just share my personal feeling right now regarding what you'll learn the 24th :

WOW
    Oh I can keep a secret :P

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 09:59 AM
    I am curious how many of the regulars here will buy the Passport? On launch? Eventually?

I will say I have decided not to, I have the Z30 which is a very good phone and the physical keyboard isn't as important to me as it used to be I am perfectly happy with the BB10 keyboard or SwiftKey on Android. I think the footprint of the Passport too large/wide for me I recently "downsized" from the Galaxy Note 3 to the LG G3 on Android for example the very large footprint of the Note had really grown too large for me and I feel the width of the Passport also would not appeal to me.

I am very happy that BlackBerry has seemingly listened to it's fan base and price the new phone where I would say it's competitive. Just reading through this blog recently it seems that $599 or equivalent was about where most of the folks here on CrackBerry were hoping it would come in so I expect a good sized surge on launch from the folks here - the believers I would call them. From there hopefully their evangelism combined with some actual marketing this time by BlackBerry will get others interested in the phones. I still to this date, have not seen a Z30 other than my own in the wild.

I am hoping we see the Z30's successor very soon with similar internals to the Passport - that would be a launch day order for me.
    09-22-14 09:59 AM
    I am curious how many of the regulars here will buy the Passport? On launch? Eventually?

I will say I have decided not to, I have the Z30 which is a very good phone and the physical keyboard isn't as important to me as it used to be I am perfectly happy with the BB10 keyboard or SwiftKey on Android. I think the footprint of the Passport too large/wide for me I recently "downsized" from the Galaxy Note 3 to the LG G3 on Android for example the very large footprint of the Note had really grown too large for me and I feel the width of the Passport also would not appeal to me.

I am very happy that BlackBerry has seemingly listened to it's fan base and price the new phone where I would say it's competitive. Just reading through this blog recently it seems that $599 or equivalent was about where most of the folks here on CrackBerry were hoping it would come in so I expect a good sized surge on launch from the folks here - the believers I would call them. From there hopefully their evangelism combined with some actual marketing this time by BlackBerry will get others interested in the phones. I still to this date, have not seen a Z30 other than my own in the wild.

I am hoping we see the Z30's successor very soon with similar internals to the Passport - that would be a launch day order for me.
    I will buy one as soon as it's available. At $599, it's cheaper than the $780 i paid for my wife's Z10.
    09-22-14 10:03 AM
    WOW
    Thanks for sharing your excitement, but my curiosity level is unbearable now,
    Mr BBRY, jxnb, Superfly_FR and 1 others like this.
    09-22-14 10:04 AM
    The release of the pricing today in regards to the passport has closed the deal for me, I was actually anxiously waiting for that to be leaked. The pricing is great imho I was going to wait a couple of months for the price to go down but I don't think that's necessary now. I will be giving up my Z30 because as much as i like it i HATE all touch phones. I just hope it shows up on shopblackberry right after launch because there is no way i'm giving rogers any more of my business they screwed me enough times
    09-22-14 10:05 AM
    I'm kind of surprised Chen leaked so much information just before the launch and ER. I wonder what else he has up his sleeve...
    09-22-14 10:09 AM
113,252 ... 28522853285428552856 ...