View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    With this virtual new sim deal, it puts BlackBerry in a spot where they may be in constant touch with majority of world's cellular providers. At least BlackBerry will have something which is attractive again. It is known fact that when business connections are in touch more often, they create more business among themselves.

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    09-11-14 09:38 AM
    Ok guys, so, this time we fight against billions of fans : tally-ho !!!
    Which new smartphone has you most fired up? | The Verge
    I like the caption at the passport picture:

You've never seen a smartphone quite like the Passport. If innovation is measured by how new and different a device is, the Passport wins this year's prize easily.
    If BlackBerry could transform the poll result of 7% into marketshare...

Edit: 14% and growing
    Last edited by georg4BB; 09-11-14 at 10:49 AM.
    09-11-14 09:53 AM
    Ok guys, so, this time we fight against billions of fans : tally-ho !!!
    Once more in to the breach!

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Greened like this.
    09-11-14 09:53 AM
    I like the caption at the passport picture:

If BlackBerry could transform the poll result of 7% into marketshare...
    Half of that would put bbry at $20 IMO. However, looking at the last short numbers of about 90 millions, I am still clueless. Those numbers didn't go away I am dying to know the logic.

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    09-11-14 09:56 AM
    Some additional details here:
    BlackBerry buys service that lets you have two numbers on one smartphone | Toronto Star

BlackBerry Ltd. has acquired mobile technology company Movirtu Ltd., shoring up its smartphone-management features as it targets business users.

London-based Movirtu uses a virtual SIM card-enabling customers to connect more than one phone number to a single device. The service lets employees who use one phone for work and home to switch easily between business and personal profiles with billing clearly separated, the Waterloo-based company said in a statement today.

As BlackBerry’s share of the smartphone market has diminished, the company has shifted focus to selling software-based services to businesses and governments and exploiting the bring-your-own-device trend, where employees use work-related apps and features on their personal phones. Gartner Inc. predicts half of employers will ask workers to use their own phones for business by 2017.

“We’ve been very clear as part of our turnaround strategy that we had full intention to not only manage BlackBerry devices but to manage iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices,” John Sims, head of BlackBerry’s enterprise services business, said in a phone interview. “It’s a sizable market opportunity.”

BlackBerry plans to start offering the phone-splitting software to customers early next year, Sims said.

Founded in 2008, Movirtu is run by CEO Carsten Brinkschulte and has 22 employees. It received $5.5 million in a 2010 funding round.
    09-11-14 09:57 AM
    I would be surprised to not hear about a BlackBerry and Dell partnership soon. If it turns out to be Microsoft it will be much more than a IBM/Apple partnership, more like a complete acquisition of BlackBerry, and imho JC will need at least another year to unlock sufficient shareholder value. JC has a strategy for the next 2 years mapped out in his head & he won't sit still. In fact, he's implementing faster than any competitor out there. So my bet is on Dell. And as more and more competitors are announcing their newly formed partnerships/agreements it just makes too much sense to me. Chances are, they were in discussions with BlackBerry too... but BlackBerry had already chosen their dance partner?

“I am working on some, and maybe we will collaborate with others,” Chen told the Financial Times. “If I focus on security and identity management then we will be a good solid partner in this enterprise world.”

John Chen looking for dance partner to compete against IBM and Apple | MobileSyrup.com
    09-11-14 10:07 AM
    I would be surprised to not hear about a BlackBerry and Dell partnership soon. If it turns out to be Microsoft it will be much more than a IBM/Apple partnership, more like a complete acquisition of BlackBerry, and imho JC will need at least another year to unlock sufficient shareholder value. JC has a strategy for the next 2 years mapped out in his head & he won't sit still. In fact, he's implementing faster than any competitor out there. So my bet is on Dell. And as more and more competitors are announcing their newly formed partnerships/agreements it just makes too much sense to me. Chances are, they were in discussions with BlackBerry too... but BlackBerry had already chosen their dance partner?

“I am working on some, and maybe we will collaborate with others,” Chen told the Financial Times. “If I focus on security and identity management then we will be a good solid partner in this enterprise world.”

John Chen looking for dance partner to compete against IBM and Apple | MobileSyrup.com
    I totally agree with your thinking in all of this but at the same time, it makes me very nervous when we talk about partnering with certain companies. I want BlackBerry to grow their business organically, by purchasing start-ups just like the one today, and to take the technology and patents away from the whales out there. I have often said that BlackBerry is just one cool phone away from hitting that $ 100.00/shr mark, they just need to work their way through the nonsense and continue to buy up technology while developing their own. I'm perfectly okay with them dropping a $ 1 B on acquisitions as each time they make a purchase they take technology off the table for others.

Having said all of that, at some point, BB will achieve scale in a way that other companies will have to do business with them, let's get there and then work a partnership from strength. I feel BB is vulnerable right now, they can't ward off a take-over and would be crazy to partner with anyone that wants some ownership/stake in the company. We have just absorbed a huge chunk of diluted stock from Prem, let's create internal value (book value) and get beyond that hardship first, then talk about partnerships. I'm coming from a place where I, like many others, want this to become a success story for BlackBerry and not BB and a partner, poor way to invest but I'm stuck on it remaining a Canadian brand and success story 5 years from now!
    Last edited by morganplus8; 09-11-14 at 10:57 AM.
    09-11-14 10:35 AM
    By end of March 2015 the 'blackberry is going bankrupt' story will be completely buried
    Isn't it already ? I've not read such stories for weeks, not to say for months ...

Current status :
    Verge Poll : in the 12%s
    Stock ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

That's a pretty nice day, fellas !
    09-11-14 10:40 AM
    [...]
    Having said all of that, at some point, BB will achieve scale in a way that other companies will have to do business with them, let's get there and then work a partnership from strength. I feel BB is vulnerable right now, they can't ward off a take-over and would be crazy to partner with anyone that wants some ownership/stake in the company. We have just absorbed a huge chunk of diluted stock from Prem, let's create internal value (book value) and get beyond that hardship first, then talk about partnerships. I'm coming from a place where I, like many others, want this to become a success story for BlackBerry and not BB and a partner, poor way to invest but I'm stuck on it remaining a Canadian brand and success story 5 years from now!
    The bigger the risk, the better the dough ? I believe J.C is on pair with that, at least for now.(edit: and that's fine for us, long players !)
    Yet, I still believe a partnership with a major enterprise actor (and I believe I have now to tick down SAP, unfortunately) could raise a larger and anticipated confidence in the future of BlackBerry. (edit2 : I'm talking about software, not hardware, not fan of the Dell option ...).
    On the consumers side, as you stated, organic growth is somehow mandatory as average margins are now under the 10-15% scope (apple excepted), even for massive vendors. Not to speak about Chinese offering that may soon grin a lot of market share worldwide ...
    09-11-14 10:47 AM
    I totally agree with your thinking in all of this but at the same time, it makes me very nervous when we talk about partnering with certain companies. I want BlackBerry to grow their business organically, by purchasing start-ups just like the one today, and to take the technology and patents way from the whales out there. I have often said that BlackBerry is just one cool phone away from hitting that $ 100.00/shr mark, they just need to work their way through the nonsense and continue to buy up technology while developing their own. I'm perfectly okay with them dropping a $ 1 B on acquisitions as each time they make a purchase they take technology off the table for others.

Morgan, I had to repost this. Exactly my thoughts... and expressed way better than I could have done myself! Thanks!
    09-11-14 10:49 AM
    I totally agree with your thinking in all of this but at the same time, it makes me very nervous when we talk about partnering with certain companies. I want BlackBerry to grow their business organically, by purchasing start-ups just like the one today, and to take the technology and patents way from the whales out there. I have often said that BlackBerry is just one cool phone away from hitting that $ 100.00/shr mark, they just need to work their way through the nonsense and continue to buy up technology while developing their own. I'm perfectly okay with them dropping a $ 1 B on acquisitions as each time they make a purchase they take technology off the table for others.

I think it all depend on what kind of partnership are we talking about here. Software partnership with SAP developing enterprise applications for bb10 would be a great partnership. A hardware partnership with dell not so much what can dell do for BBRY that blackberry cant already do for itself.
    09-11-14 10:49 AM
    That's not a real commercial for the iphone. Right? .... No of course not.

Posted via CB10
    Only if Someone hacked Apple Youtube account aswell
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-14 10:53 AM
    Asking for an opinion from the experts here

The stock is up quite a bit here. I assume it has to do with today's acquisition. What signals does this send to am investor?

A) great acquisition so stock goes up?
    B) confidence that the company had turned the ship and has finances to back it up?

Interesting that they made two major acquisitions prior to the ER

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-14 11:14 AM
    Morgan, I had to repost this. Exactly my thoughts... and expressed way better than I could have done myself! Thanks!

Oh Corbu!!

It's not worthy of a re-post at all, it is actually a flaw in my business acumen that I'm so hesitant to allow a partnership today. A hardened business person would take on all aspects of the business including a hardware partnership with a company like Dell, I would run from that deal, even if it leaves value on the table for BlackBerry. We are in a leveraged business model/sector, we need a differentiator from the class of mobile communicators and we will grow organically for years to come. You can feel the opportunities around us, security, internet of things, social media, it's all there and we are good at each of these now. To partner with Dell leaves us with a limitation that is "Dell" and their business model which is failing. I'm using Dell as my example but there are so many other companies that I would run from especially Apple! That association we don't need, now, SAP, or Samsung for security and mass markets, there might be something there worth pursuing. I want incremental margins on a mass scale and no stake in our company to get there, plain and simple.

I'm not in this for a quick buck, I hope Chen sees his $ 88 M package as something that could be $ 500 M one day, think big, think 5-years of careful and strategic development, that's what I want to see for BB. Thanks for your kind words!
    95aero, W Hoa, _dimi_ and 12 others like this.
    09-11-14 11:16 AM
    I totally agree with your thinking in all of this but at the same time, it makes me very nervous when we talk about partnering with certain companies. I want BlackBerry to grow their business organically, by purchasing start-ups just like the one today, and to take the technology and patents away from the whales out there. I have often said that BlackBerry is just one cool phone away from hitting that $ 100.00/shr mark, they just need to work their way through the nonsense and continue to buy up technology while developing their own. I'm perfectly okay with them dropping a $ 1 B on acquisitions as each time they make a purchase they take technology off the table for others.

Thanks everyone for your opinions so far!

I'm actually not a fan of the option 'Microsoft acquisition' either. But any company with the size and means of Microsoft would be almost obligated to its shareholders to try and acquire BlackBerry. Remember the (pretty much) confirmed rumour that Amazon had hired investment bankers when RIMM (back in 2011) was trading at > 35 usd? Well, I suspect the deal never went through because either the company wasn't for sale, or the risks at the time seemed too high for Amazon. The risk has gone down by a lot, their future seems bright, and at 35 usd per share (if the bond gets converted into shares before the potential acquisition) the company would be worth approx. 22 billion usd. Whatsapp was bought for 19 billion usd So it's definitely not impossible.

Now, I see the Dell agreement/partnership take place because they seem to have a very experienced and large sales force, which would help BlackBerry a lot as they need to gain traction in the enterprise segment quickly. I would compare it to IBM/Apple. Now, if BlackBerry is just 1 popular device away from our 100 usd party, I hope they pull it off! But if Dell, at some point in time during their collaboration, could purchase the hardware patents/manufacturing facilities in exchange for a large chunk of money... BlackBerry could do some really nice acquisitions with these funds that could make them 100% independent from hardware sales.

I believe that is still their main goal..
    09-11-14 11:23 AM
    09-11-14 11:25 AM
    Asking for an opinion from the experts here

The stock is up quite a bit here. I assume it has to do with today's acquisition. What signals does this send to am investor?

A) great acquisition so stock goes up?
    B) confidence that the company had turned the ship and has finances to back it up?

Interesting that they made two major acquisitions prior to the ER

Posted via CB10
    These are some good questions, I will give you my personal believe but in no way should you take my ideas as gospel!

I think BlackBerry is a pure play right now, it has a bond issue over-hanging the price of the stock, it has a media that has been conditioned into believing small = failure and large = success forever (AAPL). For the stock to be up today indicates to me that the world sees BlackBerry reducing it's cash on hand as a good thing. There was a time not too long ago that a reduction in cash was a bad thing so the times are a changing! So in my humble opinion, the market has spoken, the stock is up nicely on the news that we dumped cash into a business that won't be accretive to earnings. That's a huge win for BlackBerry.

To compare the action of the stock today, you only have to look at AAPL, it is dead, the stock can't go higher, nothing can help that company prosper now, they are so vulnerable to a large correction and it doesn't matter what they announce, it's a problem with scale, you can't move that elephant again no matter what news you come out with. At some point, the share buy-back will end, or, it will be overcome by sellers wanting to get out of Dodge.

BlackBerry is the total opposite, it has baggage all around it, the media, the bond issue, the lack of hardware sales when we all know there is life after hardware. To see the stock make a run for its channel high of $ 10.80/shr today, you know we are setting up for brighter days ahead. We did this with no share buy-backs at all. There is a fraternity of investors who believe in BlackBerry today, even with the issues it is dealing with, as mentioned above.
    _dimi_, lech31, W Hoa and 13 others like this.
    09-11-14 11:34 AM
    Morgan, it could be that I'm throwing around 'partnership' and 'agreement' without recognizing a material difference between both. I don't want them to take a stake in BlackBerry either.. just sales in return for commission.
    09-11-14 11:36 AM
    That has to be the worst piece of reporting I have seen in awhile. I wonder how many more reports dragging out old and misleading pieces of information will come out today to try to push the stock back down.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 11:46 AM
    Morgan, it could be that I'm throwing around 'partnership' and 'agreement' without recognizing a material difference between both. I don't want them to take a stake in BlackBerry either.. just sales in return for commission.
    Hi _dimi_ !!

Hey, this whole concept of partnering is my issue, not yours my friend, I have all but admitted that I need counselling for my emotional tie to BlackBerry. I don't hold an emotional tie to any other stock on the planet but I do have a problem with this one. If I sat in a boardroom with Chen, and he mentioned Dell, I would have to leave the room. I see where you are coming from, on a level of incremental returns for services and something for a shared device, BlackBerry could "partner up" with a Dell and move ahead. I see Dell as the poor choice here, that's just me, I like Samsung for other reasons, they aren't blacklisted as a failure in any respect, they in fact do fail at many things though (proprietary OS and Android (lacking security flaw) come to mind) and that's what I like about them. Samsung is not capable of ruining BB, they need a company like BlackBerry to help them and that is a partnership/agreement I can live with. I love the idea of SAP but at what cost? I don't want them joining forces with a company that joins forces with the enemy so to speak. I hate MSFT in every way possible!

Keep up the great posts I was in no way trying to single you out here! I had some free time and ........................ I talk a lot!
    Corbu, _dimi_, Superfly_FR and 8 others like this.
    09-11-14 12:03 PM
    These are some good questions, I will give you my personal believe but in no way should you take my ideas as gospel!

I think BlackBerry is a pure play right now, it has a bond issue over-hanging the price of the stock, it has a media that has been conditioned into believing small = failure and large = success forever (AAPL). For the stock to be up today indicates to me that the world sees BlackBerry reducing it's cash on hand as a good thing. There was a time not too long ago that a reduction in cash was a bad thing so the times are a changing! So in my humble opinion, the market has spoken, the stock is up nicely on the news that we dumped cash into a business that won't be accretive to earnings. That's a huge win for BlackBerry.

To compare the action of the stock today, you only have to look at AAPL, it is dead, the stock can't go higher, nothing can help that company prosper now, they are so vulnerable to a large correction and it doesn't matter what they announce, it's a problem with scale, you can't move that elephant again no matter what news you come out with. At some point, the share buy-back will end, or, it will be overcome by sellers wanting to get out of Dodge.

BlackBerry is the total opposite, it has baggage all around it, the media, the bond issue, the lack of hardware sales when we all know there is life after hardware. To see the stock make a run for its channel high of $ 10.80/shr today, you know we are setting up for brighter days ahead. We did this with no share buy-backs at all. There is a fraternity of investors who believe in BlackBerry today, even with the issues it is dealing with, as mentioned above.
    Great synopses. We'll have to see how this plays out. Still holding long

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_, rarsen, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    09-11-14 12:05 PM
    LoL,
    this guy may have to call this a Spam, must be kicking himself for creating this poll. cause Passport is leading all of a sudden.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-poll.png
    09-11-14 12:14 PM

If I sat in a boardroom with Chen, and he mentioned Dell, I would have to leave the room.
    LOL
    morganplus8, iamagod and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-11-14 12:18 PM
    LoL,
    this guy may have to call this a Spam, must be kicking himself for creating this poll. cause Passport is leading all of a sudden.
    Actually the guy did a great comment about how the passport is THE real innovative device.
    Usual rants will happen about how we manage to rally the troups in this poll. Guess what, that the best sign we can have, as nowhere a tiny user base (comp to aapl) have shown such dedication to a brand. (and then, maybe, some will remember all the work a deprecated Frank Boulben did to build from scratch this social involvement => multiplicated by Chen's achievement, read me the good way, please !).

Edited : searching for marketing reference I found this, I didn't see before :
    Q&A: BlackBerry's New Marketing Chief Wilson Discusses Challenges

We have several endorsers, such as Arianna Huffington, who are just avid users -- she has four BlackBerry devices. So instead of having paid endorsers that you see from several brands, we're just using people who are die-hard fans. So we're doing more of that. We feel that it's very organic and very true to the brand.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-11-14 at 01:07 PM.
    09-11-14 12:31 PM
    [...] Now, I see the Dell agreement/partnership take place because they seem to have a very experienced and large sales force [...]
    You nailed a strategic point we've got not concrete answers yet. The distribution Channel.
    In this area, there's still a lot to acomplish and I'm not sure direct sales (website) will be enough, especially for consumers. But, (almost) like apple./ IBM or Erricson/SAP, it is a distribution agreement ...
    And then, I can live with that, any day !
    _dimi_, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    09-11-14 12:34 PM
113,250 ... 28312832283328342835 ...