View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry, couldn't resist ...
    Any unfair and nasty parallel with the celeb's and their devices is 100% intended

See the sheep ?
    "Statistic : 0% of Orangina drinkers have been attacked by sick bird. Stay alive, drink Orangina"
    (replace with the brand of your likes)
    rarsen, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    09-04-14 04:55 AM
    Lot of the old stuff repeated here but its interesting to note the optimism on the Z3. Only hope that he is conservative in his estimates like his boss JC and not generating hype like Heins did.

We are seeing the traction growing for us: Blackberry India MD - Business Today
    09-04-14 04:55 AM
    OT for those BB Investors planning to buy a Tesla car, can consult this site which periodically has information on building the brand:

Tesla Gigafactory Headed To Nevada (Unofficial Leak) | CleanTechnica

http://gas2.org/2014/07/22/tesla-mod...iversity-team/

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/08/30/...eanTechnica%29

http://gas2.org/2014/08/30/tesla-mod...st-stolen-car/
    To help convince the wife...
    Last edited by rarsen; 09-04-14 at 06:35 AM.
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    09-04-14 06:06 AM
    IBM Can Help Apple?s Trust Issues but Blackberry Could Steal Share - Datamation

By Rob Enderle

The nude celeb hacking scandal suggests that Apple could use IBM’s help.

Apple can’t be trusted. With the release of nude pictures of celebrities this is likely the same conclusion many of you are reaching today. In the end this is probably where IBM can provide the greatest value in their new partnership with Apple because IBM understands that, with an Enterprise, trust is likely the most important value a vendor can provide.

But Apple doesn’t understand that, recreated under the paranoid vision of one of its founders, Apple doesn’t really trust anyone and constantly sees reinforcement for this belief in the massive and increasing number of leaks that surround the company. This is what makes the IBM Partnership critical to Apple’s expansion efforts – IBM knows what must be done. The question is whether Apple will trust them enough to help.

At the Core of Apple’s Problem

Apple’s leading feature is ease of use and unfortunately this often moves contrary to the needs of the enterprise to secure communications platforms. But you can see in their response to the security breach that one of the practices Apple uses is to push the blame back on the customer for problems. (Apple denies that the breach was the result of a flaw in iCloud.) Yes the celebrities that had their pictures shared did stupid things but that was largely because Apple defaulted off protections that could have protected them like dual factor authentication and did make them aware of the risk of using trivial passwords.

As Wired reports, iPhones are hacked regularly with private pictures and documents shared widely on the web by people without authority to view them.

Enterprise buyers expect a vendor to be up front with problems and while they are often disappointed these disappointments are generally a violation of policy not an execution of it. Apple protects its image and brand vigorously and won’t accept blame unless there is no other choice, even when it actually is at least partially their problem.

Recall the Antennagate scandal. Apple was adamant there was no problem, claimed other phones did the same thing, and if you held the phone properly – kind of like a well-trained maiden holds a teacup with her fingertips – the antenna worked fine. They then brought in IBM to fix the antenna, fired the executive responsible, and were sued in a class action and paid a settlement.

So Apple’s core problem is they don’t accept blame easily, aggressively pass the blame to users/buyers, and don’t often fix problems unless sued. That may work with consumers (well if they don’t sue you) but not with enterprise buyers, who don’t like having to sue vendors at all.

IBM’s Ability to Help

This is nearly polar opposite to how IBM approaches the Enterprise market. They’ve learned the hard way to accept blame and avoid blaming IT publically, even if it’s largely IT’s mess to clean up. They track how long it takes from when a problem is identified to when it is fixed and wouldn’t think of blaming a problem with the design of a product on the user/customer. They share their plans and they do massive testing to make sure their offerings are secure, will integrate into a customer’s shop, and won’t embarrass the buyer, user, or decision maker.

If IBM can overlay these practices through the Apple partnership, Apple will become a far more acceptable vendor through IBM then they are now. And if Apple learns from them they’ll likely be a better vendor for users as well.

Blackberry’s Opportunity

Blackberry has a pretty significant opportunity to step in and both better secure iPhone customers and get high profile customers to come back to Blackberry for phones. They are the only one of the smartphone vendors which has remained focused on security and their cross platform management and encryption tools now span data and voice, making them uniquely safe in this unsecure market. Currently they are the only vendor aggressively looking at encrypting all of the communication in a smartphone, even voice. And if naked pictures of celebrities are valuable think what candid phone conversations would be worth?

Until and unless IBM can improve Apple’s relationship with IT and their overall approach to security Blackberry may be the safest harbor for those concerned with security.

Wrapping Up: Customer Loyalty Risk And Advice

Apple enjoys one of the highest customer loyalty scores in the industry but, unlike an increasing number of enterprise vendors, they don’t measure executives on this score. They appear to take it for granted except when it comes to promoting products. The downside to this approach is that they don’t protect their advocates and they don’t control them either, which is why things went sideways with the nude pictures this week.

IBM is not nearly as good at creating loyalty as Apple but they are far better at protecting it, and IBM does measure its executives on customer loyalty. If Apple can learn and get timely help from IBM the combination could be incredible for the enterprise. If they can’t, Blackberry remains a more secure, more IT focused solution. And until the Apple problem is fixed you likely should move to or stay with Blackberry for secure communications so your secrets don’t become embarrassingly public.

Many of the professionals I know have iPhones and Blackberries. The iPhones are for fun, the Blackberries for work. I wouldn’t advise putting nude pictures on either of them.
    09-04-14 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd Promotes Security After iCloud Incident

finally a article with a passport picture and not a old bb7 phone lol
    09-04-14 08:24 AM
    Anybody having problems with the new CB ap version? At times, I Can't seem to get the app to update the page by swiping from the top down, or to switch pages in the same fashion. Very frustrating...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, sidhuk, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    09-04-14 08:42 AM
    Anybody having problems with the new CB ap version? At times, I Can't seem to get the app to update the page by swiping from the top down, or to switch pages in the same fashion. Very frustrating...

Posted via CB10
    I think it need a slower, longer swipe down now.
    ZayDub likes this.
    09-04-14 08:48 AM
    rarsen, lcjr, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    09-04-14 08:50 AM
    So I posted the CBC report on the icloud hacked celebrity nudes on my facebook page. I posted "Protect you nude selfies own a BLACKBERRY. Loving my Z10" Now I have over 100 comments back from friends. This is how you spread the word why BB is better than apple. So here's the TMZ report from yesterday and today's show was great (I will post tomorrow). I sure hope people start switching back and realize the Amazing Blackberry phones BB10, BBM,and overall Protection. Here's TMZ Tuesday Link: tmz.com/videos/0_gjuw180q/
    True, there is even a guy on CB that came up with this ad soon after the naked iCloudgate, and it was actually picked up by BlackBerry on Twitter!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-ad.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140903_105529.png

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    09-04-14 09:05 AM
    09-04-14 09:10 AM
    Glad I picked up those additional shares at $10.25 a week or two ago! Cheers! #TeamBlackBerry

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    09-04-14 09:52 AM
    What a difference a year makes...

FWIW:
    BBRY: Technical Indicators Show BlackBerry Turning Around

After ten months of constant decline, BlackBerry Ltd’s 200-day moving average stabilized in July and then started to move up at the end of last month, giving technical traders reason to think that the stock has real upside potential. With all the buzz around the new BlackBerry Passport slated to debut on September 24, this could be the opportunity the company has been looking for to prove its skeptics wrong.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-technicals-0914.png

BlackBerry has pushed against $11.60 twice in the last year and fallen back

“A breakout on increased volume across US$10.40 starts the ball rolling for the stock to test important resistance at US$11.60,” writes National Bank Financial analyst Dennis Mark. “An upside breakout at US$11.60 will be an important breakthrough that turns the trend up and suggests much higher potential.”

BlackBerry Ltd stock hit $11.60 a year ago when Prem Watsa announced that he would wanted to take the company private, and then again two months ago following a big earnings beat and growing excitement about the new Passport model smartphone. If the stock, now at $10.60, crosses $11.60 then it would mean the market is really reconsidering the company’s chances. Mark also points out that both the 200-day and 50-day moving averages have turned positive, so there seems to be a good chance that ceiling could budge.

Passport release, iCloud hack give BlackBerry a big opportunity

Moving away from technicals, BlackBerry Ltd has two big ways to capitalize on its recent price momentum, and it’s trying to take full advantage of both. First, the September 24 rollout of the Passport in Dubai, London, and Toronto gives BlackBerry a chance to make a big splash with a new phone. Timing the release to go up against the iPhone 6, also highly anticipated, shows how confident CEO John Chen must be that the Passport will connect with users. Of course, another underwhelming product launch would only reaffirm bears’ feeling that the brand can’t be salvaged outside the most security-minded users.

But here again BlackBerry Ltd has a big opportunity. The high profile iCloud hack and leak if celebrities’ private photos has showcased how important security has become when so much of our personal data is in the cloud. BlackBerry has been promoting tweets that take aim at Apple Inc. security or praise its own. If it takes that campaign a step further and gets BlackBerrys in the hands of newly security conscious celebrities it could even be the break it needs to regain the cool factor that iPhones have had for years.
    09-04-14 10:13 AM
    And here we go for the marketing ... (I'm still cautious abt it ...)

Experts: Celebrity Hacking Scandal Reinforces BlackBerry's Security Leadership | Inside BlackBerry

edit : turns out to be more a media collection ("Experts" has been turned into "Media:" in the artcile. Nice move; they don't get involved themselves/namely )
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-04-14 at 11:21 AM.
    lcjr, morganplus8, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    09-04-14 10:46 AM
    And here we go for the marketing ... (I'm still cautious abt it ...)

Experts: Celebrity Hacking Scandal Reinforces BlackBerry's Security Leadership | Inside BlackBerry

edit : turns out to be more a media collection ("Experts" has been turned into "Media:" in the artcile. Nice move; they don't get involved themselves/namely )
    I thought it was a good article until the twitter posts.

I'm reminded of the e.coli scare at Jack in the Box (US based fast food chain) back in the early 90's. When the outbreak happened, reports were that the CEOs of competitors called the CEO of Jack in the Box and offered their support and encouragement. They also pledged not to take advantage of the situation because the outbreak could have easily happened to them.

BlackBerry needs to tread very carefully here. They can make mistakes too. Only, if they make a security mistake, they will most likely pay a much higher price than any competitor out there. The public will (and has in the past) apply a false equivalency whereby BlackBerry's phones, despite all BlackBerry's security efforts, are nothing more than "security through obscurity" and no more secure than their beloved iPhone or Android. Certifications and effort won't matter to a public that takes pride in their ignorance.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-04-14 11:39 AM
    Some really refreshing news that could easily become huge headlines if (when) a partnership happens between this neighbor of ours.
    Notice IBM and Oracles names dropped within the interview. I like it:

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=eb7a-aac2

Plus, look who put it out. Not exactly a Seeking Alpha headline.

The definition of ecosystem is about to morph, with BlackBerry being the author.
    Superfly_FR, CDM76, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    09-04-14 11:50 AM
    thank you shorts. just 50 more cents down and you will trigger my buy.
    lcjr, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    09-04-14 12:00 PM
    I was thinking the same thing. Dang I'd like to pick up a few more if the price drops.
    09-04-14 12:12 PM
    OT: but still related to our competition. Apparently people lining up for the new iPhone are being paid to be there!

http://bgr.com/2014/09/04/apple-iphone-6-lines/

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, lcjr and 5 others like this.
    09-04-14 12:30 PM
    09-04-14 01:09 PM
    Don't think shorts have anything to do with the BBRY action today. BBRY is following the NASDAQ.
    theRock1975 and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-04-14 02:08 PM
    I am seeing a ton of Q10s in downtown Ottawa and less 9900s. I have a good feeling about the handset sales this quarter.

In this quarter:
    A rise in US marketshare (Kantar)
    Discounts in 5 G8 countries
    Z3 launching in 12 countries

No discounting in Canada likely due to strong demand.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:15 PM
    Don't think shorts have anything to do with the BBRY action today. BBRY is following the NASDAQ.
    LoL, still, would be nice if i could buy more.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    09-04-14 02:30 PM
    09-04-14 03:05 PM
    for a moment it looked like you showed middle finger to CNN. LoL
    More closer look confirmed it was thumbs up.
    CDM76, Corbu, neteng1000 and 4 others like this.
    09-04-14 03:15 PM
    So tomorrow I am depositing a lot more $$$ in my trading account. Problem is I still not positive want to pick up more BlackBerry.

The One thing holding me back is that I am wondering what the market expects from BlackBerry this quarter. Are they expecting break even? Trivial profits? Handset growth? Growth from all BlackBerry divisions? What are the expectations on wall street???? Anybody know where can find that?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:23 PM
113,256 ... 28172818281928202821 ...