Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...130000628.html
    10.2 named world's best mobile OS.
    Does that mean 10.3 will be named world's bestest?!

BB10 4 ME
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, lcjr and 9 others like this.
    08-22-14 08:35 AM
    MOBL upgraded to outperform. Called early leader in emm. Target $11
    08-22-14 09:06 AM
    forgot to add my LOL

MOBL upgraded to outperform. Called early leader in emm. Target $11
    08-22-14 09:06 AM
    I wonder if a lot of iPhone users are seeing this sort of thing?

You really want me to buy this iPhone 6, huh? #Apple https://t.co/T8rsmbLABh
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140822_101343.png

BB10 4 ME
    08-22-14 09:16 AM
    From another thread on CB.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...s-rate-954001/

Hacking Gmail with 92 Percent Success

UC Riverside assistant professor is among group that develops novel method to attack apps on Android, and likely other, operating systems.

UCR Today: Hacking Gmail with 92 Percent Success

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (UC Riverside: Home) � A team of researchers, including an assistant professor at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering, have identified a weakness believed to exist in Android, Windows and iOS mobile operating systems that could be used to obtain personal information from unsuspecting users. They demonstrated the hack in an Android phone.

The researchers tested the method and found it was successful between 82 percent and 92 percent of the time on six of the seven popular apps they tested. Among the apps they easily hacked were Gmail, CHASE Bank and H&R Block. Amazon, with a 48 percent success rate, was the only app they tested that was difficult to penetrate.

The paper, �Peeking into Your App without Actually Seeing It: UI State Inference and Novel Android Attacks ,� will be presented Friday, Aug. 22 at the 23rd USENIX Security Symposium in San Diego. Authors of the paper are Zhiyun Qian, of the Computer Science and Engineering Department at UC Riverside; Z. Morley Mao, an associate professor at the University of Michigan; and Qi Alfred Chen, a Ph.D. student working with Mao.

The researchers believe their method will work on other operating systems because they share a key feature researchers exploited in the Android system. However, they haven�t tested the program using the other systems.

The researchers started working on the method because they believed there was a security risk with so many apps being created by some many developers. Once a user downloads a bunch of apps to his or her smart phone they are all running on the same shared infrastructure, or operating system.

�The assumption has always been that these apps can�t interfere with each other easily,� Qian said. �We show that assumption is not correct and one app can in fact significantly impact another and result in harmful consequences for the user.�

The attack works by getting a user to download a seemingly benign, but actually malicious, app, such as one for background wallpaper on a phone. Once that app is installed, the researchers are able to exploit a newly discovered public side channel � the shared memory statistics of a process, which can be accessed without any privileges. (Shared memory is a common operating system feature to efficiently allow processes share data.)

The researchers monitor changes in shared memory and are able to correlate changes to what they call an �activity transition event,� which includes such things as a user logging into Gmail or H&R Block or a user taking a picture of a check so it can be deposited online, without going to a physical CHASE Bank. Augmented with a few other side channels, the authors show that it is possible to fairly accurately track in real time which activity a victim app is in.

There are two keys to the attack. One, the attack needs to take place at the exact moment the user is logging into the app or taking the picture. Two, the attack needs to be done in an inconspicuous way. The researchers did this by carefully calculating the attack timing.

�By design, Android allows apps to be preempted or hijacked,� Qian said. �But the thing is you have to do it at the right time so the user doesn�t notice. We do that and that�s what makes our attack unique.�

The researchers created three short videos that show how the attacks work. They can be viewed here: https://sites.google.com/site/uistat...ceattack/demos.

Here is a list of the seven apps the researchers attempted to attack and their success rates: Gmail (92 percent), H&R Block (92 percent), Newegg (86 percent), WebMD (85 percent), CHASE Bank (83 percent), Hotels.com (83 percent) and Amazon (48 percent).

Amazon was more difficult to attack because its app allows one activity to transition to almost any other activity, increasing the difficulty of guessing which activity it is currently in.

Asked what a smart phone user can do about this situation, Qian said, �Don�t install untrusted apps.� On the operating system design, a more careful tradeoff between security and functionality needs to be made in the future, he said. For example, side channels need to be eliminated or more explicitly regulated.
    Corbu, sidhuk, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    08-22-14 09:44 AM
    wow only nine (9) minutes. I wonder how you can not be next to a wall when after 9 minutes of use your phone battery is at 1%. god forbid I find on the ground this kind of phone and want to use it !

I wonder if a lot of iPhone users are seeing this sort of thing?

You really want me to buy this iPhone 6, huh? #Apple https://t.co/T8rsmbLABh
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140822_101343.png 
Views:	1126 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	292545

BB10 4 ME
    08-22-14 09:47 AM
    BBRY did not infringe Minformation patent, wont have to pay $147.2M per bloomberg
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 6 others like this.
    08-22-14 10:19 AM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...130000628.html
    10.2 named world's best mobile OS.
    Does that mean 10.3 will be named world's bestest?!

BB10 4 ME
    We all know it, but now it is official. Market wire has it up there news feed.
    The thing that hits me most is not proof of how great bb10 is, rather how BlackBerry is going about business to get back market share. Instead of penetrate straight into the USA and fail (a la Thorston H.) Chen is going 'by way of the world', hitting key emerging areas, and letting the 'west' find out that way.
    If in time this becomes fact, it is a pretty slick way of doing business.

What I want to see next is Chen using some of his Chinese connections (Bruce Lee reference ) to get us over there too.
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    08-22-14 10:29 AM

Wow, nice specs. Best take away for me:

LCD screen!
    4G Hotspot
    DLNA!
    19h of regular use + 8 hours standby (for those long business dealings that leave one forgetting to charge that night).

And, check out the blue tooth specs. This tells me that BlackBerry is really focusing in communication with other devices... say, medical?
    08-22-14 10:55 AM
    "USB 3.0 client interface supported with custom BlackBerry cable (notincluded in box)"

That's disappointing, they're taking a page out of Apple's book with that one if true.
    CDM76, La Emperor and sidhuk like this.
    08-22-14 11:20 AM
    Only Passport will Feature BlackBerry Natural Sound ?ProReceiver? Real-time Ear Adaptation | N4BB

I like this:

• Delivers superior acoustic performance under all conditions for cellular voice calls
      Innovative Receiver technology that adapts to the user’s ear in real time – Passport only
      Advanced Receiver technology that adapts to the user’s ear in real time – Passport only
      Proprietary Acoustic Engine which adjusts all audio processing blocks in real-time

Out of the four BlackBerry devices in the 2014 roadmap, the Passport will be the only one to make full use of BlackBerry Natural Sound’s potential.
    Remember?

08-22-14 11:22 AM
    OT: How to get Wall Huggers out of the house and into the Park.

Corbu, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    08-22-14 12:50 PM
    GG3

What a beast. 19 hrs usage + 8 hours standby.

I want to see some diary style flip cases with some elastic corner holds for my Canada Passport.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY and sidhuk like this.
    08-22-14 01:02 PM
    https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...dea?_mSplash=1

BlackBerry's Newly Created BlackBerry Technology Solutions Business Unit - A Very Bright Idea

On Monday August 18, 2014 BlackBerry made public the news that it has created a new technology unit within the company. This new unit – BlackBerry Technology Solutions or BTS – pulls together what had previously been a collection of somewhat autonomous technology centers within Blackberry. I’ll get to those in a minute, but first I want to make it clear that if history is any guide we all should certainly have expected Blackberry to make exactly this move.

What history might that be? BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen’s Sybase history of course. Chen’s success at Sybase wasn't based in simply assembling a collection of large scale components – primarily all of them wireless and mobile in nature dating back to 2003 – to tack on to Sybase’s traditional strength in database systems. It was to provide a holistic capability around all of these mobile and wireless components while at the same time acknowledging that Sybase wasn't a database expert but rather a database expert with powerful financial institution roots.

Back in the 2,000s financial institutions were at the forefront of enterprise mobility and it made a great deal of sense for Chen to leverage Sybase’s traditional strengths and marry them with state of the art mobile services and capabilities. To some degree BlackBerry was a competitor for Sybase yet at the same time was also a key partner to Sybase’s “Unwired Enterprise” strategy and success. That Unwired Enterprise strategy centered on Sybase pulling together in a highly coordinated fashion all of the key technologies that Sybase had accumulated – including all of its state of the art database components.

There is a certain irony – or perhaps “fate” is a better word – to Chen having taken over at BlackBerry. But the fact is that BlackBerry exactly needs Chen’s “history” to be successful going forward. If you accept this premise, then we can conclude as well that it was only a matter of time before Chen looked to pull together all of BlackBerry’s autonomous (or silo-based) technologies under one roof. It is a bright idea. In BlackBerry’s case “Unwired Enterprise” has evolved into the “secure mobile enterprise.” It makes a great deal of sense to do so.

It is as well a sign that Chen’s priorities are shifting – from having to focus full attention on stabilizing the company financially, to ensuring it is laser-focused on enterprise mobile security to now ensuring that all of Blackberry’s technologies (which will soon also include the recently acquired Secusmart) work and operate in “highly secure” concert with each other.

BlackBerry Technology Solutions

Through BTS Chen pulls together under one common roof BlackBerry’s QNX operating system and embedded software platform, Project Ion – BlackBerry’s Internet of Things (IoT) application platform, its Certicom cryptography applications and its Paratek RF antenna tuning platform. Chen will also move overall ownership of BlackBerry’s extensive 44,000 patent portfolio under BTS as well. Finally, BlackBerry also announced that Dr. Sandeep Chennakeshu will lead BTS.

There has already been speculation that Chen is pulling all of these elements together to spin them into suitable acquisition bait. Sure, there is always that possibility and the obvious view of it is that getting rid of these pieces would limit distraction and keep BlackBerry focused on enterprise security. I don’t believe Chen is thinking along these lines – I believe he sees not only a deep linkage to enterprise security but additional ways to organically grow the enterprise security business while creating suitable new yet related potential avenues of revenue growth.

While I personally think of Paratek as an old school business (though there is lots of state of the art technology here), there is no denying that the connected car world of QNX, the cryptography capabilities of Certicom and the current mad dash and explosion (or anticipated explosion) of IoT are all technology areas with great growth possibilities. Each of them, as well, can all be tied to the overall notion of “security” for BlackBerry.

Sandeep Chennakeshu – a Fellow of the IEEE – meanwhile, strikes me as someone with the right background to guide BTS going forward but to also ensure that it retains the holistic relationship with the rest of BlackBerry that I’m sure Chen is looking for. Chennakeshu brings with him over 25 years of deep experiences in research, product development and IP creation/licensing (he is the named inventor on 73 patents). But he also brings major general management experience in the wireless, electronics and semiconductor industry to the game. His management background includes serving as President of Ericsson Mobile Platforms and CTO of Sony-Ericsson.

I expect we’ll hear much more about BTS during Blackberry’s next earnings call – for its fiscal Q2 2015 quarter, which will take place on September 26, 2014. I don’t expect to hear any news of M&A action with BTS. Not now nor any time in the future. That’s not to say that pulling a highly functioning BTS together doesn’t enhance the overall value of BlackBerry itself. That is the real goal here – with Chen looking to replicate the success of his Sybase game plan.

I don’t mean to suggest that should a substantial firm come along down the road with a bid that offers Chen a significant premium on the company’s stock price for the entirety of Blackberry that he would turn it down. BTS will significantly help drive the necessary additional revenue and value both Chen and a potential buyer would be looking for.

Definitely a bright idea and definitely a good move.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    08-22-14 01:03 PM
    https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...dea?_mSplash=1

BlackBerry's Newly Created BlackBerry Technology Solutions Business Unit - A Very Bright Idea
    Thanks Corbu. Had to post it for easy reading.

On Monday August 18, 2014 BlackBerry made public the news that it has created a new technology unit within the company. This new unit – BlackBerry Technology Solutions or BTS – pulls together what had previously been a collection of somewhat autonomous technology centers within Blackberry. I’ll get to those in a minute, but first I want to make it clear that if history is any guide we all should certainly have expected Blackberry to make exactly this move.

What history might that be? BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen’s Sybase history of course. Chen’s success at Sybase wasn't based in simply assembling a collection of large scale components – primarily all of them wireless and mobile in nature dating back to 2003 – to tack on to Sybase’s traditional strength in database systems. It was to provide a holistic capability around all of these mobile and wireless components while at the same time acknowledging that Sybase wasn't a database expert but rather a database expert with powerful financial institution roots.

Back in the 2,000s financial institutions were at the forefront of enterprise mobility and it made a great deal of sense for Chen to leverage Sybase’s traditional strengths and marry them with state of the art mobile services and capabilities. To some degree BlackBerry was a competitor for Sybase yet at the same time was also a key partner to Sybase’s “Unwired Enterprise” strategy and success. That Unwired Enterprise strategy centered on Sybase pulling together in a highly coordinated fashion all of the key technologies that Sybase had accumulated – including all of its state of the art database components.

There is a certain irony – or perhaps “fate” is a better word – to Chen having taken over at BlackBerry. But the fact is that BlackBerry exactly needs Chen’s “history” to be successful going forward. If you accept this premise, then we can conclude as well that it was only a matter of time before Chen looked to pull together all of BlackBerry’s autonomous (or silo-based) technologies under one roof. It is a bright idea. In BlackBerry’s case “Unwired Enterprise” has evolved into the “secure mobile enterprise.” It makes a great deal of sense to do so.

It is as well a sign that Chen’s priorities are shifting – from having to focus full attention on stabilizing the company financially, to ensuring it is laser-focused on enterprise mobile security to now ensuring that all of Blackberry’s technologies (which will soon also include the recently acquired Secusmart) work and operate in “highly secure” concert with each other.

BlackBerry Technology Solutions

Through BTS Chen pulls together under one common roof BlackBerry’s QNX operating system and embedded software platform, Project Ion – BlackBerry’s Internet of Things (IoT) application platform, its Certicom cryptography applications and its Paratek RF antenna tuning platform. Chen will also move overall ownership of BlackBerry’s extensive 44,000 patent portfolio under BTS as well. Finally, BlackBerry also announced that Dr. Sandeep Chennakeshu will lead BTS.

There has already been speculation that Chen is pulling all of these elements together to spin them into suitable acquisition bait. Sure, there is always that possibility and the obvious view of it is that getting rid of these pieces would limit distraction and keep BlackBerry focused on enterprise security. I don’t believe Chen is thinking along these lines – I believe he sees not only a deep linkage to enterprise security but additional ways to organically grow the enterprise security business while creating suitable new yet related potential avenues of revenue growth.

While I personally think of Paratek as an old school business (though there is lots of state of the art technology here), there is no denying that the connected car world of QNX, the cryptography capabilities of Certicom and the current mad dash and explosion (or anticipated explosion) of IoT are all technology areas with great growth possibilities. Each of them, as well, can all be tied to the overall notion of “security” for BlackBerry.

Sandeep Chennakeshu – a Fellow of the IEEE – meanwhile, strikes me as someone with the right background to guide BTS going forward but to also ensure that it retains the holistic relationship with the rest of BlackBerry that I’m sure Chen is looking for. Chennakeshu brings with him over 25 years of deep experiences in research, product development and IP creation/licensing (he is the named inventor on 73 patents). But he also brings major general management experience in the wireless, electronics and semiconductor industry to the game. His management background includes serving as President of Ericsson Mobile Platforms and CTO of Sony-Ericsson.

I expect we’ll hear much more about BTS during Blackberry’s next earnings call – for its fiscal Q2 2015 quarter, which will take place on September 26, 2014. I don’t expect to hear any news of M&A action with BTS. Not now nor any time in the future. That’s not to say that pulling a highly functioning BTS together doesn’t enhance the overall value of BlackBerry itself. That is the real goal here – with Chen looking to replicate the success of his Sybase game plan.

I don’t mean to suggest that should a substantial firm come along down the road with a bid that offers Chen a significant premium on the company’s stock price for the entirety of Blackberry that he would turn it down. BTS will significantly help drive the necessary additional revenue and value both Chen and a potential buyer would be looking for.

Definitely a bright idea and definitely a good move.
    Corbu, La Emperor and sidhuk like this.
    08-22-14 01:08 PM
    08-22-14 01:32 PM
    Ryan Seacrest?s Typo sold thousands of BlackBerry-style keyboards in defiance of court order, faces contempt charge
    http://gigaom.com/2014/08/22/ryan-se...tempt-charge/?

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    bungaboy, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    08-22-14 01:41 PM
    Ryan Seacrest?s Typo sold thousands of BlackBerry-style keyboards in defiance of court order, faces contempt charge[/url]
    I hope they nail him.
    08-22-14 01:55 PM
    I hope they nail him.
    Agreed

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    bungaboy, La Emperor and sidhuk like this.
    08-22-14 02:08 PM

Love to do that when it's -20 below.....
    08-22-14 02:46 PM
    Most of this we already know, but it's nice to be reminded once in awhile of how BBM is a much better platform against others.

Apple Inc. (AAPL), BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Five Reasons Why BBM Beats iMessage | Tech Insider
    08-22-14 02:47 PM

That's a very innovative ideas.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-22-14 04:46 PM
    That's a very innovative ideas.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    I agree. Just wonder what information they are sending to the "mother-ship"?
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-22-14 04:51 PM
    UPS: We've been hacked! (Time.com)

UPS: We?ve Been Hacked - TIME
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    08-22-14 06:22 PM
    UPS: We've been hacked! (Time.com)

UPS: We?ve Been Hacked - TIME
    How many times do they need to shoot themselves in the foot to understand, the need for proper selection of robust security systems --cough-- BlackBerry -- cough--. Is someone somewhere adding all the financial losses of the wrong selection of security systems, just give a wild guess who will eventually be sharing insurance companies increased costs? When this is not the actual financial ruin of certain companies -- you can also start to identify a few names in your mind. Pay-up time. who's next?
    08-22-14 07:09 PM
113,256 ... 28012802280328042805 ...