View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry if already posted...speaks to EZ Pass adoption from our Indian friends:
    http://www.ciol.com/ciol/news/218738...-program-india

Eazzy Peazzy
    Not 100% sure how the fees for EZpass works or when they kick in, but I get the feeling the real revenues from this BES10\12 initiative start rolling in 2015. Might lend credence to the "cash flow positive "comments from Chen. Could we see a huge revenue spike in 2015 from pending BES fees that go into effect?

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-07-14 08:20 AM
    Not 100% sure how the fees for EZpass works or when they kick in, but I get the feeling the real revenues from this BES10\12 initiative start rolling in 2015. Might lend credence to the "cash flow positive "comments from Chen. Could we see a huge revenue spike in 2015 from pending BES fees that go into effect?

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    I would say that for him to make those statements, he has some commitments from large government, militarily and other large accounts for the Passport, Classic, and BES12. Maybe "preorders"??

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    08-07-14 09:28 AM

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    IIRC the default EZpass conversion is to a Silver level perpetual BES10 license, that has a free upgrade to BES12 when BES12 is released. No revenue expected unless the licensee wants support. If so, they have to pay for support starting in January 2015.

If you want to manage iOS or Android, then you need Gold level and revenues start right away. If you want Regulated level then revenue starts right away. There are certain features of managing BlackBerry phones that require Gold level, but below Regulated, that also require fees right away.
    08-07-14 09:48 AM
    SurrealCivic posted this on Twitter. A perfect upgrade for the 9900 die hards.

It's looking nice!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bucszjxiaaebyxt.png

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 10:21 AM
    SurrealCivic posted this on Twitter. A perfect upgrade for the 9900 die hards.

It's looking nice!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BucSzJXIAAEByxt.png 
Views:	1449 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	289481

Posted via CB10
    A dedicated messages button? I'm excited to see what 10.3 has in store now.
    Mr BBRY and theRock1975 like this.
    08-07-14 10:25 AM
    Some OT from the Related Technologies and Security files on usage by age groups:

Tech-savvy teenagers are shaping the way we communicate, says Ofcom | ZDNet

"The average UK adult now spends more time using media or communications (eight hours, 41 minutes) than they do sleeping (eight hours, 21 minutes � the UK average)." Although adults are using digital text-based communications, they operate in a different way to the younger generation. Adults tend to like email (33 percent use it daily), in marked contrast to the two percent of 12- to 15-year-olds who do. More than half of all adults (55 percent) used the internet to read or download the news, newspapers or magazines in 2014, compared with 20 percent of adults in 2007. Mobile devices are increasingly prevalent, as you might expect � 68 percent of adults accessed the internet using a mobile device, a figure that rose to 96 percent for those aged 16 to 24.
    08-07-14 10:31 AM
    08-07-14 10:35 AM
    I'd imagine that the messaging button is only for the QWERTY devices since they already have a phone button, but hopefully make it customisable for the all-touch as well!
    08-07-14 11:03 AM
    This stuff makes my day, but not even Corbu has posted anything about the adoption of BlackBerry into the Chinese government device use, so do we even know if they use BIS/BES To skin their whatever devices?
    This is the biggest and most positive thing to go blackberries way in a long time. Why isnt this getting more coverage if this is true and China has banned apple products for government use it is only time until all other governments fall in place. This is the first domino to drop in the privacy boom. Mark my words things are going to change in the landscape of wireless communication very quickly.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    08-07-14 11:36 AM
    OT:

More info on the China/Apple story:
    Apple's China listing status not a ban, says new report - CNET
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    08-07-14 11:47 AM
    08-07-14 11:50 AM
    Sounds like they are trying to spin this into a positive lol wtf?

Just imagine if this story was about blackberry , we would be trading at like 4 bucks lol and apple would be soaring
    Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    08-07-14 11:50 AM
    Why Apple Inc. (AAPL) Should Buy BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) | Tech Insider

Never going to happen but it talks about BBRY strengths. The only company on the planet that i can see the Canadian government lets buy blackberry would be SAP but even at that point i think the USA would step in and try to stop that.
    sidhuk, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    08-07-14 12:03 PM
    I wonder really what presence BlackBerry has in China? The government there talks out of both sides of their mouths considering they censor the average person's internet do you think they would allow BES technology into the private sector?

The country of Tiananmen Square might want it for themselves, but I don't think they would allow it for others, so better to keep it out?

I would really like to know.
    08-07-14 01:43 PM
    08-07-14 02:20 PM
    This is the biggest and most positive thing to go blackberries way in a long time. Why isnt this getting more coverage if this is true and China has banned apple products for government use it is only time until all other governments fall in place. This is the first domino to drop in the privacy boom. Mark my words things are going to change in the landscape of wireless communication very quickly.
    China has probably forked Android and just isn't talking about it. Similar to how DARPA has reportedly forked Android for military phones they are developing for soldiers to use on the battlefield. (http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-milita...ram-1603143142)

Note, according to the article, the first phones were deployed in 2011, so about 2 years before BB10 was released. I don't know where the Boeing phone fits in here.
    rarsen likes this.
    08-07-14 02:26 PM
    Kahn Boosts Stakes in BlackBerry Ltd, Citigroup Inc, BP PLC
    Kahn Brothers increased its position in BlackBerry by 271% or more than 1.6 million shares during the quarter
    08-07-14 02:31 PM
    LoL, they showed a blackberry in this video when answering how to protect your self.
    Russian Hackers Behind World's Biggest Internet Security Breach - NBC News
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    08-07-14 03:00 PM
    I wonder really what presence BlackBerry has in China? The government there talks out of both sides of their mouths considering they censor the average person's internet do you think they would allow BES technology into the private sector?

The country of Tiananmen Square might want it for themselves, but I don't think they would allow it for others, so better to keep it out?

I would really like to know.
    Smartphone OS market share - Kantar Worldpanel ComTech

According to Kantar.... the install base is 0% there. But I know there are lots of travelers that use BlackBerries in Hong Kong, not sure about the mainland. And if BlackBerry isn't big there, do carriers even support devices that require BIS/BES plans?
    08-07-14 03:00 PM
    OT: Security related.

Hackers broke into an EU spy agency: Kaspersky Lab report

JIM FINKLE
    Reuters
    Published Thursday, Aug. 07 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
    Last updated Thursday, Aug. 07 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Hackers broke into an EU spy agency: Kaspersky Lab report - The Globe and Mail

Security researchers at Kaspersky Lab said they have uncovered a cyber espionage operation that successfully penetrated two spy agencies and hundreds of government and military targets in Europe and the Middle East since the beginning of this year.

The hackers, according to Kaspersky, were likely backed by a nation state and used techniques and tools similar to ones employed in two other high-profile cyber espionage operations that Western intelligence sources have linked to the Russian government.

Kaspersky, a Moscow-based security software maker that also sells cyber intelligence reports, declined to say if it believed Russia was behind the espionage campaign.

Dubbed “Epic Turla,” the operation stole vast quantities of data, including word processing documents, spreadsheets and emails, Kaspersky said, adding that the malware searched for documents with terms such as “NATO,” “EU energy dialogue” and “Budapest.”

“We saw them stealing pretty much every document they could get their hands,” Costin Raiu, head of Kaspersky Lab’s threat research team, told Reuters ahead of the release of a report on “Epic Turla” on Thursday during the Black Hat hacking conference in Las Vegas.

Kaspersky said the ongoing operation is the first cyber espionage campaign uncovered to date that managed to penetrate intelligence agencies. It declined to name those agencies, but said one was located in the Middle East and the other in the European Union.

Other victims include foreign affairs ministries and embassies, interior ministries, trade offices, military contractors and pharmaceutical companies, according to Kaspersky. It said the largest number of victims were located in France, the United States, Russia, Belarus, Germany, Romania and Poland.

Kaspersky said the hackers used a set of software tools known as “Carbon” or “Cobra,” which have been deployed in at least two high-profile attacks. The first was an attack against the U.S. military’s Central Command that was discovered in 2008. The second attack was against Ukraine and other nations, uncovered earlier this year, using malicious software dubbed “Snake” or “Uroburos.”

Western intelligence sources told Reuters in March that they believed the Russian government was behind those two attacks. Russia’s Federal Security Bureau had declined to comment at the time.

Symantec Corp, the biggest U.S. security software maker, said it also planned to release a report on “Epic Turla” and related campaigns on Thursday, following months of research. Symantec declined to say if the hackers were linked to Russia and would not name specific victims.

Many cybersecurity researchers refrain from commenting on who they believe are behind cyber attacks, saying they lack the intelligence needed to draw such conclusions.

The Kaspersky report suggests the hackers spoke Russian, though that could mean people from a number of countries. It said the control panels in software for running the “Epic Turla” campaign were set to use Russian Cyrillic characters and its code include the Russian word “Zagruzchick,” which means “boot loader.”

Symantec researcher Vikram Thakur said the hackers infected machines by first compromising websites that victims would likely visit, including sites of some government agencies. The software was designed to scan a computer to determine if it belonged to somebody who was of interest, such as a government employee, Thakur said.

Once a PC is compromised, “Epic Turla” analyzed the machine to see if it has data of interest to the hackers, distributing more Carbon components to further study the machine if it had such information, according to Kaspersky.
    08-07-14 04:17 PM
    that would be for "du-hub", for those who couldn't find it by the upside down l or swipe right from home

am looking forward to a dedicaited home screen ..... on my new Passport!!
    08-07-14 04:51 PM
    Slightly long, I apologize, but interesting...

Spying revelations lead to German encryption boom
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/spying-rev...6.html#8RRuU1c

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — Revelations about the National Security Agency's electronic eavesdropping capabilities have sparked anger in Germany and a boom in encryption services that make it hard for the most sophisticated spies to read emails, listen to calls or comb through texts.

Jon Callas, co-founder of Silent Circle, which sells an encryption app allowing users to talk and text in private, said a series of disclosures from former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden last year have been a boon for business.

Silent Circle is one of a host of online security companies cashing in on swarms of new security-conscious customers around the world who want to shield their communications from foreign governments — and nowhere is the market hotter than in Germany, whose chancellor, Angela Merkel, was reported to be a target.

"Germans have always been particularly attuned to security and privacy concerns," Callas said. "I think that culturally, Germany has seen privacy problems in their recent past. There are people who remember the communists. There is still a cultural sore spot over security and privacy, an understanding of what can go wrong better than any other place in the world."

The companies' customers range from diplomats and journalists to privacy advocates and people trying to protect trade secrets.

"If you're a reporter, you can talk confidentially to a source. If you're a banker, you can talk to a client. If you're a business person, you can use it in places where spying is a cultural norm," Callas said.

Although Silent Circle doesn't provide specific numbers, Callas said it saw a "huge increase" in subscriptions to its private phone and text service after Snowden's disclosures and a spike in Germany after two reported cases of suspected U.S. spying there earlier this year.

And while the technology has Silicon Valley roots, the servers are in Canada and Switzerland, two countries with strong privacy protections. Two weeks ago, Silent Circle also began selling a secure smartphone, whose first run sold out, Callas said.

At CeBIT, a leading tech industry event held annually in the German city of Hannover, Deutsche Telekom was among several companies to launch new security products on the back of Snowden's revelations.

"I want to send a personal thanks to the NSA, because we wouldn't be having this discussing if that hadn't happened," Reinhard Clemens, a Deutsche Telekom board member, told reporters. "That was the best marketing campaign we've ever had."

The company, known for its T-Mobile brand in the United States, sells a smartphone app that encrypts voice and data traffic. It was developed with Berlin-based firm GSMK, an offshoot of the German hacking group Chaos Computer Club.

Customers seeking an all-in-one solution can buy GSMK's $2,750 secure cellphone that will protect confidential communications from all but the most dedicated eavesdroppers.

Chief Executive Bjoern Rupp said his company has seen a surge of interest in its encryption technology since details of the NSA's surveillance capabilities leaked last year.

"Snowden is transforming the industry," Rupp told The Associated Press. "There is a completely new consciousness about security."

Since launching in 2003, the company has sold about 100,000 secure devices, but the number of apps sold in the past year is "in another dimension," said Rupp, without revealing a precise figure.

British rival Vodafone, meanwhile, launched its own "Secure Call" app at the CeBIT fair with the claim it would allow users to make "calls that are as secure as those of the German government."

Merkel herself used to be photographed with a Nokia slider phone. Since reports surfaced that the NSA had listed her among its foreign intelligence targets, the chancellor has avoided being seen with low-end devices. Her new gadget, as widely reported, is a top-range BlackBerry outfitted with a custom-made security suite made by German company Secusmart — endorsed for sensitive communications by Germany's Federal Office for Information Security.

Apparently seizing on the opportunity, BlackBerry recently announced it was buying Secusmart.

"The acquisition of Secusmart underscores our focus on addressing growing security costs and threats ranging from individual privacy to national security," BlackBerry CEO John Chen said in a statement.

Ravishankar Borgaonkar, who works with Telekom Innovation Laboratories and FG Security in Berlin, uses an app on his Samsung smartphone that detects how secure each call is with red and green buttons.

"I try to make my calls as secure as possible," he said. "I get paranoid about some stalker trying to look at my phone, because if they get in it they can get to all my data."

And as someone who works in tech, Borgaonkar said he's getting tapped a lot these days for help.

"All my friends who are not in technology are asking me if their phones are secure, and what they should do," he said.

For those who don't want to take any chances, the revelations have also sparked a retro trend. The country's business weekly Wirtschaftswoche recently reported typewriter sales rising for the first time in years.

German companies aiming to protect their trade secrets apparently have turned to typewriters to ensure their correspondence with foreign clients isn't intercepted by rivals capable of hacking into their computer networks.

Patrick Sensburg, a member of Merkel's conservative bloc and chair of the parliamentary committee investigating alleged NSA spying in Germany, even suggested — only half-jokingly — that he and his fellow lawmakers might start using typewriters to hide the panel's sensitive work.
    Last edited by Corbu; 08-07-14 at 08:14 PM.
    08-07-14 07:20 PM
    Blackberry Bets Big on Rural Market - The New Indian Express

HYDERABAD: Amid stiff competition from domestic mobile handset players, smartphone maker BlackBerry India, is now opening up to tier II and III cities.

So far, the company’s mainstay had been significantly on enterprise segment followed by educated urban youth.

“Our products are available in the top 100 cities but so far our major focus has been on the top 45 cities. But considering the evolving market dynamics, going forward, there will be a more focused approach on the top 100 cities,” Sameer Bhatia Director, Distribution, BlackBerry India told Express.
    He added that BlackBerry devices have been available throughout the top 100 cities, but the company will now have more promotions in tier II and III cities to reach out to customers.

The move to expand the customer base comes at a time when homegrown players are rapidly acquiring market share. According to CyberMedia Research, Indian handset makers’ market share in domestic smartphone sales improved to 60 per cent this year from 47 per cent. Of the 14.5 million smartphones sold in the country between January and March 60 per cent sales were made by Indian companies. Though Samsung lead the pack with a 43.2 per cent share the following two spots were taken by local players namely Micromax (17.5%) and Karbonn (10%).

“India is one of the fastest growing markets for us. To widen our reach, we are exploring online portals and e-commerce platforms,” he said adding that the company was in dialogue with players like Amazon India to sell its devices.

It may be noted that BlackBerry India recently announced a pact with online shopping portal Flipkart to market its handsets. “As per news reports, OEMs seem to be moving away from online space over the issue of differential pricing (products sold online and offline). But we are maintaining a price hygiene and we would like to retain our presence on these platforms,” he said.

According to Bhatia, BlackBerry India, which is likely to launch two new products during Diwali, will continue to offer smartphones ranging upwards `9,500 and was unlikely to introduce models under sub-5k range anytime soon.
    08-07-14 07:53 PM
    Giving Good Technology a History Lesson on Secure Browsing Capabilities

In a July 10, 2014 blog post, Good Technology claims that it was the first to provide an ?enterprise class secure browser to deliver support for Proxy auto-configuration files,? more commonly known as PAC files. Enterprise users that have multiple proxy servers may use PAC files to access URLs via web browsing or other applications. To simplify, just as a TV guide tells you what channel to select for a specific program, a PAC file will tell the device which proxy server to use to reach a specific URL destination.

Good needs a #BBFactCheck.

BlackBerry has been supporting PAC files on BlackBerry devices for years. We had it way back in 2003 with BlackBerry OS. So of course our latest platform, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, supports PAC files ? BlackBerry 10 OS starting on January 31, 2013, Secure Work Space for iOS on October 9, 2013 and Secure Work Space for Android on June 26, 2014.

With an 11-year difference between BlackBerry and Good support of PAC files, it?s inaccurate for Good to claim that they were the first. Even if they were only comparing from an Enterprise Mobility Management perspective, we still have them beat.

This is another example of Good?s marketing being misleading? which should not be ?Good Enough? for customers looking for a mobility partner.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/08/...-good-history/

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, jxnb, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    08-07-14 09:09 PM
    08-08-14 07:20 AM
113,250 ... 27812782278327842785 ...