Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    08-05-14 10:08 AM
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=6c6c-1db3

FP's take on the end of BlackBerry restructuring.

BB10 4 ME
    08-05-14 10:09 AM
    Maybe it's time for another chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-aug-5-2014.png

Since hitting it's high of the last month, the stock was forced back into the trading channel on questionable news. We have steadily dropped to the bottom of that channel which has boundaries of $ 9.00 and $ 10.80/shr/US. There is a very clear downtrend line that acted as a guide to the $ 9.00/shr mark and today we are back above our 50-dma and challenging that downtrend line for a reversal in trend within the channel. The stock would have to give up all of today's advance and then drop down to new recent lows tomorrow in order to continue it's downtrend and that is not likely to happen here. A higher than today's high tomorrow would knock the stock out of it's funk and a rally would begin.

The news on BBRY has been very good, security problems with others, the end of CORE, sales of Z3's looking good and so on. The pairs trade with AAPL should be other flop as AAPL has failed on it's rally and we are about to start ours. Let's see if BBRY can hold onto some of its gains today and set ourselves up for a trend change tomorrow.

To use as a benchmark, look for the 50-dma to hold today, currently at $ 9.36, we typically would sell off back to this number at some point and confirm the trend reversal for today. A close above the 50-dma is the likely beginning of a reversal in the trend. You want to see it close above that mark, test it for support (today or tomorrow) and then start a rally which pushes the stock price above that downtrend line. Good luck.
    08-05-14 10:13 AM
    Last year I was at a geophysics conference and there was a group that wanted to add sensors to fleet vehicles (buses, ups, FedEx, etc) . The idea was to be able to collect data on road conditions in real time and fix the problems before they got bad. Deformations in the road surface and flex in bridge structures can be tracked and analyzed in real time. QNX would be a good way of managing all that data collection.

BB10 4 ME
    08-05-14 10:19 AM
    Just to prove that I do not only visit when the news for BBRY is bad . . . . . .
    08-05-14 10:27 AM
    Great day for BBRY

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbrytse.jpg
    08-05-14 10:41 AM
    Posted via CB10
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-05-14 11:50 AM
    Does anyone have a link to the actual memo? I would like to read it in its entirety.

Thanks.
    08-05-14 12:43 PM
    another pump and dump
    08-05-14 12:46 PM
    Markets are going down, that's all..
    08-05-14 12:48 PM
    Great. Now I guess we can look forward to links to articles about how many potholes there are so that we can infer that this should be great for BlackBerry stock.
    08-05-14 12:51 PM
    Great. Now I guess we can look forward to links to articles about how many potholes there are so that we can infer that this should be great for BlackBerry stock.
    We kinda do that already... Android/iOS potholes that is.
    08-05-14 01:03 PM
    Markets are going down, that's all..
    Seldom does BBRY follow the market, it may just be BBRY need more good news to keep it up!
    08-05-14 01:28 PM
    So... I am BACK in the game. After losing all my life savings in BlackBerry options last year, I've managed to put another $1000 in my trading account and start trading all over again. And I've just purchased long-term (2016 Jan) options, strike $12 for it.

I was stupid to purchase $35 strike options last year with everything I had ever saved since I graduated school and started working (in 2008)! So, this time, I went with a relatively conservative strike of $12

Morgan+8 - hope you have been well! I had no holdings in BBRY so I've been quiet but I continue to read your informative posts and just wanted to say thank you for that. By the way, whatever happened to XOMA, PSDV, HALO - they all seem to have tanked quiet a bit. Is XOMA still a good buy?
    08-05-14 02:26 PM
    Some OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

IBM was willing to pay $1bn to offload chip business | ZDNet
    http://www.zdnet.com/the-decline-and...tag=TRE17cfd61

"IBM CEO Ginni Rometty is doing her best to get IBM back into positive growth territory after more than two years — nine quarters — of falling revenues."
    Comment: Makes us think that the recent joining with AAPL is a marriage of reason, including a need for a large dowry !
    Corbu, theRock1975, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    08-05-14 02:29 PM
    08-05-14 02:33 PM
    So... I am BACK in the game. After losing all my life savings in BlackBerry options last year, I've managed to put another $1000 in my trading account and start trading all over again. And I've just purchased long-term (2016 Jan) options, strike $12 for it.

I was stupid to purchase $35 strike options last year with everything I had ever saved since I graduated school and started working (in 2008)! So, this time, I went with a relatively conservative strike of $12

Morgan+8 - hope you have been well! I had no holdings in BBRY so I've been quiet but I continue to read your informative posts and just wanted to say thank you for that. By the way, whatever happened to XOMA, PSDV, HALO - they all seem to have tanked quiet a bit. Is XOMA still a good buy?
    Hi chrysaurora!!!

Glad to see you are back in the game!! Those 2016 $ 12.00 calls make a heck of a lot more sense . I believe the real action in BBRY occurs at the end of summer and on into the Fall. I'm in all of the biotechs that you mentioned, I have traded two of them for better pricing but today I hold a monster amount of HALO and expect it to climb in September too. The biotechs as a whole aren't being bought up as part of a rotation into new sectors, not yeah. When those stocks become the "in" thing to own, you will see this list of bios rocket. I can wait another month or two no problem.

HALO is batting 1,000 right now, everything they are developing has been approved, or, as part of a successful program.

Best of luck and get BBRY to $ 9.36/shr by the end of today will ya!!! GL
    rarsen, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 9 others like this.
    08-05-14 02:41 PM
    08-05-14 02:48 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140805_154515_edit.pngBlackBerry

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140805_154458_edit_edit.pngApple

Hmmm...

BB10 4 ME
    08-05-14 02:49 PM
    Does this mean someone has just purchased 42k shares?
    Attachment 289086

Posted via CB10
    It also means someone sold that many shares.

Posted via CB10
    Bilaal likes this.
    08-05-14 02:51 PM
    http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-to-ho...9-report-says/

So someone did a big swap of apple for BlackBerry in the morning and then apple announced Sept 9 event day this afternoon...

BB10 4 ME
    08-05-14 02:52 PM
    9.35...I'll take it.

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    08-05-14 03:41 PM
    08-05-14 04:02 PM
    BlackBerry Partners Upbeat On Reported Layoff Period End - Page: 1 | CRN

Partners say the worst is over for BlackBerry and see smoother sailing ahead.

This is coming off news, reported by Reuters, that the company released a memo to employees signaling an end to layoffs and plans to hire in certain departments.

"We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the workforce reduction that began three years ago is now behind us," BlackBerry CEO John Chen said in a memo sent out Friday as reported by Reuters. "More importantly, barring any unexpected downturns in the market, we will be adding headcount in certain areas such as product development, sales and customer service, beginning in modest numbers."

The memo from Chen reflects a change in tone in the hallways of the Waterloo, Ontario-based company, following a 60 percent reduction of its workforce over the past three years. BlackBerry's smartphone market share was 19 percent in late 2010, according to IDC, and fell below one percent in the most recent quarter.

"The last couple years, it's been a rollercoaster ride," said Rick Jordan, director of mobility sales at Tenet Computer Group, a Toronto-based solution provider and longtime BlackBerry partner. "But I think Chen has done what he's needed to do. He's gotten rid of jobs that aren't creating revenue. Unfortunately, there are layoffs that happen. They've downsized and they have a clear focus."

Jordan said BlackBerry could be a remarkable turnaround story, referencing Apple scathing off bankruptcy in the mid-90s to become what it is today. He believes BlackBerry's strength in product is something that can fuel such a comeback.

"We're excited about the company, about the change and the involvement we're going to have. I think exciting times are ahead," Jordan said. "You have to look at the importance of having security. BlackBerry, for the longest time, was looking for the "cool" factor. Blackberry wasn't so much in the phone business, they were in the security and server business. I hope BlackBerry is a Cinderella story, and they got a damn good product. I think they got the right guy at the helm in Chen, and now he's in building mode. Hopefully they can prove a lot of people wrong."

Chen, who took over as CEO in November, has a reputation for turning around failing companies, and intends to do the same at BlackBerry. He assured employees in the memo that the company will meet its goal of having positive cash flow by the end of the fiscal year, Reuters reported.

"I think [Chen's] doing a great job, not only from a customer standpoint, but also from a partner perspective," said James Hawkins, owner of RedHawks IT Solutions, a Washington, D.C.-based BlackBerry partner. "When he first was hired, I was hopeful, so I'm really not surprised, but I'm certainly glad. I hope this means they are stabilized and they can move forward."

Hawkins said he sees better days ahead for BlackBerry and looks forward to its new product development lines that are expected this fall.

"I think since him taking the helm, they are going back to the roots," said Jordan of Tenet Computer Group. "That's ecosystem, that's enterprise. They've gotten a reality check and Chen has got the right team in place. Sharpen the pencil and let's write a new chapter."
    08-05-14 04:20 PM
    From Tony Rizzo of Blue Hill Reasearch:
    The Top 3 Reasons BlackBerry's Acquisition of Secusmart is a Very Smart Move, What You Need To Know:
    BlackBerry has announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire German-based voice and data communications security vendor Secusmart. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and the deal is subject to various customary approvals. Immediately the deal gives BlackBerry additional security capabilities rooted specifically in the ability to secure both mobile and landline phones against essentially all types of eavesdropping. The deal will certainly open a number of paths to generating new top line dollars. This will likely be reflected two quarters down the road, right around the time BlackBerry Executive Chair & CEO John Chen anticipates BlackBerry returning completely to break even and beyond that to profitability. Blue Hill Research believes the deal to be a solid move for both companies. We further believe that BlackBerry will be able to continue building on its verticals strategy targeting those industries most in need of ensuring high levels of security and compliance. What It Means for BlackBerry John Chen was in the midst of hosting the BlackBerry Security Summit in New York City - which he had announced back in June 2014 during the company's most recent earnings call. In case anyone thought the Security Summit would be a bit of a quiet affair and that BlackBerry would simply share some information on its new BES 12 platform and some customer stories?well, Chen made sure to add some bright and very interesting fireworks to the affair. Chen did so by announcing that BlackBerry has reached an agreement to acquire security company Secusmart GmbH, a German vendor with deep expertise in providing a virtually impenetrable security wall around both mobile and landline voice and data. Yes, we all know about protecting data, but very few companies also focus on securing voice communications, and this is an area where Secusmart shines. In short, Secusmart provides highly secure data encryption but adds to it as well high level government-grade anti-eavesdropping technology. We all know about German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her very high profile issues with the NSA listening in on her voice conversations. As it turns out both BlackBerry and Secusmart now have a significant connection to Merkel and her government. BlackBerry offers what it refers to as the "BlackBerry 10 Chancellor Phone," which is currently being used by Merkel. The Chancellor device comes equipped with Secusmart's SecuSUITE

Eazzy Peazzy
    Mr BBRY, sidhuk, bungaboy and 11 others like this.
    08-05-14 04:27 PM
113,256 ... 27772778277927802781 ...