View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What's the difference between PTK.V and POETF?

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    Poetf is OTC in the US. They are trying to get listed on NASDAC.

BB10 4 ME
    08-01-14 03:03 PM
    Poetf is OTC in the US. Very low volume. They are trying to get listed on NASDAC. They want a reverse split to get the shares above 5$ first.

BB10 4 ME

BB10 4 ME
    08-01-14 03:04 PM
    08-01-14 03:06 PM
    Poetf is OTC in the US. They are trying to get listed on NASDAC.

BB10 4 ME
    Thank you.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    08-01-14 04:25 PM
    OT for after-hours, indicating a direction of technology to which I am not surprised. Marketing the device to customers as a means to lower their insurance premiums and claiming "It's very important that we keep individual customers' data secure" -- wink, wink. Non secure entries could screw-up license renewal and additional cost of car insurance. What are the guarantees on security?

How auto insurer Progressive collected 10 billion miles of driving data from its customers | ZDNet
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    08-01-14 04:39 PM
    OT for after-hours, indicating a direction of technology to which I am not surprised. Marketing the device to customers as a means to lower their insurance premiums and claiming "It's very important that we keep individual customers' data secure" -- wink, wink. Non secure entries could screw-up license renewal and additional cost of car insurance. What are the guarantees on security?

How auto insurer Progressive collected 10 billion miles of driving data from its customers | ZDNet
    I wonder how much per year the unsuspecting Insurance Company customers would save by selling their souls personal information?

$50, $100 or maybe $200 per year?

Mine? It's not for sale!
    sidhuk, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-01-14 04:49 PM
    Oh, I forgot to tell a little story.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend (who works for a major US Oil & Gas company). He was driving (using hands free I hope) and he kept cutting in and out. He uses an iPhone 5S.

I laughed and jokingly said to him "You have to get a BlackBerry so you can carry out a telephone conversation!"

To my surprise he replied "Yes, there are lots of us who want our BlackBerries back."

So I told him how good the antenna was in the BlackBerry Z30 and how good the battery was as well as other great features.

I won't be surprised to see him (& lots of others in that big company) move back to BlackBerry in the very near future.
    08-01-14 04:57 PM
    OT: Security related tidbits

Cyber espionage by Google Glass is the next major threat to enterprise security

Security experts offered Computing their views on Google Glass and they all agreed that businesses need to be wary of the wearable technology because it poses the next big threat to enterprise security.

"I think many of the main concerns you'd see with carrying your mobile into a site and leaving it on so you could record what's happening, you're having the same situation with Google Glass, it's just the form factor makes it easier to actually get away with doing that," Earl Perkins, research vice president in systems security and risk at Gartner, told Computing.

Apple can extract personal data from iPhones without user's knowledge

Apple can extract personal information including text messages, photos and contact lists from iPhone users, without the smartphone owner even being aware that their data is being mined, researchers have revealed.

The security loopholes, which until now hadn't been publicised by Apple, allow the firm's employees to access data stored on the device, circumventing even encrypted information. Apple hadn't previously spoken of its ability to extract personal data from iPhones, but has since insisted the practice is made available in an effort to help engineers.

Personal information about an iPhone user can be drawn from computers to which the device has previously been connected, security researcher Jonathan Zdziarski revealed during a recent presentation. In theory, it means the practice creates a back door for law enforcement to mine personal information from an iPhone, without the knowledge of the person of interest.
    jxnb, Corbu and zyben like this.
    08-01-14 05:37 PM
    OT: Security related tidbits

Apple can extract personal data from iPhones without user's knowledge

Apple can extract personal information including text messages, photos and contact lists from iPhone users, without the smartphone owner even being aware that their data is being mined, researchers have revealed.

The security loopholes, which until now hadn't been publicised by Apple, allow the firm's employees to access data stored on the device, circumventing even encrypted information. Apple hadn't previously spoken of its ability to extract personal data from iPhones, but has since insisted the practice is made available in an effort to help engineers.

Personal information about an iPhone user can be drawn from computers to which the device has previously been connected, security researcher Jonathan Zdziarski revealed during a recent presentation. In theory, it means the practice creates a back door for law enforcement to mine personal information from an iPhone, without the knowledge of the person of interest.
    Hi bungaboy,

We would all be quite surprised how many "undocumented features" are already available with existing models and the extend of which will only increase. Scary stuff !
    08-01-14 05:51 PM
    OT: A nice little ditty . . .

sidhuk and zyben like this.
    08-01-14 06:39 PM
    UPDATE 1-Fairfax Financial, CEO probed over possible insider trading | Reuters
    "We are fully cooperating with the authorities and we are required strict confidentiality during the investigation," he said. " ... I can say there is no personal trading involved and we are confident that we did nothing wrong."
    If Prem was selling off shares before he pulled his $9 offer then that is definitely insider trading. IMO not a legal one.
    08-01-14 06:44 PM
    OT:
    For SF to enjoy while on holidays somewhere in that beautiful country... where there is nothing to eat or drink...

Thank you for creating this great thread... et bonnes vacances!

Fresh Air Pays Tribute To James Brown, 'Godfather Of Funk' : NPR
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    08-01-14 06:51 PM
    If Prem was selling off shares before he pulled his $9 offer then that is definitely insider trading. IMO not a legal one.
    You can relax. Doesn't appear to be related to BlackBerry.

"Fairfax’s quarterly report said the AMF is investigating both Mr. Watsa and Fairfax president Paul Rivett in “connection with a Quebec transaction.”"

"One of Fairfax’s largest deals in Quebec was the sale of a nearly 21-per-cent stake in Montreal-based toy maker Mega Brands Inc. when the company was acquired by Mattel Inc. in February for $460-million (U.S.). Mega Brand’s stock soared nearly 40 per cent on news of the deal."
    08-01-14 06:55 PM
    Attachment 288324
    One little sliver of green...

BB10 4 ME
    I thought that I'm the only one following POETF

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:57 PM
    Read the article before posting.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:05 PM
    I thought that I'm the only one following POETF

Posted via CB10
    I have been watching PTK for over a year now. Never bought though and wish I had at 0.48. Doh

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-02-14 04:35 AM
    When a Full Day’s Battery Life Still Isn’t Enough

When a Full Day?s Battery Life Still Isn?t Enough | Inside BlackBerry

Having a mobile device with battery life that gets you through an entire work day is an absolute must, as “wall huggers” know all too well. As another company who is out to make wall hugging a thing of the past, Samsung touted the benefits of the battery life of its Galaxy S5 in a recent “Samsung at Work” blog post.

BlackBerry Fact Check Battery Life

As you can see, their stats seem good – but BlackBerry can do better:

“Ultra Power Saving Mode saves and extends battery life by changing the device’s screen to black and white and shutting down all unnecessary features to minimize battery consumption. In Ultra Power Saving Mode, you can benefit from over 24 hours’ standby time with just 10 per cent battery life, ensuring that you never miss a beat.”

Compare this to the battery life of the BlackBerry Z30. Without enabling any of the battery life management features, the BlackBerry Z30 has:

Up to 25 hours mixed use
    Up to 18 hours talk time (UMTS)
    Up to 16 days standby time

With better battery life than the Samsung Galaxy S5, BlackBerry Z30 owners use their device to remain productive throughout the business day and stream their favorite TV show or movie during the commute to and from the office. But don’t just take our #BBFactCheck for it; here is what some BlackBerry Z30 users are saying about battery life on Twitter:

As you can see, the BlackBerry Z30 is the right device for users who need the right productivity tools supported by a battery that will last them through more than an entire day. And that’s a fact.
    jxnb, neteng1000, Corbu and 11 others like this.
    08-02-14 07:04 AM
    Not sure if this was already posted.

Nothing is secure, your calls aren't private and your car could kill you

Nothing is secure, your calls aren't private and your car could kill you | ITworld

"By Rob Enderle, CIO | Data Protection

August 01, 2014, 11:44 AM — BlackBerry remains the only mobile vendor that places enterprises first and doesn't rank them someplace after the casual game developers. At its enterprise security briefing in New York this week, BlackBerry brought out company experts as well as those from industries such as healthcare, banking and government.

While the event showcased BlackBerry's acquisition of German security firm Secusmart, which is known for security over voice calls, it was the panels that were both the most interesting and the most frightening. We aren't even thinking about some of this stuff right now. If we don't get a clue, the experts say we're due for a "come to Jesus meeting" with our CEOs and/or boards as a result of an avoidable data breach.
    Mr BBRY, jxnb, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-02-14 10:32 AM
    Not sure if this was already posted.

Nothing is secure, your calls aren't private and your car could kill you

Nothing is secure, your calls aren't private and your car could kill you | ITworld

"By Rob Enderle, CIO | Data Protection

August 01, 2014, 11:44 AM � BlackBerry remains the only mobile vendor that places enterprises first and doesn't rank them someplace after the casual game developers. At its enterprise security briefing in New York this week, BlackBerry brought out company experts as well as those from industries such as healthcare, banking and government.

While the event showcased BlackBerry's acquisition of German security firm Secusmart, which is known for security over voice calls, it was the panels that were both the most interesting and the most frightening. We aren't even thinking about some of this stuff right now. If we don't get a clue, the experts say we're due for a "come to Jesus meeting" with our CEOs and/or boards as a result of an avoidable data breach.
    I sure hope BlackBerry capitalizes on this and hope it spills over to the rest of the European countries. The article even mentions Russia. Hell, I'll take their money too. Business is business

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, bungaboy, zyben and 1 others like this.
    08-02-14 11:06 AM
    The Black Hat convention is this weekend, so I think that's why we are seeing all the security and privacy articles this week. Too bad BlackBerry couldn't align anything bigger to launch than BBM for windows. On the other hand if the sales team can keep the conversation going with the CIOs around the world, they might be able to parlay themselves into _BEING_ the security platform that everyone (android, apple, auto, governments, health care, and lastly consumers) uses under the hood. JC, Marty and Co need to execute a few flawless launches back to back to pull it off.
    So, here's to a successful second half of the year. We'll all be watching the launch of the Passport, Classic and BES12 with baited breath!

BB10 4 ME
    CDM76, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    08-02-14 12:27 PM
    It was a rough week on the market, Gang. Not just for the BlackBerry faithful but for most of the markets, worldwide. Tempers flailed in here and out there and it got me thinking.
    I thought, with all the stuff going on in the world lately, people are worried. We all want to be safe, we all avoid risk when we can.
    And then I thought, I'm kind of thankful to Apple for making mobile into a Fashion Accessory. I thought, I'm just as thankful to Android for taking it to the masses where it is quickly becoming an inexpensive and indispensable utility (with the install base to prove it).

For some people it's the first utility service they have ever had and then I thought "Everyone needs utilities to be safe and reliable."

In Real Estate the mantra is Location, Location, Location. In mobile the mantra is Security, Security, Security. You might be able to substitute in "privacy" or "reliability" but really, they stem from the same root. You could even argue Location is a stem of security.

In mobile, RIM started with "security", Apple focused on "fashion", Android hacked into the market with "configurability" and Windows went with... (well, I don't know what they went with).

We seem to be entering a new cycle (IOT) and the last cycle (smartphones) started with security. I get that people want fashion, and that they want function, but they need security. We can add function (android sandbox) and we can add fashion (Passport?, anyone?) but the foundation must be built on security than IS rock solid. Enterprise will demand it. Can anyone deliver it?

Apple says they can, as long as they have keys to every single device, "for engineering purposes". Android says they can with KNOX, but they seem to be hitting a few bumps along the road, not the least of which is an overwhelming market share which is raising the eyebrows of governments who are not fond of monopolies. Windows is still trying to find its mobile footing. Which brings us back to BlackBerry. They get it. They are walking the walk.

Keep Calm and BlackBerry On.

BB10 4 ME
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 08-02-14 at 05:29 PM.
    bungaboy, Corbu, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    08-02-14 02:27 PM
    http://www.redmondpie.com/major-flaw...stalled-tools/

Not sure how credible this is

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 04:37 PM
    http://www.redmondpie.com/major-flaw...stalled-tools/

Not sure how credible this is

Posted via CB10
    The article suggests the vulnerability is specific to Z10 for BlackBerry.

BB10 4 ME
    08-02-14 05:22 PM
    The article suggests the vulnerability is specific to Z10 for BlackBerry.

BB10 4 ME
    The original article doesn't state which OS' these phones are running too. Could be on older BB10 version as far we know.
    08-02-14 05:23 PM
    08-02-14 05:48 PM
113,256 ... 27732774277527762777 ...