Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    A salute to our gal Transcend Asset:

Attachment 287735

A real eye-poke to the competition. We'll thought out article. Thanks to Shaneredflag for the post.
    07-29-14 10:43 PM
    LOL...I love that man.

Eazzy Peazzy
    zyben likes this.
    07-29-14 11:07 PM
    Ok, the carrot is dangling, and today's news just seems to be an inevitable segway to a merger or partnership with SAP.

It is ringing loud and clear. This will inherently include Sybase, as part of the SAP companies.

Hat tip to SuperFly for pegging this when it finally gets announced.
    I don't know about that...not just yet anyway, Mr Muncher.
    SAP is trading at 80 (ish) bucks a share. JC stated he see's allot of "value" to be created for BB/BBRY...better than 80-20 he said today I believe.
    I can see the health, secusmart, BES12, BBM and likely desktop too with various layers of service driving that value. Personally I think QNX (in automotive) is a loss leader...white label, makes cash but just "pay the bills" cash...project Ion has a ton of potential but they are a few years away to seeing if it gain traction.
    Long story short...SAP doesn't need BlackBerry "yet", but...given a couple years of steady profitable growth, solidify dominance in enterprise, hopefully one of two of their "irons in the fire" scenarios take off (health, Ion, secure payment etc.)...then we are meaningful and a true proven value add to their current portfolio.
    Coincidentally, that would drive our PE ratio way up ( better than 1:1 where we currently hold on with a fingernail)...that's the value IMHO. Just my humble thoughts.

Eazzy Peazzy

EDIT...But I'm on holiday and consuming copious amounts of liquid brilliance.
    07-29-14 11:09 PM
    BlackBerry Security Acquisition Driven By CIOs, Exec Says - The CIO Report - WSJ

NEW YORK CITY – BlackBerry Ltd.'s acquisition of Secusmart GmbH, a German company that makes technology for securing data and voice communications, reflects the company’s new focus on enterprise customers, especially those in highly regulated industries with high needs for security, a senior Blackberry executive said at a press conference in New York. Encrypted voice communications are in demand among CIOs as tensions around the world flare.

John Sims, BlackBerry’s president of global enterprise services, said at a media event here Tuesday that CIOs working for energy, financial services and health-care companies told him they prevent employees traveling in certain “unfriendly jurisdictions” from joining corporate conference calls because they know that competitors and governments may be listening. “I think there is a large demand among enterprises for such a solution,” said Mr. Sims.

BlackBerry is seeking to capitalize on such enterprise concerns with Secusmart, which makes Secure Digital (SD) cards containing a cryptographic engine and a keystore to encrypt voice and data communications. The technology runs in BlackBerry 10 phones and is used by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, a possible victim of a past eavesdropping campaign, as well as German and Canadian governments. BlackBerry CEO John Chen, who appeared briefly at the event to announce the Secusmart deal, called the company “a cornerstone of our security offering.”

Most voice data today is transferred over the Internet, making it just as vulnerable to hacking and interception as data traversing most internal computer networks, said Jack Gold, an analyst with J. Gold & Associates LLC. He also said voice call eavesdropping is “probably undetectable.”

Securing voice data is becoming increasingly attractive among technology chiefs in the wake of reports earlier this winter that Russia may have intercepted and leaked a recording of a top U.S. diplomat referring profanely to America’s allies.

And it took documents leaked in October by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden to bring to Germany’s attention that U.S. intelligence may have been spying on Chancellor Merkel’s cellphone for years. Germany announced in June that it would investigate the suspected eavesdropping.

To be sure, encrypted voice technology is not the last word on security technology for traveling executives. As a Unisys Federal Systems CTO told CIO Journal in a June interview, loaner devices with minimal on-board information, desktop virtualization for remote access to corporate apps and even hotel bed sheets (to block out cameras in hotel rooms) can play a role keeping corporate data safer.

Secusmart Managing Director Hans-Christoph Quelle said that it is important for the company’s encryption technology to be “embedded deeply” in smartphones. But it isn’t yet clear how Secusmart will be integrated within BlackBerry devices. Mr. Sims said that BlackBerry will sell Secusmart technology to its smartphone customers, but “whether it’s embedded or it’s sold as a value-added service” will be determined when the acquisition receives regulatory approval.

BlackBerry is trying to restore luster and market share lost to Apple Inc. and Google Inc. To accelerate its comeback bid, BlackBerry last week hired Marty Beard to lead marketing and development for applications based on the BlackBerry 10 software.

BlackBerry is facing significant challenges. The company finished 2013 with 2% smartphone market share, and has lost 5% share a year since its high of 20% in 2009, said Gartner Inc.IT -0.39% Earlier this month, Apple and IBM Corp. inked a technology deal to push the iPhone and iPad deeper into the corporate market.

With Secusmart, Mr. Gold, the analyst, said that BlackBerry is trying to capitalize on a market opportunity that currently no other smartphone platform addresses. “Time will tell if this works, but clearly secured voice communications will be an important criteria going forward for most enterprise customers,” said Mr. Gold.
    07-30-14 12:20 AM
    United Nations declares U.S. government spying on its own citizens is a crime against Human Rights http://www.naturalnews.com/046228_go...d_Nations.html

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    07-30-14 12:24 AM
    disregard.
    07-30-14 01:14 AM
    SAP is trading at 80 (ish) bucks a share. JC stated he see's allot of "value" to be created for BB/BBRY...better than 80-20 he said today I believe.
    I can see the health, secusmart, BES12, BBM and likely desktop too with various layers of service driving that value. Personally I think QNX (in automotive) is a loss leader...white label, makes cash but just "pay the bills" cash...project Ion has a ton of potential but they are a few years away to seeing if it gain traction.
    Long story short...SAP doesn't need BlackBerry "yet", but...given a couple years of steady profitable growth, solidify dominance in enterprise, hopefully one of two of their "irons in the fire" scenarios take off (health, Ion, secure payment etc.)...then we are meaningful and a true proven value add to their current portfolio.
    Coincidentally, that would drive our PE ratio way up ( better than 1:1 where we currently hold on with a fingernail)...that's the value IMHO. Just my humble thoughts.

Eazzy Peazzy

Yeah, could be, but the shoe is being made, i reckon, and Mr. Chen is the recipient. Time will tell....
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    07-30-14 01:17 AM
    This Ford thing is a real head scratcher.

Could Ford be playing both fields here? A bit of QNX for the cars, a bit of iPhone for the staff... Don't want to get anyone's feathers up, yeah? Possibly overthinking it, but what got me pondering, was the daft comment made by the 'expert':

“We are going to get everyone on iPhones,” Tatchio said. “It meets the overall needs of the employees because it is able to serve both our business needs in a secure way and the needs we have in our personal lives with a single device.”
    Having all employees on the same smartphone will improve security and simplify information technology management, Tatchio said.

So, basically BlackBerry Balance then? iPhone can't actually do this, at least not right now.

(puzzling).
    07-30-14 01:22 AM
    Little does Merkel know but the NSA is likely already listening in on her secure communications and emails.
    Greg, please stop with this. You have zero fact to backup what you're writting again and again about this.
    So please, unless you have anything new to provide about it, just quit the BS work.It's embarrassing now.
    Thanks.
    07-30-14 02:09 AM
    Thanks, yet this morning (UE), still not a single line in the newsfeed facing the stock quote ...
    Now I CC BlackBerry ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    07-30-14 02:22 AM
    I want to start by saying that I think John Chen is the man.... But I think he did make a big mistake when he said that hes not sure Blackberry will ever return to being iconic. He very easily could have put a positive spin on that answer and said something like, " I absolutely believe that BlackBerry will be and already is iconic in securing confidential communications for our government and general public customers alike." Even though we all know what he meant, I think it gave the nay-sayers fodder for their cannons to rally behind the watch BBRY fail campaign. Just my .02$

Edit: Also worth mentioning; with the new job offer I just received with its $10,000 USD raise I will happily take this opportunity to enjoy the lower stock price to add to my portfolio.
    Well, we have to wait a little until we know what kind of positioning they'll get in forthcoming advertisement.
    Can aswell be "quit the hype, regain your roots" and then, it'll be adequate.
    Somehow I agree that this message wasn't as positive as possible. BUT Chen isn't sugarcoating anything. One question = 1 honest response. Stop delusional expectations; one step after the other, no BS. There's a lot of conditional in his statement I read as in "I cannot prove you we'll be iconic again, so I have to answer "not sure" about it and anyways, it's not our current goal".
    So far, it's been a nice way to expose the strategy.
    Remember, 6 months ago : "that's a 50-50 we can handle that", now : "the bankrupt syndrom is now pure fantasy and we go investment and hiring people again to anticipate the future" (these are not actual quotes, just a way to explain). Same may apply ... in due time
    07-30-14 02:30 AM

Eazzy Peazzy

SAP clearly stated that they will make strong partnerships in their cloud and IoT development ("of course we won't do this alone" is the sentence - or the likes - I remind, I believe I quoted it somewhare before).
    How could it be by chance all the BlackBerry execs are former SAP/Sybase employees ? Having worked with Chen alone is not enough.
    I'm ready to bet on this, unless something happened since the "for sale" period. I repeat that I believe (no facts to backup this) this parnership is pendant since Chen's aboard. But both company have a tough scheduled roadmap to face their own challenges. SAP is also deeply restructuring and focusing their strategy on "cloud based" operations and IoT. How could they wipe the mobile world and ignore what will probably be the most (and first released) IoT "BIOS" from their long lasting and loyal partner ?

Timing ... timing ... timing. All is in the timing.
    Call me a dreamer ... that's what I am ... eventually
    07-30-14 02:47 AM
    I wonder if someone here, on this blog, could monitor what the German media have to say about this deal, if anything? Spiegel, Frankfurter Zeitung?
    Not many articles about the 20000 crypto smartphones deal.

I'm monitoring the S�ddeutsche Zeitung, but since one or two years there are almost no articles about BlackBerry anymore. But the same newspaper still uses the term "iPhone" as a synonym for "smartphone".
    Like: "A new app for your iPhone ...", "I took a photo with my iPhone..." and so on.
    I guess, 95 % of the media people here are using Apple products solely. In their view almost everyone has an iPhone, and the few who don't bougth it by accident.
    Therefore every Apple news is huge, and BlackBerry news are not worth to mention.

Ford drops 6000 blackberrys for iPhones = huge
    20000 crypto-devices for German government = booooring

It seems, the stockmarket experts outside this thread are at the same level, LOL.

But I'm sure that the decision-maker in the industry, who have to choose a secure communication platform are more educated than this folk (Exceptions confirm the rule).
    07-30-14 03:42 AM
    Ford drops 6000 blackberrys for iPhones = huge
    20000 crypto-devices for German government = booooring
    But isn't the German government already a BlackBerry customer? Therefore there was zero change in market share. To most, maintaining the status quo makes for boring news.

In the Ford case, there was a shift to a competitor and this is interesting to most.
    07-30-14 07:05 AM
    At 9.51 on the close yesterday, the stock is due for a bounce back. It's up north of 1% in the pre market right now. Pending Janet yellens announcement from the FOMC meeting today, this can fluctuate depending on the interest rate news she releases. Prediction - the stock will close today at 10.80

Stayontop-lifestyle.com
    Soumaila Somtore likes this.
    07-30-14 07:09 AM
    From the Project Ion press release:

It will offer the resources necessary to access massive amounts of data from multiple disparate sources and distill it into meaningful, actionable information using open source and third party analytic tools. This deeper insight will empower companies and organizations across a range of industries. These include doctors and caregivers who require real-time diagnosis information to improve patient care, consumer products companies seeking new ways to better understand and engage with their customers, insurers pursuing more accurate risk profile information and manufacturers in need of better logistics and control data
    So basically they plan collect your data and sell it to third parties. Why haven't I heard a single word of protest about this? How come when Google or Microsoft does it, it is considered evil, but because it's BlackBerry it's alright?
    07-30-14 07:13 AM
    Greg, please stop with this. You have zero fact to backup what you're writting again and again about this.
    So please, unless you have anything new to provide about it, just quit the BS work.It's embarrassing now.
    Thanks.
    I think it is a good comment. What proof do you people have to show Blackberry is secure from the NSA?

Funny how no matter how ridiculous they statements are FOR Blackberry (and there are many), few here can stand to hear any negative and complain! Reminds me of our government and how the news reports what they do.

Good to see a few of the members, here, have see the light and no longer drink the Blackberry Koolaid unconditionally!

One sided conversation does not make a good forum.
    07-30-14 07:14 AM
    From the Project Ion press release:

So basically they plan collect your data and sell it to third parties. Why haven't I heard a single word of protest about this? How come when Google or Microsoft does it, it is considered evil, but because it's BlackBerry it's alright?
    No!!!

They are building tools and infrastructure FOR those companies! Think bus schedules/usage, wind turbines, industrial metrics.

Blackberry IoT is not Apple/Google iot.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    07-30-14 07:22 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-10568941_346899915457155_1821715335515433203_n.jpg

rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-30-14 07:55 AM
    07-30-14 07:56 AM
    07-30-14 07:58 AM
    I think you nailed the difference Rock...Google MS and Apple too are all trying to corner the market and control it. BlackBerry is trying to provide tools for improved understanding of big data. I think there is a market for secure data too...that's where they are headed imo.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, sidhuk, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    07-30-14 08:01 AM
    07-30-14 08:03 AM
    I think it is a good comment. What proof do you people have to show Blackberry is secure from the NSA?

Funny how no matter how ridiculous they statements are FOR Blackberry (and there are many), few here can stand to hear any negative and complain! Reminds me of our government and how the news reports what they do.

Good to see a few of the members, here, have see the light and no longer drink the Blackberry Koolaid unconditionally!

One sided conversation does not make a good forum.
    How about zero evidence they ever have...your man Snowden would have stated "BlackBerry too" had they been.

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-30-14 08:04 AM
    BlackBerry is well differentiated in #IoT with its handset HW security & uniquely rated QNX OS. https://t.co/zWNx8IhCwP #BBSecurity"

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    07-30-14 09:11 AM
113,256 ... 27642765276627672768 ...