427 37.82%
    Knock knock
    "Who's there"
    Tizen
    "Tizen who"
    Tizen(t) released...again

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-29-14 08:01 AM
    per JC "company will soon be on growth footing. Expecting revenue growth in Q2 of next fiscal year"
    07-29-14 08:01 AM
    Extremely happy with Secusmart acquisition.

We had talked about this a few months ago, on this thread. Wise move.
    07-29-14 08:03 AM
    Extremely happy with Secusmart acquisition.

We had talked about this a few months ago, on this thread. Wise move.
    We,are way ahead of the curve. Lol

Eazzy Peazzy
    georg4BB, sidhuk, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:04 AM
    BlackBerry to Acquire German Encryption Technology Company - WSJ

TORONTO— BlackBerry Ltd. Tuesday agreed to acquire Germany's Secusmart GmbH for an undisclosed amount to further bolster its mobile security offerings for companies and governments.

BlackBerry is counting on a return to its roots in developing secure smartphone technology for the enterprise market to reignite profits after its bid to compete in the consumer market against Apple Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. and other device makers fell flat. Closely held Secusmart of D�sseldorf makes encryption technology to guard against eavesdropping and counts the German and Canadian governments as customers. The technology runs on BlackBerry 10 phones and is even used by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"This is a high value-added technology that I could charge for…and [it] creates that much more distance between me and competitors," BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said in an interview.

Governments and companies rely increasingly on digital communications, making them more susceptible to cyberattacks.

Earlier Tuesday, the Canadian government reported a breach on the IT systems of one of its agencies without providing further details.

Secusmart believes the tie-up will spur its expansion, as demand for technology to "combat electronic eavesdropping and data theft," increases, Secusmart Managing Director Hans-Christoph Quelle, said in a statement.
    07-29-14 08:05 AM
    We,are way ahead of the curve. Lol
    No question.
    07-29-14 08:06 AM
    BlackBerry buffs up security credentials with Secusmart deal | Reuters

(Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd is buying a privately held German firm that specializes in voice and data encryption, it said on Tuesday, in a bid to burnish its credentials with highly security-conscious clients like government agencies.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone maker did not disclose the terms of its deal to acquire Secusmart GmbH, which specializes in encryption and anti-eavesdropping services for governments, companies and telecommunications service providers.

The acquisition is the latest by the smartphone pioneer to build on niche areas in an attempt to reinvent itself under new Chief Executive John Chen and recover ground ceded to Apple's iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co's Galaxy devices.

Chen wants to remain a competitor in the smartphone segment, but is focused on building on BlackBerry's strong mobile device management abilities by beefing up its security and corporate app offerings.

Secusmart's technology is currently being used to protect the devices of government officials in both Canada and Germany, including the BlackBerry device used by German Chancellor Angela Merkel in the wake of the U.S. spying scandal last year.

"Everybody wants to talk about eavesdropping, but it really isn't just that. Both governments and enterprises are now more and more focused on security in the mobile world," said Chen in an interview, adding that the Secusmart deal gives BlackBerry yet another leg up on the competition in relation to device security.

Besides the new line of BlackBerry 10 devices, Secusmart's technology is also used to secure the landline phones of both corporations and government agencies.

BlackBerry said its acquisition of Secusmart underscores its commitment to being the leader in mobile security.

ON A GROWTH FOOTING

Chen said the company, which has gone through a rough and extended restructuring process over the last two years, will be soon getting back on a growth footing with the last of its lay-offs likely to be completed by the end of July.

"We are already starting to turn on our machine to now hire people," said Chen, adding that any headcount growth is likely to be moderate for now.

"I want to make sure that we don't get carried away and get ourselves into trouble again financially, but then again, we do need to invest in certain areas, if we want to compete in the future," said Chen, a well regarded turnaround expert in the technology industry, who took the reins at BlackBerry some nine months ago.

The firm has also been expanding its enterprise sales team.

Chen said he expects the company to show revenue growth midway through the next calendar year after the firm rolls out its upcoming Passport and BlackBerry Classic devices, and an updated version of its mobile device management software.

"Knock on wood. I feel pretty good about where we are in terms of the turnaround," said Chen. "We still have work to do, so I wouldn't say we've completed the turnaround, but the tough decisions and the tough thinking have already been taken or are done." (Reporting by Euan Rocha)
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:08 AM
    So...I would think this pretty much eliminates any small (misconception) advantage that Black phone may have enjoyed.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, georg4BB, ZayDub and 7 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:10 AM
    BB handset with securesmart will be the new HOT device to have imo
    07-29-14 08:13 AM
    07-29-14 08:17 AM
    I really am enjoying the puppet master JC..
    In less than three quarters of a year he has switched the conversation from consumer this / consumer that to privacy, security and end to end data integrity. It's the new buzz word...and we own the segment.
    Well done Mr Chen.

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, georg4BB, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:20 AM
    This is pretty good:
    https://twitter.com/BlackBerry4Biz?o...60612087484419

Mark Weatherford (Chertoff Group): "I would sooner share my toothbrush with you than let you plug your phone into my laptop"
    Plus this, from earlier:

Steve Wilson @Steve_Lockstep
    Chen claims 50% share of connected cars' software.
    07-29-14 08:28 AM
    This is pretty good:

Plus this, from earlier:
    Nice find

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-29-14 08:29 AM
    I've seen this quoted by the reporter two times today, and I think it may be subtle, but he indicates some 'breaking news' which will be released tomorrow, in reference to partnerships (or perhaps it could be something else) -- any ideas???

I don't know if anyone else picked up on his statement, but i'm trying to read the tea leaves, and determine if this news may materially affect the stock price....hmmm

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    Guess I called this one....i knew something was coming today LOL. Read the tea leaves....noow let's see how the market likes the SecureSmart news

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    07-29-14 08:30 AM
    BlackBerry are improving on the Communications' front:

Published at 9:00 AM

BlackBerry to acquire anti-eavesdropping firm Secusmart?commentary

John Chen, executive chair and CEO of BlackBerry

The device you may be reading this article on right now is an indispensable window to the world. But, it can also be an unlocked door to your most private medical records, your company's most important customer data or your country's most vital secrets. I'm not being alarmist. There are crippling threats enterprises around the world face as they move toward a mobile-first, cloud-first environment.

In order to better tackle these threats, we announced today that BlackBerry has signed an agreement to acquire Secusmart. It's a strategic move for BlackBerry, and it provides another important tool for enterprises to combat the type of threats that are becoming more common such as electronic eavesdropping and data theft.

We have addressed eavesdropping concerns with Secusmart, who has been a partner since 2009 and we currently have the SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10. It's a solution used by Germany's Federal Office for Information Security for classified communications between the country's top officials, including Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Secusmart is the leader in high-security voice and data encryption and anti-eavesdropping solutions for government organizations, enterprises and telecommunications service providers. By taking our partnership one step deeper, we're extending our security leadership with Secusmart's talent and technology.

Factor in that the average hard cost of a data breach at a U.S. firm is $5.85 million (with reputational and organizational costs much, much higher) and it's no wonder that mobile security ranks near the top of concerns among corporate and government leaders. That threat is only going to rise as we move rapidly away from desktops and central servers into a decentralized technological era powered by billions of interconnected mobile devices.

The search for security is neverending as long as there are hackers and cyber criminals working to crack the security code. And the playing field has changed so dramatically over the years. Devices used to be like primitive planets locked in orbit around their own little stars. They were extensions of legacy systems. Now devices are more like their own galaxies – self-sufficient, highly integrated and expanding at ever-faster rates. The question all of us – corporate executives, government leaders, medical professionals and everyday citizens – must confront is how vulnerable these Galaxies really are.

Some will assure you that their security is as tight as Fort Knox or Iron-clad or "Good enough," while others make Big Blue sky promises about keeping the doctor away.

The truth is, none of them have a proven track record in rigorous end-to-end mobile security. None are prepared for the radical changes the next few years will bring as we move toward the much-heralded Internet of Things. Part of the problem is that the definition of security varies from person to person and organization to organization.

At BlackBerry, we have always approached security as integral to everything we do. It's not just an offering we provide – security is a philosophy we embody. We don't believe security is a widget or a protocol you tack on at the end to make a consumer-focused device appear enterprise-ready.

For users, privacy is an essential aspect of security. Privacy is one tumbler in the lock that makes up a secure ecosystem. Trust is another essential element of security. You can't do what you need to do if you're constantly worried that someone might be looking over your shoulder.

Trust becomes exponentially more important as the Internet of Things takes shape, allowing us an unprecedented level of control over the world around us. We are pioneers in those systems. Just one example is with QNX, which is the top choice among automakers to power onboard computers. It also runs medical diagnostic and monitoring equipment, manages nuclear power plants, controls high-speed railroad signals, and is trusted to control sophisticated aeronautics and defense applications.

That's an amazing level of control. And control is the vital element of security. This will define how successfully enterprises and governments move into a mobile-first world, and how much control they exert over mobile users versus how much control users have themselves. For years, many IT managers loved to restrict what users were able to do. In a different era, that was important. Today, true security is about enabling people to do more.

We are at the beginning of a fundamentally new era in computing and communications – an era where billions of distributed devices give us more access and power than at any time in human history. That's incredibly exciting, but incredibly dangerous if you can't answer this question: How secure is your smartphone if it falls into the wrong hands?

John Chen is chief executive officer of BlackBerry and executive chair of the company's board of directors. Follow BlackBerry on Twitter at @BlackBerry4Biz.
    07-29-14 08:39 AM
    This is a great new in more then one way. More importantly i think this new sends the message of blackberry isn't going anywhere. A company that is going under isn't buying other companies. I hope this really gets that point across .
    07-29-14 08:46 AM
    If it takes a day and a half
    For a chicken and a half
    To lay an egg and half
    How long does it take for a rooster to hack an iPhone?

Bhahahaha

Sorry...

Eazzy Peazzy
    rarsen, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:47 AM
    Talking about improved Communications...

Eagen talks about BlackBerry Guardian which will scan apps from Amazon App Store on the device.
    And now, this:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-wd.png

How BlackBerry And Trend Micro Protect You From Malicious Apps | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    Last edited by Corbu; 07-29-14 at 09:19 AM.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, W Hoa and 8 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:48 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd buying Germany?s Secusmart to stake ground in battle for government contracts | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd. is acquiring Secusmart, a German maker of encryption technology in a bid to further position the Waterloo, Ont.-handset maker as a secure solution for enterprise clients such as governments.

Secusmart’s technology makes it harder for hackers to eavesdrop on voice calls and data, and already counts German chancellor Angela Merkel and the country’s Ministry of the Interior as users of its encrypted BlackBerry devices.

“We are very pleased to announce the acquisition of a company we’ve been working with for a long time,” chief executive John Chen said Tuesday at BlackBerry’s Security Summit in New York.

Terms of the takeover were not announced. The purchase is subject to regulatory approval.

Secusmart co-founder and managing director Hans-Christoph Quelle told the summit that the pairing was a “perfect match.”

“We built for BlackBerry the most secure smartphone in the world,” he said. “Our goal is to get this device into the hands of every president or chancellor.”

Last year, BlackBerry and Secusmart introduced the SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10, which was selected by Germany’s Federal Office for Information Security for classified communications by the country’s top public officials.

BlackBerry is the only device which passed the German ministry’s standards for secure phones and cleared for use by its officials, a ministry spokesperson told the Financial Post on Monday.

The announcement comes a day after Germany’s Federal Ministry of the Interior said it wanted to get more encrypted BlackBerry devices from Secusmart for its officials. It also falls in line with BlackBerry’s strategy to focus on enterprise clients and regulated industries such as healthcare and financial entities.

Mr. Chen said on Tuesday that BlackBerry continues to be interested in its consumer business, but in the long run it will be enterprise clients that will anchor the company.
    07-29-14 08:54 AM
    Dan Dodge - BlackBerry QNX says "we're in something like 45 million cars."
    bungaboy, rarsen, georg4BB and 3 others like this.
    07-29-14 08:58 AM
    Another asset worth a fortune for Blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 08:59 AM
    And you can easily double that over the next two years with Ford adopting QNX last quarter.

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-29-14 09:01 AM
    Best quote of the #bbsecurity summit. "All power outlets are reserved for iphones. They need it.". John Chen CEO Blackberry"

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    07-29-14 09:02 AM
    This is pretty good:

Plus this, from earlier:
    VP, Charles Eagen from @BlackBerry - Security is a lot like oxygen, you don't miss it until you don't have it. #BBSecurity
    Corbu, W Hoa, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    07-29-14 09:06 AM
    07-29-14 09:08 AM
113,256 ... 27592760276127622763 ...