View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Deep thoughts:

The more I see BlackBerry evolving, the more I have to agree with SuperFly, that the ultimate direction for BlackBerry may just fall into the hands of SAP(??)

Not sure, other than stock price, if this will be good or not. I like the connection, but not the fact that BlackBerry may be bought by a foreign company. Prefer a strong merger, as Super has mentioned.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    07-22-14 01:50 PM
    Apple is going to make a killing with the large screen phones. Get ready for the marketing bombardment and the sucking up by blogs praising how amazing it is to have a big screen iphone.
    07-22-14 01:52 PM
    So one of the largest and most scrutinized and analyzed companies in the world has been fudging their financials and artificially propping up their share price. That would be quite a scandal because Apple is probably one of the most widely owned companies in existence. The executives would certainly be risking criminal prosecution and crippling civil litigation by doing so.

All one has to do is look at what technology people are using to get a sense of whether Apple is in a slump. When I got together with my extended family last Christmas, I was amazed at how many mobile devices we had in the house made by this one company.
    I agree. That would indeed be quite a scandal....

Regarding Apple being ubiquitous in North America, I have no argument there.
    07-22-14 01:59 PM
    Not that I'm a fan, but it looks like Mobile Iron is pushing ahead with the roll out of their new Automated Cloud Solution for Enterprise Mobility Management in Japan - See more at: http://www.noodls.com/view/7B810C34C....yIyzQ650.dpuf

Edit: I believe this is the market that BBRY has abounded if I'm not mistaken

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    07-22-14 01:59 PM
    apple is going to make a killing with the large screen phones. Get ready for the marketing bombardment and the sucking up by blogs praising how amazing it is to have a big screen iphone.
    80 million of them just to start!
    07-22-14 02:24 PM
    I really hope this is the case but in the hardware war blackberry has little chance and reclaiming there status at the top of the hill with devices. Yes i think that BOYD has a chance to fall and BBRY can regain the enterprise glory but blackberries future is in services and software.
    Without handsets, Blackberry will have a very steep hill to climb.
    07-22-14 02:27 PM
    I don't know about that... AAPL releases earnings today after close. maybe the big money is waiting to see if AAPL exceeds expectations, and then they'll move their money accordingly.

BB10 4 ME
    Apple frequently has quarters not up to expectation when the talk becomes tangible that the new phone will be released. I think we are there. 3 mins and we will know for sure?
    07-22-14 02:57 PM
    Asked to make up to 80m devices be the end of the year...

But wait there is more...

There could be difficulties with in-cell production technology for the larger 5.5-inch size, one of the sources told Reuters then.
    To factor in the possibility of a higher failure rate for displays, Apple has asked component makers to be prepared to make up to 120 million iPhones.

That is a 30% failure rate they are budgeting for. Um, really?

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=6c6c-1db3

BB10 4 ME
    07-22-14 03:35 PM
    07-22-14 03:35 PM
    OT: Apple

I know this is OT but I was following the Earnings thing on the WSJ and I believe there are some interesting abservations in what follows. A few references to the IBM deal as well.

I have tried to extract the most relevant parts for your enjoyment...

6:02 PM
    That’s the end of the call. The big takeaway for me was how iPad, how it is lagging behind in developed markets, and the admission that it isn’t penetrating the business market as Apple hoped. The talk about the IBM deal as a solution was pretty eyes open. Aside from the call with Wall Street, Cook addressed iPad in an interview with the Journal. “This isn’t something that worries us,” he said.

5:56 PM
    A question on enterprise: Will Apple change how developers can sell apps to businesses? Apple says no change with those rules. The idea there, I think, is that Apple could inject itself into that piece of the market and siphon off revenue. But Cook shakes his head, no, right now Apple just wants that business penetration.

5:54 PM
    A follow-up on the IBM deal: Is this an Apple play for Big Data? Cook falls back, saying a win for Apple is to drive that 20% business penetration number cited earlier to 60%. “The walls would shake,” he said.

5:53 PM
    Next question is about Apple going against its grain with two big deals — Beats and the IBM partnership. Is Apple changing? Cook concedes that was unusual. But with Beats, Apple got a rare set of talent, Cook said — and a fast-growing business in the hardware — and with IBM there was a partnership that made sense. As he always does, Cook says Apple doesn’t let money burn a hole in its pocket and will make deals that make sense. It’s never a goal to spend X dollars or acquire Y companies.

[...]

5:31 PM
    Next question is thoughts on the tablet market. Cook’s answer is nearly identical to how he started it last quarter — let’s back up and marvel at our awesome sales in a product category we pretty much created. And just like last quarter, he says he is exciting that so many people — in this case, more than 50% — of iPad buyers are first-time buyers. Education share is 85%. Fortune 500 gets a mention, at 99% share.

Cook says that the iPad penetration in U.S. business is low, only 20%. That was part of the thinking behind the IBM partnership, he said. The positive in that, then, is the upside potential. He cites the crummy apps available. “I believe the opportunity is huge,” Cook says.

The theory, Cook says, that tablets will surpass PCs is still intact. But he says Apple needs to give the trajectory a kick in the pants, and that’s the deal with IBM, a “first-class company.”

[…]

5:24 PM
    Maestri moved on to the financials: $137.7 billion, or 84% of Apple’s cash, is offshore. Cash flow was $10.3 billion. Successful debt offerings — most of this was in the initial press release. Beats deal expected to close this quarter. On to the questions…

5:20 PM
    He has moved on to Mac, which was driven by the laptops. Double-digit growth in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, China and many other countries, he said. He points out the growth comes amid a contraction of the PC market.

5:19 PM
    Maestri said iPad sales grew in developing markets — Apple was very excited about the performance of BRIC countries. Maestri mentioned the Middle East, China and India in particular. Apple reduced its iPad channel inventory by 500,000, he said.

5:17 PM
    Maestri said iPhone sales were at the high end of Apple’s expectations despite the “new product rumors” that Apple thinks held some people back from making purchases. Hearing that, you have to think then that Apple expects a gush of pent up demand when the next phones come out. (Those rumors: a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions, likely announced in September.)

5:15 PM
    Maestri has the mic now. He mentions the quarterly record for revenue at $37.4 billion, which was at the high end of Apple’s guidance. And despite a reduction in inventory in China for iPhone and iPad.

[...]

5:09 PM
    Still going — if you really need a refresher on all that WWDC stuff, read this. He just mentioned the IBM relationship, and his statement really did go from regular language to the worst kind of corporatespeak — “ew class of mobile business solutions to enterprise customers” – was that on purpose?

5:07 PM
    Cook is still going through all of the WWDC announcements — the new OS language, CarPlay, Healthkit, etc.

5:06 PM
    He points out that Apple introduced more than 4,000 APIs — this is wonky talk to basically say that Apple’s software ecosystem, known as being locked down, is opening up so developers can have their apps work better with it.

[...]

4:53 PM
    Here’s the initial cut at the earnings article from Daisuke Wakabayashi. He points out the wide range for the revenue forecast at $3 billion, and that is below what analysts were thinking. Here is an excerpt:
    “In the past few years, the June quarter has been the slowest for Apple as the company gears up with new products ahead of the year-end. The technology giant is banking on an expected new product push of larger iPhones and a series of smartwatches before year-end to reinvigorate earnings that have flattened after more than a decade of remarkable growth, raising concerns that Apple is losing its innovative touch.
    Apple said profit in its fiscal third quarter was $7.75 billion, up 12.3% from $6.9 billion in the year-ago period. Apple’s earnings per share rose to $1.28 from $1.07, adjusted for the company’s recent 7-for-1 stock split and lifted by the company’s stock repurchase program, which decreased the pool of total shares compared with a year earlier.”
    And here is a funny headline from our colleagues at MoneyBeat on Wall Street’s reaction: “Apple Earnings: Mortal Profits Disappoint Street”

4:49 PM
    Apple’s stock tipped lower after hours, down about a half-percent. That iPad number is going to trouble investors. Last quarter, Cook was quick to remind people how alarmingly fast the product grew — faster than the iPhone, even. He was right, of course. But there’s been a sense of fear that people are starting to realize the limitations of a device that isn’t quite as efficient as a PC and not as portable as a smartphone. (That spells “niche.”) I don’t really think a smartwatch is going to replace this kind of product category.

4:46 PM
    Looking ahead, here are Apple’s forecasts:
    Revenue of between $37 billion and $40 billion
    Gross margin of between 37% and 38%
    Operating expenses between $4.75 billion and $4.85 billion

4:45
    The Mac even got a shout out in the customary CEO praise paragraph in the press release:
    “Our record June quarter revenue was fueled by strong sales of iPhone and Mac and the continued growth of revenue from the Apple ecosystem, driving our highest EPS growth rate in seven quarters,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We are incredibly excited about the upcoming releases of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, as well as other new products and services that we can’t wait to introduce.”

4:43
    Mac computers, while a smaller part of Apple’s business, were up 18%. That’s just an interesting number if you consider how often “post-PC” has been thrown around in the past few years. PCs of all stripes are enjoying a little renaissance (driven in part of businesses finally having to trade up from Windows XP machines, but still.) The Mac chugs along too.

4:41
    The iPad remained a dour note, which fell for the second-straight quarter, and it will be interesting to see how Cook explains the performance. Apple said it sold 13.28 million iPads, down 9.2% from a year earlier and shy of Wall Street had expected.

4:40
    What did we learn? The iPhone revenue spigot continues to run wide open — this before the company is set to make significant changes to the lineup by introducing two phones with bigger screens. As far as Wall Street and its forecasts, the results were hit and miss. The iPhone unit number was shy of forecasts, as was the revenue. Net income and per-share profit, though, topped forecasts.

4:35
    Revenue from operations in Greater China — that includes Hong Kong and Taiwan — was up 28% to $5.94 billion. This market represents a huge opportunity for Apple, which not too long ago inked a deal with Chinese carriers to sell the iPhone there.

4:34
    Apple is forecasting revenue for the fourth quarter of between $37 billion and $40 billion.

4:33
    iPad sales: 13.3 million
    iPhone sales: 35.2 million
    Mac sales: 4.41 million
    iPod sales: 2.93 million

4:32 PM
    Per-share earnings: $1.28 Sales: $37.4 billion Net income: $7.7 billion Gross margin: 39.4%

[...]

4:21PM
    Cook often touts Apple’s wins in the enterprise market, dropping the names of companies that are using the iPad and talking up how many Fortune 500 companies have adopted the tablet. I wonder how many analysts will ask about the announcement Apple made with IBM. Yes, there will be consumer apps and Apple Care, but I’m curious if Apple has any sense of how many iPads it thinks IBM can sell.
    And this, on MSFT:

Microsoft Corp. said its quarterly profit declined 7.1% as the company absorbed a financial hit from acquiring Nokia Corp.’s money-losing cellphone business.
    Last edited by Corbu; 07-22-14 at 05:07 PM.
    07-22-14 03:59 PM
    "Whether Apple can again produce a revolutionary new product, something it has not done since the iPad in 2010, remains the central question in the minds of investors and Silicon Valley executives."
    sidhuk, StormieTwo, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    07-22-14 04:09 PM
    07-22-14 04:26 PM
    Isn't that the idea behind Balance??? I'm hoping that once govs start distributing BB10 devices that word of mouth will help. But not if they pick up the Z10. I had one and moved on to Z30. A HUGE improvement.

I've said a thousand times and will say again that need to keep the same forms and names but just update them for a couple years. Need to build not only brand loyalty but device loyalty. And accessory manufacturers will be able to expand their portfolios for BlackBerry devices

Posted via CB10
    Agreed on products staying about the same name. BMW brings out a 3 series every year or two. But consumers know what the three series is about. A Z and a Q every year would make this understandable as well. Passport is confusing. But also an interesting idea.

Balance is exactly the right idea. But how can anyone except the most technical folks know if it works? I bet many folks don't trust that there isn't an override to it.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 06:55 PM
    Stormietwo, great writing so far. Keep it coming

#BBFactCheck
    07-22-14 07:56 PM
    Stormietwo, great writing so far. Keep it coming

#BBFactCheck
    Thanks, I do what I can.

BB10 4 ME
    07-22-14 08:05 PM
    So...seems some of us do think alike:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140722_194415.png

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-22-14 08:45 PM
    Well good catch because according to their ER report for 3 quarter iPad sale were pretty poor.

I hope john Chen is right about the end of tablet life and now is the beginning of phablet.

#BBFactCheck
    07-22-14 09:16 PM
    Have you seen this? Sorry if already posted:
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/bla...-market-share/

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-22-14 10:29 PM
    Have you seen this? Sorry if already posted:
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/bla...-market-share/

Eazzy Peazzy
    Start the pre-order BlackBerry! I am waiting...
    07-23-14 01:25 AM
    Asked to make up to 80m devices be the end of the year...

But wait there is more...

There could be difficulties with in-cell production technology for the larger 5.5-inch size, one of the sources told Reuters then.
    To factor in the possibility of a higher failure rate for displays, Apple has asked component makers to be prepared to make up to 120 million iPhones.

That is a 30% failure rate they are budgeting for. Um, really?

Apple Inc asks suppliers to build up to 80 million big-screen iPhones, report says | Financial Post

BB10 4 ME
    Well then maybe Apple should just cancel the 5.5" model . . . . NOT!

You are singing to the BBRY choir and they are happy and clapping!
    07-23-14 05:01 AM
    07-23-14 05:48 AM
    This news is all over the Web. However, it is hard for many people to give blackberry a credit where credit is due, For their security because, it is a fashion to like apple and bash blackberry.
    When people are convinced about something, they will just get narrow minded cause majority is doing it.
    It is like "Bad Painter", painting over and over to hide bad drywall taping.
    Or hating Obama cause he uses blackberry not iPhone.
    Lol
    Can't believe people even hate giving education to a child because their parents are illegal immigrants, not understanding that child has no control over his domicile.
    In the end, is it just a phone? No it is not just a phone anymore when it comes to invasion of privacy. These companies should be prosecuted and Europe has started to do this. It is a matter of time before privacy and security would be high priority. Both of the major mobile operating systems are lacking when it comes down to security and privacy. in fact, Google's main source of income is invading other people's privacy.
    IMO, just a matter of time, before Bad painter would have to fix the drywall first.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    bungaboy, ibpluto, rarsen and 12 others like this.
    07-23-14 06:47 AM
    This news is all over the Web. However, it is hard for many people to give blackberry a credit where credit is due, For their security because, it is a fashion to like apple and bash blackberry.
    When people are convinced about something, they will just get narrow minded cause majority is doing it.
    It is like "Bad Painter", painting over and over to hide bad drywall taping.
    Or hating Obama cause he uses blackberry not iPhone.
    Lol
    Can't believe people even hate giving education to a child because their parents are illegal immigrants, not understanding that child has no control over his domicile.
    In the end, is it just a phone? No it is not just a phone anymore when it comes to invasion of privacy. These companies should be prosecuted and Europe has started to do this. It is a matter of time before privacy and security would be high priority. Both of the major mobile operating systems are lacking when it comes down to security and privacy. in fact, Google's main source of income is invading other people's privacy.
    IMO, just a matter of time, before Bad painter would have to fix the drywall first.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Great stuff, Sidhuk! Thanks for inspirational words of the day!
    Corbu, rarsen, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    07-23-14 07:10 AM
    I think this is great news for bbry, will the stock react no lol but this might get the ball rolling. I dont think north american consumers really care but enterprise customers and consumers in other countries will really take note of this.
    07-23-14 07:20 AM
    I think this is great news for bbry, will the stock react no lol but this might get the ball rolling. I dont think north american consumers really care but enterprise customers and consumers in other countries will really take note of this.
    Maybe Germany can start the ball rolling by banning the iPhone :P

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 07:41 AM
113,256 ... 27462747274827492750 ...