Mobile Workers: ‘I Want My BlackBerry Back’ | CIO

Mobile Workers: ‘I Want My BlackBerry Back’

MORE LIKE THIS
    All About BYOD
    What Is Going Wrong With BYOD?
    appleibm primary
    Apple’s Partnership With IBM Leaves CIOs Hanging

Credit:edans via Flickr
    The leading smartphones weren't designed with business implications in mind. One of the results: When IT gets access to popular smartphones, it gets access to everything. These privacy concerns are leading many users to ask for their BlackBerry back.

Tom Kaneshige
    By Tom Kaneshige Follow
    CIO | Jul 21, 2014 8:41 AM
    At a well-known investment firm in New York City, something strange is happening: Mobile app performance issues and privacy concerns have sparked a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) revolt, and now many employees are asking for their corporate BlackBerry back.

FEATURED RESOURCE

PRESENTED BY NETSKOPE
    10 Alternatives to Heavy-Handed Cloud App Control
    Blocking any useful cloud app doesn't work and ultimately does the business a disservice. This list
    LEARN MORE
    "It's a nightmare," says an IT executive speaking on condition of anonymity.

The executive says he's tried four mobile device management (MDM) products and, in every instance, has had significant problems. Architectural failings made some rollouts difficult, he says. One MDM featured an impressive containerized solution but no push notifications for email. Another wouldn't let salespeople send email from inside the Salesforce app or open a PDF with GoodReader.

"The failure of these systems has to do with little things that drive users crazy," the IT executive says. "We're an investment firm with a hundred-something monkeys, everyone is super smart, everyone is a prima donna, and it's very difficult to accommodate them."

[Related: What Is Going Wrong with BYOD?]

Then there's the battery drain MDM software has on phones and tablets. Some apps drain the battery in a matter of hours. One MDM solution was running down the battery on Android devices, the IT executive says, while hammering the server like a denial-of-service attack, and thus had to be removed.

Privacy Concerns Change Everything

But the biggest BYOD backlash is over privacy, or rather lack thereof.

In order to safeguard corporate data, the IT executive has had to enact BYOD user policies that favor the company's rights over the employee's expectations of privacy. The IT department also restricted the use of certain apps such as text messaging, because all communication between employees and clients must be retained and reviewable and text messages aren't easy to retrieve.

Moreover, only one MDM vendor had a solution that would inform the employee that an IT admin was turning on location services or looking at the apps inventory on a BYOD. The employee could see the status but couldn't decline such accessibility. With other vendors' solutions, an IT admin's actions would remain largely hidden from the employee.

[Related: Why One CIO Is Saying 'No' to BYOD ]

"Things like this drove a wedge between IT and the users," says the IT executive. "We became Big Brother. Everyone was convinced that we were doing this because we wanted to see what the hell they're doing. In reality, it's all about protecting the data."

Employees didn't want the company to know their whereabouts, especially when traveling internationally, and revolted. Many would rather carry two phones -- a personal phone and a corporate phone -- so they can leave the corporate phone at home or in the hotel room when they go out.

"Maybe 60 percent of the people requested to go back to a BlackBerry and carry two devices," the IT executive says. "We were shocked, blown away, by the privacy reaction."

iPhones Never Designed for Business Use

In hindsight, the IT executive understands the emotions that can arise with privacy concerns. The problem is that iPhones are consumer devices never designed for the enterprise. The iPhone was meant for just the user, not a user and an admin. So when an admin has access to a device, the admin has access to everything.

"There really is a great deal of capability inside these devices, [such as] the ability to turn on the camera or a microphone and listen to conversations," says the IT executive. "This stuff is pretty spooky."
    bungaboy, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    07-21-14 02:47 PM
    07-21-14 03:08 PM
    $9.99

Played like a Cape Breton . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-giant-fiddle-cape-breton.jpg
    Corbu, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 7 others like this.
    07-21-14 03:08 PM
    So this is pretty interesting. I doubt it will change anything, but I'd be pretty pissed if I owned an iOS device.

http://www.zdnet.com/forensic-scient...ce-7000031795/

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Mr BBRY, 3_M4N and 13 others like this.
    07-21-14 03:20 PM
    http://www.mobildesigns.com/shownews.php?id=7129
    APPLE IPHONE USERS RECEIVING SPAM ON IMESSAGE OFFERING COUNTERFEIT GOODS
    Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    07-21-14 04:27 PM
    So this is pretty interesting. I doubt it will change anything, but I'd be pretty pissed if I owned an iOS device.

http://www.zdnet.com/forensic-scient...ce-7000031795/

Posted via CB10
    Here is a follow-up article that came up at the bottom of the article above. I think it's a repost from earlier this year, but the comments are current and mostly positive
    http://www.workintelligent.ly/techno...rising+phoenix

BB10 4 ME
    07-21-14 05:23 PM
    Atleast ZINC did well today. I wish I knew why.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    07-21-14 06:14 PM
    Had a thought today. BlackBerry needs to remove Z10 from portfolio or upgrade it asap. If businesses or govs start distributing this device they will be disappointed. It's a great form factor and WAS an awesome device but it's no longer current and will be a negative first impression for those that order it (compared to what it COULD be). Let's have a Z10 form factor that performs like the Z30. Then we'll have an awesome device again . We want positive word of mouth not negative word of mouth.

Posted via CB10
    AFAIK, there's no more production for Z10. (I'll try to fact check this ASAP).

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-21-14 06:35 PM
    Things could always be worse . . .

Attachment 286324
    We should all short them. When they are gone, then it's onto IBM to short.
    07-21-14 06:42 PM
    AFAIK, there's no more production for Z10. (I'll try to fact check this ASAP).

Posted via CB10
    Good. It is a nice phone. I'm using it now. But it should get a processor update at the very least before selling it again in volume. Or the Z30 needs to come down in price and be the default full screen device.
    But I think BlackBerry needs to seek the two phone market as many business folks will cary two devices to separate work and personal. So those phones need to be small enough that you can have two on you, at least during the work week.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and CDM76 like this.
    07-21-14 06:44 PM
    Atleast ZINC did well today. I wish I knew why.

Posted via CB10
    Barrons article over the weekend

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-21-14 06:45 PM
    http://www.cmswire.com/cms/internet-...ers-025926.php

The IoT is currently focused on consumer goods. JC ranks number 6 in the top 10 influencers. Interestingly, the number 2 guy is a lawyer who says the focus will shift from consumer goods to...

wait for it...

Security.

BB10 4 ME
    07-21-14 06:54 PM
    Good. It is a nice phone. I'm using it now. But it should get a processor update at the very least before selling it again in volume. Or the Z30 needs to come down in price and be the default full screen device.
    But I think BlackBerry needs to seek the two phone market as many business folks will cary two devices to separate work and personal. So those phones need to be small enough that you can have two on you, at least during the work week.

Posted via CB10
    I'd really like BlackBerry to allow balance to work on non-BES controlled devices too.
    It should be able to be setup by an individual. This would include individual settings screens.
    Man! That would destroy both Apple and Android in functionality.
    Shanerredflag, CDM76 and zyben like this.
    07-21-14 06:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Definitely needs the features the Q10 (and Z30) had like USB OTG and MiraCast and a BIGGER battery! Heck, throw in the Paratek antenna as well. If the Passport is going to have an MHL connector instead of microHDMI, then that too.
    07-21-14 07:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Intel might be having trouble getting the Silicon down to 14nm. We seem to be getting to the max speeds for processors. Either that or the next phone is going to need a much bigger battery.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...mber_2015.html

BB10 4 ME
    07-21-14 07:07 PM
    Intel might be having trouble getting the Silicon down to 14nm. We seem to be getting to the max speeds for processors. Either that or the next phone is going to need a much bigger battery.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...mber_2015.html

BB10 4 ME
    Either that or move beyond silicone based chip sets and move forward with what POET Technology is working on.

Posted via CB10
    StormieTwo, jxnb, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    07-21-14 07:19 PM
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

BB10 4 ME
    07-21-14 07:27 PM
    Will come, in due time ... not sure it'll be aimed to promote Passport though ... (just a guess)
    Was thinking the same. Definitely.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    Mr BBRY, Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    07-21-14 07:33 PM
    i missed this one...

Updated: 64-Bit BlackBerry All Touch Manitoba Specifications -

the follow-up to the Z30?
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    07-21-14 08:48 PM
    07-21-14 09:04 PM
    Let's see how many replies can cb handle on this topic. Keep it up guys

By the way. Long live BlackBerry, long live john Chen and long live crackberry

#BBFactCheck
    07-21-14 09:34 PM
    Definitely needs the features the Q10 (and Z30) had like USB OTG and MiraCast and a BIGGER battery! Heck, throw in the Paratek antenna as well. If the Passport is going to have an MHL connector instead of microHDMI, then that too.
    Honestly I get pretty good battery life with my Z10. But I've only had it since 10.2. Now the Q10 had longer life. But it was a smaller screen so I don't think comparison is fair.
    I think the form factor, size and design of the Z10 more than the Z30. So I'd love them to cram stuff in. But really I'm not in the market for another BlackBerry for about another year. I don't think the Passport will be enticing to me. The Classic with some of the stuff you mention above might be though. A great antenna and the great BlackBerry sound will make it my preferred phone for talking (as compared to my iPhone which doesn't sound as good).

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that the idea behind Balance??? I'm hoping that once govs start distributing BB10 devices that word of mouth will help. But not if they pick up the Z10. I had one and moved on to Z30. A HUGE improvement.

I've said a thousand times and will say again that need to keep the same forms and names but just update them for a couple years. Need to build not only brand loyalty but device loyalty. And accessory manufacturers will be able to expand their portfolios for BlackBerry devices

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub and Im Mo Green like this.
    07-22-14 12:36 AM
    i missed this one...

Updated: 64-Bit BlackBerry All Touch Manitoba Specifications -

the follow-up to the Z30?
    Not a pinch, but a load of salt here
    cjcampbell, Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    07-22-14 05:42 AM
    Another positive read:
    http://www.bibeypost.com/blackberry-...-features-433/

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    07-22-14 05:58 AM
113,256 ... 27442745274627472748 ...