View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I don't see this as a threat at all.
    What could Apple possibly contribute to IBM in this deal? (iTunes and rounded corners )

The winner will be the one that partners with Microsoft. They own enterprise.

Web Publishing
    Desktop Publishing
    Office Automation
    Server Hosting
    Email/Meeting
    Databases/CRM
    Programming Tools

This is enterprise. One thing is certain, IBM wasn't the one approaching Apple in this deal.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 05:58 PM
    A separate Cisco/Microsoft partnership after Apple/IBM, they must anticipate building competition ??

Cisco aligns with Microsoft for cloud, datacenter sales | ZDNet
    07-15-14 06:00 PM
    Do we see 10.90 holding? Will add more tomorrow...I expect a morning dip and recovery to 10.90 close.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 06:17 PM
    So with this Apple and IBM partnership... does this lock an organization into being an Apple-only shop for phones and tablets? If I'm reading the ad-copy on IBM's MobileFirst correctly, it was designed in 2013 to have cross-platform MDM. Did it ever roll out like that?

Looking forward to seeing the details, for sure...
    The cynic in me read the announcement as two giants looking hard to "create shareholder value to prop up their SP" by making a win-win announcement with nothing much to back it. Like TheRock1975 said, I don't see what value Apple is bringing to the deal. To them it's another sales outlet, just as how Costco now has Apple kiosks in some stores.

BTW, IBM bought Fiberlink and their MaaS360 EMM product last year.

IBM is currently too focused on engineering their financials rather than putting out good products. I think Robert X. Cringely (www.cringely.com) has the current IBM pegged in his book "The Decline and Fall of IBM." I'm not expecting much to come from this announcement.
    07-15-14 06:30 PM
    Apple IBM . . . .

Corbu, jxnb, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    07-15-14 06:59 PM
    Apple-IBM partnership targets BlackBerry’s main customer base - The Globe and Mail

Apple Inc. has struck an unlikely alliance with International Business Machines Corp. to produce business-focused apps for iPhones and iPads, a threat to BlackBerry Ltd. as it tries to refocus and target government and corporate clients.

The deal between Apple and IBM will lead to more than 100 “enterprise mobility” apps for Apple’s enormously popular iPhones and iPads.

The U.S. companies, former rivals in the personal computer business, called the agreement a “landmark partnership” that will also see IBM sell Apple devices to its business clients – as well as leverage IBM’s strengths in cloud computing, big data and analytics.

The businesss arrangement between Apple and IBM could allow the two companies to carve away even more market share from BlackBerry’s former stronghold: security-conscious corporations and government departments that used to order BlackBerrys en masse from the now-struggling Waterloo, Ont.-based smartphone pioneer.

BlackBerry shares, which were up 0.7 per cent during the day, fell about 4 per cent in after-hours trading after the Apple-IBM announcement.

“I think it’s going to increase their challenges, because it takes out one of the competitive responses that BlackBerry had, which was ‘Apple does consumer stuff and doesn’t take the enterprise seriously,’ ” says Frank Gillett, an analyst with Forrester Research.

Apple “didn’t have the type of enterprise sales force and service support that businesses expect,” Mr. Gillett continued. “But if you have IBM doing your sales and your services – how can you top that?”

For years, large corporations that previously had BlackBerry-only work forces have turned to smartphones with iOS devices from Apple, as well as phones from Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and other manufacturers that run Google Inc.’s Android software. As BlackBerry delayed its BlackBerry 10 phones – and financial turmoil darkened the company’s reputation among big clients – even more companies began to implement “Bring your own device” (BYOD) policies that allowed employees to bring in iPhones or Android devices.

Apple chief executive officer Tim Cook said in statement on Tuesday that more than 98 per cent of Fortune 500 companies now use Apple devices.

“For the first time ever we’re putting IBM’s renowned big data analytics at iOS users’ fingertips, which opens up a large market opportunity for Apple,” Mr. Cook said. “This is a radical step for enterprise and something that only Apple and IBM can deliver.”

Under new CEO John Chen, BlackBerry has attempted to orchestrate a renewed focus on the company’s core, corporate customers, which formed the cornerstone of BlackBerry’s meteoric rise in the years before the iPhone was released in 2007. The company posted better-than-expected earnings in the first quarter of this year, partly on this strategy – which relied on first reassuring corporate customers that the company wasn’t about to go out of business as it outsources manufacturing and releases new smartphones. BlackBerry also targeted and won back some corporate customers who had left BlackBerry for third-party mobile device management firms, which allow companies to securely provide a mix of mobile phones to their employees.

BGC Financial LP analyst Colin Gillis says he wouldn’t sell BlackBerry shares on the news.

“Does this really mean more competition?” asked Mr. Gillis, who is based in New York. “Apple’s in the enterprise, anyway. Now there might be some more apps out there ... It shows that the space has potential, that other people want to enter it.”
    07-15-14 07:08 PM
    07-15-14 07:11 PM
    I was about to share the news about Apple and IBM. It sounds a bit strange. Why would a company like IBM partner with Apple, given the iOS security track record?

I think, this news proves that enterprise business is important, and Blackberry has the right technology, and people.

The news is also quite timely considering the overbought indicator on the chart.

I will share my updated chart soon.
    07-15-14 07:31 PM
    Why what's going on?

Posted via CB10

Nothing out the ordinary:

Fear and Greed.

)
    07-15-14 08:38 PM
    sidhuk!!!!

Come again? "...... look at the nice big fat cat type of double belly?"

What the heck is that? That formation is a stuffed flying cat formation, where do you see the "double belly"?

I feel sometimes like you don't take technical analysis seriously friend.
    We're good, so long as that fat cat doesn't get dead and then bounce.
    07-15-14 08:42 PM
    Apple /IBM partnership hardly even affects Bbry and the sp drop is just shorts trying to drop the sp

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    07-15-14 08:51 PM
    I don't see this as a threat at all.
    What could Apple possibly contribute to IBM in this deal? (iTunes and rounded corners )

The winner will be the one that partners with Microsoft. They own enterprise.

Web Publishing
    Desktop Publishing
    Office Automation
    Server Hosting
    Email/Meeting
    Databases/CRM
    Programming Tools

This is enterprise. One thing is certain, IBM wasn't the one approaching Apple in this deal.

Posted via CB10
    I have reluctantly been saying this for a long time now. I wished that my office suite worked better on my BlackBerry. With MS more involved, this could be great. Consider also BBM well Embedded into Windows OS, and perhaps office.
    BlackBerry gets some of their phones made by Nokia as part of the deal (wa-wa-woo). Microsoft gets security that it could never imagine. (QNX-Windows anyone?).
    MS learns how to integrate properly into car infotainment by licensing QNX connected to the new cloud direction that MS has started.

Ah, I could go on, but every Government PC still runs Windows, and many use BlackBerry devices and/or BES, so there is certainly room for a nice merger.
    07-15-14 09:01 PM
    Security with any American company will always be a risk for other countries and foreign companies, bottom line

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    07-15-14 09:12 PM
    Fresh new thread on BlackBerry Passport http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=946186

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    07-15-14 09:32 PM
    Interesting news today. Makes want to say "Too little too late." or perhaps "They're late to the party." or maybe even "DOA" . Haha!
    07-15-14 09:46 PM
    Apple announced a partnership with IBM to make enterprise focused ios apps. That got me a bit nervous as there are apparently enterprise and security features built into ios 8. Considering that ios 7 is now running on 90% of US iPhone, ios 8 should also be hugely popular.

This might be a big challenge to BlackBerry. Not that BlackBerry won't be able to do enterprise device management better. Sure it probably will. Apple has not done cloud stuff all that well. But this might still steal some deals and customers from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 10:17 PM
    Tomorrow will be buying opportunity

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-14 10:49 PM
    Apple announced a partnership with IBM to make enterprise focused ios apps. That got me a bit nervous as there are apparently enterprise and security features built into ios 8. Considering that ios 7 is now running on 90% of US iPhone, ios 8 should also be hugely popular.

This might be a big challenge to BlackBerry. Not that BlackBerry won't be able to do enterprise device management better. Sure it probably will. Apple has not done cloud stuff all that well. But this might still steal some deals and customers from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Thing is is that everything that IBM does well (or used to do well) is complicated, backend stuff. They don't do end user stuff very well. And what they used to do well, they probably downsized or outsourced or lost interest in by now.

The iPhone and iPad don't need IBM to sell into the enterprise. End users and the entire BYOD movement proves that. Building apps for the iPhone and iPad is already a developer's first choice for mobile platforms. So what is new with this announcement? The fact that IBM is going to become a reseller?

Apple doesn't have a device management system of their own, so any enterprise or security enhancement in iOS8 is probably by API. If so, the main concern would be who gets access to that API and when? BlackBerry can be hurt there if Apple plays favorites. But at least BlackBerry has limited ability to fight back if they want with QNX support of CarPlay if Apple doesn't play fair.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
    07-15-14 11:08 PM
    It's also easier said than done to get these two behemoths to work efficiently and effectively together. I have worked with IBM enterprise divisions before and it's not an easy or balanced relationship. Apple and IBM come from two very different approaches to business. Making that work will be very challenging indeed.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    07-15-14 11:19 PM
    The below response is taken from the article about the Apple IBM partnership

BlackBerry said Tuesday in an e-mailed statement the Apple-IBM partnership only underscores the ongoing need for secure end-to-end enterprise mobility solutions like those BlackBerry has delivered for years.

It added that BlackBerry is the clear leader in this market and enterprises should think twice about relying on any solution built on the foundation of a consumer technology that lacks the proven security benefits that BlackBerry has always delivered, the statement said.

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=b6a0-b59a

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kadakn01; 07-16-14 at 12:23 AM.
    07-16-14 12:12 AM
    The more that the market thinks about this the more they will like it. IBM about as deeply involved in enterprise IT as you can get. Apple is the leader in the user end of mobile hardware. Both have the resources to stick it out and make it work. If companies are, indeed, skittish about whether these tech startups or Blackberry are going to be in it for the long haul then you've got to think that IBM and Apple aren't going away anytime soon.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    07-16-14 12:45 AM
    I think this Apple/IBM thing may very well be a success in the US, but outside of America, forget it. The Snowden leaks, etc. have killed any chance of other governments or major corporations trusting Apple, Google, or any other major American companies. If their data is going to be moving through the US, they won't trust it.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 12:58 AM
    Apple IBM partnership does not change much, apple already in enterprises and IBM left consumers years ago and selling to enterprises so what is new? Not much other than IBM will create few apps for Apple and it will push apple products more. Samsung and Google needs to worry, not BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 02:03 AM
    I think this Apple/IBM thing may very well be a success in the US, but outside of America, forget it. The Snowden leaks, etc. have killed any chance of other governments or major corporations trusting Apple, Google, or any other major American companies. If their data is going to be moving through the US, they won't trust it.
    Posted via CB10
    I absolutely agree. Every iPhone user I know, believes, that his fingeprint is already stored by NSA . This perception will not help Apple to get stronger outsite the US.

It's a dangerous signal for Microsoft imho. Microsoft is still strong in enterprise, but I think the support is decreasing. With this partnership, Apple is going to be an even stronger competitor for Microsoft.
    jxnb, rarsen, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    07-16-14 03:13 AM
    Anyone know how good and/or advanced IBM's MDM tools are?
    IBM/Apple partnership. the other question is that how will this affect blackberry's competitions. such as this company?
    Security with any American company will always be a risk for other countries and foreign companies, bottom line

Posted via CB10
    Mister Chen, Mister Sims or whoever at BlackBerry please listen to my prayer : mary SAP or at least "share the same apartment". The alliance dance is soon to be closed, we need a non-mainly mobile focused (solid and non American) company. I fear there's no room left and still believe SAP is a beautiful bride (see why in the link)...

The Cisco/MSFT partnership is good for BlackBerry. Remember that
    1/ Cisco/MSFT/BBRY are in the IIC together (P.S: Samy is, too - Industrial Internet Consortium: Member List).
    2/ Cisco architecture routers use QNX for most.
    07-16-14 04:15 AM
113,256 ... 27292730273127322733 ...