View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Good night guys.

The poor old trolls and haters finally ran out of juice . . .

06-19-14 06:56 PM
    Indeed...if BlackBerry can execute and show consistent profitable progress over the next three quarters then we can expect some funds to come back in too (imo)...that's when we enter "the promised land", stable, reliable T/A pattern and all. .

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, cjcampbell, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    06-19-14 06:57 PM
    I just, after getting home from work, listened to the earnings call and the AGM. He really can speak, that Chen guy. So glad these kinds of things are available as "reruns" as as good as the commentary here is, there's always something lost in translation. With that said, thanks to all that contributed the quotes and slides from today's events!!
    06-19-14 06:58 PM
    So, for the record and for future reference, what was said about what we can look forward to in the next 6 months or so...

From today's EC transcript (thank you Seeking Alpha):

"Now I will spend a minute on looking forward for this quarter, we obviously will continue on our strong execution of the product roadmap. In Q2, we are planning a Blackberry Security Summit Event in July. Most likely in New York City, I don’t think we have secured a venue yet, but we would like to do it in New York City.

In September we will host an event to showcase our device portfolio for the FY ’15. We are launching a brand new device called Passport in September in London. Most of the information has been leaked to website. So you guys could go and check that out. This will follow by the Classic coming out in November.

Other major releases planned for FY ‘15 including the BBM for Windows in July. In September, we intended to release the BBM Meetings. In November we will release our BES12 and QNX cloud will coming in December. As you could see we have a very, very busy product rollout schedules, almost every month, but the month of August to celebrate everybody is going away everywhere.

In the past quarter we came up with a comprehensive monetization plan for BBM and value-added service. The focus is on enterprise in developing -- in developed markets and consumer in developing markets. We have an overall revenue target of $100 million in FY ’16 -- FY ’16, BlackBerry FY ’16.

The principal drivers, first, is the eBBM Suite for secure collaboration, including secure messaging, voice and data, more to say about that in the future. Second, is our mobile payment system, BBM Money is already launched and is available in Indonesia.

We are -- we also announced most recently our agreement with EnStream, which is a joint venture of Bell, Rogers and TELUS, the three major telcos in Canada. This venture supports mobile payments on behalf of Royal Bank of Canada, TD Bank Group, CIBC, Desjardins, is that, I cannot pronounce it correctly, okay, MasterCard and Visa.

On the BES front we will launch our new value-added services targeting enterprise. One of the first services will be Identity Management capability.

So to summarize, all areas of our business are looking -- making very good progress. Financial objectives are on track and strategies are on track, and bottom-line we feel good about where we are and what it will take to get BlackBerry back to cash flow breakeven at the end of FY ‘15 fiscal -- our fiscal year ‘15 and to profitability sometime in the fiscal year ‘16."
    So, to summarize... Feel free to add if I have forgotten anything

July
    "We also launched Z3 yesterday in Vietnam and a number of additional countries are coming in the next week, including India."
    Blackberry Security Summit Event (NYC)
    BBM for Windows

September
    FY 15 device portfolio + Passport (London)
    BBM Meetings

November
    Classic
    BES12

December
    QNX cloud

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-passport_classic_hero.jpg
    06-19-14 08:01 PM
    06-19-14 10:09 PM
    So, for the record and for future reference, what was said about what we can look forward to in the next 6 months or so...

From today's EC transcript (thank you Seeking Alpha):

So, to summarize... Feel free to add if I have forgotten anything
    I find the $100 million revenue target for BBM is quite low imo. If they do end up getting 100 million active users after the windows phone launch, that's only $1 average revenue per user per year! With Channel ads and stickers I'm sure they can do better than that.

I think Chen likes to set goals and then SMASH them!
    06-19-14 10:41 PM
    There's another BB10 in the house!

Just ordered the wife a sexy white Q10. BTW, the $100 shopblackberry coupon is still active. Q10 for $299 + shipping($11) and taxes.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-q10.png
    06-19-14 10:49 PM
    Suppose BBM revenue us 100M, what would be the total market value just for this piece ? Anyone can explain?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 11:25 PM
    Suppose BBM revenue us 100M, what would be the total market value just for this piece ? Anyone can explain?

Posted via CB10
    2bill

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    06-19-14 11:27 PM
    Is there any indication that the Passport will be available unlocked on th BlackBerry website when it's launched in September?
    I am pretty sure my carrier won't carry it.
    Don't want to buy it from another carrier and get it unlocked.
    06-19-14 11:43 PM
    I just, after getting home from work, listened to the earnings call and the AGM. He really can speak, that Chen guy. So glad these kinds of things are available as "reruns" as as good as the commentary here is, there's always something lost in translation. With that said, thanks to all that contributed the quotes and slides from today's events!!
    LOL... Lost in translation??

No, see, it's easy. Just take every word that J. Chen says that he pronounces with an 'er', and replace with an 'a'.
    I.e. Jakart-er, Malaysi-er, become Jakart-a, and Malaysi-a respectively.

There are other translation tips, but that is all I am sharing for now.
    06-20-14 12:38 AM
    There's another BB10 in the house!

Just ordered the wife a sexy white Q10. BTW, the $100 shopblackberry coupon is still active. Q10 for $299 + shipping($11) and taxes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q10.PNG 
Views:	1144 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	279095
    What is the coupon ?

Sent using my ? Z30
    06-20-14 05:29 AM
    FTR, the WSJ's first of two articles from yesterday

HEARD ON THE STREET: Hard Questions Remain on BlackBerry's Turnaround - WSJ

Hard Questions Remain on BlackBerry's Turnaround

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mi-cd555_berryh_g_20140619173009.jpg
    BlackBerry may no longer be doomed, but what it will look like in a year remains up in the air.

BlackBerry wants to shed its dependence on selling smartphones in favor of software and services mainly for enterprises to manage their fleets of mobile devices. Thursday's quarterly results offered several encouraging signs for this effort. Adjusting for one-time items, BlackBerry's loss of 11 cents a share was less than half what analysts expected. And service revenue came in 9% above Wall Street's estimates. The stock duly jumped on Thursday.

But that owed at least something to the high proportion of BlackBerry's shares sold short. And one quarter does not a turnaround make. BlackBerry says it is at the "tail end" of restructuring efforts that have effectively been under way for more than two years. It must now demonstrate that it can be a profitable services company.

Yet hardware will remain part of the picture, which should give even investors pause. On Thursday's conference call, Chief Executive John Chen said BlackBerry plans to hold an event in September to showcase devices planned for the current fiscal year. These will include the Passport and the Classic, both of which are expected to feature the physical keypad that is popular with BlackBerry loyalists.

BlackBerry struck a deal with Foxconn Technology late last year, making the Chinese manufacturer a partner in its handset business. But Mr. Chen noted Thursday that the deal doesn't shield BlackBerry from the need to invest in device launches: "So it will still cost us money, and we have to spend it judiciously."

As for the software-and-services end of the business, the full picture has yet to emerge. The firm launched the EZ Pass program in March to switch over business customers to its BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 offering for free, including new customers coming from rivals. BlackBerry said Thursday more than 2,600 customers have registered under the program. But they won't begin paying support fees until January 2016, so it will take time to gauge whether the effort has paid off.

BlackBerry trades at only about 1.3 times forward sales. That might look cheap given the potential for the turnaround to gain traction. Given the competitive pressure that continues to squeeze BlackBerry, though, more evidence is needed before buying in.
    06-20-14 06:29 AM
    Folks, let's keep on topic (yeah I know, that gets very vague in here).

Discussion of member actions by moderators is between the member and mod only. Period
    06-20-14 06:30 AM
    The interesting bit to me that shows he is different from Heins is when he talked about the Z3 - Heins would have been really vague and tried to over-hype it where as Chen was very clear about its performance.
    cjcampbell and Mr BBRY like this.
    06-20-14 06:34 AM
    Short sellers opting to get out after yesterday still faces margin calls right? so they might be forced out or do yall think since they've been around a $1 jump wont mean much to them? I don't expect all shorts to jump I would be happy to see it at a reasonable level
    06-20-14 06:35 AM
    And the second.

BlackBerry Posts Surprise Small Profit, but Revenue Falls - WSJ

BlackBerry Posts Surprise Small Profit, but Revenue Falls

Smartphone Maker Lowers Expenses, but Sales Remain Under Pressure

BlackBerry Ltd.'s plans to introduce new smartphones and updated mobile-management software this year remain on track, as Chief Executive John Chen's push to reduce expenses helped the Canadian company eke out a surprise profit.

BlackBerry gave early indications that its effort to reignite revenue by selling new smartphones, software and security services to corporate and business customers is working even as it continues to slash costs.

The company is "at the tail end of its cost-cutting" effort and is now working to boost revenue, Mr. Chen said on the company's earnings call. In the fiscal first quarter, ended May 31, the company reduced its adjusted operating expenses by 57% from a year ago and 13% from the fourth quarter. That helped the company generate an unexpected profit of $23 million for the period, well ahead of the $423 million loss it posted three months ago and its year-earlier loss of $84 million.

The Waterloo, Ontario company said sales of its newly launched low-cost Z3 smartphone are exceeding expectations, and said its plans to launch other devices later this year remain on schedule. Meanwhile, some enterprise customers are showing renewed interest in the BlackBerry technology that companies use to manage or oversee phones issued to employees, Mr. Chen said.

Still, the CEO remained cautious, as the company's revenue remains under pressure and isn't expected to start growing for months. "There's still a lot of work to do," Mr. Chen told shareholders at the company's annual meeting in Waterloo. "Will we get back to the iconic state [BlackBerry once held]? I don't know, but we will try."

BlackBerry's shares gained 9.7% to $9.09 in New York Stock Exchange Trading on Thursday.

"We were expecting incremental baby steps and that's what the results reflect," Ramon Llamas, an analyst at research firm International Data Corp., said. "But it's still going to be a long slog" for the turnaround plan to succeed, he said.

Blackberry's history of falling short of expectations helped trigger a management shake-up and led to Mr. Chen's appointment in November. The company had faced mounting losses since its 2013 bet on a series of new phones and an operating system called BB10 fell flat against competition from Apple Inc., AAPL -0.11% Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -1.66% and other device makers.

To stem this tide, Mr. Chen has focused on both cost-cutting and finding new sources of revenue to turn around the company. But that remains a challenge as the company's first-quarter revenue fell 69% to $966 million.

The company said its cash position improved, rising to $3.1 billion at the end of the quarter from $2.7 billion three months earlier, helped by proceeds from previously announced real-estate sales and a tax refund. Mr. Chen said the company continues to target break-even cash flow by the end of its current fiscal year.

BlackBerry said its first-quarter revenue breakdown was about 39% for hardware, 54% for services and 7% for software and other sources.

In the first quarter, BlackBerry said it sold about 2.6 million phones, down from the 3.4 million it sold in the prior period. On its conference call, BlackBerry said 65% of the devices sold in the latest quarter were BB10 phones, while the rest were legacy BB7 devices.

Mr. Chen is betting on the introduction of new devices aimed at emerging markets where BlackBerry remains a relatively popular brand, and on its traditional government and corporate customer base, to regain market share.

In May, BlackBerry launched the Z3 in Indonesia, a device priced under $200 and targeted at emerging markets. This week, BlackBerry launched the phone in Vietnam and plans to do the same in the coming weeks India.

Ultimately the Z3 will be available in a total of nine countries. The company originally projected it would sell a total of a million devices over their life, but Mr. Chen now said he thinks sales will exceed that level based on their performance in Indonesia. He declined to provide initial sales figures.

BlackBerry also plans to launch a new phone, called Passport, in London this September. The new phone, which has a square face, is larger than the company's current offerings. "I call it either the world's smallest phablet or the world's biggest phone," Mr. Chen said as he displayed it for shareholders.

BlackBerry is also catering to fans of its keyboard and email services with the launch of the Classic, which is expected toward the end of this year.

Meanwhile, in a bid to regain enterprise customers, BlackBerry is upgrading its device-management software technology, which handles security and software for smartphones that a company issues to or oversees for its employees. In this field, the company competes against major players such as International Business Machines Corp. and Citrix Systems Inc.

The company plans to introduce the latest version of its device-management software near the end of this year and is now offering enticements that make it easier for customers to switch to BlackBerry's current offering and then upgrade to the new version when it is released.

Deepak Kaushal, analyst at GMP Securities Ltd., said the results show that BlackBerry's management team has stemmed the company's bleeding – for now. "What they've earned is a pause before they launch new hardware and services later this year, but the challenge remains tough," said Mr. Kaushal. "I think the real question mark is their subscribers. If they can't create subscribers, they've got more restructuring to go through."
    BTW, I believe there's a slight mistake in here.
    "On its conference call, BlackBerry said 65% of the devices sold in the latest quarter were BB10 phones, while the rest were legacy BB7 devices."
    The 65-35 should refer to the revenue mix, not the % of devices sold.
    06-20-14 06:36 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-crackberry-image-4-.jpg

I find this a great example of how we sometimes lose sight of BlackBerry's actual 'roots' when it comes to revenue.

Posted via CB10

Edit: this is not to say that plans for the future are not positive.
    06-20-14 06:48 AM
    Hmm:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140620_055426.png

Eazzy Peazzy
    06-20-14 06:54 AM
    JC interview on BNN, from yesterday:

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=384495

Edit:
    Main takeaways
    - BBM integral part of the business / Wouldn't sell for $2B
    - No turnaround for a quick sale
    - Done (almost) with layoffs
    Last edited by Corbu; 06-20-14 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added takeaways
    06-20-14 06:58 AM
    The push continues in India:
    http://www.bbin.in/2014/06/blackberr...lackberry-z30/

Eazzy Peazzy
    06-20-14 06:59 AM
    Hmm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140620_055426.png 
Views:	735 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	279138

Eazzy Peazzy
    I think that was the plan all along? For BlackBerry to keep making the high end devices themselves?

The Passport looks like a Foxconn phone, though - square edges, etc. I do wish they'd sand those edges round, but it's a unique device. I won't get one, but maybe it will interest a decent number of people.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-20-14 07:04 AM
    And...this guy's take on Protect Ion:
    http://www.minyanville.com/special-f.../2014/id/55346

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, sidhuk, zyben and 1 others like this.
    06-20-14 07:04 AM
    What is the coupon ?

Sent using my ? Z30
    SAVE100BB148 (Canada)
    SAVE100BB142 (US)

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:39 AM
    So much for an ugly device?
    http://n4bb.com/poll-blackberry-clas...erry-passport/

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Shanerredflag, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    06-20-14 07:40 AM
113,250 ... 26772678267926802681 ...