Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Marketwired BlackBerry
    3 minutes ago

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jun 18, 2014) - BlackBerry Limited (BBRY)(BB.TO), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that the Amazon Appstore will be available with the launch of the BlackBerry 10.3 operating system this fall, greatly expanding access to thousands of the most popular apps and games to BlackBerry customers.

With more than 240,000 Android applications in the Amazon Appstore worldwide, BlackBerry 10 device customers will gain access to popular apps such as Groupon, Netflix, Pinterest, Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft.

The strategic move also enables BlackBerry to align its developer program with its renewed focus on delivering the most secure, end-to-end mobile enterprise solutions, by placing more emphasis on the development of vital enterprise and productivity applications.

"Making the Amazon Appstore available on BlackBerry 10 devices will help BlackBerry continue to meet two essential needs: greater app availability for our smartphone users and enhanced productivity solutions for enterprises," said BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen. "We've listened to our customers and have taken this important step to deliver on their needs, while executing on our strategy."

BlackBerry and Amazon will be working with the BlackBerry application developer community to help them migrate their apps to the Amazon Appstore in preparation for the 10.3 launch, where they will benefit from the store's powerful promotional tools that enable maximum discoverability and profitability. This will include Appstore Developer Select, which provides enhanced merchandising, as well as Amazon Coins incentives, the Developer Promotions Console, which enables real-time pricing adjustments and specials, and the popular Free App of the Day program.

BlackBerry will unveil a new enterprise application partner program for corporate developers, ISVs and systems integrators, designed to expand the number of enterprise applications that leverage BlackBerry 10 to deliver business-class functionality and enhance users' productivity, communication and collaboration.

Link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...120000843.html
    slipstream89, Corbu, jxnb and 11 others like this.
    06-18-14 07:04 AM
    Looking like Chen is setting us up for a big pop at earning will be nice to see double digits again
    06-18-14 07:11 AM
    Could be huge. Much bigger than just an app store. It explains layoffs on app team rumors, frees of R&D Future expenses, lays the groundwork for future Google services support, and doubles the app reach overnight (officially). Let's see if the market gives it some love going into ER
    06-18-14 07:12 AM
    Up over 6% so far in the PM
    06-18-14 07:13 AM
    Pre-market: 8.59 +0.54 (6.71%)
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-18-14 07:15 AM
    Bbry have confirmed the story

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-18-14 07:16 AM
    I wonder what this means for BlackBerry World. Does this mean BlackBerry are encouraging people to just buy Android apps from Amazon, or are we looking at a situation in which BlackBerry 10 apps are available on Amazon as well? Or something else? The part about helping developers get their apps into the Amazon store is a bit confusing. Obviously, they don't need help migrating apps to Amazon if they already have an Android version...I'm curious to see how this will work.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    Resistance at 8.50
    Meanwhile, on the other side of the world...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140618_150630.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140618_141353.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140618_143320.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140618_143058.jpg

Z3 launched earlier today, in Vietnam:
    Nội dung buổi họp báo ra mắt BlackBerry Z3 tại TP.HCM | Diễn đàn Cộng đồng BlackBerry Việt Nam

BlackBerry Z3 will be available on the market in the first week of July. Customers can pre-order starting tomorrow morning.

Price: 4,590,000 VND = 216 USD
    06-18-14 07:20 AM
    BlackBerry and Amazon will be working with the BlackBerry application developer community to help them migrate their apps to the Amazon Appstore in preparation for the 10.3 launch, where they will benefit from the store's powerful promotional tools that enable maximum discoverability and profitability.
    I think getting Amazon App store is great but this bit caught my attention. Does this mean that Blackberry World will start shrinking instead of growing?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 07:21 AM
    I think getting Amazon App store is great but this bit caught my attention. Does this mean that Blackberry World will start shrinking instead of growing?

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like this is the case
    06-18-14 07:23 AM
    I see on Twitter they are closing the video and music bits nothing so far on apps

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    06-18-14 07:24 AM
    I wonder what this means for BlackBerry World. Does this mean BlackBerry are encouraging people to just buy Android apps from Amazon, or are we looking at a situation in which BlackBerry 10 apps are available on Amazon as well? Or something else? The part about helping developers get their apps into the Amazon store is a bit confusing. Obviously, they don't need help migrating apps to Amazon if they already have an Android version...I'm curious to see how this will work.

I think that's in reference to some Android apps that aren't on the Amazon store but are in BB World. They may be few in numbers.
    06-18-14 07:31 AM
    I think this could just be the beginning of a partnership between Amazon and Blackberry. Just imagine would amazon could do for blackberry
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    06-18-14 07:34 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Who knows. Maybe plan B is actually to make an Android phone. All that takes is to release a phone with ridiculous specs and it will sell like pancakes.

Anyway, I'm mostly pissed because BBRY is up on the news which means my idea of buying some call options today is not going to pan out. Forgot to do it yesterday.
    06-18-14 07:35 AM
    Who knows. Maybe plan B is actually to make an Android phone. All that takes is to release a phone with ridiculous specs and it will sell like pancakes.

Anyway, I'm mostly pissed because BBRY is up on the news which means my idea of buying some call options today is not going to pan out. Forgot to do it yesterday.
    Amazon is releasing a new phone, which I had assumed that it would be an Android phone. Is that still a safe assumption or could BlackBerry be involved?
    06-18-14 07:44 AM
    Sounds like this is the case
    That would suck big time..

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 07:45 AM

Yup you are definitely late on that..

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 07:46 AM
    That would suck big time..

Posted via CB10
    I think that getting developers to make consumer Apps for BB10 is an uphill battle, so tapping into Amazon is a great idea.
    I bet that fewer people would buy Apple computers if they couldn't use Microsoft Office.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    06-18-14 07:51 AM

It propably means, that I will finally stop making native apps. I just can't compete with this huge number free, ad driven Android apps. Right now only 2-4 percent of my native BB10 (Cascades, B4BB, 5 stars..) apps got an upgrade via in app-payment. That would be a good number on Android, but not on the small native BB10 platform - no. I already compete with the Android apps flooding BlackBerry World, then Snap and now Amazon. Nobody is willing to pay for a native app, when 10 similar free Android apps are waiting at Amazon. I think it's game over for native development, at least for me.
    Good to know it finally. I was just starting to develop a new app. 2 years of learning Cascades wasted.
    06-18-14 07:51 AM
    I think this could just be the beginning of a partnership between Amazon and Blackberry. Just imagine would amazon could do for blackberry
    You mean...like...acquire it?
    jake simmons3 likes this.
    06-18-14 07:52 AM
    I can't help but respond to this No, The Phablet Will Not Save BlackBerry. but but Amazon App Store will!
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    06-18-14 07:56 AM
    I think that's in reference to some Android apps that aren't on the Amazon store but are in BB World. They may be few in numbers.
    Ah, right. I hope it's something of that sort. I'm also hoping and assuming that the next, more powerful line of phones will be able to run Android apps at full speed, with no loss of functionality compared to how they run on an S5 or something.

06-18-14 07:57 AM
    It propably means, that I will finally stop making native apps. I just can't compete with this huge number free, ad driven Android apps. Right now only 2-4 percent of my native BB10 (Cascades, B4BB, 5 stars..) apps got an upgrade via in app-payment. That would be a good number on Android, but not on the small native BB10 platform - no. I already compete with the Android apps flooding BlackBerry World, then Snap and now Amazon. Nobody is willing to pay for a native app, when 10 similar free Android apps are waiting at Amazon. I think it's game over for native development, at least for me.
    Good to know it finally. I was just starting to develop a new app. 2 years of learning Cascades wasted.
    Man.. I feel you but if your app is good enough then you don't worry about competition. People will buy it. Most folks using BlackBerry want quality rather then quantity that's why in a market flooded with Android we chose BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    snejpa, bungaboy, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    06-18-14 07:57 AM
    this only makes sense for them to integrate with Amazon for the apps (I actually called this ). Fingers crossed they perfect the Runtime in 10.3 (currently a tad less than perfect). Symbiotically, I wonder what Amazon will do in return?
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-18-14 08:04 AM
113,251 ... 26602661266226632664 ...