View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I would think the terms of the license for the underlying tech from Swiftkey wouldn't allow it anyway - I doubt it allows redistribution in any form.
    06-11-14 09:58 AM
    I dont think they should offer there keyboard as an app. It is one of the major selling points for bb10 i think the money lost due to decreased handset sales would far out weigh the money made from selling a dollar or 2 app to even 100 million users

Apple has done a great job of keeping there features apple specific. You want to make it as hard as possible on the user to switch from your platform not the easiest. We need unique features to draw in new users and keep the existing ones.

The only way that idea would make financial sense for blackberry is if they were going to key log there keyboard app and selling that information to a 3rd party and well i think we can all agree that wont happen
    I agree with both views, but leaning on the open side. Market seems to value user numbers these days and I like the idea of sharing things rather than restricting (although I see merits on both sides). If people love BB-keyboard on their iPhones, maybe they will look at the BB phones as well?
    morganplus8, zyben, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    06-11-14 10:01 AM
    I dont think they should offer there keyboard as an app. It is one of the major selling points for bb10 i think the money lost due to decreased handset sales would far out weigh the money made from selling a dollar or 2 app to even 100 million users

Apple has done a great job of keeping there features apple specific. You want to make it as hard as possible on the user to switch from your platform not the easiest. We need unique features to draw in new users and keep the existing ones.
    I respectfully disagree with you here, Apple is coming whether BlackBerry likes it or not. They proved that with iOS 8.0 last week. They are looking at everyone else and copying their stuff and for us and BlackBerry, who cares, BB is so far ahead of them that copying is flattering and nothing more. Apple has long since lost the ability to innovate, as long as they continue to support the "return button" on their tablets and phones, they will always be thought of as supporting 2009 technology. I'm so ticked off with myself for buying their latest and greatest iPad, what a piece of junk that OS is. They can't save it with iOS 10.9 +, nothing will improve that OS until they get rid of that button. Of course I wouldn't think this way if I hadn't tried a BB 10.3 device, but once you hold a BB 10 in your hand and see how fast and efficient it is, you will hate Apple products. Man I'm ticked off with that thing, I should have bought a top line Samsung tablet. I digress though.

Getting back to the key board, Apple will find a way to add some features while continuing to rely on the fact the Apple users haven't tried anything better so they just plain don't know that Apple has fallen way behind. BlackBerry can sell the key board while dropping BB 10.3, .4 , .5, .6 and so on while Apple is trying to launch their annual iOS fix.
    06-11-14 10:04 AM

The only way that idea would make financial sense for blackberry is if they were going to key log there keyboard app and selling that information to a 3rd party and well i think we can all agree that wont happen
    The same argument could have been made about BBM. I remember people saying "why open BBM to other platforms, BB will lose one of its major selling points". I'm of the camp that handset sales are not in BB's future, therefore they need to focus more on software and offer that software to everyone.
    06-11-14 10:06 AM
    The same argument could have been made about BBM. I remember people saying "why open BBM to other platforms, BB will lose one of its major selling points". I'm of the camp that handset sales are not in BB's future, therefore they need to focus more on software and offer that software to everyone.
    True. Plus, if they don't offer their keyboard, it's only a matter of time that another player would start selling similar keyboard. Swiftkey is already very close to BB 10 soft-keyboard.

By the way, I created a thread to request Mr. Chen not to over-price their devices: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...cessor-937971/
    06-11-14 10:09 AM
    I agree with both views, but leaning on the open side. Market seems to value user numbers these days and I like the idea of sharing things rather than restricting (although I see merits on both sides). If people love BB-keyboard on their iPhones, maybe they will look at the BB phones as well?
    That's my whole point, we have heard a million times that BlackBerry doesn't sell hardware any more, that they are going under, are under etc., but this suggests that no one has tried their key board. It is difficult to accept that "if" everyone has tried, or is familiar with their key board and still won't buy the phone, then what value is there in keeping it proprietary? They might as well shock the world and sell a key board software solution that everyone wants, pocket the money while working on the next great thing, and, as you suggest, bring more consumers into the store to look at those BB phones again. I, as an Apple devotee, would buy the key board software and wonder what else am I missing from Apple, their maps suck, their key board sucks, their iMessage sucks, why do I support Apple? I like the marketing aspect of this idea.
    plasmid_boy, zyben, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    06-11-14 10:13 AM
    In case any one not getting any news feeds from Feedly.
    Feedly under DoS attact
    Feedly reports that its cloud-based service is suffering from a distributed denial-of-service attack.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    06-11-14 10:27 AM
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2263...?uprof=45&dr=1

Nice article. I liked that they mention that BB10 runs android apps now, but the article seemed to be unknowingly (or maybe knowingly) focused on the handset business and didn't mention anything about BES adoption, BBM sticker sales, QNX revenues/partnerships, or project Ion developments. Perhaps it's the handset reports that investors will be more interested in for the moment. I think media misses the bigger picture if they continually focus on just the one business unit though.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    Well, that's what BlackBerry has been, and been seen as for a very long time: a mobile phone maker. That tends to get downplayed in here nowadays, but if you go back and look at BlackBerry's own financial reports, etc. (you can find them online fairly easily), you'll see very quickly that BlackBerry themselves forefronted devices, not enterprise.

I think it's actually many of us who have glossed over something, and not necessarily the media when it comes to this issue.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    06-11-14 10:34 AM
    Ya, but most people go in intending to buy a windows laptop or apple product.

Posted via CB10
    There's no such thing as a Windows laptop, is there?

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    06-11-14 10:36 AM
    06-11-14 10:59 AM
    the last i heard from JC in an interview, "i am at the tail end of the Job cuts and pretty much done". 2000 more jobs cut would be their 30% of the current work force and is not "tail end".

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...610-zs2bm.html

"Just a heads up…

We’ve heard whispers and pretty much have confirmed there is another 2,000 job cut to be in effect. The entire Developer Relations team (including Marty Mallick) will be let go, and parts of engineering.

Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?

Whatever the case, it’s definitely unfortunate, but may mean a more streamlined company and an achieved end game for Chen.

Sad to see friends and acquaintances leave the company we all love. Hopefully, it only make for a brighter future for the company as a whole."
    06-11-14 11:14 AM
    the last i heard from JC in an interview, "i am at the tail end of the Job cuts and pretty much done". 2000 more jobs cut would be their 30% of the current work force and is not "tail end".

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...610-zs2bm.html

"Just a heads up�

We�ve heard whispers and pretty much have confirmed there is another 2,000 job cut to be in effect. The entire Developer Relations team (including Marty Mallick) will be let go, and parts of engineering.

Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?

Whatever the case, it�s definitely unfortunate, but may mean a more streamlined company and an achieved end game for Chen.

Sad to see friends and acquaintances leave the company we all love. Hopefully, it only make for a brighter future for the company as a whole."
    2000 person developer relation team?? Seems unusually high.

Honestly, 25 would do.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-11-14 12:19 PM

Honestly, 25 would do.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the the case then yeah, to me it is the best news if true.
    Sad for the job losses in general though

06-11-14 12:29 PM
    Sorry for the OT again but this really socks. My most used app isn't working.
    http://crackberry.com/feedly-rss-ser...ng-ddos-attack

06-11-14 12:32 PM
    I seriously doubt that a software keyboard can be all that special.

If the dev relations team is being laid off then that means that Blackberry has given up on native BB10 3rd party apps and may just be going full Android.
    06-11-14 12:35 PM

Honestly, 25 would do.

Posted via CB10
    Read again. I read 2,000 total, including the entire developer relations team and some parts of engineering.

The developer flight boards were suspended when Chen first took over. If they only go on to June, hopefully they will update again shortly. (and add direct PRINTING to printers on the network without the need for software installed on a server or computer).
    theRock1975 likes this.
    06-11-14 12:39 PM
    Right alongside the rumors of layoffs, there have been reports of ZTE and Samsung hiring ex employees.

http://www.opptrends.com/2014/06/key...-join-samsung/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/china...390450?tesla=y

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    06-11-14 01:15 PM
    Well, I'm sure there will be some truth to it if Lucas from N4BB is claiming he has heard "whispers" and "pretty much has confirmation" for these whispers. Chris Umiastowski already claimed that BlackBerry's headcount after the much-reported restructuring is still on the high side when you compare it to Facebook for example. On the one hand you can't really make a claim like he did, since Facebook and BlackBerry are very different companies with very different offerings. On the other hand, BlackBerry's not generating the much-needed revenues with all their offerings. I hope they did a deal with Amazon.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-11-14 01:42 PM
    06-11-14 01:45 PM
    Fast quote from BlackBerry to consider making a phablet to drive growth | CrackBerry.com, sorry if posted already (in a hurry). adds to the "expectations" above.

In an interview with Indonesia's Jakarta Post, Chen announced that BlackBerry aims to sell 1 million units of the BlackBerry Z3, a $200 handset that is available for sale exclusively in Indonesia (for now).
    and ... a phablet ?
    #yummy #meWant.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-11-14 01:58 PM
    That's a very good idea, I never thought of them offering their keyboard to other platforms. It is a killer piece of engineering and I could imagine a very large number of iPhone users as well as Android junkies downloading that solution. BlackBerry has one thing that none of the competition has, that is the ability to turn things over/around fast. Apple takes forever to launch an iOS update and often it is an extension of their 2009 technology. BlackBerry can make a ton of money bringing Apple into the present.
    You used BlackBerry in the same sentence with the ability to turn things around fast.....

Thanks I needed a good laugh....!
    06-11-14 02:39 PM
    Sorry for the OT again but this really socks. My most used app isn't working.
    Feedly RSS service crippled by ongoing DDoS attack | CrackBerry.com

Well, well. And here I thought Feedly was a fried chicken joint?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ep-706239671.jpg
    sidhuk and bigbadben10 like this.
    06-11-14 02:48 PM
    More positive Z30 reviews.

Big BlackBerry Z30 GSM Smartphone Delivers Eye-Catching Features

Big BlackBerry Z30 GSM Smartphone Delivers Eye-Catching Features
    bigbadben10, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    06-11-14 04:26 PM
    And more positive articles!!!

Excerpt.....

We knew that to adhere to the strict regulations set forth for the industry, we had to invest in an Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution as well as devices that would efficiently manage and secure our data. After weighing the options, we chose BlackBerry smartphones. Deploying BlackBerry devices with secure enterprise apps, such as Citrix or Docs To Go, has tremendously reshaped how our field workers do their jobs. Through these and other applications, our employees can quickly pull information and review case notes from their devices, which proves to be easier and more secure than carrying around hard copies or laptops.� A mobile solution also allows us to achieve a higher level of immediacy and ease of productivity than the team has been accustomed.
    Handling this type of information digitally sounds risky and expensive but it doesn?t have to be. Keep the following in mind when looking to make your workforce more mobile.
    1. Level of Security�? HIPAA standards are high, but so are patient and client expectations. It is important that the solution has a granular level of encryption that ensures all confidential data and patient information is secure and is compliant.
    2. Remote Control�? When going mobile there is risk of a device getting into the wrong hands. Device controlling and disabling from home base is essential to stop private information from getting into the wrong hands.
    3. Simplicity�? Change is hard and it is even harder if the technology is not easy for employees to use and navigate. Ensure that the solution will work for and can be easily implemented by all employees affected.
    4. Future Capabilities�? Health and human services are on a digital journey and a solution today needs to be able to handle the next phase or change. For example, we?re exploring the all mobile capabilities and finding that video chat features could become an integral part of our communication methods for company-wide meetings, eventually replacing our current application. We envision using this feature to help staff connect to their teams when they are in the field. We are also testing these devices to capture documents that we would otherwise have obtain and then return to our customers, including birth certificates and other sensitive documentation.

Full article....

http://healthitsecurity.com/2014/06/...hr-transition/
    06-11-14 04:33 PM
    Warning:
    You may want to bring a large salt shaker along for this one!

But heck, why not relay the "information" that is out there, FWIW! And it is nice to be able to dream once in a while...

So, from the German BB10QNX.de site, this link:
    OS-Update und Manitoba: Was kommt nun als n�chstes? | BB10QNX.de

And since I am a nice guy, I have loosely translated it for you fine folks with the help of Google Translate and the little German that I can still remember...

OS UPDATE AND MANITOBA: WHAT COMES NEXT?

June 11, 2014 BE - BLACKBERRY'S ELEVEN

We reported on May 14, 2014, that OS10.3.0 will be rolled out with the Windermere. Then the Blackberry Classic will be rolled out with OS10.3.1.

Now we have received the following information:

The plan was OS10.2.2 for all existing devices
    OS10.3.0 for Windermere and Manitoba
    Afterwards the Classic OS10.3.1 for all devices; the PlayBook no specific information
    But we have received information about Manitoba:

Quad-Core
    8GB RAM
    (It follows that the CPU has to be a 64-bit ARM chip)
    5 inch Full Touch
    3300 MA Battery
    OS10.3.1

The OS version of Manitoba has become OS10.3.1. Internally, OS10.3.1 is probably partly OS10.3.1 used.

OS10.3 was not intended for the "old" OS10 devices Q5 / Q10 / Z10 / Z30, rather OS10.2.2, with OS10.3 on these devices even more adjustments are probably necessary. There are therefore many bugs.

The Manitoba’s 8GB RAM is a high number. However, since the OS can be used as a desktop OS, the 8GB RAM could therefore be justified.
    Furthermore, QNX Neutrino has POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface), ie Programming Interface for UNIX (interface between application software and OS) and it can run many Linux apps.
    Again, FWIW!

Cheers,
    06-11-14 04:59 PM
113,252 ... 26482649265026512652 ...