View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Interesting article about 2 MDM ipo's compared to BlackBerry. Worth the quick read

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ook-cheap.aspx
    06-10-14 02:16 AM
    Interesting article about 2 MDM ipo's compared to BlackBerry. Worth the quick read

Why BlackBerry Limited Shares Are About to Look Cheap (BBRY)
    "MDM software firm MobileIron has filed to sell about 11.1 million new shares at a midpoint offering range of about $9 per share, according to the company's recent S1 filling. If successful, the company will raise about $100 million, giving it a market cap of about $670 million."

Huh?
    market cap is shares * stock price. Where is this $670 coming from?
    06-10-14 06:52 AM
    06-10-14 07:15 AM
    "MDM software firm MobileIron has filed to sell about 11.1 million new shares at a midpoint offering range of about $9 per share, according to the company's recent S1 filling. If successful, the company will raise about $100 million, giving it a market cap of about $670 million."

Huh?
    market cap is shares * stock price. Where is this $670 coming from?
    They probably have a estimated market cap of $570. So if they raise 100 mill, it adds up to $670.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    06-10-14 07:15 AM
    Google just screwed up Play Store perms; apps can now auto update adding perms like "sms in bkg" without confirmation

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...app_means_for/

Edit: ... the ability to format your file system or to make calls and send SMS without you noticing. Crazy!

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    06-10-14 07:30 AM
    They probably have a estimated market cap of $570. So if they raise 100 mill, it adds up to $670.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    Take the $ 670 MM and divide this by $ 9.00/shr and that is the number of shares issued by the company. Of those shares, they are expecting to sell 11.1 MM shares soon. The balance of those shares, 63.4 MM, are held by the founders of the company and/or the retained ownership of the new entity itself or various other investors to date. A company typically issues enough shares to cover all of the original founders who invested in the company at a time when equity was defined as a % ownership in the company itself. Check out the number of shares that the founder of Facebook got when he took his private company public, on the first trading day, he had a defined market value for the first time because he was given a benchmark valuation to measure his personal net worth for the first time.

The biggest misnomer on this BlackBerry thread was the "perceived" inability of the BB founders to buy BBRY, Mikey had 26 MM shares in BBRY at the time he wanted to purchase the company but many assumed that those shares were his only asset. Of course, over the years, he has sold a ton of shares and invested in other assets along the way but those assets could not be valued in the same way as his BBRY holdings so the media and many here felt he wasn't able to make such a large purchase. When you think of 20-years of stock options at $ 70.00/shr, you can see how he is far richer than 26 MM shares of BBRY today.
    Corbu, bungaboy, jxnb and 8 others like this.
    06-10-14 07:46 AM
    Nm...
    06-10-14 08:15 AM
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/06/10/ip...ar-in-toronto/

http://www.iqmetrix.com/article/2014...ca-infographic
    "VANCOUVER, BC ? June 9, 2014 ? iQmetrix, the leading provider of retail management software for the North American wireless industry, today released statistics on the phones sold in North America (U.S. and Canada) in the past six months (December 2013-May 2014).

iQmetrix sampled data from 15,000 store locations across North America, identifying interesting trends for the most popular mobile phone manufacturers in a variety of cities, and also for North America as a whole.

iQmetrix collects data from its RQ Retail Management system, utilized by independent wireless retailers across North America to process an estimated 14.5 million handset transactions each year. Information gathered from this substantial database provides a unique look into mobile phone, plan, add-on and accessory purchasing trends.

Key Findings (view full infographic below):

Apple and Samsung dominated sales across North America during the past six months. Cities with the highest percentage of Apple and Samsung sales were:
    - New York City: 61.1% of shoppers purchased Apple phones.
    - Philadelphia: 47.8% of shoppers purchased Apple phones.
    - Spokane, Wash.: 46.1% of shoppers purchased Samsung phones.
    - Seattle: 45.5% of shoppers purchased Samsung phones.
    Of all the major cities in North America, Toronto had the highest percentage of BlackBerry phones purchased during the period, at 22.6% of total phones purchased.
    Glendale, Ariz. had the highest percentage of LG phones (33%) and HTC phones (21%) purchased during the period.
    Colorado Springs had the highest percentage of Nokia phones (7.2%) purchased.
    Across North America, based on all phones sold via RQ during the past six months:
    - Samsung: 39% of phones
    - Apple: 28%
    - BlackBerry: 6%
    - LG: 5.4%
    - HTC: 3.9%
    - Motorola: 3.2%
    - Huawei: 2.9%
    - Sony: 1.9%
    Overall, the top-selling phone models across Canada and the U.S. were:
    1. iPhone 5s
    2. Samsung Galaxy S4*
    *Note: The Samsung Galaxy S5 was released on April 11, 2014, whereas the rival iPhone 5s was released on Sept. 20, 2013.
    In Canada:
    - Vancouver: Samsung (35%), Apple (22%), BlackBerry (9%), other (34%)
    - Toronto: Samsung (33%), Apple (20%), BlackBerry (23%), other (23%)
    - Montreal: Samsung (41%), Apple (20%), LG (16%), other (23%)"

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    plasmid_boy, zyben, jxnb and 13 others like this.
    06-10-14 09:25 AM
    06-10-14 09:31 AM
    Go Toronto!! LOL
    BigBadBen needs to work harder on his west coast friends
    Lol. All of West coast apparently. Seattle and spokane. They calculated Spokane? Lol.
    Not bad for a 0% market share company eh!

Attachment 277392
    Last edited by sidhuk; 06-10-14 at 09:51 AM.
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    06-10-14 09:39 AM
    Go Toronto!! LOL
    BigBadBen needs to work harder on his west coast friends
    Damn it ain't from trying bro! If I can get my son in Vancouver to switch when the new fleet of mobiles drop in the fall that will be a start.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    06-10-14 09:43 AM
    One wonders what the approach will be with the phones in the fall. Will BlackBerry go for a somewhat diluted blanket approach to marketing/selling the phones, or will they look to bombard key places like Toronto and London, UK, and let the buzz spread outwards from there?

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    06-10-14 09:59 AM
    Most of the BlackBerry users here are guys lighting up houses. . It's a demographic for sure albeit a smaller one when compared to legit biz in TO.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-14 10:07 AM
    One wonders what the approach will be with the phones in the fall. Will BlackBerry go for a somewhat diluted blanket approach to marketing/selling the phones, or will they look to bombard key places like Toronto and London, UK, and let the buzz spread outwards from there?

Whatever they do, I'd be very disappointed if they price it wrong again (like they have a track record of doing). I'd like to see pricing like this (off contract, without subsidy prices)

High end qwerty (q30?): $500
    High end touch (z30's successor): $475

and if you turn in your old BlackBerry (BlackBerry 7 device or any other device, even an iphone or galaxy), you get $200 off. So, high end qwerty for $300 and high end touch for $275

This exchange offer will allow them to keep higher MSRP officially and yet sell for lower price. Anyone can find a used phone - simply exchange that phone for BlackBerry 10 and get $200 off.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 11:19 AM
    Whatever they do, I'd be very disappointed if they price it wrong again (like they have a track record of doing). I'd like to see pricing like this (off contract, without subsidy prices)

High end qwerty (q30?): $500
    High end touch (z30's successor): $475

and if you turn in your old BlackBerry (BlackBerry 7 device or any other device, even an iphone or galaxy), you get $200 off. So, high end qwerty for $300 and high end touch for $275

This exchange offer will allow them to keep higher MSRP officially and yet sell for lower price. Anyone can find a used phone - simply exchange that phone for BlackBerry 10 and get $200 off.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I think we can rely on BlackBerry almost certainly pricing them to make people scratch their heads. Unfortunately, I think that's a given. Still, if the devices are actually the best thing out at the time of their launch, that won't be so bad.

As for discounts, I think your discounts are a bit steep, but I do think that they should offer a generous trade in scheme for older BlackBerry devices. This is BlackBerry's chance to sort of launch BlackBerry 10 all over again. Sales numbers are more important than profit, I think - for now. Well, we will see what happens before long...

06-10-14 11:41 AM
    They need the latest 800 series chip and the biggest battery. Then people will look.
    Octacore, 4 gb of memory ,4000 maH battery. Oh ya

But we already know this is not going to happen.

I can't personally wait to get a z50 though. Screen must be closer in size to the z30 than z10 though.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 12:10 PM
    Yeah, I do agree that the new phones should overkill on the spec front. Some say it isn't necessary because unnecessary specs don't do much, but that isn't true: they sell phones. Anyway, let's give them a chance and see what they come up with i guess.

Bacon Munchers likes this.
    06-10-14 12:41 PM
    I guess because they not fare from Vancouver BC
    Lol. All of West coast apparently. Seattle and spokane. They calculated Spokane? Lol.
    Not bad for a 0% market share company eh!

Attachment 277392
    06-10-14 12:42 PM
    Well, I think we can rely on BlackBerry almost certainly pricing them to make people scratch their heads. Unfortunately, I think that's a given. Still, if the devices are actually the best thing out at the time of their launch, that won't be so bad.

As for discounts, I think your discounts are a bit steep, but I do think that they should offer a generous trade in scheme for older BlackBerry devices. This is BlackBerry's chance to sort of launch BlackBerry 10 all over again. Sales numbers are more important than profit, I think - for now. Well, we will see what happens before long...

Yes - my suggested discounts/trade-in is steep but that's because it's very important to penetrate the market (without losing money). Once you get critical mass of users (say 30M+ BlackBerry 10 devices), you'll have lot of app developers publishing apps in BlackBerry world. And then you can expand the market by gradually reducing trade-in discounts.

To start this chain reaction, it's important to achieve critical mass (without losing money). I think steep trade-in discounts for high-end BlackBerry devices will work wonders.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 01:22 PM
    Speaking of chain reactions

OT, but my Thunderclap is almost 2/3rds of the way through the minimum requirements.

Anyone here have a chance to sign up?

www.thunderclap.it/projects/12456

(For those curious, there's actually a picture of me on this page.)
    06-10-14 02:20 PM
    No change in short position:

5/30/2014 93,434,467
    5/15/2014 93,882,666
    zyben, rarsen, bungaboy and 13 others like this.
    06-10-14 03:04 PM
    Yeah, I do agree that the new phones should overkill on the spec front. Some say it isn't necessary because unnecessary specs don't do much, but that isn't true: they sell phones. Anyway, let's give them a chance and see what they come up with i guess.

Well, specs only matter if review sites review it and there are popular apps available to keep the comedy in the article comments to a minimum.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-10-14 03:28 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security file:

New iOS 7 lock screen flaw opens up iPhones, iPads in seconds | ZDNet
    Uber scores huge funding round, record valuation - SmartPlanet

I must be getting dumb, I don't quite understand certain valuations.
    Corbu, morganplus8, zyben and 3 others like this.
    06-10-14 03:46 PM
    Well, specs only matter if review sites review it and there are popular apps available to keep the comedy in the article comments to a minimum.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm...not exactly. when a person walks into a shop to buy a laptop, but doesn't know much about laptops, they revert to common sense and begin weighing up the specs, which they may only have a vague grasp of, and the price, and of course they look at design. It's a perfectly rational thing to do in the circumstance, and the same goes for phones. In both cases, the person also likely speaks to a sales rep, who is looking to sell what sells, and also relies somewhat, if not entirely, on specs, price, and design.

To curse the 'masses' for being 'sheep' or fools or whatever is kind of silly. Not everyone has a passion for mobile technology. They want a phone and leave with the phone that ticks the right boxes - design, price, specs, coolness, etc. Asking or expecting customers to think too much is always dumb. You don't really want to be appealing to their 'thinking brain' primarily anyway. You want to appeal to their emotional brain, and that means keeping things simple, and being cool on top of it.

Design, price, and specs will matter far more than security unless something utterly huge happens to frighten people. Because the customer will still face some resistance from sales reps and the media, I think price needs to be the trigger.

If we've got great design and great specs and a high price, they are going to skip BlackBerry for not having native Instagram, or because the sales person says something negative. If we've got great design and great specs, and a lower price that compensates for the lack of key apps, and the uncertainty around the brand, people will be far more likely to go for the BlackBerry, especially if they know they can get a lot of the Android apps running on it anyway.

Next time around, BlackBerry can price the devices high, with great design and specs, but this time around they need to prioritise selling the phones and breaking the back of the 'failure story'. Market share will bring the apps, the news will be more rosy, enterprise folks won't have any doubt that BlackBerry is alive and well, and that their staff actually want the phones, and all will be happy in BlackBerryland.

sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-10-14 03:49 PM
    06-10-14 05:06 PM
113,256 ... 26462647264826492650 ...