View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Most people look at these security issues as an inevitable result of being a major mobile platform. As a software issue, it can be easily fixed at practically no cost. A hardware issue, on the other hand, that results in a major recall/replacement program would be much more likely to impact the stock.

So, Apple fixes it and everyone waits for the next vulnerability to be discovered. What do expect to happen? Widespread disillusionment about the security of the platform? Here's a new flash - nobody thinks that any platform is absolutely secure.
    Ask Sony what happened after their website got hacked.
    Ask Target what is happening after their database got hacked.
    All software, all can be fixed at practically no cost?
    Corbu, zyben, jxnb and 9 others like this.
    05-28-14 09:59 AM
    "Declining marketshare, bla, bla," is something that investors do pay attention to.
    I said on NO news. No new numbers. Of course should investors pay attention on new numbers about market share.
    But they repeat the old numbers over and over again to create the same headlines.
    sidhuk, Corbu, jxnb and 6 others like this.
    05-28-14 10:07 AM
    As we are discussing the subject of headlines and portrayal of BBRY in the media, consider this anecdotal but typical example from Bloomberg, within the last hour.

BlackBerry Market Share to Fall to 0.3% in 2018, IDC Says - Bloomberg

Compare the headline to the third line.

BlackBerry Market Share to Fall to 0.3% in 2018, IDC Says

BlackBerry’s global shipments are projected to fall almost 50 percent this year to about 9.7 million smartphones, according to a new forecast today from research firm IDC. BlackBerry’s worldwide market share will slide to 0.8 percent in 2014 and may slip to 0.3 percent by 2018, IDC said. The company’s operating system accounted for 1.9 percent of the market in 2013.

“The question of whether BlackBerry can survive continues to surface,” IDC said in the statement. “And with expectations that share will fall below 1 percent in 2014, the only way the company will be viable is likely through a niche approach based on its security assets.”

John Chen, who was named chief executive officer in November, is reducing BlackBerry’s dependence on the smartphones that made the company famous. Instead, he’s stepping up reliance on business customers and fresh revenue streams from its QNX software and BBM instant-messaging services. The shift is key to Chen’s goal of returning the money-losing company to profit by the fiscal year that ends in March 2016.

While BlackBerry’s smartphone dominance continues to vanish, Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system is expected to continue to dominate with 80.2 percent of the global market this year. Android’s share will dip to 77.6 percent in 2018, IDC estimated.

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s Windows phones are projected to increase market share from 2014 to 2018, rising to 6.4 percent from 3.5 percent, according to IDC. Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iOS operating system will account for 13.7 percent of the market in 2018, down from 14.8 percent this year.
    And this Bloomberg story is obviously immediately relayed and rehashed by the Financial Post (aren't we lucky as Canadians to have the FP and the G&M around?).
    BlackBerry’s global market share seen dwindling to 0.3% by 2018 | Financial Post

And becomes fodder for any number of other "news outlets":
    "BlackBerry slides to irrelevance as market share disappears"
    http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/5/28/Bla...isappears.aspx

And so it goes...

As for myself, the only thing that I can predict about 2018 is that I should be 4 years older.

PS: In all due respect for the FP, I should add that their research department is making tremendous strides since this latest piece isn't adorned - for a change - with the picture of a legacy BBRY device. Rejoice!
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-28-14 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling + PS
    zyben, georg4BB, dusdal and 11 others like this.
    05-28-14 10:36 AM
    5 reasons to go BlackBerry

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    zyben, plasmid_boy, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    05-28-14 10:37 AM
    4% is Q4 2013 marketshare, for the entire 2013 their marketshare 14%...

it drop massively after BBM cross platform announced, and further drop after BBM cross platform launched
    Right.

Here is the actual article from your neck of the woods. I guess the glimmer of hope is in the paragraph about folks returning to BlackBerry due to better BBM experience on a bb10 device:

?People are starting to come back to BB because most consumers tell me that it is just more comfortable using BBM on BB devices than on others,? she said.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/busin...martphone-war/
    zyben, sidhuk, plasmid_boy and 8 others like this.
    05-28-14 10:53 AM
    As we are discussing the subject of headlines and portrayal of BBRY in the media, consider this anecdotal but typical example from Bloomberg, within the last hour.

As for myself, the only thing that I can predict about 2018 is that I should be 4 years older.
    LoL.
    SOOOOoooo, that means Blackberry will not be dead in 2018 but, perhaps in 2019?
    but wait a minute. wasnt blackberry already dead? or had 0% market share last year?
    beyond my understanding. amazing BS. it is called media bullying.
    georg4BB, Corbu, zyben and 10 others like this.
    05-28-14 10:55 AM
    Thanks for posting this. Very nice review.
    Some good vibriations to calm down a bit.
    zyben, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    05-28-14 10:57 AM
    Right.

Here is the actual article from your neck of the woods. I guess the glimmer of hope is in the paragraph about folks returning to BlackBerry due to better BBM experience on a bb10 device:

?People are starting to come back to BB because most consumers tell me that it is just more comfortable using BBM on BB devices than on others,? she said.

BlackBerry Losing Indonesia Smartphone War - The Jakarta Globe
    what i am beginning to see is that more and more people defending BB10 and z30 in these BB bashing article's comment section. which wasnt that visible last year.
    05-28-14 11:02 AM
    LoL.
    but wait a minute. wasnt blackberry already dead? or had 0% market share last year?
    What would be interesting would be to go back to 2010 and look at IDC's predictions for BBRY and everyone else.

We could also have an indecent amount of fun in doing the same exercise with the predictions of our mighty journalist luminaries and experts.

But of course, I am foolish since we all know that "BBRY is dead"... Which reminds me of the "Paul is dead" urban legend! Last I checked, he is still around. Let's hope BBRY makes all the doubters eat their words, one day.
    05-28-14 11:11 AM
    LoL.
    Blackberry projected 2014 marketshare is 0.8%. It isn't like Blackberry is at 15% and IDC is predicting it will go down to 0.3%. Blackberry is already at <1%. Predicting 0.3% marketshare by 2018 is hardly "media bullying" given the context of how many smartphones Blackberry currently sells.

(I would like to add that IDC is always wrong with their projections, though. I just don't feel its right to fault a source for making a realistic/plausible prediction.)
    techvisor likes this.
    05-28-14 11:12 AM
    Blackberry projected 2014 marketshare is 0.8%. It isn't like Blackberry is at 15% and IDC is predicting it will go down to 0.3%. Blackberry is already at <1%. Predicting 0.3% marketshare by 2018 is hardly "media bullying" given the context of how many smartphones Blackberry currently sells.

(I would like to add that IDC is always wrong with their projections, though. I just don't feel its right to fault a source for making a realistic/plausible prediction.)
    arnt you a known blackberry basher? therefore anything you say is not taken serious.
    05-28-14 11:16 AM
    These "predictions" are pure nonsense. Just an extension of a chart line.
    Nobody knows if the marketshare in 4 years is 5%, 2%, 1% or 0%.
    But this "news" makes the hadline...
    05-28-14 11:28 AM
    Right.

Where do you see that people are starting to come back to Blackberry? Sorry but I do not see this trend.
    05-28-14 11:28 AM
    BlackBerry Battles Google for the Internet of Things: Let's Hope BlackBerry Wins

BlackBerry Battles Google for the Internet of Things: Let's Hope BlackBerry Wins
    plasmid_boy, sidhuk, 3_M4N and 1 others like this.
    05-28-14 11:51 AM

Who do you think will win?
    05-28-14 12:05 PM
    Right.

Despite the sales downturn trend, Wulan noted, customers were uncomfortable using BBM on other platforms.
    “People are starting to come back to BB because most consumers tell me that it is just more comfortable using BBM on BB devices than on others,” she said.

the statement above are based just from one sales person, on one store...until the total number said people start comeback to BB i dont think one source on one location are the best valid number...
    Last edited by garnok; 05-28-14 at 12:25 PM.
    05-28-14 12:11 PM
    What would be interesting would be to go back to 2010 and look at IDC's predictions for BBRY and everyone else.

We could also have an indecent amount of fun in doing the same exercise with the predictions of our mighty journalist luminaries and experts.

But of course, I am foolish since we all know that "BBRY is dead"... Which reminds me of the "Paul is dead" urban legend! Last I checked, he is still around. Let's hope BBRY makes all the doubters eat their words, one day.
    cant find idc projection from 2010, but i can only find 2011 projection...looks like their prediction for 2015 will turn out totaly wrong...but hey there are still 1 year left before 2015

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/idc-st...jections/50314
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    early2bed likes this.
    05-28-14 12:16 PM
    For the record, here is IDC's Press Release:
    Smartphone Momentum Still Evident with Shipments Expected to Reach 1.2 Billion in 2014 and Growing 23.1% Over 2013, According to IDC - prUS24857114

Excerpt:

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. May 28, 2014 – According to a recently published mobile phone forecast from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, worldwide smartphone shipments will reach a total of 1.2 billion units in 2014, marking a 23.1% increase from the 1.0 billion units shipped in 2013. From there, total volumes will reach 1.8 billion units in 2018, resulting in a 12.3% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2013–2018.

"What makes smartphone growth so amazing is where the growth will be taking place," said Ramon Llamas, Research Manager with IDC's Mobile Phone team. "Smartphone shipments will more than double between now and 2018 within key emerging markets, including India, Indonesia, and Russia. In addition, China will account for nearly a third of all smartphone shipments in 2018. These – and other markets – will offer multiple opportunities to vendors and carriers alike, but the key will be balancing affordability with expectations."

On a worldwide basis, IDC expects the average selling price (ASP) of smartphones to reach $314 in 2014, down 6.3% from the $335 ASP in 2013. From there, ASPs are expected to reach $267 by 2018. While these prices point to a definite decline, users still expect top-notch experiences regardless of what smartphone they purchase.

"Until recently, low cost has equaled poor quality in the smartphone space,” said Ryan Reith, Program Director with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker. "Given the competition at the high end, vendors like Motorola are trying to skate to where the puck is going by offering extremely affordable devices like the Moto E, which offer a ‘good enough’ experience that will suit the needs of many. This goes to show that components that were used 2-3 years back in high-end smartphones are still sufficient in many aspects, and ultimately will allow vendors to come to the table with viable low-cost solutions."

Operating Systems

Android –Android will undoubtedly remain the clear market leader among smartphone operating systems with share expected to hit 80.2% in 2014. Looking forward, IDC expects Android to lose a minimal amount of share over the forecast period, mainly as a result of Windows Phone growth. Android has been, and will continue to be, the platform driving low-cost devices. ASPs of Android smartphones were well below market average in the first quarter of 2014 and are expected to be $254 for full year 2014, dropping to $215 in 2018. Growth of Android phones is expected to outpace the market in 2014, rising 25.6% with volume just shy of 1 billion units.

iOS – Despite rumors of a larger screen iPhone, IDC expects share of iOS to drop from 14.8% in 2014, to 13.7% in 2018. Apple continues to be strong in mature markets, where devices are heavily subsidized, but emerging markets are expected to drive overall market growth, and appetite for smartphones in these markets is at the sub-$200 level, significantly below Apple's selling prices. iOS volumes are expected to hit 184.1 million in 2014, growing to 247.4 million in 2018. Growth of 20.0% this year will slowly drop to year-over-year growth of 6.1% in 2018, more in line with overall market growth.

Windows Phone – Windows Phone continues to slowly build its global footprint, and growth is expected to outpace the market throughout the forecast period. In 2014, volumes are expected to grow 29.5% over 2013, reaching 43.3 million shipments. This momentum is expected to continue into 2015, reaching 65.9 million units, continuing on to 115.3 million in 2018. It is somewhat unclear what Microsoft has in store for its recent acquisition of Nokia, but an additional positive is the number of new OEM partners recently announced. At Microsoft's Build conference this year, the company announced a number of key features that had been visibly absent from the platform in the past. If more OEMs get behind the platform, and device portfolios continue to scale the cost spectrum, Windows Phone can continue to gain momentum.

BlackBerry OS – IDC continues to reduce its BlackBerry forecast across the board with volumes expected to drop 49.6% in 2014, equivalent to 9.7 million units. Looking forward, volumes are expected to continue to decline to 4.6 million units in 2018. The question of whether BlackBerry can survive continues to surface, and with expectations that share will fall below 1% in 2014, the only way the company will be viable is likely through a niche approach based on its security assets.
    Three other interesting charts in there.
    silversun10, sidhuk, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-28-14 12:27 PM
    cant find idc projection from 2010, but i can only find 2011 projection...looks like their prediction for 2015 will turn out totaly wrong...but hey there are still 1 year left before 2015

IDC starts walking down Windows Phone 7 2015 projections | ZDNet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	274398
    oops looks like i can get IDC prediction from 2010...and they are proven not reliable to make any prediction

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-image.jpg
    early2bed, rarsen and techvisor like this.
    05-28-14 12:30 PM

Interesting that they even mention the ability to side load there at the end of the video. Little by little the word is spreading. I'm surprised that wasn't one of the core reasons they gave, but they did give five good reasons so side loading was just kind of a bonus feature thrown in.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    05-28-14 12:51 PM
    as the smaller and thus more agile company, who else but Blackberry will win? its so obvious...
    05-28-14 01:12 PM
    Hmmm...finger in the wind...

...Google.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-28-14 01:43 PM
    I think some folks in here should step back and take a deep breath. It's started to get a bit loonie tunes in here...

...i know I won't get hearts for saying this, but I'll live.

techvisor and Bacon Munchers like this.
    05-28-14 01:49 PM
    I think some folks in here should step back and take a deep breath. It's started to get a bit loonie tunes in here...

...i know I won't get hearts for saying this, but I'll live.

You're talking to yourself..

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 02:01 PM
    Hmmm...finger in the wind...

...Google.

That's probably an obvious choice if you're going by fingers in the wind, but if you look at the technology and infrastructure, no one is better positioned than BlackBerry to win this race. Microsoft tried hard and even with the initial support of Ford, it failed (kinda). Apple has been trying for at least 5 years, still no success yet. Google is pushing hard and with purchase of Nest might be viable if it could create a whole system for itself (but to me the odds of that happening is less than the chance of BB getting there first). But what do I know....

Oh, by "loonie tunes" did you mean we are cute cartoon characters or we are stupid?
    05-28-14 02:06 PM
113,256 ... 26252626262726282629 ...