427 37.82%
    LOL .. i hope we dont go to 15 cents lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-21-14 02:54 PM
    Let me guess!!!!
    I bought 10,000 shares of bbry today.
    purchased at $7.18 and sold it at $7.32
    05-21-14 03:01 PM
    It just keeps going and going and going and . . .

Another password scare, billion-dollar duds and Obama's empty NSA talk

Another password scare, billion-dollar duds and Obama's empty NSA talk - The Globe and Mail

Shane Dingman
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Wednesday, May. 21 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
    Last updated Wednesday, May. 21 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

A strange thing happened Wednesday morning, as Reuters reported that EBay Inc. briefly seemed to ask all its users to change their passwords. A message posted on the community and press websites of the company’s online payment unit PayPal did not say why the passwords needed to be changed, and then later the message was removed altogether.

UPDATE: EBay has reposted that message, and confirms that customer information was stolen by hackers in February and March. The company claims no credit cards were stolen, but identity details such as user passwords, birth dates and so forth were taken in an assault on the online marketplace's databases.

"Cyberattackers compromised a small number of employee log-in credentials, allowing unauthorized access to eBay's corporate network," the company wrote in a blog post. "Working with law enforcement and leading security experts, the company is aggressively investigating the matter and applying the best forensics tools and practices to protect customers."

So, yes, change your password, and while you are at it make sure it’s not the same as any important online passwords either. (FYI, if you use a Facebook or Google “social logins” for your websites, there is reason to believe those logins aren’t secure either.)
    Mr BBRY, zyben, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    05-21-14 03:44 PM
    LOL .. i hope we dont go to 15 cents lol
    Rip van Winkle fell asleep and woke up twenty years later, having missed the American Revolution, the death of his wife, the marriage of his daughter and the birth of his grandson. LoL
    sidhuk and jxnb like this.
    05-21-14 04:16 PM
    The FP's take on Project Ion

BlackBerry Ltd unveils Project Ion strategy aimed at �Internet of Things� for businesses | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd unveils Project Ion strategy aimed at �Internet of Things� for businesses

As BlackBerry Ltd. continues its push to move beyond its smartphone roots and establish itself as a provider of key enterprise technologies, the Waterloo, Ont. based company is doubling down on the Internet of Things.

On Wednesday, BlackBerry unveiled Project Ion, a new strategy that the Canadian mobile company describes as the �cornerstone� of its plan to provide customers with technologies that will enable businesses to manage the plethora of new IP-enabled devices coming online every day.

With everything from automobiles, home appliances and wearable technologies now sporting IP addresses with the ability to be accessed via the Internet, technologists have taken to calling this move towards the networking of these Internet-connected devices as the �Internet of Things.�

Just as BlackBerry is hoping to position its technology as a leader in the mobile device management (MDM) space with the ability to secure and manage not only its own devices, but also competing smartphones running software from Apple Inc., Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp., the company is hoping to extend that technology into other Internet-enabled devices which may find their way into the enterprise.

�As connectivity costs continue to fall and connected technologies become pervasive, a new market is emerging � the Internet of Things,� BlackBerry chief executive John Chen said in a statement.

�Billions of connections, generating trillions of transactions and exabytes of data daily, will require platforms that can operate securely on a global scale. No other company is in a better position than BlackBerry to provide the technological building blocks, applications and services needed to enhance productivity, improve real-time decision making and deliver on the vision of the Internet of Things.�

Cisco Systems Inc. estimates there are about 10 billion �things� which have been connected to the Internet. The company expects that number to grow to more than 50 billion within the next decade, with more than 95% of those expected to be consumer-centric devices like thermostats and ovens.

According to a release from BlackBerry, Project Ion will offer companies �the resources necessary to access massive amounts of data from multiple disparate sources and distill it into meaningful, actionable information using open source and third party analytic tools.�

Project Ion will include a public application platform which takes advantage of BlackBerry�s QNX technology and will enable businesses to manage the data coming from the Internet-connected devices on their networks.

BlackBerry said that select partners and developers will have early access to Project Ion �soon.�

The move comes a little more than a month after BlackBerry invested in NantHealth, an IT development company that will work with BlackBerry on ways to connect medical equipment with data centers and mobile devices used by doctors. Mr. Chen has identified healthcare as one of a number of �regulated industries� BlackBerry intends to focus on as it looks to reestablish its enterprise customer base.

BlackBerry also plans to introduce a new version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) technology, known as BES 12, later this year.

The new BES 12 will enable companies to manage older BlackBerrys running the company�s BB7 software, as well as new BlackBerrys running on BB10 � something previous versions of the technology could not do � in addition to rival devices, such as Apple�s iPhone and devices running on Google�s Android platform.
    zyben, bungaboy, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    05-21-14 04:29 PM
    Let me guess!!!!
    Yes, I indeed bought BBRY shares at $7.18 (not today though) and sold it will not sell it at $7.32.
    05-21-14 05:10 PM
    Tech marketing guru says Chen right for blackberry

KITCHENER — Geoffrey Moore, a legend in marketing high-tech products, had a front-row seat a few years ago when John Chen was leading the turnaround at Sybase.

Long before Chen was appointed chief executive officer of BlackBerry last fall — with a mandate to resurrect the once dominate smartphone maker — Moore watched Chen lead Sybase out of the red by moving the software company aggressively into the mobile-data space.

"So I wouldn't count BlackBerry out," Moore said in a phone interview. "I certainly never would count John Chen out of any game."

Moore, author of Crossing the Chasm, an exploration of high-tech marketing that has sold more than one million copies, is one of the speakers at Communitech's 2014 Tech Leadership Conference on May 29 at Bingemans.

"I know John Chen extremely well, because he and I worked closely together when he was at Sybase," Moore said.

Under Chen's leadership, Sybase returned to profitability in 2000, stayed that way for 55 consecutive quarters and was sold to SAP in 2010 for $5.8 billion. At its low point, Sybase had a market capitalization of $362 million.

"I watched John Chen take that hand at Sybase," Moore said. "He just fought his way back into the game. He couldn't catch the very next wave, but he caught the wave after that and he got back into mobile in a different way, around more the enterprise infrastructure for mobile."

When the financial crisis hit in 2008-2009, Sybase was ready with analytics software that became a necessary purchase for many investment bankers.

"He was able to recapture momentum in the analytics category, which was very lucrative and funded him well for the short- to medium-term," Moore said.

At the same time, Sybase was moving to help the enterprise get applications on mobile devices. Moore worked with Chen in this area, and recommended Sybase first concentrate on iPhones, because it was clear Apple was going to win the battle for the smartphone market.

"SAP saw their applications running on iPhones and then iPads, and they went: 'Holy smoke, that's what I want.' And they bought the company," Moore said.

Moore, also the author of Escape Velocity, Inside the Tornado and Living on the Fault Line, describes Chen as being charming, intelligent and practical.

This fall, BlackBerry will release its latest operating system — BES12. With the ability to handle all mobile platforms, and personal and business uses, on the same servers, it is a key part of Chen's turnaround strategy. Moore believes it is a shrewd move.

Moore said he speaks with 100 to 300 chief information officers a year and they would all welcome a system that can handle professional and personal mobile devices, across all platforms.

The last thing CIOs want to do is cobble together software from Apple, Google and Microsoft to manage their employees' mobile devices, he said.

"I think that's the playbook, at least a start down that road. There is so much work to be done. There is so much opportunity in that space."

Other speakers at the Tech Leadership conference include Kristine Stewart, managing director of Twitter Canada, and branding expert Scott Bedbury, who was behind Nike's 'Just Do it' campaign.
    05-21-14 05:13 PM
    Yes, I indeed bought BBRY shares at $7.18 (not today though) and sold it will not sell it at $7.32.
    LoL,
    you know that it wasnt me though?
    bungaboy and rim4ever like this.
    05-21-14 05:19 PM
    I feel like I am literally bombarding you guys with Project Ion stories today... While it's fresh, and for the record, might as well do it.

Forget phones, BlackBerry's new Project Ion is all about THINGS • The Register

Forget phones, BlackBerry's new Project Ion is all about THINGS

Cloudy backend promises to munch data from QNX devices

With its smartphone sales circling the drain, beleaguered BlackBerry has announced Project Ion, a set of initiatives aimed at delivering services and infrastructure for everyone's favorite hot-button buzzword, the Internet of Things (IoT).

The project was unveiled in a brief presentation at the O'Reilly Solid conference on Wednesday by Alec Saunders, who in January was tapped by BlackBerry CEO John Chen to head the company's new QNX Cloud business.

QNX, originally developed by independent vendor QNX Systems, is an industry-leading realtime embedded OS. Acquired by BlackBerry in 2010, when it's not propping up the company's latest BlackBerry 10 smartphone platform, QNX on its own powers a wide range of devices, from in-car entertainment systems to industrial machinery.

"QNX is literally everywhere," Saunders told the audience at Solid. "It's in satellites, it's in trains, it's in cars, it's in laser eye surgery systems, it's even in robotic vacuum cleaners."

The trick, Saunders said, is that these days, vendors all want to use sensors and connectivity to extract data from those devices. And that data can pile up fast.

"If you believe all of the predictions that there will be 50 billion devices connected to the internet of things by 2020," Saunders said, "we could be talking about trillions of machine transactions and exabytes of data being created on a daily basis."

So the way BlackBerry figures it, who better to help companies manage and make sense of that data than the company that sells them their QNX software in the first place?

Details of just what BlackBerry is cooking up are still scant, but according to a blog post by Saunders on Wednesday, Project Ion will take a three-pronged approach.

The first piece will be a "cloud-based product" – it's still not clear whether we're talking about something that BlackBerry will manage or something that customers can install in their own data centers, or both – that will help customers capture and collate their IoT data.

Saunders demoed what he described as a prototype version of the product at the Solid show, but he said the commercial version will be "a secure platform that can scale globally to handle the millions of transactions and exabytes of data generated by these objects every single day."

Second, Saunders said BlackBerry is working to develop a new ecosystem composed of partners, wireless carriers, and application developers to help drum up enthusiasm for the whole IoT concept.

Third, BlackBerry plans to get more involved in the IoT landscape – among other things, by joining industry groups such as the Industrial Internet Consortium and the Application Developer Alliance.

"We believe BlackBerry is in the best position to provide the technological building blocks, applications and services needed deliver on the vision of IoT," Saunders said.

Mind you, none of this will happen overnight. Saunders said BlackBerry will be opening its QNX Cloud software to select customers in a private preview "very shortly," but no timeline of when it will be made generally available was discussed.

In the meantime, Saunders says he welcomes comment from customers. "Will IoT change everything?" he wrote. "Visit blackberry.com/project-ion to tell us what IoT means to you or how you're using it today."
    zyben, bungaboy, dusdal and 7 others like this.
    05-21-14 05:27 PM
    And finally, Alec Saunders' post from INSIDE BlackBerry:

BlackBerry: The Internet of Things is just the beginning | Inside BlackBerry

The Internet of Things is just the beginning
    Alec Saunders

We’re at a tipping point.

Billions of everyday devices will soon be connected to the Internet. Today thermostats and smartphones have the capability to talk to each other. Tomorrow virtually all of our devices will be connected. We’re already starting to see trends – imagine a world where your contact lenses can measure glucose levels, your car has always-on 4G LTE and even dairy cows are connected to the Internet to make sure they’re as healthy as possible.

Data has become an integral part of the products we use. As every human being and the products, companies and services they interact with become connected, we believe that how companies collect and interpret that data is going to transform how modern business is done. This is the Internet of Things (IoT).

Unfortunately, the traditional machine-to-machine technology used for today’s IoT is expensive, usually proprietary, custom built and often confined by the boundaries of the enterprise firewall. Not to mention these technologies are outdated by our present standards.

So there’s a need – today – for a secure public applications platform for the Internet of Things that operates at a global scale.

Our CEO John Chen has talked about it before and I want to show you what we’ve been working on. Today at O’Reilly Solid in San Francisco, a new conference exploring the convergence of our physical and digital worlds, I unveiled Project Ion. It’s a codename that we’ve been using internally for our vision for the Internet of Things where the customer is at the center of a connected IoT experience that offers tools and resources to securely connect millions of devices and distill information for real-time decisions.

Project Ion consists of three initiatives where we will explore many components and ideas to act on our vision. The first is a cloud-based product from QNX Software Systems that enables companies and developers to quickly and securely take part in the IoT. We’re moving fast to support our vision and today announced that select companies and partners will soon have the opportunity to access an early version of the product. It’s a secure platform that can scale globally to handle the millions of transactions and exabytes of data generated by these objects every single day.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-aleckeynoteblogpicture.jpg

As our second initiative, we’re building out an IoT ecosystem that consists of partners, carriers and application developers. The third component of Project Ion includes important new partnerships, including memberships in the Industrial Internet Consortium and the Application Developer Alliance, which help drive IoT industry dialogue and innovation forward.

We believe BlackBerry is in the best position to provide the technological building blocks, applications and services needed deliver on the vision of IoT. We’ll have more to share as Project Ion moves forward, but in the meantime I want to hear from you. Will IoT change everything? Visit blackberry.com/project-ion to tell us what IoT means to you or how you’re using it today.

As I said before, this is just the beginning of a new connected world – and we’re glad you’re with us for the ride.
    05-21-14 05:30 PM
    On and on, on and on, on and on . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ebay-notice-2-may-21-2014.jpg

05-21-14 06:10 PM
    I feel like I am literally bombarding you guys with Project Ion stories today... While it's fresh, and for the record, might as well do it.

Forget phones, BlackBerry's new Project Ion is all about THINGS • The Register
    No worries! We appreciate it! Keep it coming! This is some great stuff and a clear signal of some big things to come for BlackBerry. They are literally laying a foundation to a future with major potential. Exciting times ahead, yet the SP has barely flinched. Unbelievable! Oh that's right, it won't go anywhere until they show several consecutive quarters of profitability, because this dead company, who is struggling and irrelevant, might go bankrupt any day now. Ridiculous...SMH!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, zyben and 13 others like this.
    05-21-14 07:28 PM
    OT: Facebook Launches NSA-Style Auto-Eavesdropping Feature

Facebook Launches NSA-Style Auto-Eavesdropping Feature | Zero Hedge
    sidhuk, bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    05-21-14 08:17 PM
    OT: Facebook Launches NSA-Style Auto-Eavesdropping Feature

Facebook Launches NSA-Style Auto-Eavesdropping Feature | Zero Hedge

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-images-44-.jpg

Posted via a Device with Z and a 30
    Corbu, sidhuk, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-21-14 09:11 PM
    QNX Auto Blog: ZENRIN Datacom integrates mobile navigation app with QNX CAR Platform

ZENRIN Datacom integrates mobile navigation app with QNX CAR Platform

Don't know if you've noticed, but a variety of navigation software vendors have been integrating their solutions with the QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment. In the last few months alone, QNX has announced partnerships with Nokia HERE, Kotei Informatics, and AISIN AW — this in addition to its longstanding partnerships with navigation leaders like Elektrobit, TCS, and TeleNav.

The new partnerships are a boon to automakers and Tier 1 suppliers, especially those that target multiple geographies. More than ever, these companies can choose the navigation solution, or solutions, best suited to a given country or region.

The good news continues with ZENRIN DataCom, a leading provider of mapping services and products from Japan. ZENRIN is now integrating its Its-mo NAVI [Drive] 2013 application — which offers fuel prices, nearby parking spots, and other location-based features — with the QNX CAR Platform. In fact, ZENRIN and QNX demonstrated this integration last week at the Smartphone Japan conference in Tokyo.

The choice of venue may seem surprising, but it makes sense: Its-mo NAVI [Drive] is a smartphone app that, thanks to the collaboration between ZENRIN and QNX, can now run on head units as well. More to the point, this integration illustrates the benefit of building support for mobile app environments into a car infotainment platform: automakers can tap into a much larger developer community.

A spokesperson from ZENRIN DataCom says it best: “The automotive market in Japan and the rest of Asia is a vibrant and compelling environment for app developers but market volume is significantly lower than that for smartphones. A cross-platform concept is key as it enables apps to run on both smartphones and vehicle head units with minimal changes. The QNX CAR Platform, with its rich support for mobile application environments, is a very attractive feature for app developers in the mobile world.”

If you’d like more about ZENRIN and its navigation app, I invite you to read the press release and visit the ZENRIN website.
    05-21-14 09:39 PM
    Let me guess!!!!
    So, basically you are saying that you won enough dough to buy 2 more Z30's with enough left for a nice lunch for you and your Mrs?
    sidhuk likes this.
    05-22-14 12:43 AM
    OT:

This really burns my britches. I don't see a picture of a Z30 in this group. I guess it's because we don't have a problem with battery life:

http://bgr.com/2014/05/21/best-smart...attery-life-2/

Now, was the author stupid, or just ignorant?
    It's one or the other.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I am a but tired of how many people that see my Z30 don't even know what it is, nor that BlackBerry even made such a device.
    I was in a course today with a hard core bb7 user that won't use anything but BlackBerry. The problem was that he didn't even know that BlackBerry Z was a thing nor that the bb10 could run the Android app that he was selling with his hardware package.

Anyway, back to starring at the stock board....
    05-22-14 01:06 AM
    On and on, on and on, on and on . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay notice 2 May 21 2014.JPG 
Views:	1787 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	272589

and your point is?
    05-22-14 05:47 AM

Forget phones, BlackBerry's new Project Ion is all about THINGS �€� The Register
    It's just ... you beat me at it
    This is the kind of news that we need now, some long-term vision along with operational, cost efficient management. May not make the SP skyrocket (I sincerely doubt), but definitely catch some eyes.

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    SF
    05-22-14 06:33 AM
    Some interesting stuff over the last couple of days! Great to hear and see that BlackBerry isn't looking for just a quick balance sheet fix, but for long term sustainability.

On a personal note, with regards to my phone experiment, I've come to the conclusion that I'll be carrying two phones. The work phone is nothing more than phone calls and unavailable apps, and my Z10 for all things messaging. Trying to handle just text, BBM, and two email accounts on the Samsung was a mess in comparison.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 06:47 AM
    Pretty good endorsement . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-kevinolearytwitter.jpg
    05-22-14 07:42 AM
    What I noticed in yesterday's articles regarding project Ion, is that their back-end cloud will be hosted by a third party. Now, what I am wondering is:

Does that mean BlackBerry will provide a secure connection for all data from the actual THING (device, car, animal,...) to the cloud which will there (in the cloud) be stored and secured by a third party and can then be accessed by applications in their secured QNX environment?

A lot of fancy words, but I'm just trying to see how it all fits together. Especially the third party cloud host provider's role seems interesting to me. Alec made it seem like they could still change hosts so what does the host actually do? And how big/secure will this partner need to be? A la IBM?

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, zyben and bungaboy like this.
    05-22-14 07:59 AM
    So, basically you are saying that you won enough dough to buy 2 more Z30's with enough left for a nice lunch for you and your Mrs?
    LoL,
    I didn't buy or sell.
    It was a joke. Presuming some one else pulls this off on a daily basis and brags about it on this thread, with by the second commentary.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    05-22-14 08:01 AM
    Ladies and gents, here we go with e-BBM ...

Timeframe for Release:

• eBBM Suite – BBM Protected – June launch for BBOS devices running BBOS 6+ and Regulated BB10.2+ activations
    • Regulated+Balance (and potentially Balance only) activations Early Fall 2014. (September/October)
    • Android/iOS BBM Protected – Late Fall/Early Winter (November) launch with BES12.
    Where's that applause smiley ?

(watch the videos inside)
    Videos show off BBM Protected Demo �€“ NerdBerry

edit: I'm such a bad Ambassador ... hit the CB blog !
    http://crackberry.com/bbm-protected-demo-caught-video
    sidhuk, rarsen, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    05-22-14 09:35 AM
    Something new or just a rehash of last week's "lukewarm" report?

http://www.techwalls.com/blackberry-...ake-indonesia/

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 09:53 AM
113,256 ... 26182619262026212622 ...