View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What the hell is up with the stock these days?? Seems like good news all around, but the stock just keeps taking hits... I don't get it. Waiting for reports or what?
    I also ask myself the same question. What the hell is up with the stock lately? Why does it refuse to go under $7? I would love to buy more shares at $7.

Why is the volume so pathetic? Where are the sellers? Oh, I get it. The stock must be bottoming out...
    BlackistheBerry and Mr BBRY like this.
    05-20-14 08:33 PM
    I also ask myself the same question. What the hell is up with the stock lately? Why does it refuse to go under $7? I would love to buy more shares at $7.

Why is the volume so pathetic? Where are the sellers? Oh, I get it. The stock must be bottoming out...
    I'm worried about the markets in general.

Dow,Nasdaq, s&p, tsx, indices all hitting 6 year highs. Check them out.

What's worse, money on the sidelines has been accumulating steadily for the last 2 years. Also it's May, and historically, it's best to invest November to April. Summer months are dry and perhaps people are hesitant to make a move.

Unless we have some really good news,say that we're on track to being cash flow positive, or bb10 sales really picking up, you may just see it be swallowed in a correction.

I'm optimistic for BlackBerry turnaround but markets are in a bubble.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 08:55 PM
    The Monarchy in the UK and Canada is irrelevant to bring up in this discussion. The Monarchy is simply a legacy in Canada with relation to how the government is structured. Just because Canada and the UK share the same monarch and the figure head of state, doesn't mean that they're somehow intertwined.

Canada, UK and Australia (let's include them as another example) are all sovereign states. The relation between each country is autonomous and is not closely influenced by the Monarchy.

PS. I'm Canadian.
    You being Canadian is irrelevant to bring up in this discussion....

Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-22-14 at 12:35 AM.
    05-21-14 12:38 AM
    Verizon promoting BB devices to business customers...

Nice to have big red on our side.

Guess it doesn't hurt to have one of Verizon own on our board!
    05-21-14 01:11 AM
    05-21-14 06:23 AM
    http://www.businessinsider.com/cisco...-coming-2014-5

A very interesting, credible article. I wonder which companies will come out stronger.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 06:38 AM
    Cisco CEO: 'Brutal' Times For IT Coming - Business Insider

A very interesting, credible article. I wonder which companies will come out stronger.

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem with M&As. No new wealth is created and many jobs are lost and Communities get hurt.

What the heck is wrong with good old competition? What the heck is right with everything being controlled by a few?
    05-21-14 06:44 AM
    That's the problem with M&As. No new wealth is created and many jobs are lost and Communities get hurt.

What the heck is wrong with good old competition? What the heck is right with everything being controlled by a few?
    Pretty evident and rampant in tech today. With the rate at which tech startups and companies are being acquired, we may not see another major tech company become the next Google, Apple, BlackBerry.

Seems like innovation for the big players is being done through M&A vs. actually innovation.
    05-21-14 07:04 AM
    From SA "Market Prediction System Predicts Bumpy Road Ahead For BlackBerry"

Not worth reading. They try to forecast BBRY by a self learning algorithm:

"... Currently, our self-learning algorithm has a bearish forecast for the Canadian telecommunication and wireless equipment company for the 1-month, 3-month and 1-year time horizon. The market prediction system is 100% empirical, which means that it is based on historical data and not on any human derived assumptions. The human factor is only involved in building the mathematical framework and initially presenting the system with the "starting set" of inputs and outputs, which is also utilized for recognizing over 1,400 other market opportunities. From that point onwards, the algorithm takes over, constantly proposing "theories" and repeatedly testing them automatically on years of daily market data. It then validates them on the most recent data, which prevents over-fitting. While we are bearish on BlackBerry, we have no positions on BBRY or malicious intentions, and the market prediction process is analogous for every asset tracked...."

I think, a prediction based on historical data for a company which is in the middle of a huge transition doesn't make any sence. But it shows how analysts are actually working...
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    05-21-14 07:20 AM
    Is that you Plasmid_boy?
    05-21-14 07:36 AM
    Is that you Plasmid_boy?
    No, but it would be nice to have time to chill out on the beach like that.
    05-21-14 07:58 AM
    No, but it would be nice to have time to chill out on the beach like that.
    I have to agree but I think the seal has something different than "chilling out" on his mind!
    05-21-14 08:01 AM
    Good news is its slowing climbing back up.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/bbry

Better that $5 per share

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    05-21-14 08:07 AM
    Z3 Launch Footage from Chip Indonesia:

Source: BerryFlow
    05-21-14 10:08 AM
    Somebody wake me up when we are at 15
    georg4BB, Mr BBRY, moody and 1 others like this.
    05-21-14 11:25 AM
    05-21-14 11:29 AM
    Somebody wake me up when we are at 15
    LoL

Corbu and Mr BBRY like this.
    05-21-14 12:17 PM
    Project Ion!

BlackBerry Enables Businesses to Derive Value from the Internet of Things

New Project to Provide Secure Public Applications Platform and Resources for Real-Time Decisions

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 21, 2014) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today unveiled a series of initiatives, codenamed Project Ion, to help businesses easily connect people, devices and machines, and derive value from these connections. Project Ion is a cornerstone of BlackBerry's vision to offer end-to-end solutions for the Internet of Things.

According to Forrester Research, Inc., "New smart products and the systems that connect them will eventually provide users with more personalized experiences. By collecting and combining both personal data and contextual information from the surrounding environment in real time, these products will give individuals experiences that serve them in their immediate moment of need."([1])

"As connectivity costs continue to fall and connected technologies become pervasive, a new market is emerging - the Internet of Things," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "Billions of connections, generating trillions of transactions and exabytes of data daily, will require platforms that can operate securely on a global scale. No other company is in a better position than BlackBerry to provide the technological building blocks, applications and services needed to enhance productivity, improve real-time decision making and deliver on the vision of the Internet of Things."

Project Ion was announced at the O'Reilly Solid Conference (May 21-22, San Francisco). It will offer the resources necessary to access massive amounts of data from multiple disparate sources and distill it into meaningful, actionable information using open source and third party analytic tools. This deeper insight will empower companies and organizations across a range of industries. These include doctors and caregivers who require real-time diagnosis information to improve patient care, consumer products companies seeking new ways to better understand and engage with their customers, insurers pursuing more accurate risk profile information and manufacturers in need of better logistics and control data.

Project Ion will focus on developing a host of Internet of Things resources, including:

-- A secure public application platform that will enable a new generation of
    IoT applications that can access massive amounts of data from multiple
    sources and allow businesses to make timely, informed decisions. Powered
    by QNX(R) technology and BlackBerry secure enterprise mobility management,
    this platform will securely manage data from millions of end points
    across multi-device, multi-platform environments.

-- Facilitation of an Internet of Things ecosystem consisting of partners,
    carriers and application developers looking to connect an ever-growing
    number of Internet-enabled devices on a secure public applications
    platform.

-- Strategic partnerships, including membership in the Industrial Internet
    Consortium(TM) (IIC), a not-for-profit organization dedicated to driving
    standards-based technologies for industry, academia and government to
    accelerate the development and availability of connected technologies.
    BlackBerry is also one of the founding members of the Application
    Developer Alliance (ADA), an association that focuses on advancing
    application development while helping to solve current challenges such as
    security and privacy.

Select partners and developers will soon have early access to the product component of Project Ion. To learn more about this project and to sign up for the product Beta, go to www.blackberry.com/project-ion.
    (MKTW) BlackBerry Enables Businesses to Derive Value from the Internet of Things - WSJ.com
    05-21-14 12:19 PM
    I'm noticing many Q5's in Ontario especially among teenagers. The $150 Koodo(Telus) should be the reason why they're becoming popular.

Just looking at Bestbuy flyer we're mostly seeing off contract phones from Chatr, koodo... nokia 520, q5, sg3.

I think blackberry can sell a ton of Z3s in Canada at the $150 price point. Not everyone needs lte. Hspa+ and wifi is fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 12:20 PM
    More on this Project Ion

BlackBerry launches Project Ion to join the internet of things �€” Tech News and Analysis

SUMMARY: BlackBerry is turning its attention to a cloud back end for processing data from connected devices. It hopes its experience with security and open source cloud tools can entice developers to its new platform.

BlackBerry is launching a cloud service called Project Ion for the internet of things with the idea of using its experience in building secure, connected devices to connect sensors, cars and anything else in a secure fashion to a cloud back end. Alex Saunders, the vice president of cloud at BlackBerry, launched the project at the O’Reilly Solid conference in San Francisco with a call for developers to try to build applications on the proposed platform.

What is Project Ion

The project is a cloud back end and BlackBerry’s QNX software that allows a device to send information back to the cloud. When it comes to the cloud portion, Saunders said in an interview before his talk, “We have stolen liberally from open source software in computing and networking that has been going on in the last couple of years. Many of them didn’t exist in the form we are using them in, 18 months ago.”

The database is Cassandra, chosen because it handles data writes (as opposed to reads) better, and BlackBerry assumes that all the data from devices coming in will be massive and possibly in different formats that will eventually need to be consolidated into one single format. The cloud uses Kafka for getting data in and out of the Cassandra cluster, Solr for search and Vert.x for programming.The cloud back end is being hosted with an undisclosed provider, chosen because Saunders noted, “We are building this very fast.” My hunch is a public cloud provider, although Saunders said the current host might change because depending on how each provider structures their offers and the eventual architecture of the cloud, it might cost less to host elsewhere.

The software side will rely on QNX where it already exists, such as in cars, but BlackBerry will also provide documentation or maybe even open source parts of QNX to allow programmers to write code for devices that can talk back to the QNX cloud. Programmers can use JSON, C languages, Node and other popular tools.

Who and when?

BlackBerry is working with both the Industrial Internet Consortium, the group founded by Intel, GE, Cisco, AT&T and IBM earlier this year, and the Application Development Alliance, which was in part founded by BlackBerry. The idea is that an invite-only beta program will open this summer, and Saunders was at Solid to entice developers to join. The public beta will be in the fall with a formal product launching before the end of BlackBerry’s fourth quarter in February 2015.

BlackBerry will compete in a crowded market against firms such as Xively, Ayla Networks, Berg Cloud, ThingWorks and many other businesses hosting a cloud back end for corporate clients hoping to send sensor data in and get analytics out. Saunders believes BlackBerry’s focus on security and privacy will be an advantage over others, as well as its experience working with the physical devices. The idea is that a full product has to cover both client side devices and the cloud back end, especially where you are thinking about security.

What’s more interesting is how BlackBerry is thinking about building context-awareness into devices to allow data to be shared only in certain situations. He used a car’s telemetry system as an example, saying the manufacturer might ask for all the cars’ data, while a dealership might only get the data about diagnostics and how a person is driving. The device should have some programs that understand what information to give up and to whom. And when those triggers are met, the device can send the appropriate data.

“We can offer permissioning based on what info needs to known at any one time,” he said.

So will Project Ion and a focus outside of individual devices save the company? I don’t know, but joining the rush of companies building a product for the internet of things isn’t a super stretch for BlackBerry and it might as well throw some spaghetti at the wall and see if it sticks.
    05-21-14 12:22 PM
    I don't even use LTE because here in Ontario the coverage still sucks with rogers, in my room my q10 would keep switching trying to pick up lte or 4g and it kills the battery

I'm going to give my little cousin my old 9900 and see how he likes it, he's still pretty young but is in need of a new phone and he likes keyboard, maybe I'll get him a q5. Typical kid tho so I'm sure the phone will take a beating

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and theRock1975 like this.
    05-21-14 12:26 PM
    2620 pages.. like damn :O..
    Just bought 20 bb shares with the help of an experianced friend in these sort of things !

So a newbee in this tread but I'll try to keep up with the posts
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 8 others like this.
    05-21-14 12:35 PM
    disclosure: Do not buy shares of this company.
    BlackBerry: Likely to Hit $10 in 2014 - GuruFocus.com
    05-21-14 01:05 PM
    I don't recall seeing this posted. If it already has been, apologies.

Nice initiative.

Android Apps Run on BlackBerry 10 | BlackBerry Developer Blog

I love showing developers Android apps running on my BlackBerry Z30 because they are always surprised at how well they run, how great they look and how easy it is to put their app on BlackBerry 10 device.

That’s why we’re going on the road. Over the next few months, we’re sponsoring the largest hack-a-thons in the world, AngelHack and AnDevCon. We want to show developers first-hand how easy it is to access the app hungry BlackBerry users.

We’re also making it easy to earn a free BlackBerry Z10! Visit us at one of the events we’re at below and get a personal offer for a free device*, then register for the offer and make your app available for sale on BlackBerry World and we’ll send you a BlackBerry Z10 at no cost to you.

+ Cities & Dates
    05-21-14 01:38 PM
    Gotta give it to Alec Saunders.. he was given the immense task of building an entire new ecosystem for BB10 after the PlayBook fiasco and his team - together with Marty Mallick's team - executed well by continuously listening to feedback and by giving options to developers. This time he has arrived to the game on time so I expect good results. A great challenge for sure!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 02:10 PM
113,252 ... 26172618261926202621 ...