View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    05-19-14 12:01 PM
    Google just bought a company that builds two separate work spaces in Android...a la BB10.

Google Buys an Enterprise Android Company, Divide (Formerly Known as Enterproid) | Re/code
    This Divide purchase by Google seems to be generating a fair amount of buzz in the media:
    Google takes another shot at Android in the enterprise with Divide buy | CITEworld

Indeed, what a brilliant, novel concept!

Divide's product works by providing employees a secure, contained workspace, separate from their personal apps, with all the enterprise data and tools they need -- including a mail client, browser, cloud file storage, and so forth.

[...]

The personal stuff stays personal, and IT gets a secure container to manage.
    I hope they bring it up in INSIDE BlackBerry.

Edited to add the WSJ's take on it:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/...-in-workplace/

Google said it is buying Divide, a mobile-device-management startup, to help the Internet giant’s Android business reach more business customers.

A purchase price wasn’t disclosed.

Divide, founded by former Morgan Stanley information-technology executives, helps companies manage the growing number – and variety — of mobile devices used by employees.

Android is the world’s most popular mobile-operating system, but is less common inside companies. This lucrative enterprise market used to be dominated by BlackBerry, but Apple, Google and Microsoft are trying to wrest market share from the troubled Canada-based company.

Complicating matters, many companies now allow employees to connect their own smartphones and tablets to the corporate network, a practice known as Bring Your Own Device, or BYOD. That’s made life more challenging for corporate-technology managers.

Those managers generally have preferred devices using Apple’s iOS operating system because it is relatively easy to set up and relatively secure, said Chris Jones, principal analyst at Canalys, a technology research firm. For instance, apps are tested extensively by Apple before they are allowed into the company’s App Store, which makes IT managers more comfortable, Jones noted.

In contrast, Google has exerted less control over the apps in its Play store and some Android apps have contained malware in the past, Jones said.

Moreover, Android devices are made by many manufacturers and use different version of Google’s operating system, said Ojas Rege, vice president of strategy at Mobile Iron, another mobile-device-security company. By contrast, Apple and BlackBerry make all of their own devices, simplifying the challenge, he said.

Buying Divide “will help Google build security and control into the Android operating system,” said Jones, the Canalys analyst. “This is a smart move and probably something Google should have done earlier.”

Divide and Mobile Iron are among several mobile-device-management companies that help corporate-tech staffers keep employee smartphones and tablets secure in the workplace. These services help companies track how mobile devices are being used, control what apps are downloaded by employees, update apps with the latest versions, check for viruses and other security threats and remotely wipe devices if needed.

Google should benefit from bringing some of these capabilities in house, Jones said.
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-19-14 at 02:12 PM.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and morganplus8 like this.
    05-19-14 01:38 PM
    Oh No. No Good.
    LoL
    It is a holiday in canada.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-temp.png
    bungaboy, snejpa, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-19-14 01:39 PM
    and officially eh!?!?!?!?!?
    I am noticing Blackberry team is lot more aggressive recently, in terms of security claims, future cash flow positive and now "Android Ready". They are checking most of our wish lists IMO.
    I also like their ideas of country specific phones with option of local languages and apps.
    I have tested new BB 10.3 os with new android run time. it handled almost any android app i tried on it.
    Thought I would post some goodness from BlackBerry Indonesia site on this subject:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture2.jpg

Thanks to FOR RIM, the original poster:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10372719
    05-19-14 02:08 PM
    05-19-14 02:09 PM
    From eWeek:

BlackBerry Z3 �Jakarta� Is a Small but Noteworthy Sales Success

NEWS ANALYSIS: The Z3, BlackBerry's first new phone under Chen, appears to be selling well. Which is a small but important step forward.

BlackBerry Z3 Jakarta� Is a Small but Noteworthy Sales Success
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 12 others like this.
    05-19-14 05:25 PM
    Is 'misreporting' your phone of choice equal to publishing a false statement 'that is damaging to a person's reputation.'? Or in legal terms, libelous?

Last month in the UK the Daily Mail had to make an announcement abut the 'misreported' phone in one of its stories. They had incorrectly identified the phone in question as a BlackBerry but printed a correction saying it was in fact an iPhone. Further, the lost iPhone was replaced by the owner with a BlackBerry.

Kent firefighters rescue Ella-Anne Birchenough, 16, who got stuck in drain trying to retrieve lost cellphone | National Post

And now, the New York Times has published a similar correction:

Correction: May 19, 2014

An article in some editions on Thursday about a Democratic primary debate involving Representative Charles B. Rangel, State Senator Adriano D. Espaillat and the Rev. Michael A. Walrond misidentified the type of cellphone Mr. Rangel held up at the start of the event. It was an iPhone, not a BlackBerry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/ny...w-nytimes&_r=0
    05-19-14 06:17 PM
    What the hell is up with the stock these days?? Seems like good news all around, but the stock just keeps taking hits... I don't get it. Waiting for reports or what?
    05-19-14 08:09 PM
    Google just bought a company that builds two separate work spaces in Android...a la BB10.

Google Buys an Enterprise Android Company, Divide (Formerly Known as Enterproid) | Re/code
    I don't understand how Apple gets mentioned as the company businesses prefer because it's more "secure" and BlackBerry who already offer BlackBerry Balance, does it very well, and has the security aspect locked down, doesn't get mentioned once. What is this? I can't even... :S

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    05-19-14 08:51 PM
    I don't understand how Apple gets mentioned as the company businesses prefer because it's more "secure" and BlackBerry who already offer BlackBerry Balance, does it very well, and has the security aspect locked down, doesn't get mentioned once. What is this? I can't even... :S

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    Because they don't know BlackBerry still exists?

BBQ10
    05-20-14 02:06 AM
    What the hell is up with the stock these days?? Seems like good news all around, but the stock just keeps taking hits... I don't get it. Waiting for reports or what?
    Anybody??

I haven't really been following this thread lately, so I'm not sure where you guys are at... Is it still generally stock talk, or what?
    bondary likes this.
    05-20-14 02:17 AM
    Anybody??
    I haven't really been following this thread lately, so I'm not sure where you guys are at... Is it still generally stock talk, or what?
    Maybe the news are just not good enough. Was/ is the Z3 launch successful? Nobody knows exactly and uncertainty is never good for the stock price.
    Let's wait and see.

We will see a lot of new producs from BB from summer to the end of the year:
    - a software surprise in the summer (think BBM for desktop)
    - Classic device
    - Windemere device
    - Special medical device
    - BES 12, BES in the cloud.
    - BBM for WP8
    - New high end full Touchscreen announcement
    - BB10 10.3 launch.
    ... and more?
    All of this in a time range of lets say 6 months.
    This should create enough momentum to move the SP up - if the launches are well orchestrated and supported by a marketing campaign.
    But BB needs some momentum first to build a marketing campaign on top.
    jxnb, rarsen, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    05-20-14 02:54 AM
    Maybe the news are just not good enough. Was/ is the Z3 launch successful? Nobody knows exactly and uncertainty is never good for the stock price.
    Let's wait and see.

We will see a lot of new producs from BB from summer to the end of the year:
    - a software surprise in the summer (think BBM for desktop)
    - Classic device
    - Windemere device
    - Special medical device
    - BES 12, BES in the cloud.
    - BBM for WP8
    - New high end full Touchscreen announcement
    - BB10 10.3 launch.
    ... and more?
    All of this in a time range of lets say 6 months.
    This should create enough momentum to move the SP up - if the launches are well orchestrated and supported by a marketing campaign.
    But BB needs some momentum first to build a marketing campaign on top.
    even if Z3 launch sucessful...but the early production number are still small...25.000 unit and in their launch event they offer huge discount $50 discount for $200 phone price. i think BB just testing the water...see if it building healthy demand for the next 2-3 months before they increase Z3 production number

BB main focus right now are new BES, and BBM, not the device. the stock price will rebound if BES and BBM sucessful...
    05-20-14 03:02 AM
    Hi Morgan!!!

Will we continue this sideways "action" until there's actual news? There are only 4 weeks left before we have another earnings results to potentially trigger our move up to 9 dollars like you suggested.. though TA is suggesting a move could happen much sooner? What are your thoughts on volume lately?

I read there's another annual general meeting next month (source: article on Bert Nordberg stepping down from the board next month) although I can't find a firm date on BlackBerry's website. If anyone does find it, please let us know?! :-)

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-20-14 04:57 AM
    Ok, found it. Apparently on June 19th, the day of their Q1 results their AGM will take place.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-20-14 05:36 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security file, alluring to the lost of confidence in American IT products -- maybe time to start opening eyes to a recognized supplier of secure smartphones and systems:

Cisco CEO warns Obama NSA 'load stations' threaten the entire tech industry | ZDNet
    05-20-14 06:41 AM
    even if Z3 launch sucessful...but the early production number are still small...25.000 unit and in their launch event they offer huge discount $50 discount for $200 phone price. i think BB just testing the water...see if it building healthy demand for the next 2-3 months before they increase Z3 production number

BB main focus right now are new BES, and BBM, not the device. the stock price will rebound if BES and BBM sucessful...
    with Foxconn the upside for success in phone sales has been reduced(as has the risk), because no doubt Foxconn will get their slice of the profits. so, phone sales maybe less of a driver for the share price now than before...
    05-20-14 06:56 AM
    05-20-14 07:07 AM
    Slightly OT: Security related

Frontline’s damning investigation proves your secrets aren’t safe

John Doyle
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Tuesday, May. 20 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
    Last updated Monday, May. 19 2014, 2:33 PM EDT

The babble goes on. And on and on. Social media and e-mail make us chatty, catty and flippant.

Me, I assume – like most of us – that somebody, somewhere, has the ability to look at what I write, even privately. What would the snoopers see? Well, sarcastic remarks about English soccer players and even more sarcastic remarks about the CBC. Expressions of worship for FC Barcelona. Sometimes, civil and literate discussion of matters Irish – writers, books, plays. All of it boring babble, really.

Part of the issue with the snooping is that we have become accustomed to being followed online by commercial enterprises. Last year when I realized that a certain favourite type of Jockey underwear was being taken off the market, I did some online looking for it. And, for months, it seemed, Jockey underwear followed me as I surfed the Internet, researching all kinds of things. Not an unnerving experience, but amusing. It just happens.

There is nothing amusing about what Edward Snowden revealed. The mass invasion of privacy, the constant, mind-boggling collection of data, is the biggest issue of our time. We should never underestimate what Snowden did.

Frontline: United States of Secrets (PBS, 10 p.m.) is part of Frontline’s excellent and damning investigation into the U.S. National Security Agency’s surveillance campaign. This program examines how the NSA got all that data and, in particular, the secret relationship between Silicon Valley and the National Security Agency.

It opens with a vivid description of Edward Snowden’s meeting with Glenn Greenwald of the Guardian, and others, in Hong Kong. Also, there were the Guardian’s Ewen MacAskill and filmmaker Laura Poitras. As MacAskill describes it, Snowden was horrified when MacAskill pulled out an iPhone. “Get that out of the room as quickly as possible,” Snowden snapped.

Then the reporters began to assess what information Snowden had, and how toxic it might be. As it is explained to us, a key moment was when Snowden showed them a document, a direction to Verizon to turn customers’ phone records over to the NSA. Right there, they knew they had stunning news to report.

What Snowden revealed contradicted what the NSA had said. It had denied it gathered the communications of ordinary citizens. Greenwald speculates that the NSA’s denial was, for Snowden, the final straw. He knew the truth.

The meat of the program is an attempt to answer these questions – how did tech giants react when the government asked them to turn over data on millions of ordinary American citizens? And how much do companies like Google, Facebook and Yahoo really know about you? The answers are deeply troubling. It emerges that such companies as AT&T and Verizon see themselves as in partnership with the U.S. government. As one tech expert says, “No one at these companies is losing sleep about this issue.”

We are told about one small Web-hosting company that received an order from the NSA to reveal a ton of information. No judge had issued the order. And the company CEO was told that he could not even tell another person that he had received the order. That same year, we’re told, the FBI had issued more than 50,000 of those orders.

It seems that no tech company – Google, Yahoo and others – ever challenged the orders. They complied. And the point is made that while the NSA was asking for data, the big Internet companies were busy compiling data for their own commercial reasons. Collusion made perfect sense because the data were already being collected. In another context, what Google does to your e-mail would be called a “wiretap.” But in the contemporary Internet world, the idea of privacy has disappeared.

This Frontline is must-see TV. Disturbing and creepy, it forces you to rethink what social media is and where it takes us. There we are, being all chatty and catty and flippant. And very foolish as we do it.
    05-20-14 07:10 AM
    Hi Morgan!!!

Will we continue this sideways "action" until there's actual news? There are only 4 weeks left before we have another earnings results to potentially trigger our move up to 9 dollars like you suggested.. though TA is suggesting a move could happen much sooner? What are your thoughts on volume lately?

I read there's another annual general meeting next month (source: article on Bert Nordberg stepping down from the board next month) although I can't find a firm date on BlackBerry's website. If anyone does find it, please let us know?! :-)

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi_!!

I'm still following you guys here, I have been busy at the lake lately but I always take time to read this thread! BBRY is suffering from a case of neglect, the volumes are below 5 MM and the price action is clearly supportive at the recent lows of $ 7.16/shr, it drops back, trading dries up, it moves slightly higher and we basically move sideways awaiting some news. I drew a band of support in this chart, in the low $ 7.00's:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-may-19-2014.png

The descending blue line is what we are dropping back from, we need to clear that line and when you factor in support at the double lines we are approaching another pivotal moment within the next few days. By the end of this week, we are going to be wedged into a corner on this chart. So far, the trading is neutral with the news being slightly positive for me. I hope the $ 7.00/shr level holds and we pop from there, the last ER killed the rally in its tracks, let's hope Chen has something to say that points to stability in at least one sector of the business. We can't afford to take another revenue hit like the last one so I would suspect that many are on the sidelines until we see that number stop eroding. To summarize, you have a chart pattern that requires a decision in direction over the next few days coupled with a huge, defining ER in the next month that will keep investors out of this stock, something has to give soon here.

I feel more confident every day that BlackBerry will come roaring back, but, I have stated in the past that we won't see any real price movement in the stock until the Fall. Best of luck and keep up the fantastic posts gang!!

FYI - The date is June 19th for our next ER.
    bungaboy, Corbu, W Hoa and 14 others like this.
    05-20-14 07:35 AM
    "While a four-hour tour of stores in Jakarta last week found no lines for, and relatively little shopper interest in, the phone, BlackBerry said in a blog post that the Z3 had attracted substantial interest and had sold out by Friday. It did not provide any sales figures."

BlackBerry Ltd’s partnership with Foxconn signals shifting priorities | Financial Post
    05-20-14 08:37 AM
    Some one commented on SA site.

"
    @author, Z3 is expected in India, Phillipines and Thailand no later than June. Indonesia google trends on z3 vs moto g & moto e is highly encouraging. Considering 2 authorized partners for z3 that have 20 dealers each in Jakarta, a run rate of 700 devices sold per day per dealer leads to 28k sold per day. And this is just Jakarta. If this run rate tapers to avg 15k per day, we're talking 450k per month or 1.3 mil per quarter. So range of sell-through expected is between 1.3 and 2.5 mil. Rest of Indonesia is another story. Conservative addressable market is 36 mil for 2014."

There's is another comment . 6100 rupees is about $100.
    [url]https://www.zauba.com/[/url
    https://www.zauba.com/import-blackberry-z3-hs-code.html
    "Zauba website lists the wholesale value for new z3 device at 6,105 INR. This site tracks India's imports. For example type in the word z10 blackberry and you will see all imported products. Very useful to see the increased amount of z10 being imported during the past two months. Highest dollar value as compared to prior 2 years. Blackberry imported 18 z3 devices on April 22 to India for testing purposes showing the value of 6,105 INR. Author please review this website and share your thoughts on its relevance to checking bb recovery process."

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Last edited by sidhuk; 05-20-14 at 09:22 AM.
    Mr BBRY, La Emperor, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    05-20-14 08:44 AM
    05-20-14 08:50 AM
    On the NantHealth front:

An indication of the size of BlackBerry's investment?

NantHealth raised $135 million from three investors, according to an SEC filing. The amount almost certainly includes the $100 million NantHealth raised last month from the Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA), that country’s sovereign investment fund, as well as the investment Blackberry contributed in April 2014. The SEC filing notes that there were three investors in the round. This latest round brings NantHealth’s total announced funding to about $166 million.
    http://mobihealthnews.com/33195/nant...it-two-others/
    sidhuk, zyben, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    05-20-14 09:50 AM
    Credit Suisse pleads guilty in tax case - May. 19, 2014

Nice.

Now stop downgrading BBRY you cheats.
    05-20-14 10:02 AM
113,256 ... 26152616261726182619 ...