View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    HaH! BlackBerry can't even get a band to play for them. Dead Company! DOA! Too Little Too Late!
    Could have at least got these guys. LoL

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1374301_656374607729155_1144791122_n.jpg
    sidhuk and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-18-14 05:09 PM
    Good deal on Blackberry 1.8 Amp Micro-USB Folding Travel Chargers for Canucks. 3 pack for $11.95!!

http://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-3-PACKS-Original-Genuine-PlayBook/dp/B00K8HY132/ref=pd_sbs_w_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EVWBRR47Q3HBZ9R4FF1
    05-18-14 05:24 PM
    Good deal on Blackberry 1.8 Amp Micro-USB Folding Travel Chargers for Canucks. 3 pack for $11.95!!

http://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-3-PACKS-Original-Genuine-PlayBook/dp/B00K8HY132/ref=pd_sbs_w_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EVWBRR47Q3HBZ9R4FF1
    Thanks Ken. Just ordered more! Great deal.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    05-18-14 05:40 PM

Lol.
    Bad influence.
    I remember these were charging the phone pretty fast.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140518_174413.png

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-18-14 05:45 PM
    Lol.
    Bad influence.
    I remember these were charging the phone pretty fast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140518_174413.png 
Views:	1970 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	271766

See your one and raise you two. LoL

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140518_202211.png
    sidhuk likes this.
    05-18-14 06:25 PM
    Standard fare from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/te...hift.html?_r=0

BlackBerry’s Partnership With Foxconn Signals Shifting Priorities

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesians have long loved BlackBerry devices. When the company introduced a new phone two and a half years ago, a crowd at shopping mall here became so unruly — in part because of a half-price offer for the first 1,000 buyers — that riot police were rushed in to stand by.

But even in Indonesia, BlackBerry’s fortunes have changed. Last week, when the company started selling the Z3, a smartphone it made specifically for this market, consumers reacted with a collective shrug.

Nevertheless, the arrival of the Z3, a touch-screen device mainly notable for its budget-friendly $190 price, signals a new path for the struggling company. BlackBerry, like most phone makers, has long contracted out the manufacturing of its phones, but the Z3 has also been designed and distributed by Foxconn Technology Group, the Taiwanese manufacturer.

BlackBerry’s partnership with Foxconn, a company perhaps best known as a builder of iPhones and iPads, comes at a critical time for BlackBerry. Although sales of the company’s devices have plummeted globally in recent years, the revenue from the phone business remains vital as John S. Chen, BlackBerry’s chairman and chief executive, tries to shift the organization’s focus to services and software.

By reaching a deal with Foxconn, Mr. Chen may have bought himself some time — if only a little.

“John Chen is just sustaining the handset business as he sorts out the way ahead,” said Nick Spencer, an analyst with ABI Research in London.

“But at these low volumes, you wonder about BlackBerry’s viability. Consumer electronics is about scale,” he added.

During its last quarter, the company sold 1.3 million phones, compared with six million during the same period a year earlier. But without the phone business, BlackBerry would be a significantly smaller company. In the last quarter, the ailing hardware business still generated 37 percent of BlackBerry’s $976 million in revenue. A year earlier, phones accounted for 61 percent of $2.7 billion in sales.

While Foxconn can’t do anything to reverse BlackBerry’s popularity slide, the partnership will eliminate several financial uncertainties for Mr. Chen.

A large portion of the $5.9 billion loss that BlackBerry reported for last year came from writing off unsold phones and unneeded phone parts. Foxconn now assumes that risk.

In an interview last week in Jakarta, Mr. Chen offered his theory about Foxconn’s interest in the partnership. “Sixty to 75 percent of all phones is common parts,” Mr. Chen said. “Things that we order and that they don’t use, they can be used somewhere else. They could be in an H.P. printer or a Canon whatever or a Dell computer or an iPhone and vice versa.”

Two representatives for Foxconn declined to comment directly on its relationship with BlackBerry. “We are focused on supporting our customers by providing services such as research and development, design, manufacturing and logistics support,” the company said in a statement. “Moving up the value chain to provide a full suite of services has been our ongoing strategy.”

Michael J. Palma, an electronics manufacturing services analyst at IDC, said that by no longer sourcing parts by itself, BlackBerry will benefit from Foxconn’s buying power while having a clearer idea of the final cost of handsets from the outset. “I think that’s smart,” he added.

Foxconn will also help BlackBerry shorten development cycles. BlackBerry has a long history of being slow to develop new products — BlackBerry 10, its most recent flagship product, was repeatedly delayed.

Mr. Chen said BlackBerry employees handled the software development for the Z3 and supervised Foxconn’s work on its hardware in a process that took four months. “This is probably the fastest in the industry,” he said.

(Mr. Palma said although Apple typically takes a year to develop new iPhones, many companies now turn around new models in three to six months. Also, Indonesian wireless carriers are faster to approve new models than their American counterparts.)

It also is a fortuitous time for Foxconn. Mr. Palma said BlackBerry was dealing with a Foxconn subsidiary, Foxconn International Holdings, which is known in the industry as F.I.H. The subsidiary, however, has been struggling. In the past, the subsidiary’s main client was Nokia, another company whose phones have fallen out of favor with consumers. (Nokia is now part of Microsoft.)

Mr. Palma said F.I.H. had since turned mainly to small phone companies in China for its business. “BlackBerry becomes a nice add-on,” he added.

Mr. Chen offered his opinion of what Foxconn hopes to gain.

Profits from manufacturing, a highly competitive business, are slim. But by developing its design and engineering business, Mr. Chen said, Foxconn was “starting to get more and more into the value-added part of the equation.”

The automobile industry moved in a similar direction several years ago. Large parts suppliers, like Magna International of Aurora, Ontario, now design and engineer the parts, and even produce full systems like interiors and wiring.

Despite what he views as the success of the Z3’s development, Mr. Chen said BlackBerry would continue to design the hardware and software for more expensive phones aimed at the European and North American markets, at least for now.

As for BlackBerry’s slump in Indonesia, several analysts say the blame rests largely on the company. IDC estimates BlackBerry’s market share in Indonesia was 4 percent during the first quarter of this year, down from 25 percent a year earlier.

The company’s BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM, instant messaging service remains exceptionally popular in Indonesia. But once BBM became available on Android phones, many Indonesians decided they could do without BlackBerry handsets, said Ryan Lai, an IDC analyst in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

“Cheaper handsets and a larger apps ecosystem also pulled Indonesian consumers toward Android,” he said.

The Z3 may be less costly than previous BlackBerry offerings, but that may not be enough. Ruby Alamsyah, an independent technology analyst in Jakarta, said that Android phones now are sold in Indonesia for as little as the equivalent of $88, less than half the price of the Z3.

“I think the Z3, with the optional engraving of ‘Jakarta’ on the back, is only a marketing gimmick,” he said. “They still want to recover in the Indonesian market but I don’t think they’ll get it back if the price is still higher than most cheap Androids.”
    rarsen and jxnb like this.
    05-18-14 07:25 PM
    NYT Hogwash. No offence or disrespect to the pigs of the world.
    Corbu, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    05-18-14 07:43 PM
    NYT Hogwash. No offence or disrespect to the pigs of the world.
    Shshshsh. This is for nay sayers..gotta keep the balance. Gotta keep happy the masters.
    For your info. BlackBerry sold 1.3 million phones last quarter.
    Hahahahaha.
    Name Jakarta is gimmick.
    People shrugged the z3.
    Gonna have another glass of wine.
    Cheers.

Corbu, jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    05-18-14 07:55 PM
    Garnok.

So what I understood from your post and plz correct me if I am wrong.
    1. Only 2000 z3 units for the grand opening for the entire city of Jakarta. Or for the entire country.
    2. Grand opening was only at the Blackberry stores.

The one thing I am confused about from your quote that," BB Store" "are"?
    Only one blackberry store or more than one?
    Grand opening was at one blackberry store or multiple?
    Thanks in advance.

1. 2.000 unit only available on launch event in central park mall , still no confirmation for Z3 nationwide sales number

2. no, the launch event not taking places on BB store, it is on main lobby central park, BB build temporary stage for 3 days promotion.

if im not wrong there are 6 - 7 BB store, other BB store also selling Z3 but they dont have special promotion and special event.
    sidhuk, mornhavon, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    05-18-14 09:24 PM

IMO. The best ever BlackBerry advertisement.
    Or for any phone?
    Blackberry Revenge.
    Video: BlackBerry Revenge - BerryReview
    "Do you think your world is safe..." Wow. That's a great advertisement.

I think that security and even more privacy is becoming more and more important issue, even in the view of the consumer.
    Two examples: The latest issue of the ct-Magazine (Germans most reputed computer magazine) has a large article about how to avoid Google. Yes avoid. Google services, Browser, Android and so on. Google is a data kraken and in the view of many people today (at least here in Germany). Two days ago I read a large article in the S�ddeutsche Zeitung - same topic. So there is a discussion right now and I hope BlackBerry can benefit from it.
    jxnb, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    05-19-14 02:49 AM
    It was him and his female band - The most surprising thing to me was how good a guitar player he is - amazing stuff.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Don't be fooled, Rogers is (almost) as good with any instrument. He's a rare drummer, flies on the Bass and turns any keyboard machine into a dream. Genius he is.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-19-14 at 03:58 AM.
    05-19-14 03:14 AM
    This is an honest question then: what exactly is this particular thread for ? I'm not being funny - it's an honest question.

It's my observation that it's become a sort of lobby as a result of it being the largest thread, but it's also regularly full of all sorts of different comments and conversations. It was my understanding that its purpose was to discuss issues that affect the SP, vitality of the company, etc.

'I support BBRY and I buy shares' is a statement and not entirely self explanatory, so I do hope I'll be forgiven for not being certain of what is on topic or off topic.

What I have noticed is that if things are off topic or on topic, and critical or raise serious concerns, they tend to be hissed at by some people as trolling comments, etc., etc., but if things are effusively positive or even delusional they get more hearts than a pretty girl on valentines day.

This recent furore over the silly thermostat ad was the result of a few people attacking me for not understanding the hidden meaning of the ad, when in fact they had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

Anyway, to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with not posting 'OT' comments in here, and making the majority of my comments elsewhere (the Armchair CEO section was actually created because of comments I made a long time ago).

I would still love to get a clear idea of exactly what IS on topic in this thread.

I think it's in danger of becoming a sort of cult in here (not referring to you), and I do hope folks don't end up losing too much money as a result of only listening to what they want to hear. The world isn't separated into us and idiots in the media or on Wall Street who just don't get it...although there are some very promising things going in, there are some BIG holes in the current BlackBerry approach, and no amount of charts (in all honesty, how helpful or predictive have the actually been?) and bird entrails are going to help us make informed investment decisions if we ignore that.

As I said, I would honestly appreciate a clear bit of guidance as to what is On Topic in this thread, and I will certainly oblige you (as you started the thread) by not writing anything off topic. Have a good weekend.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    Virtually, anything BlackBerry has an impact over the SP, that's where our "exercice" here is a bit tricky.
    I try to be as much as possible a friendly "guide" to keep the thread running (so far, so good) and prevent the "police" to drop in and whisle. I'm not a machine - then it's flawed by nature - and I have no power besides some friendly reminders and soft alerts. So we might believe anything "OT" is welcome here by nature. But, at the same time (I did have to warn about other stocks, by instance) OT must keep a relatively light % of posts.

So, as I tried to write previously, it's not that much about the ideas or thematic, it's about volume.
    Again, it's nothing personal either; but if anyone believing the problem is solely one aspect of the strategy (marketing, communication, finance, HR, R&D, ...) spoils the pages; we'll be back in a situation we've known before, turning this thread into a battlefield and personal attacks. We've been previously under heavy mods surveillance (thanks, guys) because of that and these were hard times.

So what could we do to fit you all ? That's a tough question.
    Personnally, I'd suggest to create a thread out of here and then cross-link it here.
    You'll get both (I presume) desired aspects; inform those who are BBRY interested and let them decide if this specific aspect catches their eyes.

Have a nice week gang !
    Cheers
    SF
    dusdal, jxnb, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    05-19-14 03:30 AM
    "Do you think your world is safe..." Wow. That's a great advertisement.

I think that security and even more privacy is becoming more and more important issue, even in the view of the consumer.
    Two examples: The latest issue of the ct-Magazine (Germans most reputed computer magazine) has a large article about how to avoid Google. Yes avoid. Google services, Browser, Android and so on. Google is a data kraken and in the view of many people today (at least here in Germany). Two days ago I read a large article in the S�ddeutsche Zeitung - same topic. So there is a discussion right now and I hope BlackBerry can benefit from it.
    In Letter to Obama, Cisco CEO Complains About NSA Allegations http://on.recode.net/1p3rWOK

bungaboy and zyben like this.
    05-19-14 08:09 AM
    I think blackberry is doing enough to make this z3 successful in that country. Beside early discount they are giving away some z3 exclusive apps too.
    http://utbblogs.com/news/oh-those-lucky-z3-owners/

bungaboy and zyben like this.
    05-19-14 08:16 AM
    I think blackberry is doing enough to make this z3 successful in that country. Beside early discount they are giving away some z3 exclusive apps too.
    http://utbblogs.com/news/oh-those-lucky-z3-owners/

Don't forget this...
    http://instagram.com/p/oA1YAkrPeZ/
    bungaboy, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    05-19-14 08:43 AM
    Nothing major but nice to see nonetheless:

Pope Wainwright � Blog � London design studio

BBM & Virgin Atlantic Collaboration 28.04.14

BlackBerrry Messenger has collaborated with Virgin Atlantic on a campaign designed by Pope Wainwright. Using the core identity from BBM, we promoted visibility of the Virgin Atlantic BBM Channel by working across graphics, digital and product.

Pope Wainwright designed an in-flight magazine and video campaign for Virgin Atlantic, alongside universal charging docks for the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse.

The charging points have an advanced product language with pop colour and lighting to draw awareness to BBM. The unique design integrates seamlessly within the Virgin Clubhouse. The goal was to create standout appeal for the Virgin BBM channel whilst respecting the integrity of the premium VIP experience.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbm-virgin-atlantic1.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbm-virgin-atlantic.jpg

Last edited by Corbu; 05-19-14 at 10:03 AM.
    bungaboy, jxnb, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    05-19-14 09:28 AM
    BlackBerry to launch three new phones in Brazil - Telecompaper

BlackBerry plans to launch three new phones in the Brazilian market, with one of the models being the BlackBerry Classic, presented as the Q20 earlier this year during the Mobile World Congress. The other two devices have not been revealed by BlackBerry, but in an interview with Terra, the company's director for Latin America, Jorge Aguiar said that one of them will be aimed at consumers who are buying their first smartphone, but will not be the Z3. According to the director, the company is still deciding whether the smartphones that will be sold in the country will be produced locally or imported.
    For our Portugese readers, out there...
    http://tecnologia.terra.com.br/celul...154d0RCRD.html
    sidhuk, W Hoa, zyben and 9 others like this.
    05-19-14 09:32 AM
    OT:

News Alert
    Habs' Carey Price out for Cup series after Game 1 injury

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...east-1.2647317

This breaking story will appear soon at CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
    sidhuk, rarsen, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-19-14 10:34 AM
    Z3 being marketed as "Android Ready" in Indonesia.

https://twitter.com/jt_teran/status/468413220277850112
    sidhuk, bungaboy, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-19-14 10:37 AM
    OT:

News Alert
    Habs' Carey Price out for Cup series after Game 1 injury
    Thanks for the heads up, bungaboy.

Man, that's a tough blow. That 25th one will be harder to get... Let's hope for the best!
    bungaboy, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    05-19-14 10:56 AM
    More OT:

While we are on the subject of sports, this one is for Superfly:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c000107da_79551fe0-df26-11e3-94e8-0200ac177853.png
    bungaboy, jxnb, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    05-19-14 11:05 AM
    Z3 being marketed as "Android Ready" in Indonesia.

https://twitter.com/jt_teran/status/468413220277850112
    and officially eh!?!?!?!?!?
    I am noticing Blackberry team is lot more aggressive recently, in terms of security claims, future cash flow positive and now "Android Ready". They are checking most of our wish lists IMO.
    I also like their ideas of country specific phones with option of local languages and apps.
    I have tested new BB 10.3 os with new android run time. it handled almost any android app i tried on it.
    05-19-14 11:09 AM
    05-19-14 11:13 AM
    Google just bought a company that builds two separate work spaces in Android...a la BB10.

Google Buys an Enterprise Android Company, Divide (Formerly Known as Enterproid) | Re/code
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    05-19-14 11:38 AM
    OT for after-hours silliness as part of Related Technologies but part of my reading on a Statuary Holiday in Canada, from a Energy & Capital investment article sent by E-mail (very sorry for the long post but the only way to share for the inquiring minds):

Sex with a what!?
    By Jason Stutman | Monday, May 19th, 2014
    Would you have sex with a robot?
    This was one of the questions posed to 2,000 members of the British public in a study being performed by researchers at the University of Middlesex.
    The aim of the study was to gain insight into the common attitudes of humans towards technology.
    Participants answered questions regarding a wide range of subjects from military drones to robotic pets, but the concept of robotic sex slaves is admittedly what stood out the most.
    Extraordinarily, one in every six respondents admitted they would choose to �have sex with an android� if given the opportunity. For a comparable reference, that's more than double the prevalence of homosexuality in today's society.
    If that weirds you out a bit, you're not alone. Nearly 41% of respondents felt that the concept of having sex with a robot is �creepy,� and 14% felt it wasn't appropriate to make robots for this purpose at all.
    Naturally, this raises questions about whether or not it's even possible for robotics to fill such a role. Sexual intercourse is one of the most (if not the single most) intimate experiences humans can have. Could technology really have that much influence over our lives?
    And if so, what does this say about the role of robotics in future society?
    Cupid's Arrow
    In some sense, we've already reached this point of integration. Last year, telecommunication experts found that 15% of adults were having less sex as a result of extended Internet use.
    Like it or not, we're developing a love affair with technology, and it's proving enough to subdue even the most powerful of human instincts.
    This love affair extends well beyond our sexual desires, though � it's become part of our everyday lives. Robotics are especially being integrated into the grocery store, the workplace, and even our homes.
    And the more we make use of these technologies, the more reliant on them we will become.
    Just the other week, I was enjoying the company of friends at a barbecue when a small green robotic lawn mower glided right past my feet. Our host bragged that this was the �Rolls-Royce of robot lawn mowers,� and he wasn't kidding, either.
    Dubbed the �Robomow,� this little bot was both efficient and quiet. It even knew how to navigate around us all as we moved about the lawn.
    Of course, the price tag wasn't cheap � the Robomow retails at around $2,000. For some, that might seem like a lot to spend, but when you put it into perspective, it's well worth the investment.
    My friend was quick to point out that he'll never have to mow his lawn again, nor will he have to pay someone to do it for him.
    It's not uncommon for a household to spend upwards of $1,000 dollars a year on bare-bones landscaping, so a robotic mower could pay itself off in as little as two years.
    Of course, we'll have to wait for a bush-trimming robot before our yard maintenance is completely automated � but I can assure you that, too, is on its way.
    Getting Screwed... By a Robot
    The breadth of robotic capability today is far greater than many people know. We've developed machines capable of playing table tennis, solving Rubik's cubes, washing floors, serving food, and even performing emergency rescue.
    In a not-too-distant future, automated software and robotics will be used to accomplish nearly any task you can think of. Household chores, driving, and yes, even sex, will be performed by machines.
    At this point, our reliance on automation has become nearly irreversible. Recent research coming from Oxford this month predicts that as much as 45% of American jobs will be automated within the next 20 years.
    The frightening reality is that politicians can legislate recovery acts all they want, but there's no bill capable of reversing technological processes. Unemployment will rise, and the economy will suffer.
    Perhaps the most legitimate concern surrounding increased automation is that wealth will become even more concentrated into the hands of a select group of individuals � specifically those who control the machines.
    Economist Noah Smith recently wrote a compelling piece for Quartz magazine, arguing that robots will soon bring about �social upheaval on a scale not seen since the invention of the musket.�
    Smith argues that as robots become more and more sophisticated, the average person will begin to fade into insignificance. Eventually, he sees the financial elite using automated drones to exercise complete control over the masses.
    Now, I'll hold my tongue as to the likelihood of this dystopian vision ever becoming a reality, but I am willing to say that now, more than ever before, the financial stability of the American working class is at risk.
    You can forget being outsourced overseas � you're about to be replaced right here at home. And while it's ultimately not my intention to scare you, it's important you know these events will sneak up on us a lot sooner than you might think.
    bungaboy, Corbu, zyben and 3 others like this.
    05-19-14 11:39 AM
113,251 ... 26142615261626172618 ...