View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Great read:

Why CEO John Chen believes BlackBerry will win the battle for survival - The Economic Times

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/34827701.cms

Lots of "juicy bits' lol

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 05-09-14 at 06:56 AM.
    05-09-14 06:35 AM
    OT: wow another roller coaster day for all stocks including bio stocks... hey morgan when you have a few mins can you provide an update as to what is happening with the bio stocks and $halo? are you still holding? thanks in advance
    Hi jmehta22!!! OT ALERT!!!!

What happened yesterday? I looked at my string of stocks and all of them were green until lunch-time, then the sell-off came. BlackBerry held up the best of the bunch yesterday managing to stay positive while just about everything else turned negative. The IBB and the NBI Biotech Indexes are made up of mostly large Biotech stocks and those Indexes went from support to the lows of the day. The Biotech Sector is getting hammered lately, we are looking at testing recent lows and the IBB is sitting right on it's 200-dma and looking to breakdown. And so against that back drop, I have added to my HALO, I still hold all of my other choices too, even ACAD went on a wild ride yesterday, trading at $ 20.00 in the morning and closing down at $ 18.00/shr and at the low by the end of the day. These stocks are being sold as a basket, perhaps some of the Biotech Funds are
    getting redemptions/margin calls, I don't know why they are being so hard hit. The fact that some Funds still hold huge profits doesn't help things either.

I was at the lake yesterday and really didn't pay attention to stocks, as I mentioned, I still hold all of my favs and have added to a couple of them. This will blow over and the recovery will be fast. Let's see what they do to the Indexes today, GL.
    05-09-14 07:35 AM
    OT: HALO ER on Monday...let's hope we get some news. Seems like every stock I follow has been beaten down after the ER, good or bad.
    05-09-14 10:18 AM
    Here is an interesting read about stolen phones and the security risk.
    http://www.darkreading.com/mobile/1-...ampaignId=3278

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 10:49 AM
    We already know this, but just for the record:

Part of the eBBM strategy involves BBM Protected, which enables enterprise BBM users to send encrypted messages within an organization, or with BBM users are other institutions that are also using BBM Protected.

“We’re working on a series of other things that relate to BBM to continue that move to BBM in the enterprise space,” Mr. Sims said.

“That doesn’t mean to say that BBM is not important in the consumer space, it’s very important to us in the consumer space, but we also think that part of the bigger picture of monetizing BBM is monetizing it within the enterprise and leveraging it there.”
    BlackBerry Ltd’s enterprise chief says base encouraged by ‘swift action’ under CEO Chen | Financial Post
    05-09-14 11:06 AM
    I am gonna add some more BBRY. the reason is the speed that this new team is executing their plan. the speed they are working on their OS and listening to people is very very positive. I know hand full of companies who engage with people like that, succeeded. Engagement comes by nature and confidence. IMO this new team has it. this kind of attitude also attracts/brings other successful/visionary people on board.
    link to new beta BBM. very snappy. been watching hearing latest stage shows by blackberry and preview of 10.3 by Michael Clewley, these guys do Liston and execute.
    I understand The organized shorts are still around but, I feel like I should take this calculated risk now.I feel that this team has enough cash on hand to make this company successful.
    would love to hear the latest genuine negatives please. stock market is based on future.
    05-09-14 11:10 AM
    I am gonna add some more BBRY. the reason is the speed that this new team is executing their plan. the speed they are working on their OS and listening to people is very very positive. I know hand full of companies who engage with people like that, succeeded. Engagement comes by nature and confidence. IMO this new team has it. this kind of attitude also attracts/brings other successful/visionary people on board.
    link to new beta BBM. very snappy. been watching hearing latest stage shows by blackberry and preview of 10.3 by Michael Clewley, these guys do Liston and execute.
    I understand The organized shorts are still around but, I feel like I should take this calculated risk now.I feel that this team has enough cash on hand to make this company successful.
    would love to hear the latest genuine negatives please. stock market is based on future.
    I've been accused of being too negative, but I bought a bunch more shares during this recent dive as well - certainly no contradiction between buying shares and being critical of the people who are working with your money. They seem to be pretty good in some areas and pretty bad in others, but on balance I agree that they seem to be doing many of the right things and it seems as though there is quite a lot to be optimistic about.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    Shanerredflag and plasmid_boy like this.
    05-09-14 11:23 AM
    I've been accused of being too negative, but I bought a bunch more shares during this recent dive as well - certainly no contradiction between buying shares and being critical of the people who are working with your money. They seem to be pretty good in some areas and pretty bad in others, but on balance I agree that they seem to be doing many of the right things and it seems as though there is quite a lot to be optimistic about.

It is hard to not be negative, at times, with BBRY.

If they can not get their handsets in new customers hands, non of the other stuff Chen is working on will save BBRY. These third world sales are imperative to the survival of BBRY. I am holding on getting back in till we get the real facts about the sales. You would think we are asking for how many paid for their health insurance as the real phone sale numbers are still not released.
    05-09-14 11:44 AM

If they can not get their handsets in new customers hands, non of the other stuff Chen is working on will save BBRY. These third world sales are imperative to the survival of BBRY. I am holding on getting back in till we get the real facts about the sales. You would think we are asking for how many paid for their health insurance as the real phone sale numbers are still not released.
    I like that you recognise that the consumer side is still important. They don't need to gain 50% market share overnight, but they do need to aim for 5% in the short - medium term. I think that the continued importance of hardware is sometimes forgotten in the rush to believe that enterprise saves all. The world is not rational, and BlackBerry ditching hardware or continuing to fail would would be a killer. Nobody likes a loser. To be fair to BlackBerry, they clearly do see this. They know and have stated that enterprise users don't really want phones that aren't popular in the shops, and they do seem to recognise that BBMx for consumers is hugely important for brand loyalty and perception even if it doesn't make a load of money at the moment.

I actually think that the consumer device sales are likely to improve significantly over the next year as they won't have the crushing 'BlackBerry is dead' pressure weighing on them. True, the marketing will probably continue to suck, and the pricing will be ********, but I am quite bullish on the consumer device front - i think they will do well despite any marketing failings if the devices are of top quality, and I think they likely will be.

Still waiting for Z3 numbers before believing the early hype. I think the Z3 is likely to be a disappointment, not because it sells badly, but because expectations might be unrealistic to begin with. If it sells reasonably well, it's a success. I just wish they had been brave enough to launch the Z10 at a loss to promote the new OS - said so at the time, but oh well...fingers crossed...hopefully we will have good Z3 news soon...

05-09-14 12:23 PM

Did you know that when Warren Buffett bought Berkshire Hathaway, it was a textile.

Sega used to make gaming consoles.

Being profitable has nothing to do with past products. It has to do with future products that makes money.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 12:29 PM
    Oh Dear!

Apple comes clean (mostly) on government access to iPhone data

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//tech...rticle18580392

I fixed 'em!
    Last edited by bungaboy; 05-09-14 at 01:15 PM.
    05-09-14 12:57 PM
    The only have to sell 2 million BB10 phones worldwide this quarter.

How hard is that?

Also, I think it looks like we might climb into close today.

We'll definitely end the day green, at least.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    05-09-14 12:59 PM
    Oh Dear!

Apple comes clean (mostly) on government access to iPhone data

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//tech...to-iphone-data

Get that link back or I'm taking my "like" away ............... Ha!!
    05-09-14 01:04 PM
    Get that link back or I'm taking my "like" away ............... Ha!!
    Lol. I almost gave him one too .
    Oops

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    05-09-14 01:10 PM
    Lol. I almost gave him one too .
    Oops

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    You can give it now, LoL
    sidhuk and morganplus8 like this.
    05-09-14 01:18 PM
    Did you know that when Warren Buffett bought Berkshire Hathaway, it was a textile.

Being profitable has nothing to do with past products. It has to do with future products that makes money.

Posted via CB10
    Ford used to make cars...

Look, picking two companies out of many, many thousands (and the Berkshire Hathaway example isn't relevant) doesn't signify, as there are loads of examples of the opposite as well.

As for BlackBerry, they are claiming to be going back to their roots, not branching out into making bicycles or fish tanks. The new products for enterprise are basically old products, improved. For the record, I don't think that's a bad idea.

Again, I think that there is a temptation to believe in the next change of direction in the same way a gambler convinces himself that because he has failed a few times in a row, the next thing he tries is bound to be successful.

BlackBerry are not Sega. They slept while the handset city burned, and the whole company nearly died as a result. It was a company with no great level of talent in PR or mass marketing, and when they could no longer kill the competition simply by 'being the market' they got crushed. Still, they will likely win the enterprise battle, and can easily get back in the consumer game as well once the worry of bankruptcy, and the rumours and bashing pass. As you guys know, I still think they lack real PR/marketing talent, but so long as they keep producing high quality products (hardware, BBM, and enterprise), they will be fine, millions of devices will be selling again, and people will be writing article about the days when BlackBerry couldn't sell any phones.

As exciting as it is to dream about brand new sources of revenue, the fact is the the brand cannot survive a handset failure, and will strongly benefit in all areas from even a moderate level of success.

Bacon Munchers likes this.
    05-09-14 01:30 PM
    Just wanted everyone to know that BlackBerry has recently added to their sponsorships.

They have sponsored Nickta (seen below) from Waterloo on her run at Miss Universe.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-nickta.jpg

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    05-09-14 01:47 PM
    Just wanted everyone to know that BlackBerry has recently added to their sponsorships.

They have sponsored Nickta (seen below) from Waterloo on her run at Miss Universe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nickta.jpg 
Views:	1142 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	268965

Now there's something I can really get behind! Sorry........................
    05-09-14 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but I am not drinking the same koolaid that you are. No handset business will dig BBRY even a deeper hole, but I will keep your words of wit in mind for the future.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 05-09-14 at 02:20 PM.
    05-09-14 02:07 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nickta.jpg 
Views:	1142 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	268965

are you sure that's her?
    Quang.ca Photography

lets run with it.
    05-09-14 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    "Being profitable has nothing to do with past products. It has to do with future products that makes money."
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-09-14 02:14 PM
    Seems like every time I look at Nokia vs. Blackberry stock they are behaving in a very similar manner, it almost looks orchestrated:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.jpg
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-09-14 02:16 PM
    The only have to sell 2 million BB10 phones worldwide this quarter.

How hard is that?

Also, I think it looks like we might climb into close today.

We'll definitely end the day green, at least.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 02:31 PM
    "Being profitable has nothing to do with past products. It has to do with future products that makes money."
    Well, that's not encouraging. With the exception of QNX, what new future products as BlackBerry got planned ? BES 12 and BBM Protected are obviously old products improved. I just struggle match the above idea with many successful companies...

Apple...nope
    Samsung...nope
    Nike...nope
    Adidas...nope
    Mercedes...nope
    Heinz...nope

Obviously the list goes on for ages. I would guess that companies ceasing to make money from past products and switching to something else successfully are rare indeed.

BlackBerry HQ clearly are not following this path, and thank goodness. We need improved 'past' products (hardware and enterprise offerings, BBM, etc) as well as a mix of new stuff to do well (QNX and unknown future additions). I think we are in a good position in this respect.

05-09-14 02:54 PM
    Well, that's not encouraging.
    well, seems like you are buying BBRY because blackberry doesnt know difference between head and tail. I am buying bbry because i think they know what they are doing. in the end we are both buying. LoL.
    at least we have some common ground.
    it is Friday and Market is closed.
    time for a beer as a primer.
    Cheers.
    techvisor and bungaboy like this.
    05-09-14 03:07 PM
113,256 ... 26012602260326042605 ...