View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Last week's rally broke down Challenger disaster-style.

Failure to launch gave sellers free reign.

It'll be back up next week.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-07-14 02:26 PM
    Can anyone see if there were large blocks being sold today? can't seem to find the information at the moment, something must be happening as other techs arn't being hit this hard
    05-07-14 02:31 PM
    "Irrational" in either case ??
    05-07-14 02:32 PM
    File this under who knew?

It seems that data collected from your phone via wifi or bluetooth, without your knowledge or consent, but deemed 'benign' and only of general interest is being referred to as 'data exhaust'.

Location data silently emitted by the cellphones, smartphones and other electronic devices most of us carry throughout the day has triggered a new gold rush for marketers....the practice is only going to intensify as companies rush to capitalize on consumers� �data exhaust,�
    You�re being followed: New digital tracking technologies keep tabs on your every move | Financial Post
    morganplus8, sidhuk, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-07-14 02:54 PM
    In one of the forums, maybe even this one, it was revealed that the employee store isn't well stocked with those phones indicating 1) that they don't have huge stockpiles of them and 2) they are selling through what they have.

So until they bring the next new phone out dropping the prices on those phones wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    I have been told by staff that the reason that shops aren't well stocked is because the shops simply don't want the stock. They've got limited space and prefer to fill it with iPhones. Again, that's what I was told by staff (they didn't mention the iPhone by name) in two different shops in London.

Even when the Z10s were filling BlackBerry warehouses it was very hard to find shops that had them in stock. I'm not saying that that is definitely the case now, but the fact that shops haven't got the Z30 in stock in big numbers is no indication of inventory on BlackBerry's end.

Also, I really struggle to believe they the Z30 is selling through anywhere. Do you really reckon it is? I've literally never seen one in the wild.

Either way, it seems an odd strategy when word of mouth on the Z30 is so good and when getting the OS more exposure has benefits.

I'm 100% sure that shop inventory is no indicator of actually device inventory, but maybe you're right and they only made a tiny, tiny number of them. The Q10 is a different story though: we know they made a bunch of them. It's still selling for the same price as the Z30.
    Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-07-14 03:24 PM
    John Sims was in Montreal, yesterday (as part of the Blackberry Experience roadshow):

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c000f3304_17b44540-d535-11e3-be11-0200ac11f414.jpg

He gave an interview to a local business paper. Nothing spectacular, but it's better than nothing...

For those of you who read French:
    BlackBerry veut faire le plein d'utilisateurs de WhatsApp effray�s par Facebook | LesAffaires.com

For those of you who don't, here is an edited GT version:
    BlackBerry wants to woo WhatsApp users frightened by Facebook

BBM, the email application long exclusive to BlackBerry users, has found a new life since iPhone and Android versions have been launched. A Windows Phone version is on its way and BBM already has 130 million registered users, of which 85 million are active each month.

According to John Sims, president of Business Services at BlackBerry, a part of this success may be attributed to the acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook at a cost of $ 19 billion. "[WhatsApp ] users wonder why Facebook has paid so much to buy WhatsApp says John Sims. They say that if Facebook paid so much, it must have a plan to monetize that asset. This dynamic has been positive for BBM, since people have always seen BBM as an application which emphasizes confidentiality. "

BlackBerry has already started to monetize its email application, while Facebook has not introduced advertising in WhatsApp. However, the ads appear only in the "Channels", which allow BBM users to monitor feeds from news media such as MarketWatch or brands like Coca- Cola. "It was very important to keep advertising outside the messaging function, which is the main product, says John Sims. We did not want to do like Facebook, which shows advertisements within the news feed."

If BlackBerry seems to rely on confidentiality to market BBM, it is far from alone in doing so. The encrypted messaging application Telegram has amassed some 35 million users, largely due to positions taken by its creator, Russian millionaire Pavel Durov, on confidentiality. The ousted CEO of VKontakte, the "Russian Facebook" claims to have been pushed aside from VKontakte because of his refusal to share data of its users with the Russian authorities. The deposed antivirus mogul John McAfee has meanwhile launched Chadder, another encrypted messaging application, this one designed to evade surveillance of the NSA, a constant concern for the businessman.

While BBM is also encrypted, BlackBerry does not intend to compete with these applications in the consumer market. Since the company abides by the laws of the countries where it does business, it provides its users’ data when required by law.

However, the company is preparing a more robust encrypted messaging product for businesses called BBM Protected. With this product, to be launched in June, corporate users will be able to send messages without any worry, since only their recipients’ phones will have the encryption key. "Governments that want to access these messages will have to ask the companies directly, since without the encryption key, even BlackBerry will not be able to access them," says John Sims.
    jxnb, morganplus8, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    05-07-14 03:29 PM
    I have been told by staff that the reason that shops aren't well stocked is because the shops simply don't want the stock. They've got limited space and prefer to fill it with iPhones. Again, that's what I was told by staff (they didn't mention the iPhone by name) in two different shops in London.
    I think he meant the BlackBerry Employee store, not a third party store.
    05-07-14 03:33 PM
    I think he meant the BlackBerry Employee store, not a third party store.
    Hey, obviously I'd love for him to be right. It just seems really difficult to match with common sense and observation.

05-07-14 03:47 PM
    Hi all. I have been away, but will post my updated chart later. I am still holding my shares.

It is great to see the continued discussion here.
    05-07-14 03:48 PM
    What's the opposite of a bloodbath? April 28 BBRY had a low of $7.20. Four days later it had a high of $8.22. Now three days later again and we're pretty much back where we started. So if the downside is a bloodbath what would you, using comparable hyperbole, call the upside rise?
    Possible answers:
    Bubble? Irrational exuberance? Pump and dump?
    05-07-14 03:49 PM
    Attachment 268220

It looks like this chart is counting all mobile phones including basic mobile phones. Interestingly, they separate BB10 and BBOS. Added together, they would be 0.3% of total mobile phone sales (1.3M smartphones).
    this report might account for today's sell off...
    05-07-14 03:58 PM
    That report came in yesterday though, or perhaps even earlier.
    05-07-14 04:09 PM
    Integrating, Chris U says that Amazon has hired former BlackBerry designers which have been working on the Amazon phone.
    05-07-14 04:20 PM
    Biggest bloodbath we've had in a little while...

Anyway, I've got a question on another topic: can anyone explain the reasoning behind BlackBerry not having dropped the price of the Q10 and Z30 very much ? Obviously they aren't going to start selling in large numbers and are only getting older...assuming they aren't going to sell out the inventory, is there any good reason for them leaving them piled up in a warehouse ? it's an honest question - I'm guessing there is some kind of answer ?

Just bought a new unlocked white Q10 from Blackberry.com for $299 CAD. Great price IMO.
    05-07-14 07:09 PM
    File this under who knew?

It seems that data collected from your phone via wifi or bluetooth, without your knowledge or consent, but deemed 'benign' and only of general interest is being referred to as 'data exhaust'.

You’re being followed: New digital tracking technologies keep tabs on your every move | Financial Post
    Ho Lee Fuq!!! Where does the invasion stop?
    sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    05-07-14 07:19 PM

Even when the Z10s were filling BlackBerry warehouses it was very hard to find shops that had them in stock. I'm not saying that that is definitely the case now, but the fact that shops haven't got the Z30 in stock in big numbers is no indication of inventory on BlackBerry's end.

Also, I really struggle to believe they the Z30 is selling through anywhere. Do you really reckon it is? I've literally never seen one in the wild.

Either way, it seems an odd strategy when word of mouth on the Z30 is so good and when getting the OS more exposure has benefits.

I'm 100% sure that shop inventory is no indicator of actually device inventory, but maybe you're right and they only made a tiny, tiny number of them. The Q10 is a different story though: we know they made a bunch of them. It's still selling for the same price as the Z30.

Nope! Just bought a new unlocked white Q10 from BlackBerry.com for $299 CAD!
    sidhuk likes this.
    05-07-14 07:21 PM
    Best Zxx model will be in my hands when my contract is up.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:42 PM
    They cannot discount inventory they have to hold until the classic. I don't believe they want to (modestly) flood the stores with discounted devices they will sell before October anyway...
    I'm not sure we'll see Z10 back in production alone... not even sure for Z30 ... 100% speculation though, Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:08 PM
    They cannot discount inventory they have to hold until the classic. I don't believe they want to (modestly) flood the stores with discounted devices they will sell before October anyway...
    I'm not sure we'll see Z10 back in production alone... not even sure for Z30 ... 100% speculation though, Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Agree, it makes no sense to build more devices to be sold at a loss, without some marketing strategy to go with it.

There was a purpose in MS/NOKIA selling at cost or below.... and it seems to have worked.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-07-14 09:03 PM
    05-07-14 09:19 PM
    Love my Z30, but, will try that windermere unit too.

OT, but Windermere BC Canada has some SPECTACULAR Golf, Camping, hiking, skiing...etc...etc.

If you love the outdoors come on down.

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    05-07-14 10:38 PM
    Hi all:

Here is my updated BBRY chart. Don't get confused with the amount of lines on the chart. In my previous post, I drew 5 lines that represent the possible uptrend lines. We are on the fifth one, line e. This is the bottom blue line on Morgan's chart as well. When the SP went to the low $7.0x., it was very oversold, and bounced.

Where would the SP go now? What patterns does the chart show? I think, the next two to three trading days would be important to tell, where the SP is going, because if the SP bounces around $7.10, and creates a higher high than the recent $8.15, then this shows better validation of line e as the uptrend line. If not, then it will be tough. I don't see any of the usual wedge, triangles, flags at the moment on the daily chart at the moment.

On the weekly chart though, supporting the case for the bounce around $7.10 on the daily chart, there is a possibility (still too early to tell) for an ascending triangle pattern. The top line is the blue line, and the bottom line is line e (thin navy blue line). The key here is not to break line e.

Also, both buying and selling pressure have decreased at the same time, after creating the recent $8.15 high. I take this as a draw. Neither buying nor selling trend is strong. The low trading volume in the past 2 weeks supports this reading as well.

The next ER is 6/27/2014. All the best to us longs.

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-05-08-1.20.24-am.jpg

Weekly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-05-08-2.00.48-am.jpg
    05-08-14 01:05 AM
    OT: Security related

Data breaches skyrocket, financial industry hit hardest

Pupul Dutta | New Delhi | Updated: May 07 2014, 13:48 IST

SafeNet, today released highlights from its SafeNet Breach Level Index (BLI) report for the first quarter of 2014. According to the report, almost 200 million records were stolen, the equivalent of approximately 93,000 records stolen every hour, between January and March, marking an increase of 233% over the same time last year. Of the 254 data breaches that occurred during the quarter, only 1% were “secure breaches,” or breaches where strong encryption, key management, or authentication solutions protected the data from being used.

Some of the reports' highlight show that more than 254 data breaches were publicised, representing 200 million lost or stolen data records. South Korea took the top spot of all countries with four of the top five breaches worldwide and a loss of 158 million records across a variety of industries. This represents 79% of the total number of reported breached records worldwide. These four breaches included the Korea Credit Bureau, Korean Medical Association, Korea Telecom, and Naver, a major Korean search portal.

While the number of South Korean breached records was extremely high, the number of breach incidents in Asia Pacific as a whole accounted for only 7% of the total number of global breaches, dwarfed by the 78% (199 incidents) that occurred in North America and 13% in Europe.

The financial industry was hit hardest, accounting for 56% of all data records lost or stolen. However, it represented 14% of total breaches during the quarter.

About 20% of all records lost or stolen came from the technology industry, while retail represented just 1% of data records lost or stolen and 10% of all data breaches, even including the Sally Beauty Supply breach, which made major headlines.

Government and education breaches accounted for less than 1% of total records stolen and 23% of data breaches.

The white noise of data breach reporting makes every breach seem just as bad as the last, but this is certainly not the case. Some organisations are handling customer data responsibly, and others are not. Tools like the Breach Level Index can help companies and the public alike understand the actual severity of breaches on a graduated scale and distinguish between these two groups,” said Tsion Gonen, Chief Strategy Officer, SafeNet. “In differentiating between secure and insecure breaches, it’s important to look at which victims have protected their data with encryption to limit the damage from a breach and render the date unusable to cyber criminals.”
    05-08-14 05:21 AM
    It seems it really does not matter how careful we are with our own data if the people we must trust it with get hacked on a daily basis!

I am betting we only hear about a small percentage of hacks and most are kept secret!
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-08-14 06:13 AM
    Just bought a new unlocked white Q10 from Blackberry.com for $299 CAD. Great price IMO.
    If it were on sale for that price in the UK, that would be very nice.

05-08-14 07:10 AM
113,256 ... 25982599260026012602 ...